Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ok cool. Wasnt trolling. Should have googled. Genuinely didn't know much about how long it would take for the degrade etc and that it would be longer than the life if the body.

Cheers

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

dashoonage wrote: »
    So right...as your ev's get older, and the battery degrades , so does the range , eventually are you just left with a shell and some dead batteries?

On a serious note. Sure, range decreases over the years, but newer EVs are exhibiting this failing less and less. These days it looks more like the battery will outlast the car, though I've heard lots quote 10 years as the lifespan of a car which to mean is far too short.

Once the battery isnt usable in a car, they can be repurposed as a home battery for solar panels (they'll still have plenty capacity for a home battery). They can also be regenerated I believe, whether this just means recycled or not I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ok cool. Wasnt trolling. Should have googled. Genuinely didn't know much about how long it would take for the degrade etc and that it would be longer than the life if the body.

Cheers

OK Sorry for the sarcasm so.

Your question came fully loaded, so I assumed the usual.

As you'll find elsewhere on here, the batteries can be used for storage in a solar PV system after they've finished duty in an EV.

In the early days of EVs, the batteries were an unknown quantity, but as they served well in initial cars, and better in later cars, it became clear that the batteries could outlast the cars. The range would reduce as deterioration occurs, but not to the stage where it becomes a problem early in the life of the car.

OK Sorry for the sarcasm so.

Your question came fully loaded, so I assumed the usual.

As you'll find elsewhere on here, the batteries can be used for storage in a solar PV system after they've finished duty in an EV.

In the early days of EVs, the batteries were an unknown quantity, but as they served well in initial cars, and better in later cars, it became clear that the batteries could outlast the cars. The range would reduce as deterioration occurs, but not to the stage where it becomes a problem early in the life of the car.
    It is possible that older EVs will be sold on to motorists who are OK with the shorter range and they could keep them a long time or until the range becomes an issue.
    For example a new car had 500km range and the owner does frequent 300km+ journeys, when the range drops below 350km he trades it in and the new owner who needs 200km and so on until the last owner finds that 50km is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

For example a new cat had 500km range

Poor wee sod will be knackered!

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Poor wee sod will be knackered!
    It's a Jaguar iPace! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I met a Leaf driver this evening at a charger who put additional clothes on getting into the car, Woolley hat, gloves, scarf, puffer jacket and extra pair of jeans over the leggings. I had to laugh out loud but she said it will save a stop on the way home with as much turned off as possible and some eco driving.

At what stage of EV ownership do we adopt these practices? I am still driving like I stole mine.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

krissovo wrote: »
    I met a Leaf driver this evening at a charger who put additional clothes on getting into the car, Woolley hat, gloves, scarf, puffer jacket and extra pair of jeans over the leggings. I had to laugh out loud but she said it will save a stop on the way home with as much turned off as possible and some eco driving.

At what stage of EV ownership do we adopt these practices? I am still driving like I stole mine.

I'm sure some do that in their ICE cars.... because the damn heater takes so long:D. I loves me heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Drove mine like I stole it today too. ACC on @ 130km/h, this is 125km/h real speed - not enough to get a speeding ticket, coat off (so just in t-shirt), seat heaters on (nice in my back), aircon on, lights on. Foggy and cold out (6-7C) and the range was dropping like a brick :D

Took me just over an hour to do the 110km trip

A quick fast charge and I did the same on the way back and then some more driving around Dublin today, so car is nearly empty again.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

That person is only using it as a function. I enjoy driving ice or ev, if I get to that stage.. I'll sell them all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

Never!!!!!!
    Might as well get on a bike at that rate ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

That's just plain ridiculous! If a better EV is beyond budget, get an ICE to do the job. Not everyone can live (comfortably) with an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Spotted an I-Pace and Model 3 together at the Skerries ESB charger yesterday, nice to see EV adoption coming along - makes a nice change from the compulsory Leaf or twin Leaf's spotted together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Yeah I'd love an ev but it must be within budget and have good range. I do laugh at passing out LEAF drivers on the m50 doing 80kph. I'd want an ev but not that restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 21,599 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

physioman wrote: »
    Yeah I'd love an ev but it must be within budget and have good range. I do laugh at passing out LEAF drivers on the m50 doing 80kph. I'd want an ev but not that restriction
    I still laugh at the gen 1 leafs driving on the M3.

