Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 239 Jones Vs Santos

Options
1810121314

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0


    walshb wrote:
    Cormier was beaten because Jones was simply superior both times. Next to nothing to do with clean or not clean..all to do with skill and talent.

    Superior because of steroids


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill


    walshb wrote: »
    Cormier was beaten because Jones was simply superior both times. Next to nothing to do with clean or not clean..all to do with skill and talent.

    That's simply not true. Why do you think people take performance enhancing drugs then?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo


    Was Santos carrying that injury into the fight? I thought his physique looked very soft compared to his normal.fighting shape


  • Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Superior because of steroids

    Nonsense. He is far more skilled and versatile..


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead


    JJayoo wrote: »
    Was Santos carrying that injury into the fight? I thought his physique looked very soft compared to his normal.fighting shape

    Same, was wondering where the jacked looking Santos had gone.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob


    I'm surprised at the number of people saying there is no one currently who could beat Nunes. Valentina is the obvious candidate. Their first fight was a clear victory for Nunes, but it was obvious that had it gone longer than 3 rounds she would have been in trouble. But to my mind Bullet definitely won their last fight. I have rewatched it several times since and I have seen nothing to change my mind. It was close, but it was clear. If I recall correctly, the large majority of media analysts watching also scored the fight for Bullet. While not exactly a robbery, nonetheless she was blessed to get that decision from the judges imho.

    I am actually a big fan of Nunes, I love to watch her fight is she a definite contender for wmma goat. But I think Bullet can feel pretty aggrieved that that belt is not on her shoulder.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill


    walshb wrote: »
    Nonsense. He is far more skilled and versatile..

    Why dya reckon he bothers taking PEDs then? Hobby?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler


    Same, was wondering where the jacked looking Santos had gone.

    Don't know prefight but his kneepopped early doors.


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor


    mangobob wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the number of people saying there is no one currently who could beat Nunes. Valentina is the obvious candidate. Their first fight was a clear victory for Nunes, but it was obvious that had it gone longer than 3 rounds she would have been in trouble. But to my mind Bullet definitely won their last fight. I have rewatched it several times since and I have seen nothing to change my mind. It was close, but it was clear. If I recall correctly, the large majority of media analysts watching also scored the fight for Bullet. While not exactly a robbery, nonetheless she was blessed to get that decision from the judges imho.

    I am actually a big fan of Nunes, I love to watch her fight is she a definite contender for wmma goat. But I think Bullet can feel pretty aggrieved that that belt is not on her shoulder.

    The media was pretty much split down the middle. But since then Valentina has moved to 125lbs. That's not in her favour in a rematch. Especially when Nunes took a trip to 145 in the interim.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1


    walshb wrote: »
    Cormier was beaten because Jones was simply superior both times.

    Yeah that and all the steroid sandwiches. Both losses are scrapped in my mind because Jones cheated. Simple as that. If he does beat DC clean at some stage in the future then fair enough.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor


    Yeah that and all the steroid sandwiches. Both losses are scrapped in my mind because Jones cheated. Simple as that. If he does beat DC clean at some stage in the future then fair enough.
    He only popped for one of them. Or are you writing off everything prior too?

    I'm not saying he was clean when he didn't pop. I'm just wondering where do we draw the line. Or does it even matter with cheaters?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17


    Just saw the askren ko. What a classless prick masvidel is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1


    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Just saw the askren ko. What a classless prick masvidel is.

    Yeah i like the fact that a boring takedown machine like Askren go KO'd in that way but the way Masvidal was going on after it was poor form. Not good.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler


    Yeah i like the fact that a boring takedown machine like Askren go KO'd in that way but the way Masvidal was going on after it was poor form. Not good.

    Really after calling him a Street urchant and the lowest in society in reference to coming from the street.

    Ben got what he deserved probably not enough.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken


    Yeah that and all the steroid sandwiches. Both losses are scrapped in my mind because Jones cheated. Simple as that. If he does beat DC clean at some stage in the future then fair enough.

    The benefits of taking steroids have been shown to last for over 10 years after last taking them, so he will never be clean for the rest of his career


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins


    I find it weird that people can act as classless as possible before a fight and people call it "Promotion" but if someone goads someone post-fight it's a no-no.

    It's still two lads fighting in a cage. You can't expect everyone to act like it's the old Japanese Samurai days


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99


    MrStuffins wrote: »
    I find it weird that people can act as classless as possible before a fight and people call it "Promotion" but if someone goads someone post-fight it's a no-no.

    It's still two lads fighting in a cage. You can't expect everyone to act like it's the old Japanese Samurai days

    Agreed.

    Nothing worse than hearing two "enemy's" talk afterwards about how they were hamming it up to sell a fight.

    Live by the sword die by the sword. I very much enjoy Askren but he always had that coming to him after the way he's been talking about people.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob


    Mellor wrote: »
    The media was pretty much split down the middle.

    You could be right. Maybe it was just the particular outlets or analysts I was watching at the time that gave me that impression.
    But since then Valentina has moved to 125lbs. That's not in her favour in a rematch. Especially when Nunes took a trip to 145 in the interim.

