Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Protests In Hong Kong.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

recedite wrote: »
    Idiot tries to grab a gun from a policeman. Gets himself shot.

Not exactly in a holster was it? Which your description seemed to imply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I actually can't believe how restrained the HK police have been. In the US or even Europe this type of violence would be crushed by now.

Setting people on fire and still you have morons here defending it.

This is no longer a protest. Its a bunch of hooligans who have lost the run of themselves. They have no backing from the majority of people in HK who want to get on with daily life.

Being honest I wouldn't shed a tear if the PLA marched over the border and ruthlessly crushed these punks. Obliterated anyone in the way. They only have themselves to blame now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You referred to "protestors", not the single protestor who set the man on fire (and who should be done for attempted murder). Of course police action doesn't excuse it, as almost all protestors will agree.

Violent, radical protests have also increased yes. But that's not all the protests have been about, this has been going on for a while. To equate the ruthless and ridiculous actions of the police with protestors being "no better" shows that you've not got a good read on the situation, no.

I admitted I haven't been following it. You reckoned I should have stopped there, by that logic I wouldn't find out any further happenings.

As for you whole post above..
    It sounds a bit like an oxymoron.

By the way. - I said I hadn't been following it. Not that I was oblivious to what is happening over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Suckit wrote: »
    I havent been following it, and while the Police may be ruthless, the protestors aren't any better.

That video setting the older guy on fire after beating him. F**k sake :mad:.
    I've seen a LOT worse on the news from French riot cops and the Civil Guardia in Barcelona.

Interesting to note that the baton round was developed in Hong Kong by the British to keep the natives in check, first of all wooden and later plastic and rubber in Northern Ireland to be used exclusively against the Catholic population.
    The Hong Kong police developed wooden baton rounds, but they were liable to splinter and cause wounds.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I actually can't believe how restrained the HK police have been. In the US or even Europe this type of violence would be crushed by now.

This is no longer a protest. Its a bunch of hooligans who have lost the run of themselves. They have no backing from the majority of people in HK who want to get on with daily life.

Being honest I wouldn't shed a tear if the PLA marched over the border and ruthlessly crushed these punks. Obliterated anyone in the way. They only have themselves to blame now.
    Who's defended it?

How many people in HK have you spoken to about the protests? What's your read on their support for Carrie Lam and the police?

• Advertisement

Who's defended it?

How many people in HK have you spoken to about the protests? What's your read on their support for Carrie Lam and the police?

People response to the man being burned alive is "but but but the police..."

I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years. Still have many friends there. They are not happy with CL but mostly due to her having lost complete control. They have even less respect for the "protestors" who are now a violent bunch of thugs. Smashing businesses, stealing, attacking people including women and children. You can defend peaceful protest, even very disruptive stuff like sitting in the road. You can not defend wanton destruction and violent assault which is what this had become.

Time to crack down hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

volchitsa wrote: »
    You make it sound like he was trying to steal a gun from a policeman who wasn't actively hostile, when in fact it was the policeman who was attacking - he actually pointing it at the guy, who could have been telling him to put it away, for all we know. Not the same as reaching for a gun in a holster, or one pointed somewhere else.
    The cop was literally walking backwards with another guy he had apprehended, trying to de-escalate the situation.
    A guy pursuing him and tries to grab the gun. In that situation, there is only one possible outcome.

The cop was literally walking backwards with another guy he had apprehended, trying to de-escalate the situation.
    A guy pursuing him and tries to grab the gun. In that situation, there is only one possible outcome.

“Trying to de-escalate?”

I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years. Still have many friends there. They are not happy with CL but mostly due to her having lost complete control. They have even less respect for the "protestors" who are now a violent bunch of thugs. Smashing businesses, stealing, attacking people including women and children. You can defend peaceful protest, even very disruptive stuff like sitting in the road. You can not defend wanton destruction and violent assault which is what this had become.

Time to crack down hard.
    There's no defending the protestor in Ma On Shan, and I don't see where you're getting this from.

I also know plenty of people in HK. Support for the police is incredibly low. Anecdotally, I can tell you of quite few locals who would have defended police up until this weekend. Seeing that kid get shot has shaken even them to the point where they believe that the cops have lost all control. Most people believed that of the cops months ago. Sure that's why one of the five demands is an investigation into their actions and tactics.

Overheal wrote: »
    “Trying to de-escalate?”
    De-escalating the situation by grabbing a protestor by his throat and drawing his gun.

And that man he grabbed, that was such a threat and necessitated him drawing his gun? Cops just let him walk off as soon as they'd fired shots at the other protestors.

