Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

jontr wrote: »
    I wonder why none of the EV cars has retractable charging cable. Those cables take a lot of space in the boot, and if you travel with boot full it might be a problem. I know that there are different standards and stuff, but then they could make different attachments for different charging stations. Just a random thought.

Never had an issue, even the i3 has a little frunk to keep both cables in.

Retractable charging cable would be too easy to break .. and you'd also need different cables for different countries.

Granny cable is very handy in most of Europe as you can usually find a plug socket in car parks, if you are going to a big city you are probably leaving the car there for the weekend anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah granny cable really is only emergency. Probably never need it unless you are away in a holiday home or something and need destination charging. I used mine twice in over 2.5 years (holiday home and hotel)

It depends on your circumstances.
    I was 6 months in Dublin in a house where the earth was not neutralised ... so no wall charger.
    I was a year in a rented ground floor apt in Dublin with an external socket.
    I am a year in Nenagh in a rental with an external socket.
    so it depends :D:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Does the 30kw leaf have any known issues? Like battery degradation etc? Parking brake issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Does the 30kw leaf have any known issues? Like battery degradation etc? Parking brake issues etc.

There is a "battery degradation" issue but its really a software issue that is fixed by getting the software updated at the dealer. You'd need LeafSpy to see if the car has had the update or not.

Im not aware of any other general issues with the L30.

KCross wrote: »
    There is a "battery degradation" issue but its really a software issue that is fixed by getting the software updated at the dealer. You'd need LeafSpy to see if the car has had the update or not.

Im not aware of any other general issues with the L30.

Thanks.
    Does it cost much to do the upgrade?
    Is it easy to see on leafspy or you have to dig?

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Does it cost much to do the upgrade?
    Is it easy to see on leafspy or you have to dig?

Update should be free but it can be hard to convince a dealer it needs to done.

You have to dig into ECU versions to find it. The HV battery firmware version is what you need to look for.

There is a thread on it in the forum.

so here is my very high level prediction (of sorts)

1. I can get a 2014 24 kw for maybe 9000 euro
    2. I can get a December 2015 30kw for maybe 12,500 euro

both private sales
    Is it worth while spending the extra 3,500 to get the 30kw

both private sales

That depends on whether you need the extra range or not.

In, lets say, 3yrs time you go to sell the two of those cars you wont get €3500 more for the L30 and if you havent used the extra range in the meantime you've wasted your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A 24 is just too low a range in winter on 50 to 60 mile round trips.*

A 30 gives you more scope on those trips.

If that's something you do regularly then a 30 is worth the full 3 k if SOH is good etc.

If you do long trips though in excess of 80 miles - you are going to need public charging even with a 30.

That's because winter range could be 80 miles depending on driving style and weather

*My family does a few trips like this round trip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To clarify we don't have a 30.

The range figures i outline is what I saw guys on speak EV mention before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

both private sales

2014 24 battery warranty runs out this year (could be already out of warranty)
    2015 30 battery under warranty until December 2023

30 will have better range also, especially in Winter

I'd go for the 30 all day long

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

In, lets say, 3yrs time you go to sell the two of those cars you wont get €3500 more for the L30

The funny thing is that the L30 only cost €3k more when new than the L24. Now, 3-4 years later, an early L30 is still worth €3k more than a similar L24!

Agree with you though that this is very unlikely to be the case another 3-4 years from now

slave1 wrote: »
    2014 24 battery warranty runs out this year (could be already out of warranty)
    2015 30 battery under warranty until December 2023

The warranty is a good point although the chances of claiming on the drivetrain warranty is fairly slim and I think the general warranty is 3yrs(?) so probably already gone on both cars.

I used the warranty on mine to get a new axle, new windscreen and 4 new alloys! ;)

anyone else?!?

both private sales

is the 30kw car more than likely a uk import? (or were they available in Ireland in 2015)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The warranty is a good point although the chances of claiming on the drivetrain warranty is fairly slim and I think the general warranty is 3yrs(?) so probably already gone on both cars.

I used the warranty on mine to get a new axle, new windscreen and 4 new alloys! ;)

Yeah, general warranty has expired on both, it's 3 years

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

Drove my first EV today, been meaning to drive one for years now but never made the time for it. My work just got a Smart ForFour Electric for anybody to use for visiting clients or whatever. It's class! loved the torque and the quietness of it. I used to have a diesel golf but I can't see myself going back to something like that for my next car, the smoothness of the power transition and general driving was far more relaxing compared to the golf.

I'll be finding more and more excuses to bring this car around the area from work!

smart-forfour-1-0-71pk-passion-panorama-dak.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

is the 30kw car more than likely a uk import? (or were they available in Ireland in 2015)

Late 2015 is when the 30 kWh version became available.

yer man! wrote: »
    Drove my first EV today, been meaning to drive one for years now but never made the time for it. My work just got a Smart ForFour Electric

That's probably the slowest, smallest range EV money can buy these days. But hey all EVs are fun to drove as you found out :)

kceire wrote: »
    Late 2015 is when the 30 kWh version became available.

In Ireland also? Or just UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of replacement battery costs for a leaf? Thinking of getting one as a run around. You can get one of the older ones for about 6k over the water and I was thinking if you could replace the battery it would be worth it.

Anyone know if you can put a new, higher kWh battery in an older leaf?

Reply from Nissan

'Thank you for your email.

High voltage batteries in Nissan Leaf are extremely expensive to simply replace, however, should you like further confirmation of your vehicle's battery condition, please contact your local dealer and request they perform a ‘cell voltage loss inspection’ on your vehicle’s high voltage battery.

There is no option to replace the battery with a larger one from a newer model or increase your original batteries capacity.

Your local authorised Nissan repairer can provide you with a parts quotation for a new battery or repair of your original should one be required.'

That's probably the slowest, smallest range EV money can buy these days. But hey all EVs are fun to drove as you found out :)

It's made me hungrier to try faster and larger EVs! I need to ask my neighbour if I can try out his model 3.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It's made me hungrier to try faster and larger EVs! I need to ask my neighbour if I can try out his model 3.

Both ends of the scale so

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Both ends of the scale so

Need to go for a full P100D Model X to be at the full top end :)

Is his a company car? Nearly all of them over there are SR+ (bottom of the range) :pac:

Is his a company car? Nearly all of them over there are SR+ (bottom of the range) :pac:

He mentioned he got the Long range version, it's a lovely car. As far as I know the Tesla dealer here in Amsterdam had all three versions of the model 3 available. He just got whatever was available at the time.

Long range AWD then probably. Like my best mate in the Netherlands. It's pretty quick, 0-100km/h in 4.5s :cool:

Anyone here use a ‘coiled’ public charge cable. Seems good as it’s coiled so when you plug from car to charging station it does not drag along wet ground, obviously will get wet but does not drag on ground. Anyone have one?

Picture attached.

Anyone here use a ‘coiled’ public charge cable. Seems good as its coiled so when you plug from car to charging station it does not drag along wet ground, obviously will get wet when raining. Anyone have one?

Picture attached.

• Advertisement

Yes, I have one. Works exactly as you said.

Two downsides, a 5m coiled cable isnt really 5m as you loose some length in the coils so factor that in if you buy one.

And they are heavier... no big deal, still fits in the standard Nissan bag.

Advertisement