Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Yes, I know that, What I was referring to was the intelligent charging/discharging software that prolongs a batteries life by avoiding charging above 80% and discharging below 20%.
    Not sure if BMS in Nissan Leaf is really intelligent :P

Yes, I know that, What I was referring to was the intelligent charging/discharging software that prolongs a batteries life by avoiding charging above 80% and discharging below 20%.
    Found this, it might be of interest to people.

and this,

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/set-charging-limit-your-android-device-avoid-excess-battery-wear-0176280/

and this
    https://chargie.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Forum is going to need something like the "bad parking pics" thread for "shiddy EV drivers pics".
    Tipped down to Dungarvan today, needed some charge before the trip back home so I called into their slow chargers in town. Pulled in beside a goDungarvan.ie leaf which was already fully charged on the slow charger. Had a look on the new ESB map, and it says they plugged in at 5.35pm. Well it's 11.30am when I pulled in, so at best they're there since yesterday evening.

I plugged in, busied myself for a few hours and returned to my car. Leaf still plugged in.

Leaf popped into my head there just now, and checking ESBs map, it's still occupied since 5.35pm. So at least 26 hours parking for free and blocking a charging bay.

image.png

So much for "GoDungarvan" being about "smarter travel".

A simple email enquiring wtf are they doing blocking for so long, as a concerned EV owner. No harm Black Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

charlieIRL wrote: »
    The one we have was the first in the country and a test for renault!! Very handy for what we need it

How does it perform real world?

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

MorganIRL wrote: »
    A simple email enquiring wtf are they doing blocking for so long, as a concerned EV owner. No harm Black Knight.

Their Twitter and FB accounts haven't seen action since 2016 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Their Twitter and FB accounts haven't seen action since 2016 :(

That's going to be some overstay fee when they get around to charging for slow chargers. :D

That's going to be some overstay fee when they get around to charging for slow chargers. :D

Still plugged in :rolleyes:

Overstay fees will be a tricky business for slow chargers. It can't be as simple as being charged a fee once you're plugged in and not charging. The time of day has to factor into it. If I were to plug in in the evening, and be fully charged at 1am or so, am I expected to have to move my car? Similar with parking on street overnight. Fees shouldn't kick in until the next morning.

As for those who use slow chargers as their parking space when going to work, overstay fees will have a huge impact, but overall it's for the better. Maximising availability and use should be the focus of any fees or penalties.

Overstay fees will be a tricky business for slow chargers. It can't be as simple as being charged a fee once you're plugged in and not charging. The time of day has to factor into it. If I were to plug in in the evening, and be fully charged at 1am or so, am I expected to have to move my car? Similar with parking on street overnight. Fees shouldn't kick in until the next morning.

As for those who use slow chargers as their parking space when going to work, overstay fees will have a huge impact, but overall it's for the better. Maximising availability and use should be the focus of any fees or penalties.

I agree, but that abuse of the system by that company has to be dealt with too. That is taking the piss in the worst way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Random EV thought on a cold November morning...pre-heating is very nice.

rivegauche wrote: »

I'm new to heated seats too. These are nice on the drive home. Heat pump gives great heat nice and quick too for those mornings in not charging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Heated seats and steering wheel and instant heat - all controllable via an app

It's mornings like this morning's 2 degrees where I love EVs!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

rivegauche wrote: »

its excellent in the eGolf as well, cabin is nice and warm when we go out these mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Pity you cant turn on the aircon and defrost the mirrors at the same time using the emanager (eGolf)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

They should just give you 30 minute grace period after your car stops drawing charge then start charging for parking.

In some towns in Holland if you are parked but not drawing charge you'll get yourself an 80 euro ticket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Dempsey wrote: »
    Pity you cant turn on the aircon and defrost the mirrors at the same time using the emanager (eGolf)

its a bit strange they left out an option to do both alright.

How do you find the heat in yours on Eco and Eco+? Mine only blows cold when in them.

