Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 239 Jones Vs Santos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Just noticed you did a poll raging I missed it.

I really miss the who you got site (whatever it was called). Mad that they got rid of it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Mellor wrote: »
    Come on EE, Don't pretend to be naive, you're better than that.

Tyson bit Holyfield's ear during a fight.
    Panama Lewis removed the padding from his gloves.
    Roy Keane intentional hacked up Haaland. (no a combat sport remember)
    Eric Cantona kick a fan in the crowd FFS

Granted, they are extreme examples, but the point stands. None of those things are acceptable. Pretending they are acceptable, or never happened is silly.
    Aj Agarzam is a cock generally (although what happened back to him wasn't acceptable either) but I don't think he was remotely close to the above.

Masvidal taunting a KO'd Askren lacked class. But with the pre-fight wind up from both, the adrenaline of that finish. It's not surprising tbh. (is taunting opponents seems more accepted in other sports?). Askren's background is in wrestling, which breeds notoriously tough SOBs, his first tweet was "I probably deserved it".

A bigger issue for me is the post KO strikes when a fighter knows the other guy is out. It's all well and good to spot it on a HD cageside replay, but a very fine line in real time.

Same.

I don't really care about the celebration after, it's an arsey move but I get it.

The extra punches to an obviously stiffened and KO'd opponent are nasty though. Their brain has already switched off because of blunt force trauma. Additional strikes carry increased risk of serious injury. There's no need to risk their future health and quality of life just because they talked **** about you to build a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,535 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Disappointed we didn't get to see Jorge and Ben actually fight,
    I still think Ben beat him about 8 times out of 10

Iv no problem with Jorge talking crap after but the one thing I think he went to far with was he said he knew Ben was out and still hit him twice,

To me that is lack of class as person and you could do someone some serious damage that is unneeded to get the victory , We have seen many guys ko someone and walk off its by far the better option ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Same.

I don't really care about the celebration after, it's an arsey move but I get it.

The extra punches to an obviously stiffened and KO'd opponent are nasty though. Their brain has already switched off because of blunt force trauma. Additional strikes carry increased risk of serious injury. There's no need to risk their future health and quality of life just because they talked **** about you to build a fight.

Honestly it happened so fast your talking the difference of a couple of seconds. Your supposed to fight till the ref stops it.

rob316 wrote: »
    Honestly it happened so fast your talking the difference of a couple of seconds. Your supposed to fight till the ref stops it.

That would normally be fine but the fighter himself said he knew he was Ko'd and wanted to get the extra punches in before the ref got there ,

He may be taking nonsense but he makes himself look bad,
    Jorge is 33 he needs to drop the whole street fighter image and grow up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads why does Masvidal hate Askren so much?

Lads why does Masvidal hate Askren so much?

Because Askren brought up that he played with him in training before in like 2008 , Arskren said at the time he had only 1 fight or close to that ,

Masvidal says he is lying that Jorge took Ben down they scrambled then Ben took Jorge down and just sat in his guard for 2 minutes ,

Masvidal said he didn't like him anyway when they first meet due to his personality and he was a dork

I got to say I like both guys ,

In Jorge's upbringing Ben wouldn't have lasted long the way he goes on, but in Ben's upbringing Jorge wound's have lasted long the way he goes on
    Both seem to be a product of there environment's which just happen to be worlds apart, Both good character's at the different end of the scale in my opinion ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

dulux99 wrote: »
    Ask Ben Askren if he cares. I doubt he does. All the pearl clutching online is just a bit tiresome. Askren is a troll. A very good one, I'm sure he appreciates that all his trolling is going to backfire on him at some point.

Id have an issue with the punches after he was floored. Masvidal can celebrate whatever way he wants.

https://twitter.com/Benaskren/status/1148056265941106688?s=19

Case closed. If Ben Aksren himself isn't upset by it then none of the pearl clutchers online should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Jones fight a bit boring but I enjoyed the rest of that card immensely

That would normally be fine but the fighter himself said he knew he was Ko'd and wanted to get the extra punches in before the ref got there ,

He may be taking nonsense but he makes himself look bad,
    Jorge is 33 he needs to drop the whole street fighter image and grow up

Hes probably talking **** to be honest and playing up to his image. Brutal knockouts of Till and Askren has put him in a title picture and he's going to talk it up as much as he can.

It happens all the time, a fighter is knocked out and they get an extra shot to the head for good measure. The only reason it looks bad and Askren got hit twice is because the ref was across the cage as it was the start of the fight.

• Advertisement

Case closed. If Ben Aksren himself isn't upset by it then none of the pearl clutchers online should be.

Of course he doesn't care, it's what he signed up for to get punched in the face.

Jones fight a bit boring but I enjoyed the rest of that card immensely

Ya best this year, 3 savage finishes, an absolute clinic from Mike and someone who actually looked like they could beat Jones. If Santos knee was ok, we could of been looking at a new champion, Jones looks **** off the juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hard to argue with anything he said
    Well he just confirms that he is trash and nothing more. It's like what you'd expect to hear from a life long criminal who never grew up.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well he just confirms that he is trash and nothing more. It's like what you'd expect to hear from a life long criminal who never grew up.

Grow up. Its prize fighting, you get paid for knocking people out, in fact the better you do it the more money you make.

Because he said it to the camera doesn't mean he believes either and so what if he does.

