Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, I have one. Works exactly as you said.

Two downsides, a 5m coiled cable isnt really 5m as you loose some length in the coils so factor that in if you buy one.

And they are heavier... no big deal, still fits in the standard Nissan bag.

So would you recommend it over the standard cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So would you recommend it over the standard cable?

Personal preference really but Im happy with it.

Personal preference really but Im happy with it.

Thanks. If car is 3.3 onboard charger, any point in getting a 32 amp cable?

I presume a 16 amp and 32 amp will work ok on a 3.3 Nissan Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had a standard cable and changed to a coiled one.

Find it handy, but as said it is harder to get it to stretch any great length.

Luckily I have never had to do that.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

NIMAN wrote: »
    I had a standard cable and changed to a coiled one.

Find it handy, but as said it is harder to get it to stretch any great length.

Luckily I have never had to do that.

I got a coiled one for home charging. Charger to car is about 5 meters, so my parking would of had to be very specific to get things to reach. Went with an 8m coiled one, and honestly it was a mistake. It reaches, but it pulls on both the charger and the car charge port at a 90 degree angle. I wouldn't imagine i'd get much more than 6 meters out of it. Contemplating selling it and getting a straight 8m cable (easier to dry with a towel too). :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭innrain

I got a 2.5m coiled one. The charging port is in the front and usually the chargers are very close. I have it for 4 months now and I needed the supplied one just once. Which I also keep in the compartment under the trunk with the granny.
    I find the coiled one more convenient as it does not trail on the ground, you don't need to coil it every time you finished charging. If there is some water on it just shake it off.

innrain wrote: »
    I find the coiled one more convenient as it does not trail on the ground, you don't need to coil it every time you finished charging. If there is some water on it just shake it off.

Thats the main benefit really. Trying to get a 5m straight cable looped up to fit in the bag is tiresome. The coiled cable is trivial... just shove it in and you dont have to touch it at all really so the wet doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭innrain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Contemplating selling it and getting a straight 8m cable (easier to dry with a towel too). :mad:

If its a 32a, let me know as i'm currently looking for one.

Hi.

This relates to public charging via your own cable.
    If the car only has a 3.6 onboard charger - is there any point in getting a 32amp rated public charge cable?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi.

This relates to public charging via your own cable.
    If the car only has a 3.6 onboard charger - is there any point in getting a 32amp rated public charge cable?

Futureproofing I guess. Cables aint cheap, and a Type 2 32amp cable will likely do you for years to come. The cost difference between a 16 and 32amp cable isn't massive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

They installed 20 odd chargers inside our complex at work for vans, only 3 running as of today,have enquired if we can charge a personal ev whilst out working with a ev van .. we shall see.

We have 3 of the new kangoos, lots more coming.

An post fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

About bloody time. Most of An Post vans in the Dublin area could / should have been EV by now. The Kangoo ZE was more or less produced because of demand from the French post office

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    About bloody time. Most of An Post vans in the Dublin area could / should have been EV by now. The Kangoo ZE was more or less produced because of demand from the French post office

I heard Zoes were in short supply a couple of years ago due to French Post taking all the manufacturing capacity.

You also see alot of these around Paris

chronopost-voltia-nissan-e-nv200-frankreich-france-2019-01-min.png

They are extended e-NV200s called a Voltia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

liamog wrote: »
    I heard Zoes were in short supply a couple of years ago due to French Post taking all the manufacturing capacity.

You also see alot of these around Paris

chronopost-voltia-nissan-e-nv200-frankreich-france-2019-01-min.png

They are extended e-NV200s called a Voltia

Wow ... a vehicle in Paris that isn't covered in dents. :pac:

They did trial them a few years back,but they were rubbish at the time, told we have a ev 'truck' ordered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Which ones? The Kangoo ZE has been around for nearly a decade. They are fine, but can only slow charge and range in Dublin would be 100km max. Which is probably all they ever do in a day (charge up at night at the depot)

My first long spin tomorrow where I’ll need to use a few public charger points. Is there any one app with all charge points on it and let’s you know if chargers are busy?
    Going from Athlone to Baltray to Liffey Valley to Athlone. A better route planner is saying a 10min stop in Kinnegad and then to Baltray. Have a top up on way to Dublin for 22 mins and then Kinnegad again for 30mins before home. Am just worried if any of these fast chargers are out of action or in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

charlieIRL wrote: »
    My first long spin tomorrow where I’ll need to use a few public charger points. Is there any one app with all charge points on it and let’s you know if chargers are busy?
    Going from Athlone to Baltray to Liffey Valley to Athlone. A better route planner is saying a 10min stop in Kinnegad and then to Baltray. Have a top up on way to Dublin for 22 mins and then Kinnegad again for 30mins before home. Am just worried if any of these fast chargers are out of action or in use.

