Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Options

Comments

Just found this thread now. Very exciting so far. I can't even remember which song I submitted :pac:

Something by Oasis I think

I better stop I wont be laughing too long this round, :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

13th Place - The Kills - Future Starts Slow

The really great thing I love about Walrus is being submitted something you've never heard before. New Bands, New songs and for me, thats what Walrus really should be all about. It's trying to introduce somebody to something that they havent heard before. Something new, Something different.

The caveat to that of course, is that it might be something you just dont like. This submission fits that latter part I'm afraid. I gave it a lot of listens, so much so that it's now one of my top suggested listens on youtube, but i just couldnt get into it. I liked the drumbeats to start with but the guitar intro didnt do it for me. It kinda felt like I was listening to like a deeper, darker Electric 6 and that just didnt work for me.

13th Place - 3 points to
    Fixxxer

but thank you so much for giving me something new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Just found this thread now. Very exciting so far. I can't even remember which song I submitted :pac:

You won!

(the first round)

The next 7 submissions are all songs that i have heard at least 400 million billion times each and they all have elements that are good but its hard to rank something when you've heard it so much and on one day you could be like "oh yay" and then on another you'd be like " Oh god, not this again". All but one would have iconic intros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Iconic intro that you've heard a million times - we must be getting Sweet Child O'Mine soon, right?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Iconic intro that you've heard a million times - we must be getting Sweet Child O'Mine soon, right?

I'm hoping for some Blue Oyster Cult. Was one I was going to pull the trigger on but decided to annoy Rikand sufficiently with some Oasis instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I know I'm in that 7...but where?

12th Place :: The Doors - Riders on the storm

This is just one of those songs that has long since lost its sheen for me. Its obviously a great classic song with a really wonderful intro and I love that step down tinkle of the piano, but I just dont have the love for this song like I used to when I was a teenager.

12th Place - 4 points to
    Partyjungle

Necro wrote: »
    decided to annoy Rikand sufficiently with some Oasis :pac:

If that's what you set out to do then you're the true winner here!

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    I know I'm in that 7...but where?

I think I am too, ive only heard my song a few time though until recently mind, Rikand probably has a billion as he says

Rikand wrote: »
    1st Place :: Poolside - Harvest Moon (Neil Young Cover)

This is my jam. Sweet Raspberry Jam. That wonderfully laidback loungey housey feel, the claps, the sweet soft vocals. It's not quite Betoko, but it's close. Damn is it close. After the first minute of listening to this, I knew it wasnt going to be outside my top 3 no matter what else was submitted. Every single ounce of this song is me. So laidback, so chilled. It took me right back to my honeymoon, in San Diego and the chilled out way of life.... the beach, the waves, the sunsets, the pool at the Pacific Terrace Hotel, I was just......I'm there right now. I am there!

1st Place - 15 points to
    Partyjungle

Woooooo! I'm touched.

First time I heard this song, I thought it was utterly sacrilegious. I love the original so much that messing with it felt wrong. It was on my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify. But that bass line is hard to not love. The chilled, floaty vibes are fantastic. I think you mentioned you were into chilled edm so this one made perfect sense.

I absolutely love that Ben Folds track too. Was on heavy rotation a few years back. First hooked me with the humour but turns out it's a really good tune to boot.

I'm definitely in that group too, but I beat my last round ranking so onwards and upwards :)

15th Place :: Death Cab for Cutie - Brothers on a hotel bed

The thing about death cab for me is you kinda have to be in the right mood and frame of mind to enjoy them. Like, Follow you into the dark is probably their song I know best and I liked it, but it worked for me at a time when I was kinda in that frame of mind and I'm not in that frame of mind anymore so the song has lost that sheen. This death cab song is one of those songs where I feel I would have to be in the right frame of mind to really enjoy it. And after listening to it for 4-5 days, not once did I enter that frame of mind. The intro is a very nice tinkle of the piano keys. The song in general has a nice beat to it but I just never enjoyed the vocal at all. If this had been an instrumental, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more

15th place - 1 point to
    Deleted User

Oh well, I regret nothing :pac:

osh wrote: »
    I'm definitely in that group too, but I beat my last round ranking so onwards and upwards :)

As am I

Woooooo! I'm touched.

First time I heard this song, I thought it was utterly sacrilegious. I love the original so much that messing with it felt wrong. It was on my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify. But that bass line is hard to not love. The chilled, floaty vibes are fantastic. I think you mentioned you were into chilled edm so this one made perfect sense.

I absolutely love that Ben Folds track too. Was on heavy rotation a few years back. First hooked me with the humour but turns out it's a really good tune to boot.

Yeah new one to me, and I have to say when I listened first I was the same. The original is just such a great song.

Now don't get me wrong, I still prefer the original but this one has grown on me a bit with the different slant.

11th Place :: Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper

"I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more cowbell!" Really is one of the greatest intros of all time and the melody that carries right through the song is great. But for me, the best thing about the song was the Saturday night live sketch lol

11th Place - 5 points to
    tritium

Necro wrote: »
    I'm hoping for some Blue Oyster Cult. Was one I was going to pull the trigger on but decided to annoy Rikand sufficiently with some Oasis instead :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yay for Blue Oyster Cult!!

First heard that when watching the adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand.

It was probably about the best part of the entire six hours, not gonna lie.

Oh well, I regret nothing :pac:

That's the way it should be Stu, I like all the songs i picked (still disagree with Rikands comments on Mercy Seat :pac:), but not everyone's gonna like the same stuff and that's the way it should be.

toooooooooooone

• Advertisement

Great track

11th Place :: Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper

"I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more cowbell!" Really is one of the greatest intros of all time and the melody that carries right through the song is great. But for me, the best thing about the song was the Saturday night live sketch lol

11th Place - 5 points to
    tritium

Needs more cowbell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

That's the way it should be Stu, I like all the songs i picked (still disagree with Rikands comments on Mercy Seat :pac:), but not everyone's gonna like the same stuff and that's the way it should be.

Absolutely. I love fixxxer's submission for this round myself and would have it far higher on the list but it really is so individual.

Great pick, Trit.

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Absolutely. I love fixxxer's submission for this round myself and would have it far higher on the list but it really is so individual.

Agreed. I've never heard it before but I really enjoyed it!

Loads of great songs no doubt but Trit picked 2 songs now I'd have had way higher for me,

10th Place :: The Who - Baba O'Riley

My least favourite The Who track but still good enough to place 10th in this. Any other The Who song comes much higher. The intro is one of those all time classic recognisable intros, but i never loved the song as a whole. Of all the submissions I think i only listened to this 3 times and that was mostly because I ended up going off and listening to other The Who tracks instead. Who Are You would have been a great one here! ;)

Baba is probably the only The Who track I would turn off if I heard it coming on the radio :(

10th Place - 6 points to
    Pretzill

Rikand. You’re wrong :D

Yeah new one to me, and I have to say when I listened first I was the same. The original is just such a great song.

Now don't get me wrong, I still prefer the original but this one has grown on me a bit with the different slant.

The Poolside is so, so different that they're pretty much two different songs in my head now. I almost feel it's just the lyrics that are the only thing they have in common. I absolutely love the melancholic lyrics from it. "... But I'm still in love with you" has always struck a chord with me.

• Advertisement

10th is good enough for me - wouldnt be a huge fav either but it's hard to beat the intro :)

Advertisement