Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The Knife coming up has reminded me of Fever Ray covering Mercy Street by Peter Gabriel, wish I'd remembered that before

SEVENTH SSEEVVEENNTTHH!!! I'm so pleased with that! :):):) Glad some others liked my pick too.

I'm really enjoying this. I listen to each song as I wait for the next reveal and I'm really liking some of them! One stand out for me so far but I'll wait and see what else is revealed before I say my own fave.

This is fun!

Necro wrote: »
    You should do a Walrus Stu, I'd love to see your version ;)

I still can't get my head around Sheep/peehS :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I still can't get my head around Sheep/peehS

Aye, this is more your style though :D

That song is a blast from the past. Lyrics are brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

5th Place :: Disturbed - The Sound of Silence (Simon and Garfunkel Cover Version)

This song got more listens from me than any other song. And that's because I found it very hard to categorize where I thought it should be ranked in my list. I'm a massive fan of the original. It's one of my favourite songs of all time, which is why I find it so hard to judge a cover version of it. I'm a fan of Disturbed and I've known the song for years and when I first received it, i instantly put it in my bottom 6 because I was just like : "Eh, its okay" basing on my poor memory and my love of the original. But the more I listened to the song, the more I really began to appreciate the vocal qualities on display. The slow low build up right up to the powerful finish. It really is a great song! I found myself absentmindedly singing it in the car a lot.

5th Place - 11 points to
    Deleted User

Brilliant!

I very much enjoy a heavy metal band which has a stand out singer, always a fan of system of a down when I was younger.

And that video is very cool imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Trust Mick to come up with that, feckin great cover. I am SO out of my depth here LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Wow Mick, that's a new one for me and I love it. Huge Simon & Garfunkel fan but that's a great version of it. Cool video too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

That is my favourite version of that song , plagued the kids with it , they love it too now !
    Excellent choices here , some I haven't heard before , great game :)

4th Place :: Pearl Jam - Love Reign O'er Me (The Who Cover Version)

Okay, I'm a massive Pearl Jam fan. Eddie Vedder is just one of the greatest singers of all time. If I was stuck on a desert island and told I could only have one song forever, Hungerstrike with him and Cornell would be pretty close to the top of that list. Ten is in my top 3 favourite albums of all time. I'm a big fan. When I said for category 5, that I was looking for voices that were like instruments in their own right, Vedder is a great example of that. This song is no exception. He really belts it out there and while the song is very similar to the original from The Who which I also love, Pearl Jam perform it so well that this was always in my Top 6, right from the first listen.

4th Place - 12 points to
    Deleted User

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Loving the Sound of Silence :)

Top 3 Hype

Our remaining contestants
    Barney
    Mollyb
    partyjungle

3rd Place :: Presentation School Choir Kilkenny - Adiemus (Karl Jenkins Cover Version)

This. Blew. Me. Away. I just was not expecting to love this as much as I did. From the first listen, I just smiled, the whole way through and really really enjoyed the performance. I still smile everytime I listen to it. Visually, its excellent too. The actions of the choir. Just, the whole thing, totally magic. And only 3 minutes long, its a perfect length for a piece like this for me.

3rd Place - 13 points to
    Barney92

Top 2

I found this so hard to separate. These two pieces hit on exactly what I was looking for in the cover versions category. They are completely different from the originals. IMO, they are far better than the originals. They hit me in all the right places. You two just captured the exact essence that i was searching for and you nailed it. Hard for me to pick a winner, but there is one....

Rikand wrote: »
    4th Place :: Pearl Jam - Love Reign O'er Me (The Who Cover Version)

Okay, I'm a massive Pearl Jam fan. Eddie Vedder is just one of the greatest singers of all time. If I was stuck on a desert island and told I could only have one song forever, Hungerstrike with him and Cornell would be pretty close to the top of that list. Ten is in my top 3 favourite albums of all time. I'm a big fan. When I said for category 5, that I was looking for voices that were like instruments in their own right, Vedder is a great example of that. This song is no exception. He really belts it out there and while the song is very similar to the original from The Who which I also love, Pearl Jam perform it so well that this was always in my Top 6, right from the first listen.

