Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

kanuseeme wrote: »
    This is awful, will the new rapids fix this problem? Complete waste of money if only one car at a time.

Most triple can change a Zoe and another EV both at the sane time, both taking maximum power. A few triple heads have limited supply (typically a slow charger used yo be there) and they limit everything and everybody. Some triples have problems where when a second user connects sometimes the person who was already charging gets stopped. This is a bug and happens even on new chargers. Some older models of double or triple can only charge one car at a time. See its simple! What we really need is lots of fast chargers at motorway services, so many queues are not an issue not even on bank holiday Fridays , but that is not the case now, and things may get worse before they improve, even with fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Charger at Casey's Roscommon now, relatively new

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Charger at Casey's Roscommon now, relatively new

That’s there a few months now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't forget that with the clocks going back, the hours available for cheap rate charging have changed, so may be time to adjust your settings?

Now 11pm --> 8am.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't forget that with the clocks going back, the hours available for cheap rate charging have changed, so may be time to adjust your settings?

Now 11pm --> 8am.

Always just set mine to charge between 12 and 8 anyways. Only takes a bit under 4 hours at worst anyways.

• Advertisement

Always just set mine to charge between 12 and 8 anyways. Only takes a bit under 4 hours at worst anyways.

Do the same, always best idea but some may be charging at a slower rate and may need every hour overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The clock on my meter is running 23 minutes slow (didital meter). So if I started a charge at midnight, I would be charging for 23 minutes at full rate in Summer. I know it's not a lot, but with a night rate meter you want to switch as much consumption as possible to the low rate to justify the higher standing charge.

The upside to a slow clock is that I can charge up to about 8:25am in Winter, and 9:25am in Summer. Useful if you forget to charge and need a little top up before you set off in the morning.

Anyway, worth checking your meter clock. ;)

The clock on my meter is running 23 minutes slow (didital meter). So if I started a charge at midnight, I would be charging for 23 minutes at full rate in Summer. I know it's not a lot, but with a night rate meter you want to switch as much consumption as possible to the low rate to justify the higher standing charge.

The upside to a slow clock is that I can charge up to about 8:25am in Winter, and 9:25am in Summer. Useful if you forget to charge and need a little top up before you set off in the morning.

Wouldn't have even crossed my mind, must do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

can you adjust the time on the night/day meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ewj1978 wrote: »
    can you adjust the time on the night/day meter?

You can’t, ESB can.

Although I asked them to fix the time on mine and they came out and swapped out the meter rather than fix the time!!!

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    You can’t, ESB can.

Although I asked them to fix the time on mine and they came out and swapped out the meter rather than fix the time!!!
    I think they're supposed to sync remotely, so therefore that meter has failed.
    Easier to swap out and repair/dump than to work on it onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think they're supposed to sync remotely, so therefore that meter has failed.
    Easier to swap out and repair/dump than to work on it onsite.

Sync to what? Are they not stand-alone?

JPA wrote: »
    Sync to what? Are they not stand-alone?
    A time signal sent down the mains cable, that's how they work in the UK (or used to work) I'm not sure what tech is used today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine is 7 minutes fast, so now night rate starts at 10:53pm

Handy as it means I can manually start devices before going to bed as opposed to scheduling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I've had a though knocking around my head for a while as to a way of persuading more people to make the move to EV's. Could the likes of Nissan or Toyota offer a deal for those buying an EV that allows them the use of a Petrol / Diesel a handfull of times per year for x number of years.

like 90% of the time an EV would suit me down to the ground. For the 4 or 5 times per year that I want to so somewhere awkward and far away (trip to IKEA from Clare or Mayo or something) then I book with your local Dealer a few days in advance and I can trade in your car for a similar model Petrol/Diesel for a day or so.
    I mean there are detials to work out but I'm sure more complex contracts exist in the world already. I think the "what if" problem stops a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

