Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 239 Jones Vs Santos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

For the most part Jones controlled pace and place of fight. Though Santos looked more dangerous throughout. And landed the better shots ultimately, though Jones' kicking game really managed pace of fight. His spinning elbows and head kicks always just seemed that bit off. He might've been a bit off, unlucky, or even have lost a yard. Who knows...

Rockhold should retire. In agreement with Dana there. Better off earning money with Ralph Lauren.

Can't quite quite grasp the hand-wringing over post-fight Masvidal. And for everybody saying it affects legitimacy/ commercial aspects of sport, just know there's at least as many companies and fans gladly eating it up. Two men thump the head off each other inside cage. So it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

eagle eye wrote: »
    Nobody ever has that coming to them. You beat the man that's fine and it was a horrific ko but got my after a knocked out fighter is scummy behaviour. Going down in your knees slapping the floor beside him afterwards is every bit as bad and then mouthing off in the post fight interview just shows that you really are a POS.
    I'd love that see him get his ass handed to him in.his next fight.

Ask Ben Askren if he cares. I doubt he does. All the pearl clutching online is just a bit tiresome. Askren is a troll. A very good one, I'm sure he appreciates that all his trolling is going to backfire on him at some point.

Id have an issue with the punches after he was floored. Masvidal can celebrate whatever way he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tazzimus wrote: »
    LOL no.
    You'd swear he was the first prize fighter to do this, it's not uncommon, and it's not just MMA.
    Askren was being his usual troll self, he had that coming.

I never said he was the first..

My point was that this thuggish behavior should have no place in MMA.

walshb wrote: »

His actions do nothing but damage the credibility and sellability’ of the sport..

A sport where repeatedly punching unconscious opponents is seen as relatively common, will not live and die by how the combatants celebrate. Anyone on the fence will be horrified by the intense violence on show - not the way fighters celebrate.

MMA is a niche sport and always will be, I'm sick sh*t of hearing people talk about its credibility. To quote the great Max Holloway - "it is what it is"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Unfortunately for the perpetually offended, MMA takes place in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

What about all the other sports you see it in?
    I doubt Askren is as offended by it as you seem to be.
    He knows he's a troll, and I bet he also knows that when he loses, something like that will happen.

That's also far from thuggish behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Seems to be people who aren't really fans of the sport anyway are the ones complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MrStuffins wrote:
    Unfortunately for the perpetually offended, MMA takes place in the real world.
    Are you talking about the world of lowlifes?
    I live in the real world, I'm not a social media follower as in Facebook, Twitter etc.
    Normal people don't do these things. Boxers don't do these things, no half-decent person in any sport does those things. The large majority of MMA fighters don't do those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't know why people watch this sport especially the pro game when they hold fighters to some sort of moral standard.
    It's 2 lads fighting in a cage, within the rules any fighter will push it. People say stuff emotions run high, some can take it others can't. It's business.

The only thuggish thing I've seen that had no business in mma was McGregor throwing a hand truck through a bus window not caring who it hit. Add the can throwing to that too.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Don't know why people watch this sport especially the pro game when they hold fighters to some sort of moral standard.
    It's 2 lads fighting in a cage, within the rules any fighter will push it. People say stuff emotions run high, some can take it others can't. It's business.

The only thuggish thing I've seen that had no business in mma was McGregor throwing a hand truck through a bus window not caring who it hit. Add the can throwing to that too.

You haven't seen much MMA then

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You haven't seen much MMA then

Plenty.

Plenty of classless behaviour but again it's prize fighting. Don't be holding fighters to your own moral standards.

I live in the real world, I'm not a social media follower as in Facebook, Twitter etc.
    Normal people don't do these things. Boxers don't do these things, no half-decent person in any sport does those things. The large majority of MMA fighters don't do those things.

You live in the real world and it doesn't matter whether you do it or not. The fact is that you have to share the real world with people who do. People who don't live by the "It's all business" mentality.

A great philosopher, I think his name was James Vardé, once said something quite appropriate for situations like this.

Chat Sh*t, Get Banged!

You must live in a bubble.
    Normal people do these things
    Boxers do these things
    Fairly sure people in other sports have done these things. It's not just an MMA thing.

The real world is full of not nice people

rob316 wrote: »
    Plenty.

Plenty of classless behaviour but again it's prize fighting. Don't be holding fighters to your own moral standards.

You just said the only thuggish behavior you've seen in MMA was McGregor throwing a dolly and McGregor throwing a can.

You just said the only thuggish behavior you've seen in MMA was McGregor throwing a dolly and McGregor throwing a can.

He did. He also said thuggish, not classless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Normal people don't do these things. Boxers don't do these things, no half-decent person in any sport does those things.

I wouldn't be holding up a sport where one of the best known names in it literally bit off a piece of his opponents ear mid-fight as a paragon of virtue and good sportsmanship.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You must live in a bubble.
    Normal people do these things
    Boxers do these things
    Fairly sure people in other sports have done these things. It's not just an MMA thing.

