Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

JohnC. wrote: »
    Does pre-heating on a timer only work when plugged in? I had assumed it could work whenever, but I've seen a couple of comments recently where it could be inferred it only works when plugged in.

For the Leaf, at least, it only works when plugged in.

You can still turn on pre-heating remotely via the app and that doesn’t require it to be plugged in but it’s then limited to 15mins and it shuts off again.

Then when you turn the fan on remotely, does it come on at the settings (fan speed and heat temp etc) last used in the car?

No, there is a separate temp setting in the menu and the car will make it its business to hit that temp regardless of what you had set on your last journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Then when you turn the fan on remotely, does it come on at the settings (fan speed and heat temp etc) last used in the car?

There is a temperature set in the car which is what it comes on at for remote or timed climate control.

In regard to a Nissan Leaf.

Plug it in at home on your home charger and leave it charge away. At 5am the battery is fully charged and charging stops. No timers on etc.

At 7am, you decide to pre heat the car remotely from the app on the mobile phone. When this happens, will the car start charging again? (As in the battery level will drop due to the heat being on.....( I think) and therefore charging will automatically restart again)

There are three versions of pre-heat....

1) The manual 15min pre-heat that you kickoff from the app when the car is not plugged in
    2) The manual upto 2hr pre-heat that you kickoff from the app when the car is plugged in
    3) The auto pre-heat from the timer you set in the car.

For 1) its limited to 15mins and obviously uses energy from the battery.
    For 2) it shouldn't use much, if any, battery power as it will recharge it from the charge point as the battery runs down.
    For 3) it will run for much longer than 15mins, depending on outside temperature, and will topup the battery from the charge point. This timer only works when plugged in.

I believe the scenario you are referring to is 2) above and it will pull energy from your charge point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

JPA wrote: »
    There is a temperature set in the car which is what it comes on at for remote or timed climate control.

Thanks. Is it possible to modify this in the settings etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes, under the Zero Emission settings button

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

hi, when I say the settings, I mean can you set it so that it comes on at a certain temperature and fan speed. 25 degress, fab spaeed 4 , point air at windscreen etc

from what I see, you can set a timer for when to come on and off and the days of the week etc, but not sure how you set temperature and fan speed.

hi, when I say the settings, I mean can you set it so that it comes on at a certain temperature and fan speed. 25 degress, fab spaeed 4 , point air at windscreen etc

from what I see, you can set a timer for when to come on and off and the days of the week etc, but not sure how you set temperature and fan speed.

temp is all you can set in the menu.... ZeroEmission-->Timer/Remote-SetClimateTemp
    the car decides everything else as its job is to basically clear the window and get the car up to temp so you dont need to set anything other than your desired temp.

If you have the SVE you can also turn on the heated seats before you leave and those will come on too when the remote heating starts as they are hard switches, not software controlled.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Another ESB E-Cars email.

Talk of a new app, and enhanced functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Dempsey wrote: »
    Yea, still under warranty

Do you get any decent feedback on the battery health / hi voltage components with these inspections?

Looks more like €120 I should keep in my pocket

Should have kept it in my pocket! :pac:

Got a nice invoice though:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hi

can the speedo readout on a 2014 leaf from the UK be easly changed from miles to Km ?

can the speedo readout on a 2014 leaf from the UK be easly changed from miles to Km ?

Yes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

hi

Yes, unlike the Ioniq all the settings can be changed from miles to kms in seconds via a menu option

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes, unlike the Ioniq all the settings can be changed from miles to kms in seconds via a menu option

Thanks. Fairly basic that the Ioniq does not allow this.

hi,

the 'granny cable' for the leaf: On the 'car' end, does the Gen 1.5 granny cable have the same port as the gen 1 granny cable

hi,

the 'granny cable' for the leaf: On the 'car' end, does the Gen 1.5 granny cable have the same port as the gen 1 granny cable

All versions of the Leaf upto but excluding the L40 have the same Type 1 plug/socket so the granny cable is the same across the board.

So, yes, is your answer.

Thanks, last question.

Whast the cable needed for a 2014 leaf to public charge from the esb 22kw devices.

is it simplay called a type 1 cable ?
    or is it a type 1 to type 2 ?

Thanks, last question.

Whast the cable needed for a 2014 leaf to public charge from the esb 22kw devices.

is it simplay called a type 1 cable ?
    or is it a type 1 to type 2 ?

All cables have a type 2 plug at one end (for the charge point) and you just need to ensure the other end is type 1 for the Leaf.... so yes, a type 1 cable will get you what you need.