You should take Jorge advice, pick another sport to follow.

eagle eye wrote: »

He's a fighter. You don't need to be Garda vetted to be an MMA fighter. People are carrying on like Jorge Masvidal caused a scene after winning a golf tournament or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I don't give a ****e what Askren thinks of the post KO antics of Masvidal, sure is that supposed to stop people having an opinion. I've been watching boxing and MMA for a long time (iv'e gone to a few UFC's here and in UK) and my opinion is that the post KO behavior was just a tad uncalled for. I don't particularly like Askren, he deserved the KO and I like that its a warning for boring take down artists with big mouths.

I'm sure in your head you think calling people pearl clutchers makes you sound like a double hard bastard but it doesn't I promise you. Its called having an opinion, that's what places like this are for. Acting like a bit of scumbag when your opponent lays unconscious? Like i said i've been a fan of UFC for a long time but I'm not mad on that after KO ****e. That'll come back to him in some way or another.

I'm delighted Askren got KO'd. He deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

All that time I spent waiting to see more of Askren fighting :pac:
    Would like to see Masvidal get a title shot now. Think he's earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I don't give a ****e what Askren thinks of the post KO antics of Masvidal, sure is that supposed to stop people having an opinion. I've been watching boxing and MMA for a long time (iv'e gone to a few UFC's here and in UK) and my opinion is that the post KO behavior was just a tad uncalled for. I don't particularly like Askren, he deserved the KO and I like that its a warning for boring take down artists with big mouths.

I'm sure in your head you think calling people pearl clutchers makes you sound like a double hard bastard but it doesn't I promise you. Its called having an opinion, that's what places like this are for. Acting like a bit of scumbag when your opponent lays unconscious? Like i said i've been a fan of UFC for a long time but I'm not mad on that after KO ****e. That'll come back to him in some way or another.

Of course it will, that's how this sport works.
    Was it a bit uncalled for? Yeah, but it's part of life.
    They way everyone is reacting, you'd swear he shot someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Was it a bit uncalled for? Yeah.

But sure thats all i'm saying. Nothing else. Askren is a smug ****er. He got what he deserved with the KO. It was perfect.
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    They way everyone is reacting, you'd swear he shot someone.

Who though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

But sure thats all i'm saying. Nothing else. Askren is a smug ****er. He got what he deserved with the KO. It was perfect.

Who though?
    People saying it's thuggish, scummy, lengthy bans etc. Slight over-reaction.
    It was a bit classless for sure, but he was just returning the favour for all the needling Askren has been doing on the lead up. Askren himself even realised, yeah I had that coming.

These are people that get paid to incapacitate their opponent, emotions can run high. People can also not like each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

the Sh1thousery from Mazidal after was certainly noteworthy but rather than be upset I decided to lean in and instead enjoy it .

The nature of the sport , that knock out , the carry on and his post presser will all elevate him and increase his pay day next time out.

I'm equally sure that you taking this high brow stance on the lack of sportsmanship on show makes you feel like a bastion of moral superiority.

It's a fight. Askren disrespected Masvidal for months. Masvidal is a cuban immigrant to started his career fighting in back gardens. Expecting him to react in any other way, after such an emphatic knockout, is unrealistic.

I really do find it hilarious that Masvidal is getting pilloried far more for his celebration, than he is for his 2 or 3 totally unnecessary follow up punches. They're the type of things that should have people worried - not the way in which he chooses to celebrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Any idea if/when we'll ever get news on PPV sales on BT Sport for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Any idea if/when we'll ever get news on PPV sales on BT Sport for this?
    I don't know if we will but they did release a statement on Saturday saying only select UFC numbered events will be on ppv. So likely it will only be cards headlined by Jones/McGregor and maybe really really stacked cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,602 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I really do find it hilarious that Masvidal is getting pilloried far more for his celebration, than he is for his 2 or 3 totally unnecessary follow up punches. They're the type of things that should have people worried - not the way in which he chooses to celebrates.

I think he is getting criticized for both....

Both acts classless, and the first highly dangerous...

Anyway, all this back and forth nonsense.

What's wrong with behaving with some minute amount of common decency and kindness and compassion, even if you are a cage fighter? They are still people after all; brothers, fathers, sons, uncles, etc....

They are still being watched by many many other people....would it be too much to ask that they at least try and behave with some class when they have just knocked clean out their opponent?

See, some of us have no issue with them being rough and tough and merciless when fighting.....but still, some of us do have issues, and won't excuse these classless post fight actions...

The UFC should be stamping this type of behavior out...and seen to be as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Autecher wrote: »
    I don't know if we will but they did release a statement on Saturday saying only select UFC numbered events will be on ppv. So likely it will only be cards headlined by Jones/McGregor and maybe really really stacked cards.

That was always expected, that only the big ones would be on PPV. November in NYC, July 4th card etc.

But I'm wondering just how crappy the figures for the PPV would need to be for them to change their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That was always expected, that only the big ones would be on PPV. November in NYC, July 4th card etc.

But I'm wondering just how crappy the figures for the PPV would need to be for them to change their minds.
    UFC 242 in Abu Dhabi will be on ppv aswell so unless they sold very little the other night that will still happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Autecher wrote: »
    UFC 242 in Abu Dhabi will be on ppv aswell so unless they sold very little the other night that will still happen.

The main card for that starts at 7pm our time. No problem paying for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's being blown out of proportion if you ask me.

He knocked a guy out just as the fight started so he's going to be very hyped up for a start. Shouting in a guys face when he's KOed isnt the worst thing either.

As for the follow up punch (punches) he stopped as soon as the ref intervened, he didn't have to be pulled off him or anything.

Did he push it a bit? yeah but not much more than that if you ask me.

Advertisement