Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Protests In Hong Kong.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I would say Cantonese is definitely not the daily language in Guangzhou anymore, I'm actually there right now. You'll hear some locals speaking it to each other, but go anywhere commercial and you'll only hear mandarin. As someone has pointed out, most of the people I have met here aren't actually from Guangzhou. Though in saying that, I've only been here a month and will only be here another month so I certainly haven't been to all corners of the city.

Anyway, I'm planning on going to Hong kong on the 13th, hopefully the s**t doesn't completely hit the fan before then.
    I would cancel that trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A pretty big deal. The communists will be pissed if someone ruins their parade.
    The capitalist authoritarian communists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Anyway, I'm planning on going to Hong kong on the 13th, hopefully the s**t doesn't completely hit the fan before then.

Just to remind you, in case you've forgotten: the 13th is Middle Autumn Day. Hope you've got your hotel booked...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Probably her last act as Chief Executive if she did it in defiance of Beijing.

• Advertisement

Tactics seem now to be putting lots of riot police at all MTR stations, whether there are protestors or not. Whampoa is a residential area, there was no protest last night and police displayed no warrant. Hard to see why they'd have such a massive presence there;

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1479514-20190908.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah seems like the police are upping their tactics. Joshua Wong was arrested again too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Yurt! wrote: »
    Probably her last act as Chief Executive if she did it in defiance of Beijing.

There was a leaked audio of Lam saying she has caused 'unforgivable havoc' by igniting the political crisis engulfing the city and would quit if she had a choice.

She 'clarified' the comments the following day saying she meant she had a choice.

Audio can be found easily, google leaked Carrie Lam audio(reported by top sources), or have we entered the age of the deepfake voice?

Here is the full leaked audio recording that came out 2 days ago.

http://www.reuters.tv/v/P1Zi/2019/09/12/hong-kong-leader-carrie-lam-s-remarks-in-full

Interesting that Lam did not say the audio was a fake, but rather sought to clarify her comments.

It seems quite clear from the audio that she would have stepped down a long time ago if she had had the choice. Beijing won't let her.

It seems quite clear from the audio that she would have stepped down a long time ago if she had had the choice. Beijing won't let her.

Lam more than most would know how Beijing has thousands of prisoners locked up for political reasons. She doesnt want to be joining them. She's a puppet of Beijing and if she doesnt dance to their tune then her own safety and that of her family would be at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I would cancel that trip.

Are you there at the moment? Ive been talking to someone who is currently living in Hong Kong (been there about 6 months) and she says you'd barely notice the protests when going about your daily life. I imagine it's like Northern Ireland - bar a few really high tension events like the hunger strikes, for most people life was mostly fairly normal.

Outside of a few areas (mostly at the weekends), it's not having a massive impact on day to day life at all. It's hardly a warzone with riots breaking out all over.

Sky news reports it's becoming less and less like political protest.

It's understandable the frustration of these protesters.

They have been provoking confrontations and then retreating avoiding arrests.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

They’re doing massive global rallies today.

Hopefully more and more people support and speak out for HK.

“First they came for the religious, and I did not speak out
    Coz I was not a religious.
    Then they came for Hong Kong and I did not speak out
    Coz I was not a Hkonger.
    Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.”

Week 17 and the protests continue. And its looking like the CCP is going to have large protests in HK next Tuesday, the same day they are celebrating 70 years of communist rule.

**Breaking News**

Hong Kong Protester Shot by Live Round : China Anniversary - BBC

Things only continue to escalate.. where does this end?

Face mask ban brought in, rumours that full on martial law might soon be declared (curfews, school/government offices closing, etc)

Does Hong Kong have that Chinese CCTV with facial recognition technology? Presumably it does and thats the reason behind the face mask ban, they want to recognise the protesters and put them on a data base for picking up for prison. Its real deep state stuff at this stage.