4th Place - 12 points to
    Deleted User

Always liked ya Rikand :D

You're spot on about the song. It isn't the kind of cover which reinvents the original, it just goes balls to the wall in trying to pay tribute to the original. When that song came out in 2007, I was floored that Vedder still had that performance in his locker.

The movie is actually good too, featuring a rare dramatic performance from Adam Sandler as a broken widower who lost his family on 9/11. I'd recommend it.

Rikand wrote: »
    Top 2

I found this so hard to separate. These two pieces hit on exactly what I was looking for in the cover versions category. They are completely different from the originals. IMO, they are far better than the originals. They hit me in all the right places. You two just captured the exact essence that i was searching for and you nailed it. Hard for me to pick a winner, but there is one....

Sinead O'Connor-Nothing Compares?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Sinead O'Connor-Nothing Compares?

Easy to forget that's a cover.

It's nearly time for Mike Flowers Pops, isn't it?

• Advertisement

2nd Place :: Ben Folds - B!tches aint sh!t (Dr. Dre Cover Version) [NSFW or for Children or people of a sensitive nature]

I smiled and I laughed the whole way through this. I dont think I have ever heard the original before but it made me pay attention to how graphically sexually explicit rap songs can be and Ben Folds made me laugh the whole way through it. I went and checked out the same version, but with lyrics printed on the screen this morning just to get a full appreciation for the content of the song and it delivered! He sings it in such a wonderfully soft tone that contrasts so severely with the language in use. Strong lyrics, sung by such a gentle voice. I've always had a passing interest in Ben Folds, like Rocking the Suburbs, but I have found a new love after this.

with lyrics printed on screen if you like that sort of thing :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-l-c3rTlnE

2nd Place - 14 points to
    mollyb60

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Love that

1st Place :: Poolside - Harvest Moon (Neil Young Cover)

This is my jam. Sweet Raspberry Jam. That wonderfully laidback loungey housey feel, the claps, the sweet soft vocals. It's not quite Betoko, but it's close. Damn is it close. After the first minute of listening to this, I knew it wasnt going to be outside my top 3 no matter what else was submitted. Every single ounce of this song is me. So laidback, so chilled. It took me right back to my honeymoon, in San Diego and the chilled out way of life.... the beach, the waves, the sunsets, the pool at the Pacific Terrace Hotel, I was just......I'm there right now. I am there!

1st Place - 15 points to
    Partyjungle

Funny I had originally thought about entering Nina Gordons cover of Straight out of Compton for the lols.

Some savage tracks in the top 10 it must be said, nicely picked folks and congrats PJ :D

Looking forward to the next installment where I resume my battle for the wooden spoon :pac:

Thanks Rikand this is a lot of fun!

I've not been able to listen to the last few so have pulled together a playlist in Google Play Music for the car tomorrow

In case anyone wants a listen...
    https://play.google.com/music/playlist/AMaBXykWJzlAe63S2X5QkXrvB0Aws0hHfYuYxVAvKHmatIqQx8ZTgbNQYncx_vib4ZODvYIrOT4LPlAh3tyx-aJFBQS2qReOsQ%3D%3D

No Portishead, London Grammar, Pearl Jam or school choir I'm afraid

Thanks for the reveal Rikand, very professionally done! Looking forward to Q2 :)

That cover is brilliant. Never heard it before and I love it. A worthy 1st place finish there.

My first dance song!!!!

(Neil Young version)

Thanks Rikand. This is great craic. I'm already thinking up categories for my own version of Walrus :)

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone who submitted songs for the first category. On the whole, I really did enjoy listening to the songs for this category. The rest of the categories have got a lot to live up to!

next reveal will probably be Tuesday evening as I have a busy weekend ahead of me, so won't get through the songs quickly enough :)

Advertisement