There was one (hello blue 12 d if you're out there!) that I passed between J6 and J7, he couldnt have been doing more than 80. I pulled off at J8 to go to the maxol. Needed fuel, supplies and a car wash

After I finished the car wash, a good 15 or so minutes had elapsed when I saw the blue leaf rolling in to the charger. :P

That is hilarious and ridiculous at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I used to own 1st gen LEAF and driving with those restrictions was quite an adventure. I would do 500km trips even though I had an ICE car. I would come back cold and tired, but satisfied that I managed to do it again.

September1 wrote: »
    I used to own 1st gen LEAF and driving with those restrictions was quite an adventure. I would do 500km trips even though I had an ICE car. I would come back cold and tired, but satisfied that I managed to do it again.
    My longest trip in my l24 was 600km, but back then you could actually use the public network :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

ELM327 wrote: »
    My longest trip in my l24 was 600km, but back then you could actually use the public network :P

I used to look forward to meet other EV drivers at FCP, but in those ancient times it would happen maybe once per year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

How much was a Nissan Leaf 24kw when brand new? I know different years etc, let’s say the 2014 version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So right...as your ev's get older, and the battery degrades , so does the range , eventually are you just left with a shell and some dead batteries?

Then get a new battery pack, place in Netherlands fitting 40 battery packs to 2011 Nissan Leafs, also fitting extender batteries into the boot for even longer range!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How much was a Nissan Leaf 24kw when brand new? I know different years etc, let’s say the 2014 version.

Depends when you bought it to be honest.....I was offered a L24 top spec in 2017 for 23k I think or something like that. It was because the L30 was out and the L40 was due to come out the following year....plus it was a car the garage owned and wanted rid of

I think at end of 2017 they had the L24 new for sale for 20k in Nissan Naas to clear stock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

slave1 wrote: »
      Then get a new battery pack, place in Netherlands fitting 40 battery packs to 2011 Nissan Leafs, also fitting extender batteries into the boot for even longer range!
      Do you have a link to the company?
      NINJAEDIT - this one? https://muxsan.com/

1. Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

McGiver wrote: »
        Do you have a link to the company?
        NINJAEDIT - this one? https://muxsan.com/

ohhhh thats pretty cool. Wonder what it costs.

1. Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

ohhhh thats pretty cool. Wonder what it costs.

3500 for 8.8kW and 6k for 17.6kw. Seems relatively cheap?
        https://muxsan.com/preorder.html

2. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was late getting home from work to collect one of the kids from evening study so drove at 120kph * on the motorway for 16kms and 100kph* on all other roads, my consumption was 18kWh whereas driving the same route last week in the dry, at 110kph on motorway and 80kph on other roads I was over 20kWh! 50kms commute.

* might have crept over it in parts!!! :)

3. Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Quick q. A 142 leaf with 27,000 KM on the clock (very low), what would you expect the status of health to be
        My 141 with nearly 60k is at 91%
        physioman wrote: »
        80? I drive at 105kph :D
        I think the 1st ones were just under €24k list and only one spec and a 141 SVE was €26K something and the 30s SVE were €28k something. open to correction

4. Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not sure about 2014, but I got offered a new Leaf 24kWh with 6.6kW charger and metallic paint on the road for €19.5k in 2016 from Windsor Liffey Valley. The car wasn't suitable as our only family car, so I didn't enter into serious negotiations. Probably would have got a good chunk off that. It was for the base model though.

In late 2017 some Nissan dealers were offering the top spec SVE model for €19.9k on the road to get rid of old stock. I believe some people paid over €30k for that same car previously.

5. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

see attached screen grab from:

nissan.ie > ownership > nissan connect

do I use Nissan connect OR Nissan car wings

6. Advertisement
      7. Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

see attached screen grab from:

nissan.ie > ownership > nissan connect

do I use Nissan connect OR Nissan car wings

Pretty sure connect is the one for preheating Leaf and all that kind of stuff (assuming that's what you need).

Advertisement