Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Protests In Hong Kong.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

The NY Times has a great podcast series, 'The Daily', and a recent episode was about China, the NBA and Hong Kong. Absolutely fascinating & worth a listen, especially in light of the posts above about protesters at NBA games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the last couple of days have entered the land of no return for Hong Kong.

The policing system is now untenable, and the pro independence groups have also crossed a line.

I can see the Chinese rolling in over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

I think the last couple of days have entered the land of no return for Hong Kong.

The policing system is now untenable, and the pro independence groups have also crossed a line.

I can see the Chinese rolling in over the next few weeks.
    Was thinking pretty much the same. That video is up on another site in full. I didn't have the volume up but wouldn't have understood it anyway, The older guy looked very calm, was just talking and presumably didn't agree with them.

Was not expecting what happened next :eek::mad::(
    I searched and the link above is the first result. I imagine that amongst a few other smaller/indivdual attacks by the protestors will be the beginning of the end for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Suckit wrote: »
    Was thinking pretty much the same. That video is up on another site in full. I didn't have the volume up but wouldn't have understood it anyway, The older guy looked very calm, was just talking and presumably didn't agree with them.

Was not expecting what happened next :eek::mad::(
    I searched and the link above is the first result. I imagine that amongst a few other smaller/indivdual attacks by the protestors will be the beginning of the end for them.

There is a second video of it from behind. It is wierd as ****. Somebody just runs up from a good bit back, balaclava on and does what he does.

Saying that, he was bloodied before the incident so there was obviously some sort of altercation before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Hopefully the Chinese come in and put some manners on these protesters.

There is a second video of it from behind. It is wierd as ****. Somebody just runs up from a good bit back, balaclava on and does what he does.

Saying that, he was bloodied before the incident so there was obviously some sort of altercation before it.
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/hong-kong-protests-man-set-on-fire-police-investigating-12082718
    Tse said shortly before the attack, masked protesters had trashed the nearby Ma On Shan train station and investigators believe the man "chased the rioters".
    "Afterwards he was beaten up and set on fire," Tse said.
    A hospital authority spokeswoman said a man with burns had been admitted to Prince of Wales Hospital, the closest facility to Ma On Shan.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/hong-kong-protests-man-set-on-fire-police-investigating-12082718

Hope they caught him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Idiot tries to grab a gun from a policeman. Gets himself shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

They Hong Kongers haven been driven to this. The city has turned into a police state for the past several months now.

I know most of you haven't been following it but in recent weeks we've seen the police turn even more ruthless. Freedom is gone. It's no more akin to mainland China where the Uighurs freedom eventually erroded to dystopian police state.

This is exactly how it went for them too. They protested and rioted just as much. They were brutally beaten and subdued and now a decade later they're all in concentration camps and their autonomous region has been wiped clean, akin to something from City 17 from Half Life.

HK Police:

They've raided houses and apartment blocks of residents not even involved in the protests.

They're arriving unannounced to non protest area's like the central business district, packed full of workers and just tear gassed with no warning.

They've raided restaurants and fastfood places, tear gassing them...unnanounced while people simply were shopping/eating.

They rocked up to a local mosque and blasted the patrons with blue water while they were simply just standing outside.

They've been recorded dozens of times going full roid rage mode, and beating people indiscriminately for no reason at all. Recorded taunting protestors daily, calling them cockroaches and that they're going to get their revenge (for what???).

When several protestors were cleared of any wrongdoing at a court due to the insufficient, and blatant incorrect evidence. They were set free, and within a few minutes 100 police stormed the court room to RE-ARREST them because the police disagree'd with the court.

All protestors spoke out against setting the man on fire.

But this is what you're going to see. You have millions on the street protesting, and you also have opposite factions and mainland Chinese shipped in to stir unrest and conflict between the groups.
    People are beyond breaking point so you're going to see atrocities being performed.

I'll re-iterate, It's a POLICE STATE now, carrie lam is a puppet and unable to control the police, and the PRC are using her.

None of this would have ever gotten to this stage if the Police and Government(PRC) didn't allow it to happen.

Hong Kongers are highly educated and informed people, just look at any of the discussion and dialogue they're having on forums, twitter, reddit, youtube etc. They're far more passionate about their freedom and city than the average Irish dipstick who wants them to bend over and be steamrolled by China.

They know how bad it's gotten, and at this stage they're saying "if we burn, you burn with us". They're not submitting to the dictatorship that is the PRC without a fight.

I urge you all to actually keep up with the daily happenings in hong kong to get a proper understanding of what is happening. It's absolutely cringe inducing seeing the dog-ignorant thick opinions of Irish people online regarding Hong Kong.

And to the people wishing for "the chinese to put some manners on them". A big f*ck you for wishing the faith of Xinjiang on Hong Kong. You are essentially wishing for fascism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

recedite wrote: »

The policeman on the bike seems the biggest gob****e from that video. Traffic cops beating him on the ground dont look great either tbh.

pjohnson wrote: »
    The policeman on the bike seems the biggest gob****e from that video.
    How about the mindless vandalism at 1.20? No point to it at all, except provocation. Anarchists trying to provoke a fascist response.
    So far the Chinese have not interfered, but if they do, they will make those Hong Kong policemen look like playground supervisors.

Correct yourself. Roided up cop runs into crowd, draws gun and pushes it into person chest while his hands are by his side.
    2 minutes in.

t8ELTXS.jpg

How about the mindless vandalism at 1.20? No point to it at all, except provocation. Anarchists trying to provoke a fascist response.
    So far the Chinese have not interfered, but if they do, they will make those Hong Kong policemen look like playground supervisors.