There is no single app. Plugshare has most chargers listed and user feedback, but zero live data. Zapmap is good in that it can show you a charger is in use and how long it has been in use for, the esb Ecars app (not available to dowliad new app coming next week) shows you out of contact and in use chargers. I also use 2+ Facebook groups which sometimes have tips and issues in chargers and I try to update plugshare app with Facebook info. You don't mention what car nor what range you expect to make. Typically I try charge to 80+% at EVERY fast charger on route and if it is busy make a judgement call to stay or move to next fast charger if I have range. I bring a petrol car on runs I can't afford to wait or where there is doubt. Sometimes chargers are dodgy, 7 attempts then a charge from one charger is my record, and esb rebooting charger remotely can help.

Cheers. I’m driving a new eGolf and getting 190kms from it.
    I was thinking there wasn’t one single handy app alright. Once I get to my destination on time, I’ll manage getting to Dublin and home after as I’m in no rush. 152 to where I’m going so will need some battery to get me to a charger between Drogheda and Liffey Valley.

• Advertisement

Which ones? The Kangoo ZE has been around for nearly a decade. They are fine, but can only slow charge and range in Dublin would be 100km max. Which is probably all they ever do in a day (charge up at night at the depot)

Can't remember , different charger we have for it too,still there. Only had one for a few months and the feedback wasn't great, despite the driver being a ev enthusiast.

Well my trip went mostly to plan yesterday, started off with full battery and topped up in Kinnegad meant I had loads of range left when I left Baltray.

Slight change of plan meant I didn't have to go to Dublin (which kind of backfired) as I headed to the single fast charger in Navan instead of taking the chance and going for Kinnegad again. Checked Zap Map and the charger was in use so i thought, it would be free when i got there, nope - was still in use and someone else waiting to charge. Ended up waiting for both to finish and then i got charging. Was about 10 mins in when a Zoe rocks up and starts using the AC head even though i had said i would be done in about 10 mins, I explainged my trip, having being on the road since 6:45am and need for charge but he plugged in anyway. Not the most polite non-national i ever met so out of stubbonness I left mine plugged in until it nearly fully charged and headed straight home without the need to charge again. Only got going at 7pm. We definitly need more decent chargers, thankfully its rearely i'll need them but if i had the family in the car, they wouldn't be impressed!!

I also noticed a spot allocated adjacent to the charger in Navan is set out for another charger, good to see them expanding.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Why didn't you want the Zoe plugging in?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Why didn't you want the Zoe plugging in?

Isn't the charger load balanced therefore halves the power to each head?

I don't meant to come across wrong, I'm perfectly happy to share but I was a long time there at that stage and wanted to get home. There's 4 or 5 other AC chargers in Navan he could have used.

I don't meant to come across wrong, I'm perfectly happy to share but I was a long time there at that stage and wanted to get home. There's 4 or 5 other AC chargers in Navan he could have used.

He wouldnt get the same power from them. They are slow chargers. He can utilise the full power of the rapid, because its a Zoe, in the same way you can.

He wouldnt get the same power from them. They are slow chargers. He can utilise the full power of the rapid, because its a Zoe, in the same way you can.

But with the load balancing on the FCP would the AC43 head he used not reduce to 21.5 which is the same as a 22kWh head on the other chargers?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I didn't realise there was load balancing with the AC. I wouldn't ever ask someone not plug in on the AC if I was using the CCS, though I fully understand why you did after a long day on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

But with the load balancing on the FCP would the AC43 head he used not reduce to 21.5 which is the same as a 22kWh head on the other chargers?

Never heard of that happening.

Depends on the charger and what supply it has.
    Also, as your car throttles it would allow him to ramp up.

Going to an SCP would have him pegged at 22kW for the entire session and that would only be the case if that SCP was vacant. If one side of that SCP was being used he could be pegged to 11kW!

Notwithstanding your long day (which is not his issue) having to get back into his car and take his chances with a slow charger doesnt make much sense tbh. He had a 43kW capable charger in front of him, why would he run the gauntlet of finding another charger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Well my trip went mostly to plan yesterday, started off with full battery and topped up in Kinnegad meant I had loads of range left when I left Baltray.

Slight change of plan meant I didn't have to go to Dublin (which kind of backfired) as I headed to the single fast charger in Navan instead of taking the chance and going for Kinnegad again. Checked Zap Map and the charger was in use so i thought, it would be free when i got there, nope - was still in use and someone else waiting to charge. Ended up waiting for both to finish and then i got charging. Was about 10 mins in when a Zoe rocks up and starts using the AC head even though i had said i would be done in about 10 mins, I explainged my trip, having being on the road since 6:45am and need for charge but he plugged in anyway. Not the most polite non-national i ever met so out of stubbonness I left mine plugged in until it nearly fully charged and headed straight home without the need to charge again. Only got going at 7pm. We definitly need more decent chargers, thankfully its rearely i'll need them but if i had the family in the car, they wouldn't be impressed!!

I also noticed a spot allocated adjacent to the charger in Navan is set out for another charger, good to see them expanding.

This is awful, will the new rapids fix this problem? Complete waste of money if only one car at a time.

Advertisement