• Advertisement

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3037087/hong-kong-protests-police-officer-reprimanded-after-he-was

Police taunting protestors on Friday evening that they'd celebrate the death of Chow Tsz Lok

There's no defending the protestor in Ma On Shan, and I don't see where you're getting this from.
    I also know plenty of people in HK. Support for the police is incredibly low. Anecdotally, I can tell you of quite few locals who would have defended police up until this weekend. Seeing that kid get shot has shaken even them to the point where they believe that the cops have lost all control. Most people believed that of the cops months ago. Sure that's why one of the five demands is an investigation into their actions and tactics.

The Police are on a lose-lose when it comes to them then. As they got heavily criticised after the attack in Yuen Long, for turning up late and being ineffective.

Both are wrong imo.

Suckit wrote: »
    The Police are on a lose-lose when to them then. As they got heavily criticised after the attack in Yuen Long, for turning up late and being ineffective.

Both are wrong imo.
    Well, that's because people believed that "turning up late and being ineffective" was the plan, to allow the Triads to carry out their attack. Videos of cops speaking to the white shirts, and of Junius Ho congratulating them, kinda gives weight to this.

Overheal wrote: »
    “Trying to de-escalate?”
    Literally walking backwards. The guy who was shot only had to stand there and watch him leave.
    But no, he went after the cop and tried to snatch his gun.

Literally walking backwards. The guy who was shot only had to stand there and watch him leave.
    But no, he went after the cop and tried to snatch his gun.

“Only had to stand there while a cop drew his weapon at him”

What

What way does the majority on this thread think this will end?
    By China entering, or with th protestors getting their 5 demands?

Those aren't the only 2 options, Suckit.

I see protests eventually dying out with neither of those occurring. I think Carrie Lam will eventually cave on a truly independent inquiry into police actions, and this will be enough to (eventually) stop the protests. She'll also resign, no way she can last much longer (I'd say she very much wants to quit now, but can't). Can will be kicked down the road, and protests will break out again in another few years over the same issues.

CUHK right now, vice Chancellor out trying to negotiate with cops. Apparently on phone to district commander, who agreed to stop shooting rubber bullets/tear gas. After he announces it to protestors, another volley comes at them.
    District commander has said front line police are not listening to his order (according to vice Chancellor)

Hong Kong, the way it is run now, is more profitable than other regions in southern China. But if these spotty teenagers continue disrupting things, and smashing stuff, it might lose that advantage.

That's the day the convoy of paramilitary police rolls across the bridge and kicks some serious ass.

Hong Kong, the way it is run now, is more profitable than other regions in southern China. But if these spotty teenagers continue disrupting things, and smashing stuff, it might lose that advantage.

That's the day the convoy of paramilitary police rolls across the bridge and kicks some serious ass.

Can't come soon enough. Then the lads who are out protesting can go back to their dorm rooms and play online games and eat ramen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Can't come soon enough. Then the lads who are out protesting can go back to their dorm rooms and play online games and eat ramen again.

Yeah screw democracy and freedom, what did it ever do for us eh? We will all be better off as slaves.

There have been literally millions out protesting who haven't committed a single act of vandalism. The majority of protests have been totally peaceful, it's only the last couple months that a portion of young protestors have become radical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If one country two systems is undermined further by Beijing then the HK economy is toast anyway.

High-value productive expats have been fleeing the mainland over the past couple of years, and the ones in HK that make their finance hub tick wont be far behind them, not because of protests, but because of the removal of the fundamental things that make HK function. They weren't the least bit impressed with the extradition law and the looming interference from Beijing. One of the chief reasons HK is successful because of it's independent, predictable and reliable legal system free from political interference - one of the main things the PRC is seeking to undermine.

Spotty teenagers indeed. You realize Kevin Barry was a spotty teenage UCD student when he took on the British Empire right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

:pac: Are you for real?
    Shur he only got a small bullet in return, the stupid guy is still alive.

You are a disgusting little person you know that? You have a full on hard-on hoping that Tiananmen Square and Xinjiang happens to the citizens of Hong Kong.

You want concentration camps yeah? You wan't an entire nation, language, ethnicity wiped off the planet?

Get a grip, you're out of touch.

Nobody defended the guy being set on fire. NOBODY. Not even the protestors in Hong Kong. See my above comment.
    You're openly wishing for military crackdown and murder of millions. The **** is wrong with you?
    Go read up on Xinjiang and Uighur people. That is what is happening.

Time to crack down hard.

