Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Options

Comments

so so so many great songs i havent listened to, there really is not enough time in the world for all the music on offer,

regretting my forays into the world of electronic music in some categories now though :rolleyes:

Well done PJ, this really is a cool idea Rik

Thank Rikand and everyone for the tunes.

Oh and I finished my honeymoon in San Diego too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thanks Rikand

I thought this was going to be a full reveal but you're respecting everyone's choice by doing it in rounds, it also gives us a chance to listen to all the entries!

I think I'm probably a lot older than most of you judging by the covers :D but I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Covers for me is not in the "Xfactor You really made it your own" realm so I think I would have almost turned this round upside down..."hums I am the walrus..falls asleep." :o

Looking forward with trepidation to round two!

Wow! I 100% agree with that choice of winner. I love it. I've never heard it before but it will be going into heavy rotation here!

I also really loved boy & bear- fall at your feet. I'll be checking out more from them!

My other take aways from this are disturbed sound of silence and portishead SOS.(I get what electric nitwit is saying, the words probably do suit that tone better).

Thanks again Rikand. Looking forward to the next one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The movie is actually good too, featuring a rare dramatic performance from Adam Sandler as a broken widower who lost his family on 9/11. I'd recommend it.

Can't really speak knowledgeably about music, but I do like my films, and I WHOLLY agree with you here. People talk about Adam Sandler's dramatic performance in Punch Drunk Love, but NEVER seem to talk about it in this film. I thought it was excellent.

(Now, carry on with music talk :))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Looking forward to going through these today.

Gonna give Boy and Bear a listen over the weekend. I hadn’t heard of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

First listen of category 2 done and already looking a much tougher prospect. Some absolute classics in there, some that are maybe too obvious and spoiled by how much I have listener to them in the past and then a couple that just don't work for me at all. One clear winner so far though. We'll see how it survives the relistens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Listening back to a few I missed last night - really enjoying Heartbeats, Boy & Bear and Disturbed - hadn't heard any of these covers before so thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Yeah, really enjoying the different songs. I sense a new playlist...Boards Beats perhaps :)

I am just creating one. Spotify has a few of the version missing though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Rikand wrote: »
    2nd Place :: Ben Folds - B!tches aint sh!t (Dr. Dre Cover Version) [NSFW or for Children or people of a sensitive nature]

I smiled and I laughed the whole way through this. I dont think I have ever heard the original before but it made me pay attention to how graphically sexually explicit rap songs can be and Ben Folds made me laugh the whole way through it. I went and checked out the same version, but with lyrics printed on the screen this morning just to get a full appreciation for the content of the song and it delivered! He sings it in such a wonderfully soft tone that contrasts so severely with the language in use. Strong lyrics, sung by such a gentle voice. I've always had a passing interest in Ben Folds, like Rocking the Suburbs, but I have found a new love after this.

with lyrics printed on screen if you like that sort of thing :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-l-c3rTlnE

2nd Place - 14 points to
    mollyb60

I LOVE this Dr Dre rap using Hamilton cords. Incredible

My heart is overflowing with love for this MOLLY, did you know this?

Apologies to Rikand but I'll Pimp Ectos game here.

Until we get a Walrus sign up notification thread it might not be a bad idea to do this after sign up, has closed on others threads

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057994092

People can just follow the already created walrus signups thread if they want to keep a check on things in the meantime :)

whoops :o

I like 3, at the least 2nd choice songs for this do people post that kind of thing or save them for future walrus.

We could run ultimate walrus or xafctor walrus at some stage.

Songs and genres decided by each judge points same and a combination, score

It'd probably take ages but it could be fun

Lol <3

I like 3, at the least 2nd choice songs for this do people post that kind of thing or save them for future walrus.

We could run ultimate walrus or xafctor walrus at some stage.

Songs and genres decided by each judge points same and a combination, score

It'd probably take ages but it could be fun

Yeah, you'd need people who could commit the time but I have seen walruses done with 2 judges, I think they averaged out their scores to get the placings though. Either way, yes, can be done and is fun, especially for the entrants as you're trying to match categories while trying to balance moderator preferences and set their world alight lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Absolutely delighted with second for this category. I almost chose a different song for this but the Ben Folds version is just so funny I couldn't resist it. Folds is one of my favourite singers ever and is ****ing fantastic fun live. Saw him perform this song last year in Belfast and the crowd went ****ing nuts for it. Then we had a dance party at the end of it and life was good.

Tempted to post my original choice to see what people think...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Caught up on all of these yesterday

The Disturbed cover of Sound of Silence is great, that was new to me

The Ben Folds cover is, by turns, amazing, hilarious, terrifying. I don't know if "like" would be the right word but I thought it was amazing

Still can't believe no-one picked this :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭tritium

They both would have done very well.

Still provisionally planning on a Tuesday evening reveal for next category but struggling to rank songs aorn. I have a clear top3 and a clear bottom3 and no idea what to do with what's in between

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote:
    Still provisionally planning on a Tuesday evening reveal for next category but struggling to rank songs aorn. I have a clear top3 and a clear bottom3 and no idea what to do with what's in between

I'm scared, due to previous comments :pac:

Rikand wrote: »
    ... a clear bottom3

giphy.gif

It sort of feels like we're being judged ourselves. It's kinda nerve wracking! :D

Still can't believe no-one picked this :P

Ah the 90s...what a time :D

I almost submitted this instead of my Pearl Jam cover entry...

Haunting.

It sort of feels like we're being judged ourselves. It's kinda nerve wracking! :D

At least its subjective judging though :)

Wonderwall, I don't really mind wonderwall

I actually started to like it back in the 90's because of mike flowers. Developed more of an appreciation for it when it wasn't Liam Gallagher singing

Reveal will start during or just after love island depending on how glued I am to it lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote:
    Reveal will start during or just after love island depending on how glued I am to it lol

I was literally coming here to ask about what time as I have a date with alcohol this evening :)

Advertisement