A very interesting article on the battery temperature management in the Kona, and it also applies to the Niro. Winter mode and heat pump are standard on Irish cars.

https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/20/exclusive-details-on-hyundais-new-battery-thermal-management-design/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

A very interesting article on the battery temperature management in the Kona, and it also applies to the Niro. Winter mode and heat pump are standard on Irish cars.

https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/20/exclusive-details-on-hyundais-new-battery-thermal-management-design/

Looks good but is "Coldgate" still an issue with slow charging in the cold? The battery heater should be spec'd to heat the battery from looking at the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

krissovo wrote: »
    Looks good but is "Coldgate" still an issue with slow charging in the cold? The battery heater should be spec'd to heat the battery from looking at the article.
    Yes it is still an issue

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes it is still an issue

Are you saying that it's still an issue on cars with an automatic battery heater, like the Niro and Kona? Is it still an issue where the driver selects "winter Mode" to provide extra heating for the battery?

If that is what you're saying, why bother with battery heating at all?

Forget to charge, don't have enough to get to the next charging station.

Just get towed part of the way there and drive the rest on regned energy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,368 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I see someone commented on Bjorn's videos that MKBHD gave him a shout out in a podcast. And I still can't stand how Americans say 'niche'. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Hi

If you charge your EV via a standard 3 pin plug, what speed will it take electricity on board? Something like 2 kw per hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hi

If you charge your EV via a standard 3 pin plug, what speed will it take electricity on board? Something like 2 kw per hour?

Yes, about 2kWh/h, or 2kW (the h's cancel).

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, about 2kWh/h, or 2kW (the h's cancel).

What’s the calculation. Something like this: 10amp x 230 V = 2300w. (2.3kW)

What’s the calculation. Something like this: 10amp x 230 V = 2300w. (2.3kW)

Pretty much. Depends what your supply voltage is exactly, and what losses you have to heat, but near as makes no difference ~2kW in an hour.

Torque app and a bt OBD2 adapter should tell ya exactly what is going into your car. I have it, if I get a chance I'll plug in this weekend and see (I'm fully charged at the mo so I can't check).

Pretty much. Depends what your supply voltage is exactly, and what losses you have to heat, but near as makes no difference ~2kW in an hour.

Torque app and a bt OBD2 adapter should tell ya exactly what is going into your car. I have it, if I get a chance I'll plug in this weekend and see (I'm fully charged at the mo so I can't check).

Is there such a thing as something to measure electricity via the main meter box. I think I heard someone say something before like you could attach a device to a wire in the main meter box that would then let you monitor electricity via an app on your phone.

Is there such a thing as something to measure electricity via the main meter box. I think I heard someone say something before like you could attach a device to a wire in the main meter box that would then let you monitor electricity via an app on your phone.

Yup. They are clamps that measure amperage through a cable. You tell it the voltage (mains is 230-240v), and it's a simple case of P=IV to get power consumption. Pretty neat. The types vary based on the load you want to measure, and how fancy and integrated their measurements are. You could stick one specifically on your EV cables, or your shower etc.

Smappee was mentioned on rte the other day on that "what planet are you on?" show.

I'm at 95% charge, so not sure if that makes a difference with a granny cable, but torque is telling me 1.7kWh transfer rate. I'll check again when my battery is much lower

I'm at 95% charge, so not sure if that makes a difference with a granny cable, but torque is telling me 1.7kWh transfer rate. I'll check again when my battery is much lower

Thanks. Slow enough, but maybe in last few % it slows down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

This (see link below) attaches to the cable beside our meter and then it transmits the usage to a portable display unit inside the house. E.g if someone turns on the kettle then you can see the increased usage.

I think that the proposed electric smart meters are supposed to do the same.

OWL Micro+ CM180 Wireless Home Energy Monitor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007W0SQ3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9Xe0Db7S8XBGJ

Advertisement