KCross wrote: »
    All cables have a type 2 plug at one end (for the charge point) and you just need to ensure the other end is type 1 for the Leaf.... so yes, a type 1 cable will get you what you need.

actually, not teh bleedin final one.

they seem to come in 16amp and 32 amp, this sound right?

any point in getting a 32 amp if you only have a 3.6 onboard charger (for public charging)

actually, not teh bleedin final one.

they seem to come in 16amp and 32 amp, this sound right?

any point in getting a 32 amp if you only have a 3.6 onboard charger (for public charging)

No, unless you plan to keep the cable after you sell the car.
    A 32A cable gives you no real benefits on a 16A car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

https://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/zeroemission-hydrogen-vehicles-could-be-on-our-roads-as-early-as-2023-new-report-38559752.html

More nonsense. Clearly meant to confuse people and discourage them from moving to an EV, they'll think why would I switch to an EV "hydrogen is coming soon, so I'll wait". This is a serious propaganda with detrimental effect on decarbonising personal transport.

Just look who's behind the Hydrogen Mobility Ireland. Fossil fuel companies and stubborn Toyota who don't want to admit making a mistake 20 years ago and have to keep face the Japanese way.

This nonsense is all over Irish news sites.

Hydrogen may be OK if there's excess from renewables (not the case yet) and for very heavy long haulage (heavy trucks). Absolutely not for personal transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If hydrogen cannot get a decent foothold in California or Norway why the hell is it on our agenda? Toyota are pushing hard to keep their investment alive, they will use the olympics next year to push it.

It didn’t help with the high profile explosions, Norway have only sold less than 50 fuel cell cars. I believe Toyota had to give petrol hybrids to its customers after the explosion as there is only 3 fuel stations in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

McGiver wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/zeroemission-hydrogen-vehicles-could-be-on-our-roads-as-early-as-2023-new-report-38559752.html

More nonsense. Clearly meant to confuse people and discourage them from moving to an EV, they'll think why would I switch to an EV "hydrogen is coming soon, so I'll wait". This is a serious propaganda with detrimental effect on decarbonising personal transport.

Just look who's behind the Hydrogen Mobility Ireland. Fossil fuel companies and stubborn Toyota who don't want to admit making a mistake 20 years ago and have to keep face the Japanese way.

This nonsense is all over Irish news sites.

Hydrogen may be OK if there's excess from renewables (not the case yet) and for very heavy long haulage (heavy trucks). Absolutely not for personal transport.

I think that's old news, McGiver. It was in another article last week and we discussed it in this forum somewhere. Eddie Cunningham (motoring editor of the Irish Independent) is pretty clueless in the area of EVs although in fairness he has improved somewhat in the last few months

Agree with you about hydrogen. At some point we will have so much electricity production from renewables that we can't do anything useful with it sometimes but to produce hydrogen. The main uses for hydrogen would be for very high consumers of energy. Such as back up electricity plants, massive ships, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Eddie Cunningham

The man who was given a 200k plug in to test and he never plugged it in

Gob**** is the best term for him.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Work charge point (2 slots) is finally up and running - green paint, etc. Of course there's a Lexus that has appeared a few times.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is it just me, or are the public 22kw AC chargers much more flakey than the fast chargers provided by Ecars? Tipped into town there, spot was free at the public charger so I connected up. All was fine until it tried to lock to my car and it failed. Call to Ecars says 1, 2 cars are charging there right now (only 1 is, mine failed) and 2 when I go through the process again she tells me it's failed to lock the cable to my car so it craps out. Can't get it working, so I park elsewhere.

Ive found it 50:50 as to whether I'll successfully connect to the slower chargers or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Is it just me, or are the public 22kw AC chargers much more flakey than the fast chargers provided by Ecars? Tipped into town there, spot was free at the public charger so I connected up. All was fine until it tried to lock to my car and it failed. Call to Ecars says 1, 2 cars are charging there right now (only 1 is, mine failed) and 2 when I go through the process again she tells me it's failed to lock the cable to my car so it craps out. Can't get it working, so I park elsewhere.

Ive found it 50:50 as to whether I'll successfully connect to the slower chargers or not.

I don't know if they've withdrawn maintenance for the AC chargers or what, but they're dropping like flies around here and aren't being repaired. They're just being marked as out of service on the app, making a double charger now a single.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

They are changing some AC chargers for new ones.

Hopefully that will improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Old diesel wrote: »

Is that underway? Or is it part of the great upgrade promise.

I don't know what's happening with the great upgrade. They've had the funding for nearly a year now and seem to have done sod all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Old diesel wrote: »

Is that underway? Or is it part of the great upgrade promise.

I don't know what's happening with the great upgrade. They've had the funding for nearly a year now and seem to have done sod all.

Seems to be under way.

Seen pics on IEVOA Facebook and ESB posts talking about it were shared.

Advertisement