    Fair point. But I would still be very interested in seeing them clash again at 135. I think if anyone is going to give her a run for her money there, its Bullet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316


    Amanda Nunes has now finished every 135lb/145lb champion in UFC/Bellator history in the first round.

    Ronda Rousey - TKO, RD 1 - 0:48
    Germaine de Randamie - TKO, RD 1 - 3:56
    Cris Cyborg - KO, RD 1 - 0:51
    Julia Budd - TKO, RD 1- 0:14
    Miesha Tate - SUB, RD 1 - 3:16
    Holly Holm - TKO, RD 1 - 4:10


    #thegoat

    And has beaten schevchenko twice (a fight I wouldn't mind seen again though)

    I absolutely loathe Rogan and his calling everyone the goat but she absolutely deserves that title.


  • Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye


    dulux99 wrote:
    Live by the sword die by the sword. I very much enjoy Askren but he always had that coming to him after the way he's been talking about people.
    Nobody ever has that coming to them. You beat the man that's fine and it was a horrific ko but got my after a knocked out fighter is scummy behaviour. Going down in your knees slapping the floor beside him afterwards is every bit as bad and then mouthing off in the post fight interview just shows that you really are a POS.
    I'd love that see him get his ass handed to him in.his next fight.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner


    It was hendo bisping all over again there and much as I wanted to see bens ass being handed to him I hated the afters

    I like masvidal as a fighter but the more I listen to him the
    harder I find it


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout


    rob316 wrote: »
    Amanda Nunes has now finished every 135lb/145lb champion in UFC/Bellator history in the first round.

    Ronda Rousey - TKO, RD 1 - 0:48
    Germaine de Randamie - TKO, RD 1 - 3:56
    Cris Cyborg - KO, RD 1 - 0:51
    Julia Budd - TKO, RD 1- 0:14
    Miesha Tate - SUB, RD 1 - 3:16
    Holly Holm - TKO, RD 1 - 4:10


    #thegoat

    And has beaten schevchenko twice (a fight I wouldn't mind seen again though)

    I absolutely loathe Rogan and his calling everyone the goat but she absolutely deserves that title.

    Clearly she needs to call out Nicco Montaño so that she can say that she's beaten all of the flyweight champions too!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired


    MrStuffins wrote: »
    I find it weird that people can act as classless as possible before a fight and people call it "Promotion" but if someone goads someone post-fight it's a no-no.

    It's still two lads fighting in a cage. You can't expect everyone to act like it's the old Japanese Samurai days

    So you think mocking someone pre fight is the same as mocking them when you've not only won, but the guy is unconscious and possibly seriously injured?

    Once you've won you don't need to do that when the guy has just suffered the equivalent of a head on car crash


  • Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    So you think mocking someone pre fight is the same as mocking them when you've not only won, but the guy is unconscious and possibly seriously injured?

    Once you've won you don't need to do that when the guy has just suffered the equivalent of a head on car crash

    That’s just it. Some MMA fans have no standards, and no common decency.

    Masvidal’s actions post KO should not go unpunished. Jesus, the sport is tough and rough enough as it is, and a bloody hard sell to many, without fighters behaving like out and out thugs..

    His actions do nothing but damage the credibility and sellability’ of the sport..


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous


    So you think mocking someone pre fight is the same as mocking them when you've not only won, but the guy is unconscious and possibly seriously injured?

    Once you've won you don't need to do that when the guy has just suffered the equivalent of a head on car crash
    I'm not personally a fan of people saying whatever they want beforehand, and id prefer to see a lot less of it, but no matter what you are going to get in there with them and give them the opportunity to get some revenge if it bothered them, but dancihg around and shouting at a person knocked out on the ground is just back alley thuggery


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins


    So you think mocking someone pre fight is the same as mocking them when you've not only won, but the guy is unconscious and possibly seriously injured?

    Once you've won you don't need to do that when the guy has just suffered the equivalent of a head on car crash

    They're not the same. But people can't just assume it's all fake. Sometimes there's bad blood.

    They're all big boys and so are we.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_


    MrStuffins wrote: »
    They're not the same. But people can't just assume it's all fake. Sometimes there's bad blood.

    They're all big boys and so are we.

    What Jorge said in the post fight press conference is true, talk **** before the be prepared to also take it after the fight. Especially when there is actually bad bold between them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal


    Mocking an unconscious opponent is nonsense regardless of how much of a dick he is.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction


    Didn't see the fight but seen a lot of people and journalist on Twitter had Santos winning 1, 2 and 5.

    Dana then says anyone judge who scored the fight for Santos is a moron and should never judge a fight again


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus


    walshb wrote: »
    That’s just it. Some MMA fans have no standards, and no common decency.

    Masvidal’s actions post KO should not go unpunished. Jesus, the sport is tough and rough enough as it is, and a bloody hard sell to many, without fighters behaving like out and out thugs..

    His actions do nothing but damage the credibility and sellability’ of the sport..

    LOL no.
    You'd swear he was the first prize fighter to do this, it's not uncommon, and it's not just MMA.
    Askren was being his usual troll self, he had that coming.


Advertisement