You obviously know nothing about this movement. Jesus christ go back and educate yourself.

"But what about the vandalism" is the most whingey hand wringing cop out.

Imagine your country, livelihood and freedom being invaded and taken from you. Imagine your people being beaten and subdued daily and everything you once enjoyed being ripped from your hands.

Think back to when the British were occupying Ireland. Imagine you standing around during the early 1900's while the brits beat and massacred Irish people and saying "b-but the vandalism". Do you even understand protesting? Do you even know why theve been driven to vandalism? This isn't a small bunch of teenagers in tallaght on halloween night. They have been driven to this. This is desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Imagine your country, livelihood and freedom being invaded and taken from you. Imagine your people being beaten and subdued daily and everything you once enjoyed being ripped from your hands.
    Pre 1997 Hong Kong was governed from London on the other side of the planet.
    You obviously never heard of how the authorities brutally put down demonstrations in 1967, tactics learned and to be put to good use only a few later in Northern Ireland.
    You mentioned 'freedom'?

screenshot_2019-09-23-d091d0b5d181d186d0b5d0bdd0bdd18bd0b5-d0bad0b8d0bdd0bed0b4d0bed0bad183d0bcd0b5d0bdd182d18b-d0a0d0bed181d181d0b8d18f-24-d0bfd0bed0bad0b0d0b6d0b5d182-d09ad0b8d182d0b0d.png?w=500&h=253

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

-Imagine your country, livelihood and freedom being invaded and taken from you. Imagine your people being beaten and subdued daily and everything you once enjoyed being ripped from your hands.-
    Pre 1997 Hong Kong was governed from London on the other side of the planet.
    You obviously never heard of how the authorities brutally put down demonstrations in 1967,
    You mentioned 'freedom'?

Well that's the sad fact. Neo-fascist tendencies come in many guises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

At no point did the kid who was shot try to grab the policeman's gun.

• Advertisement

I know most of you haven't been following it but in recent weeks we've seen the police turn even more ruthless. Freedom is gone. It's no more akin to mainland China where the Uighurs freedom eventually erroded to dystopian police state.
    I havent been following it, and while the Police may be ruthless, the protestors aren't any better.

That video setting the older guy on fire after beating him. F**k sake :mad:.

I havent been following it, and while the Police may be ruthless, the protestors aren't any better.

That video setting the older guy on fire after beating him. F**k sake :mad:.
    Well that's your problem then, you could have stopped right there.

Idiotic and senseless police tactics over the past few months have escalated things to where they are today. They were roaring at protests on Friday that they were gonna celebrate and crack out the champagne, because a protestor had died. They routinely call protestors "cockroaches", they attacked a pregnant woman today. They put out memorials, they face no accountability. They fired teargas outside primary schools yesterday (with kids inside). This is before even mentioning the kids they've shot.

At no point did the kid who was shot try to grab the policeman's gun.
    Oh yes he did.

A small swipe at the gun from a few feet away wasn't "trying to grab his gun". Here's the moment the cop shot him;

gwMnkWw.jpg

Well that's your problem then, you could have stopped right there.
    Idiotic and senseless police tactics over the past few months have escalated things to where they are today. They were roaring at protests on Friday that they were gonna celebrate and crack out the champagne, because a protestor had died. They routinely call protestors "cockroaches", they attacked a pregnant woman today. They put out memorials, they face no accountability. They fired teargas outside primary schools yesterday (with kids inside). This is before even mentioning the kids they've shot.

:confused:
    So Western media should just stop all coverage of it? Or is it only a select few that can follow what's happening, or is it compulsory that you must have been following from the start?
    I stumbled across the video by accident, and no matter what the Police are doing over there, that diesn't excuse the actions of the scumbag that doused him and set him on fire.
    I didn't refer to anything else, although I am aware of plenty of stories from both sides without agreeing with either.

A small swipe at the gun

:pac: Are you for real?
    Shur he only got a small bullet in return, the stupid guy is still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh yes he did.

You make it sound like he was trying to steal a gun from a policeman who wasn't actively hostile, when in fact it was the policeman who was attacking - he actually pointing it at the guy, who could have been telling him to put it away, for all we know. Not the same as reaching for a gun in a holster, or one pointed somewhere else.

:pac: Are you for real?
    Shur he only got a small bullet in return, the stupid guy is still alive.
    I am for real. He didn't try to grab the gun, he wasn't armed, his shooting wasn't justified. The cop had grabbed your other man cause he had no control over the situation, he was itching to shoot someone. He shouldn't have had his pistol drawn in the first place, same as other cops about the place yesterday shouldn't have. Seemed a directive to draw them to intimidate, and this happened as a result.

Are you following these protests, recedite?

"the stupid guy is still alive"

Would you rather he was dead? He's most likely a teenager, secondary school or university student. Him dying will only inflame things further.

• Advertisement

:confused:
    So Western media should just stop all coverage of it? Or is it only a select few that can follow what's happening, or is it compulsory that you must have been following from the start?
    I stumbled across the video by accident, and no matter what the Police are doing over there, that diesn't excuse the actions of the scumbag that doused him and set him on fire.
    I didn't refer to anything else, although I am aware of plenty of stories from both sides without agreeing with either.
    You referred to "protestors", not the single protestor who set the man on fire (and who should be done for attempted murder). Of course police action doesn't excuse it, as almost all protestors will agree.

Violent, radical protests have also increased yes. But that's not all the protests have been about, this has been going on for a while. To equate the ruthless and ridiculous actions of the police with protestors being "no better" shows that you've not got a good read on the situation, no.

Advertisement