In normal circumstances the UK would at least be making some noise about what is going on but they obviously need a free trade agreement with China post Brexit so are keeping their mouths firmly shut. Trump couldnt care less either, he admires the way China deals with dissent. Sad state of affairs when you've a population demanding democracy and democratic nations maintain radio silence, Hong Kongers are really being hung out to dry by the international community here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does Hong Kong have that Chinese CCTV with facial recognition technology? Presumably it does and thats the reason behind the face mask ban, they want to recognise the protesters and put them on a data base for picking up for prison. Its real deep state stuff at this stage.

It's believed they have 5g smart lampposts that are equipped with CCTV and likely other government stuff ,
    They were also caught a while back secretly installing apps on tourists phones on the mainland that gave the Chinese government/intelligence services complete access to travellers phones ,
    Chances are they would be able to access peoples phones being many use facial unlocks now

Gatling wrote: »
    It's believed they have 5g smart lampposts that are equipped with CCTV and likely other government stuff ,
    They were also caught a while back secretly installing apps on tourists phones on the mainland that gave the Chinese government/intelligence services complete access to travellers phones ,
    Chances are they would be able to access peoples phones being many use facial unlocks now

Police impose emergency powers by banning masks and people hiding their faces.

Reuters

• Advertisement

Police impose emergency powers by banning masks and people hiding their faces.

Reuters

Apparently it's a 100 years old law from the colonial days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Gatling wrote: »
    Apparently it's a 100 years old law from the colonial days

I can see a curfew coming soon.
    Hard to see how this will play out.

Unless the authorities concede enough to split the movement... But they have tried that already, although too late.

Any real concessions could spark similar demands in mainland China. I can't see the authorities allowing that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I can see a curfew coming soon.
    Hard to see how this will play out.

Unless the authorities concede enough to split the movement... But they have tried that already, although too late.

Any real concessions could spark similar demands in mainland China. I can't see the authorities allowing that.

China won't worry about that. They know they can get away with a lot more on the mainland. Hard to see how this will all play out in HK.

mzungu wrote: »
    China won't worry about that. They know they can get away with a lot more on the mainland. Hard to see how this will all play out in HK.

It would have to take something big on the mainland to worry the Chinese government as in multiple cities in multiple regions to come out and have mass protests till then it's business as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Does Hong Kong have that Chinese CCTV with facial recognition technology?
    Absouloutely, protesters were busy sawing them down (5g smart lampposts) a week or two ago with portable anglegrinders.

There may be a few techniques to get around them, but none guaranteed.

Even leaving their smartphones switched on might be enough to track folks with though bt-beacons and 3rd party apps. Having a slightly funny walk or limp will also be recognised via gait profiling.

Even leaving their smartphones switched on might be enough to track folks with though bt-beacons and 3rd party apps. Having a slightly funny walk or limp will also be recognised via gait profiling.

I presume you mean even if their phone is switched off they can still be tracked. That is really frightening stuff coupled with their kangaroo courts and having one of the largest prison populations in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I presume you mean even if their phone is switched off they can still be tracked. That is really frightening stuff coupled with their kangaroo courts and having one of the largest prison populations in the world.

On/off, bluetooth, wifi, even card RFID signatures may be captured. With this new ban coming into place, they'll have to get creative with iR-leds, silicone overlays or maybe just a simple 'algorithm overloaded attire' e.g.

bTjciS4.png

The base systems are designed for about 200 (localised) faces per second, present it with 200,000 condensed and perhaps: os.system("shutdown /s /t 1"); nStarting, or something would result in a temporary crash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Just to point out that a face mask ban already exists in many European countries and being filmed while attending pretty much any protest is the norm.

Very few of the countries in Europe with a ban have it on the criminal code (I think only France, and that's only recently in response to their own protests). As well as the potential for arrest, it's been brought in under a colonial era law which allows the Chief Executive to bring in any measures they'd like to quell disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Anyone following the story about the protester who drowned in the harbour. Suspicious circumstances. Causing more violence. Are the protests calming down or is this just the beginning. They are in the news less and less but I still support them. Yes they are increasingly violent however they are fighting a regime that has over a million people in a concentration camp. I think the police are a disgrace. As soon as they put on that uniform they are defending a fascist dictatorship. Let it fall!

Advertisement