Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,038 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jusmeig wrote: »
    This makes no sense. We are transitioning towards mass transit on a whole.

Are we?

The consistent cultural trend of the last century or so is individualisation. It's everywhere, from how we choose to accomodate ourselves (group living->people preferring one bed apartments), to how we raise our kids (stay at home parent -> childcare) to how we redistribute money and services (family -> welfare state), to how we entertain ourselves (cinema and TV -> staring at a personal screen).

Bearing this in mind, I see more of a future for one and two-passenger vehicles than buses and trains.

People like personal freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jusmeig wrote: »
    But batteries can be recycled and have second (and sometimes) third life products. Once you light something on fire....its usually not good for a second go.

They haven't figured out how to recycle the batteries yet, an ice car is a lot more recyclable than an EV.
    I've still my concerns about these becoming ticking time bombs just based on my own experience with lithium. They swell with age and become easy pierce. They have to be more unstable in an accident as they age. We'll know in 10yrs.
    Tesla battery seems good but are all lithium car batteries made to the same standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,038 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They haven't figured out how to recycle the batteries yet, an ice car is a lot more recyclable than an EV.
    I've still my concerns about these becoming ticking time bombs just based on my own experience with lithium. They swell with age and become easy pierce. They have to be more unstable in an accident as they age. We'll know in 10yrs.
    Tesla battery seems good but are all lithium car batteries made to the same standard.

I think the issue is that there's not yet much commercial incentive to develop recycling technology as there's more potential value in reuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Who are they? You can recycle batteries, has been the case for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lumen wrote: »
    I think the issue is that there's not yet much commercial incentive to develop recycling technology as there's more potential value in reuse.

The technology hasn't been invented yet, These will become more unstable as they age, it's not something I'd want anywhere near my house when they get old.
    What we have now is certainly not the future. It could even become a huge mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The technology hasn't been invented yet, These will become more unstable as they age, it's not something I'd want anywhere near my house when they get old.
    What we have now is certainly not the future. It could even become a huge mistake.

The technology exists, in terms of EV batteries we're still at the re-use stage.
    It's not economical to recycle the materials in a depleted EV battery, when you can instead sell off the depleted cells for more money and not incur the cost of re manufacture.

Here's a Lithium Ion battery plant being built in Singapore.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/new-environmentally-friendly-lithium-ion-battery-recycling-tes-12046280

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mike9832 wrote: »
    You could be right

100km PHEV make alot of sense

Automakers want them for sure and governments want to keep jobs
    Agree, 100km phev (real world, so prob 120km WLTP) will be a good way to introduce people to electric driving.

That way it's EV for the week and petrol/diesel for the longer trips.

If there were no Teslas I'd love to have the X5/merc new phev with +100km range and fast charging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Where do you think batteries come from?

They'll be digging up half the earth to get the rare earth minerals needed for 6 billion people to be transported by batteries
    What rare minerals exactly, clarify?

Note: 6b people won't all need cars anytime soon.

The technology hasn't been invented yet
    Incorrect.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1682-5
    These will become more unstable as they age, it's not something I'd want anywhere near my house when they get old.
    Incorrect.

Likelihood of fire / explosion, which is a disadvantage of Li-ion battery with a liquid electrolyte, has nothing to do with battery age. It's caused by a) cell defect, b) physical insult or c) incorrect charging or combination of the three.

Hence we'll move to Li-ion solid state / Na-ion liquid or solid state / K-ion liquid or solid state in the upcoming years as they can't catch fire and have other better features.
    What we have now is certainly not the future.
    Correct. The battery technology is evolving. Petrol engines also evolved in last 20 years.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree, 100km phev (real world, so prob 120km WLTP) will be a good way to introduce people to electric driving.
    I also think so. Larger battery and smaller engine or something like that. Basically a Leaf Rex sort of!

And ban diesel and petrol straight away with exemption to haulage and farming. Force everyone to PHEV hybrid by carrot and stick and then incentivise BEV further. PHEV still better than the ICE. So PHEV would be an excellent intermediary step towards BEV transition to the smoothen out the transition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

McGiver wrote: »
    Likelihood of fire / explosion, which is a disadvantage of Li-ion battery with a liquid electrolyte, has nothing to do with battery age. It's caused by a) cell defect, b) physical insult or c) incorrect charging or combination of the three.

Now hang on a minute, we should be seeing massive numbers of spontaneously exploding EVs as they hit turtle mode in that case ;)

liamog wrote: »
    Now hang on a minute, we should be seeing massive numbers of spontaneously exploding EVs as they hit turtle mode in that case ;)

Oh yeah big time, have you seen the "leafs
    " burning each autumn? :D Autumn leaf fires

Well I didn't want to go to too much of a detail....

Physical insult resulting in damaging the separator between the cathode and the anode in the cell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Hi.