I’m pretty sure Nissan offer such service in the UK
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I've had a though knocking around my head for a while as to a way of persuading more people to make the move to EV's. Could the likes of Nissan or Toyota offer a deal for those buying an EV that allows them the use of a Petrol / Diesel a handfull of times per year for x number of years.

like 90% of the time an EV would suit me down to the ground. For the 4 or 5 times per year that I want to so somewhere awkward and far away (trip to IKEA from Clare or Mayo or something) then I book with your local Dealer a few days in advance and I can trade in your car for a similar model Petrol/Diesel for a day or so.
    I mean there are detials to work out but I'm sure more complex contracts exist in the world already. I think the "what if" problem stops a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mr Tickle wrote: »

Nissan did offer that. Not sure if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

CFC007 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure Nissan offer such service in the UK
    KCross wrote: »
    Nissan did offer that. Not sure if they still do.

Well there ya go. Wasn't a totally stupid idea then. Consider me validated

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Rental cars (or vans for that trip to Ikea) are dirt cheap

I don't think anyone considering a Hyundai Tucson diesel (or insert any other popular car here) will buy a Transit crew cab instead because they make a trip to Ikea once a year buying loads of stuff. You just rent for the day. No reason to involve any main dealer. Rentals are not their forte.

... planning a cork to IKEA and back trip this weekend. Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

... planning a cork to IKEA and back trip this weekend. Wish me luck!

Luck with the trip or staying within your budget? :D

krissovo wrote: »
    Luck with the trip or staying within your budget? :D

Oh God! Possibly both now you mention it!

They installed 20 odd chargers inside our complex at work for vans, only 3 running as of today,have enquired if we can charge a personal ev whilst out working with a ev van .. we shall see.

We have 3 of the new kangoos, lots more coming.

An post fwiw.

Update on this ,now have 13 kangoo ze 33s and I've gotten one from nxt Monday . brand new,my route is 90km ,many boorens,80% rural I deliver.. the supposed range for winter is 130km ... Going to be interesting to see if the vans are viable for my type of route, they are ideal for the lads doin 50km or less daily. Will also be my first daily driver ev ! I'll be in it minimum 6hrs a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

Update on this ,now have 13 kangoo ze 33s and I've gotten one from nxt Monday . brand new,my route is 90km ,many boorens,80% rural I deliver.. the supposed range for winter is 130km ... Going to be interesting to see if the vans are viable for my type of route, they are ideal for the lads doin 50km or less daily. Will also be my first daily driver ev ! I'll be in it minimum 6hrs a day.

Just keep an eye on the heater. That can fairly drain the battery.

Soarer wrote: »
    Would that not be factored in when guestimating the winter mileage.

Soarer wrote: »

Bjorn test drove one in Finland that had a 13ltr tank for diesel , purely for heating cabin,I'll be looking for it on Monday,hoping.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Went to use a public charger in Athlone this evening, not stuck but could do with the few extra kms for tonight. Two spots and one was iced. Drove up to spot to reverse in parallel park and what does the clown behind me do, drive right up to my bumper so I couldn’t reverse in. Had to drive off and around the block to try again and guess what? An auld guy had parked his ice in the second spot, I was raging. Ended up driving off and will have to try again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

charlieIRL wrote:
    Went to use a public charger in Athlone this evening, not stuck but could do with the few extra kms for tonight. Two spots and one was iced. Drove up to spot to reverse in parallel park and what does the clown behind me do, drive right up to my bumper so I couldn’t reverse in. Had to drive off and around the block to try again and guess what? An auld guy had parked his ice in the second spot, I was raging. Ended up driving off and will have to try again later.
    I'd seriously talk to the staff to sort it out out.

McGiver wrote: »
    I'd seriously talk to the staff to sort it out out.
    Staff? it's a public charger anyone can park next to it.
    If it's the one near Sean's Bar, then it's always busy around there.

• Advertisement

Busy day in cashel. Esoul, model s, leaf, i3 and myself all here.

Plenty of CCS looking busy on the rest of my route too. Oh God!

Advertisement