God this is cringe inducing. Did you live there for 3 years on a holiday visa or just stuck in some office being a code monkey with mainlanders?
    I'm surprised because you seem to know sweet FA about hong kong.

Again, you're only PRAYING people are murdered.

Ignorant is an understatement.

How do you defend the police who have

Murdered several protestors
    Viciously beat and assault non protestors
    Collaborate with Triad criminal gangs
    Beat the living **** out of random civilians and pepper sprayed pregant women in the face.
    Physically attacking children.
    Enter apartment blocks and kick down the doors of civilians dragging them out for interrogating
    Attacked non violent mosque goers simply standing outside their mosque
    Raping a woman and impregnating her
    Entered hospitals to restrain and beat injured people.
    Ignoring the judges and storming the courts to attack people who were cleared of any wrong doing.

Something tells me Mr Losty was drunk in a take away one night and fell over and hit his head. When he woke up to the confusing sound of Cantonese he could have sworn he'd been in Hong Kong for 3 years.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Something tells me Mr Losty was drunk in a take away one night and fell over and hit his head. When he woke up to the confusing sound of Cantonese he could have sworn he'd been in Hong Kong for 3 years.
    Reminds me of the guy who went glamping in Leitrim, and after sleeping in a Yurt! for one night with a bottle of whiskey, he became a world renowned expert on Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭volchitsa

CUHK right now, vice Chancellor out trying to negotiate with cops. Apparently on phone to district commander, who agreed to stop shooting rubber bullets/tear gas. After he announces it to protestors, another volley comes at them.
    District commander has said front line police are not listening to his order (according to vice Chancellor)

Is that because some of them are actually mainland forces who've been brought in undercover into the Hong Kong police force?

God this is cringe inducing. Did you live there for 3 years on a holiday visa or just stuck in some office being a code monkey with mainlanders?
    I'm surprised because you seem to know sweet FA about hong kong.

Again, you're only PRAYING people are murdered.

Ignorant is an understatement.

I'm more in tune with what is going on there than you, my friend. So don't call me ignorant. I've lived in Hong Kong for 3 years and have spent plenty of time in mainland China too. I speak and read Mandarin and have passable spoken Cantonese. I'm still in touch with friends and colleagues from HK on Linkedin. Now they do all have jobs and are above the age of 40, so perhaps not surprising that they don't like what these protests have become.

Tell me young man, what is your experience of HK? No doubt a 2 week holiday and a few student buddies who share plenty of fake news with you? Fly in and eat some Dim Sum, duck and curry fish balls and you think you're some kind of expert. A visit to Mong Kok doesn't make you an expert buddy.
    How do you defend the police who have

Murdered several protestors
    Viciously beat and assault non protestors
    Collaborate with Triad criminal gangs
    Beat the living **** out of random civilians and pepper sprayed pregant women in the face.
    Physically attacking children.
    Enter apartment blocks and kick down the doors of civilians dragging them out for interrogating
    Attacked non violent mosque goers simply standing outside their mosque
    Raping a woman and impregnating her
    Entered hospitals to restrain and beat injured people.
    Ignoring the judges and storming the courts to attack people who were cleared of any wrong doing.

Almost all of what you have posted is bullsh*t that you have read on some telegram group.

But the police have to react to violent protestors with force. They have been too restrained and let things get too far out of control in my opinion. If there were six months of violent protest in most western nations the government would have cracked down and restored order.

People want to get back to business and a load of smelly radical students won't hold up a whole city. The time has come to clean them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'm more in tune with what is going on there than you, my friend. So don't call me ignorant. I've lived in Hong Kong for 3 years and have spent plenty of time in mainland China too. I speak and read Mandarin and have passable spoken Cantonese. I'm still in touch with friends and colleagues from HK on Linkedin. Now they do all have jobs and are above the age of 40, so perhaps not surprising that they don't like what these protests have become.

Tell me young man, what is your experience of HK? No doubt a 2 week holiday and a few student buddies who share plenty of fake news with you? Fly in and eat some Dim Sum, duck and curry fish balls and you think you're some kind of expert. A visit to Mong Kok doesn't make you an expert buddy.

Almost all of what you have posted is bullsh*t that you have read on some telegram group.

But the police have to react to violent protestors with force. They have been too restrained and let things get too far out of control in my opinion. If there were six months of violent protest in most western nations the government would have cracked down and restored order.

People want to get back to business and a load of smelly radical students won't hold up a whole city. The time has come to clean them up.

You know the government serves the people right? And not the other way around.

Do you believe that the majority of people in Hong Kong do not want universal suffrage?

Advertisement