The real world is full of not nice people

You’re completely missing the point..

We all know this thuggish, classless type behavior exists..

Some people strive to get rid of it, and not to tolerate it in certain walks of life, sports included..it’s called having standards, morals, scruples....and so on!

And yes, even in rough and tough walks of life, like boxing and MMA, these traits can exist, and should exist..and deviations or erosions should be dealt with.

I wouldn't be holding up a sport where one of the best known names in it literally bit off a piece of his opponents ear mid-fight as a paragon of virtue and good sportsmanship.

Plus the next big star after Tyson went to jail for thumping his wife around the place.

At the end of the day lads combat sports attracts true lunatics - Masvidal is one of them. You don't jaw at him for months and months and then expect him to bow like Machida afterwards. He's a proper fighter - he started off boxing in people's back gardens. To top it all off I guarantee Ben wouldn't give two sh*ts about the way Masvidal celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Ben will not be giving a shîte about Jorge reaction after the fact outside of wanting to get his own back on Jorge.

Stupid argument is stupid.

If it was so offensive why wasn't there anything from Ben's corner, big boys playing the big boys game and accepting things.

• Advertisement

You’re completely missing the point..

We all know this thuggish, classless type behavior exists..

Some people strive to get rid of it, and not to tolerate it in certain walks of life, sports included..it’s called having standards, morals, scruples....and so on!

And yes, even in rough and tough walks of life, like boxing and MMA, these traits can exist, and should exist..and deviations or erosions should be dealt with.

I'm not missing the point, I just don't agree with it.
    Askren was needling Masvidal constantly coming up to the fight, something like that was always gonna happen if he lost.
    These are people that get paid to punch each other in the face for a living, they're not saints.
    It's also not thuggish or whatever.
    As was mentioned, McGregor and the dolly or the cans of monster was thuggish. Khabib jumping into the crowd of people was thuggish. This was a bit classless, but not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Fair points, Tazzimus.

MrStuffins wrote:
    You live in the real world and it doesn't matter whether you do it or not. The fact is that you have to share the real world with people who do. People who don't live by the "It's all business" mentality.
    Yeah and they get locked up.
    Tazzimus wrote:
    You must live in a bubble. Normal people do these things Boxers do these things Fairly sure people in other sports have done these things. It's not just an MMA thing.
    Names please.
    Tyson was insane but that happened during a fight not after a guy was lying in the floor out cold.

Banning guys like this for a long period of time is the answer to scummy behaviour like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Banning guys like this for a long period of time is the answer to scummy behaviour like this.

hendo deserved a ban for his follow up on bisping I thought, could have
    been left brain damaged by that particular follow up.
    Does this actually need to happen for them to punish fighters it makes
    me wonder.
    masvidal maybe a fine but had the ref been a little bit quicker....it's a hard
    one to martial I guess.

Names please.

Tyson was insane but that happened during a fight not after a guy was lying in the floor out cold.

So it's ok because he bit off a chunk of a man's ear during the fight and not after?
    Names off the top of my head without thinking about it too much:
    Tyson
    Roy Keane
    Eric Cantona
    Aj Agarzam
    Mayweather

C'mon dude! You can't honestly be saying Jorge should be locked up for goading Askren and taking the piss out of him? For mocking him while he was knocked out?

Tazzimus wrote:
    So it's ok because he bit off a chunk of a man's ear during the fight and not after? Names off the top of my head without thinking about it too much: Tyson Roy Keane Eric Cantona Aj Agarzam Mayweather
    What did they do to a ko'd opponent just after it happened?

MrStuffins wrote:
    C'mon dude! You can't honestly be saying Jorge should be locked up for goading Askren and taking the piss out of him? For mocking him while he was knocked out?
    No I was referring to you talking about people doing things they shouldn't.
    He should be banned for a long time imo.
    The sport will end up with less people following it if people get away with stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ah he's no Tank Abbott...
    tumblr_nyp5isH3tX1rofocqo2_250.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What did they do to a ko'd opponent just after it happened?

Come on EE, Don't pretend to be naive, you're better than that.

Tyson bit Holyfield's ear during a fight.
    Panama Lewis removed the padding from his gloves.
    Roy Keane intentional hacked up Haaland. (no a combat sport remember)
    Eric Cantona kick a fan in the crowd FFS

Granted, they are extreme examples, but the point stands. None of those things are acceptable. Pretending they are acceptable, or never happened is silly.
    Aj Agarzam is a cock generally (although what happened back to him wasn't acceptable either) but I don't think he was remotely close to the above.

Masvidal taunting a KO'd Askren lacked class. But with the pre-fight wind up from both, the adrenaline of that finish. It's not surprising tbh. (is taunting opponents seems more accepted in other sports?). Askren's background is in wrestling, which breeds notoriously tough SOBs, his first tweet was "I probably deserved it".

A bigger issue for me is the post KO strikes when a fighter knows the other guy is out. It's all well and good to spot it on a HD cageside replay, but a very fine line in real time.

Advertisement