Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Staff? it's a public charger anyone can park next to it.
    If it's the one near Sean's Bar, then it's always busy around there.

It's illegal to park an ICE car in an EV charging spot.
    I'm not saying you said that in your post (you said "next") but worth pointing out.
    The legal aspect has been posted here before.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Quick q. A 142 leaf with 27,000 KM on the clock (very low), what would you expect the status of health to be in %? 5 years and 3 months old.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Busy day in cashel. Esoul, model s, leaf, i3 and myself all here.

Plenty of CCS looking busy on the rest of my route too. Oh God!

Said I'd charge in Mayfield, turns out the CCS there is dead. Fingers crossed for naas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Quick q. A 142 leaf with 27,000 KM on the clock (very low), what would you expect the status of health to be in %? 5 years and 3 months old.

Work your way back through this thread and it should give you a real world idea...
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/the-battery-health-thread.18923/page-42

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

About 85-90%

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    About 85-90%

I would have thought with such low Km’s that it would be 92% or 93%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

What drains the main battery other than driving ? Heating yes,air con yes.. radio is 12v , what about wipers? Lights are 12v too I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭JohnC.

But the 12v doesn't get its power out of the ether. The stuff running off 12v are still draining the main battery, by proxy.

Said I'd charge in Mayfield, turns out the CCS there is dead. Fingers crossed for naas

Yet more woahs. So the portlaois charger from midway has been removed, and not updated on the map. FFS. Cheers to the 2 lads having a chat who pointed me in the right direction.

Wonder will Apple green add their own charger there?

1 more stop in cashel probably and I'll be home. Hard rain in Dublin sapped a nice bit of range so I wasn't going to make it to ballacolla, which I probably could of gotten from there to home.

Can't say this has been the most positive of EV long driving experience. Of the 5 chargers I've used today, 1 didn't work and 1 didn't exist. 2 are a nice few km off the motorway too. Much love for cashel charger setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a lot of driving you did today!

I'm going for a return trip to Longford in the morning. First time driving beyond the range of my Ioniq since 2017, back then there were less than 2k EVs in the country and chargers were rarely in use. Feel a bit anxious about it :(

We need a good few more Ionity 4 and 6 bay chargers soon. So range charger anxiety will be a thing of the past, like in more progressive countries like Norway or the Netherlands.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That's a lot of driving you did today!

Its showing. Ionity only pumping in ~30kW/h when I plugged in. Similar situation in portlaois.

Had I known Mayfield was dead and portlaoise was moved it probably would of been a nicer drive overall. Accountability (multiple chargers at each port) is my main wish after taking this trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

kceire wrote:
    About 85-90%

Would expect 90% but can be 85%, it's hard to predict with Leafs, lack of thermal management means that it's more prone to degradation by user error (or stupidity or abuse).

Also, saw a study somewhere that Leaf batteries overall degrade more as a function of time rather than mileage (if you take a large number of samples)...again down to lack sound thermal management

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Its showing. Ionity only pumping in ~30kW/h when I plugged in. Similar situation in portlaois.

Had I known Mayfield was dead and portlaoise was moved it probably would of been a nicer drive overall. Accountability (multiple chargers at each port) is my main wish after taking this trip.

Mayfield CCS has been officially down on Ecars app for at least a week. Also noted on plugshare app.

I always check all apps and Facebook groups for latest good/bad reviews, particularly while waiting at one charger and considering which one to stop at next. Not ideal but its a rookie mistake to try a charger marked as out on the official esb Ecars app. I know when only CCS is out its not very obvious on app, but it does show it. Better luck and better planning next time!

McGiver wrote: »
    Would expect 90% but can be 85%, it's hard to predict with Leafs, lack of thermal management means that it's more prone to degradation by user error (or stupidity or abuse).

Also, saw a study somewhere that Leaf batteries overall degrade more as a function of time rather than mileage (if you take a large number of samples)...again down to lack sound thermal management

True. A 5 year old car with only 27,000 KM was bound to have been sitting up for a while too, which I presume is not good for the battery either.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Mayfield CCS has been officially down on Ecars app for at least a week. Also noted on plugshare app.

I always check all apps and Facebook groups for latest good/bad reviews, particularly while waiting at one charger and considering which one to stop at next. Not ideal but its a rookie mistake to try a charger marked as out on the official esb Ecars app. I know when only CCS is out its not very obvious on app, but it does show it. Better luck and better planning next time!

ESB app has been unusable this last week (unless you mean their old map on the website). ESB new map says it's up, this is what I was using. I filtered by CCS and ESB gave the green light to say it's available. Still says available too!
    https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger?53.1448850,-7.0136340,10z,Mayfield%20Services,%20M7%20Junction%2014%20(R445),%20Monasterevin,%20Kildare,30si

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

slave1 wrote: »
    It's illegal to park an ICE car in an EV charging spot.
    I'm not saying you said that in your post (you said "next") but worth pointing out.
    The legal aspect has been posted here before.

Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That reads like it requires a specific sign to be in place. A sign I've never seen around here at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

ESB app has been unusable this last week (unless you mean their old map on the website). ESB new map says it's up, this is what I was using. I filtered by CCS and ESB gave the green light to say it's available. Still says available too!
    https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger?53.1448850,-7.0136340,10z,Mayfield%20Services,%20M7%20Junction%2014%20(R445),%20Monasterevin,%20Kildare,30si
    On the old app is shows CCS down and cpinfo.ie shows CCS down since 26th September, yes more than a month. I am not sure about the new web app, and it should be replaced by a real app in the next 2 weeks or so. I have heard some inconsistencies on that website. I did not update my android app, so I can still use the old one for now.

Hence I say complain to the staff - you're reporting a breach of the rules of the road and basically illegal activity preventing you from using the road as intended. It's basically the same as parking on a disabled spot - pathetic behaviour.

Obviously only complain if you're up for challenge and enjoy conflict management...

But if I had to charge and really didn't have time / patience / range to go looking for a next charger I'd complain.

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote:
    That reads like it requires a specific sign to be in place. A sign I've never seen around here at least.
    It must say "Electric Vehicle Charging Only". ECars spots I've seen have it like that AFAIK....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

James May has bought a Model S to complement his 5-year old i3.

It must say "Electric Vehicle Charging Only". ECars spots I've seen have it like that AFAIK....

I don't think any of the ones in Waterford do. Just e-car painted on the ground and no other signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So right...as your ev's get older, and the battery degrades , so does the range , eventually are you just left with a shell and some dead batteries?

dashoonage wrote: »
    So right...as your ev's get older, and the battery degrades , so does the range , eventually are you just left with a shell and some dead batteries?

How many decades do you intend to keep the car?

JohnC. wrote: »
    How many decades do you intend to keep the car?

Oh I don't even have one. Its sunday , it's raining...its a random thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yeah, sure the batteries only last 2 years.

Did you know that you can't drive them in the rain or you'll get electromocuted to death?

Milk floats is all they are.

(All of the above should be said in a thick Kerry accent)

Jaysus lads. I retract my previous ramblings. Though crowd round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Jaysus lads. I retract my previous ramblings. Though crowd round here.

Ah come on now. Even a quick google would tell you that the batteries are likely to still have a useful life after the body of the car has fallen apart from old age.

We're a tough crowd because we get a lot of trolls around here.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've seen ones where the sign sayd "electric vehicle priority" rather than only, basically meaning anyone can park in them if the place is busy.

Advertisement