Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 239 Jones Vs Santos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

Jones didnt seem that active, probably the leg kicks in the first round slowed him down. Still he was the aggressor moving forward. Santos seem to have a dodgy knee from second round, didnt seem to move well, was relying on Jones to come forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Can't believe a fight that never went to ground/grappling could be so dismally boring.

2 lads walking in circles, kicking each other in the shins every once in a while for 5 rounds.

I'm never going to bother watching Jones fight again. Despite his dominance it's a totally joyless experience. The flying knee attempt was the only interesting part.

I would rather they outlaw the stupid leg to leg kicks if guys are going to fight like that. It's so dumb to have a fight decided by who ends up less hobbled, and I don't want to see good fighters get hurt that way.

Nunes is just a class apart. Holly looked awful, left herself so wide open she was begging to eat that kick.

I really thought that despite the spectacle of Masvidals 5 sec KO, the two shots he landed when his opponent wad clearly already slumped and his taunting afterwards really turned me off and made the sport look bad. Disgusting stuff actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I would rather they outlaw the stupid leg to leg kicks ......

Time for bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

eagle eye wrote: »
    Gotta agree with that.

He doesn't seem like a nice guy so I'm not surprised, at first when masvidal went down beside Ben after the knock out I thought he was checking him out to see was he OK , replay showed him tapping, I can see why some people like masvidal. I'm pissed off the fight didn't go a few rounds. Nunes is class, rock hold wasn't at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Meh, such a boring main event. Nothing Jones can do in that division could even be remotely interesting unless it's a fight against DC again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't understand why ben ran for a single... makes no sense.

Wrestler instincts kicked in. If somebody rushes like that in wrestling, changing levels for the takedown is the normal reaction.
    He ducked as a response Jorge closing distance not the jump. That's s is a good angle.

https://streamable.com/0xi4r

Yeah sticking your head right into an oncoming flying knee is certainly an unorthodox method of defending against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Looking at the women's Bantemweight rankings and I can't see anyone beating Nunes. Germaine de Randamie is the number 1 ranked fighter so she may be next though I'd say she will be next. Aspen Ladd so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave her a shot either tbh.

Masvidal's knockout of Askren was scary and I hated the two punches Jorge gave him afterwards, there was no need he was clearly out, I hate when fighters do that. His choice of celebration afterwards was a dick move too but he may very well get the next title shot. UFC promoted the fight as a fight for Welterweight title contention.

I don't like or dislike Luke Rockhold but his constant dropping of his arms and smiling at Blachowicz was so arrogant, especially when he was getting hit doing it. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

This is how I felt, very close, think Santos won 1 and 2, and Jones shaded the last 3, but I think you could give any round to either of them.

Jones looked gunshy most of the fight.

Jones looked a bit fat (for an MMA fighter).

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

Autecher wrote: »
    Looking at the women's Bantemweight rankings and I can't see anyone beating Nunes. Germaine de Randamie is the number 1 ranked fighter so she may be next though I'd say she will be next. Aspen Ladd so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave her a shot either tbh.

Masvidal's knockout of Askren was scary and I hated the two punches Jorge gave him afterwards, there was no need he was clearly out, I hate when fighters do that. His choice of celebration afterwards was a dick move too but he may very well get the next title shot. UFC promoted the fight as a fight for Welterweight title contention.

I don't like or dislike Luke Rockhold but his constant dropping of his arms and smiling at Blachowicz was so arrogant, especially when he was getting hit doing it. Mad stuff.

Yeah its dependent on the ref getting their in time, in this case he was on the other side of the cage. Cant really blame the fighter in that case, because they are all fired up and don't really know if the other fighter is KO'd or not. Unless they bring in a counting system like boxing, which has its own problems because fighters can end up taken even more damage after they survive the count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Main event was very close.
    I had Santos 2 up, Jones 3 and 4.
    Last one was very tight.

Have to imagine if his knee hadn’t of given out we would have a new champion now.

Jones hasn’t been impressive in a long time in my opinion. Juice based.... maybe.