If you have a 24kw leaf with the 3.3 onboard charger.......and you charge the car from the 22kw esb public charger via your own cable.........is there any advantage in have a 32 amp cable over a 16 amp?

i.e. Will the 32 amp cable allow quicker charging for above scenario?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi.

If you have a 24kw leaf with the 3.3 onboard charger.......and you charge the car from the 22kw esb public charger via your own cable.........is there any advantage in have a 32 amp cable over a 16 amp?

i.e. Will the 32 amp cable allow quicker charging for above scenario?

You can only take on 3.3 kw so no, no advantage I believe.
    The chademo will give you the fast charge only.

kceire wrote: »

Thanks.
    I know the Chademo port and scenario. Was just wondering about the other scenario.

Thanks.
    I know the Chademo port and scenario. Was just wondering about the other scenario.
    Future proofing. All current cars are 7.7 kW AC or more. Makes sense to install 32A ( 32A*240V=7680W) charger...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I see a Zoe 40 commercial van on DD for 25 k ,new, could be very handy as a commute/runabout with good range. Didn't know they came in that guise.

kceire wrote: »

Grand. So essentially with a 3.3 leaf, you will not charge any quicker from a 22kw esb charger with a 32 amp cable?

I.e. the same speed charging is achieved with a 16 amp cable.

Grand. So essentially with a 3.3 leaf, you will not charge any quicker from a 22kw esb charger with a 32 amp cable?
    Correct. You won't, it can only take <16A.
    I.e. the same speed charging is achieved with a 16 amp cable.
    Correct. The charger in the car limits it to <16A.

Sorry, I thought you were asking about a charger, 32A is better - thinking ahead.

Cable definitely 16A.

McGiver wrote: »
    Correct. You won't, it can only take <16A.

Correct. The charger in the car limits it to <16A.

Sorry, I thought you were asking about a charger, 32A is better - thinking ahead.

Cable definitely 16A.

Thanks. No, just asking about the actual cable :)

I get all of your post except the last sentence.

• Advertisement

I get all of your post except the last sentence.

32A and 16A cable makes no difference for Leaf with 3.3 kW charger, because it restricts the current to less than 16A anyway. So it's pointless getting the 32A cable.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So it's pointless getting the 32A cable.

Unless future proofing

A 32A Type 1 to Type 2 cable for the leaf isn't even really future proof.
    Upgrading to anything other than 6.6 kW 30kWh will require a new cable anyway.

liamog wrote: »
    A 32A Type 1 to Type 2 cable for the leaf isn't even really future proof.
    Upgrading to anything other than 6.6 kW 30kWh will require a new cable anyway.

Ok. Thanks. Good input.

2014 24 kw leaf

One week ago via leaf spy, status of health was 87.41%. Prior to this, the car was not driven much. Used a small bit but not too much.

One week later it’s 89.26%.

Is this normal?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I see a Zoe 40 commercial van on DD for 25 k ,new, could be very handy as a commute/runabout with good range. Didn't know they came in that guise.

The one we have was the first in the country and a test for renault!! Very handy for what we need it

Not exactly a random EV thought, more like an "off on a tangent EV thought".

Now that EV manufacturers have more or less solved (or reduced the deterioration considerably) the battery longevity issue by using intelligent battery management systems, when can we expect those ideas to be incorporated into other fields, for example laptop battery management for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Now that EV manufacturers have more or less solved (or reduced the deterioration considerably) the battery longevity issue by using intelligent battery management systems, when can we expect those ideas to be incorporated into other fields, for example laptop battery management for example.

BMS have always been in place for lithium batteries, even in the most humble of devices like a €10 power bank, a €10 torch, a €15 power tool battery and a €20 laptop battery

unkel wrote: »
    BMS have always been in place for lithium batteries, even in the most humble of devices like a €10 power bank, a €10 torch, a €15 power tool battery and a €20 laptop battery
    Yes, I know that, What I was referring to was the intelligent charging/discharging software that prolongs a batteries life by avoiding charging above 80% and discharging below 20%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Forum is going to need something like the "bad parking pics" thread for "shiddy EV drivers pics".
    Tipped down to Dungarvan today, needed some charge before the trip back home so I called into their slow chargers in town. Pulled in beside a goDungarvan.ie leaf which was already fully charged on the slow charger. Had a look on the new ESB map, and it says they plugged in at 5.35pm. Well it's 11.30am when I pulled in, so at best they're there since yesterday evening.

I plugged in, busied myself for a few hours and returned to my car. Leaf still plugged in.

Leaf popped into my head there just now, and checking ESBs map, it's still occupied since 5.35pm. So at least 26 hours parking for free and blocking a charging bay.

image.png

So much for "GoDungarvan" being about "smarter travel".

Advertisement