I thought Holly was looking ok till she threw that half oblique kick and then changed her mind and left herself wide open. A Cyborg rematch or a Valentina fight look the only people that have any chance against Amanda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

chuchuchu wrote: »
    Yeah its dependent on the ref getting their in time, in this case he was on the other side of the cage. Cant really blame the fighter in that case, because they are all fired up and don't really know if the other fighter is KO'd or not. Unless they bring in a counting system like boxing, which has its own problems because fighters can end up taken even more damage after they survive the count.
    In some cases yeah it's definitely a fired up fighter or the fighter doesn't know the other guy is knocked out. I understand the mentality of "keep hitting until the ref stops it" is drilled into fighters mma fighters from the start but there have been fights before where fighters have recognised their opponent is out and they stop. There was no doubt at all that Askren was out, the way his body flopped to the ground (which Jorge mocked afterwards so he knew), the only reason he punched him after that is because he wanted to and the ref was on the otherside so couldn't get there in time to prevent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jones looked a bit fat (for an MMA fighter).

giphy.gif

chuchuchu wrote: »

You're telling me he didn't know he was out? He was stiff as a board, arm fencing before he even hit the mat. Professional fighters generally won't lie there on their back with their face uncovered in a fight if they are awake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Delighted for Askren!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Most satisfying KO I've seen in a long time. Lovely that Askren will be associated with probably the most iconic KO in the history of the sport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That looked like an early stoppage in the Nunes Holm fight. Holly still had her hands up, pushing Nunes away. I still think Nunes would've won mind, maybe within another couple of punches and I'll have to watch it again but seemed early for a title fight.

Also Masvidal is some scrote. Askern is too but no need for that post fight with the guy still out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

The Nal wrote: »
    That looked like an early stoppage in the Nunes Holm fight. Holly still had her hands up, pushing Nunes away. I still think Nunes would've won mind, maybe within another couple of punches and I'll have to watch it again but seemed early for a title fight.

Also Masvidal is some scrote. Askern is too but no need for that post fight with the guy still out.

thought the stoppage was fine, hollys knee buckled when she was trying to get up after it was stopped, and the ref had to tell her it was over also when the camera was on her corner after the fight, she was done and was gonna eat alot more clean punches from nunes imo was a good stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Holly stoppage was fine dropped on or her ass and followed up with a clean combo to the head. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't stopped there for her sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Nal wrote: »
    That looked like an early stoppage in the Nunes Holm fight. Holly still had her hands up, pushing Nunes away.
    Trying to push her away from that position is intelligently defending. She was out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Mellor wrote: »
    Trying to push her away from that position is intelligently defending. She was out of it.

Nearly sure Bethe had the same reaction to Holly head kicking her as well, just an instictive reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I started warming to Ben lately so feel bad for him on that but my God I do love a flying knee KO on someone diving for a takedown. Nothing worse when it doesn't work and the guy ends up being ground humped for the rest of the round.

No problem with the Holm stoppage, she was done with that head kick.

As for Jones, he's annoying to watch. Huge talent with potential to finish every fight but it's like he's holding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The idea of a Jones fight always better than the reality. The defensive coaching just wont make him the ppv goat.

I really would like to see a rematch on this though however probaby a year out for santos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sanchez please consider retiring you mad bastard. He has taken so much damage over the years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I enjoyed that final fight, always good to see someone put it up to Jones.. also really surprised to see such a lack of killer instinct from Jon when the guy infront of him was hobbling, maybe he was afraid of getting caught as Santos kept throwing such big punches whenever jones got too close.

Masvida was embarrassing, he got a lucky knockout and I hope Ben gets another chance to smother him

• Registered Users Posts: 54,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Delighted Askren got done, but would hate to think he was hurt even more due to a hating opponent wanting to do him “extra” harm..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

chips1234 wrote: »
    thought the stoppage was fine, hollys knee buckled when she was trying to get up after it was stopped, and the ref had to tell her it was over also when the camera was on her corner after the fight, she was done and was gonna eat alot more clean punches from nunes imo was a good stoppage.

Ah ok fair enough didn't see the knee buckle.

Beautiful kick from Nunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    The idea of a Jones fight always better than the reality. The defensive coaching just wont make him the ppv goat.

I really would like to see a rematch on this though however probaby a year out for santos.

Seems like with being the most tested man in the UFC now that he's kinda limited. Please, please, please let him fight clean against DC. I want nothing more than for DC to finish his career beating Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I enjoyed that final fight, always good to see someone put it up to Jones.. also really surprised to see such a lack of killer instinct from Jon when the guy infront of him was hobbling, maybe he was afraid of getting caught as Santos kept throwing such big punches whenever jones got too close.

Masvida was embarrassing, he got a lucky knockout and I hope Ben gets another chance to smother him

It's hardly lucky when the first thing Ben does every single fight is go for a double leg takedown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Still Ill wrote: »
    Seems like with being the most tested man in the UFC now that he's kinda limited. Please, please, please let him fight clean against DC. I want nothing more than for DC to finish his career beating Jones.

Cormier was beaten because Jones was simply superior both times. Next to nothing to do with clean or not clean..all to do with skill and talent.

Advertisement