Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Protests In Hong Kong.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Gatling wrote: »
    Someone needs to Irish rail .

Thread has turned into a train wreck

Even CIE couldn't sort this one out. Greencap reckons he's stumbled across something on youtube that can undo his f*ckwitery over the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Yurt! wrote: »
    Even CIE couldn't sort this one out. Greencap reckons he's stumbled across something on youtube that can undo his f*ckwitery over the past few days.

Is that right Yurt.

Or should I say ......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTguwzkjacs5SEFzYh_OA6Tanm_BZMTB9p7d72ajWcc-R0UxOghgw

Impotent rage. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

China's mask has slipped. Well not that it was ever on straight anyway.

But you know what i mean.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/24/hong-kong-fresh-rallies-as-protesters-target-airport-transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

One of the interesting stories of the day was that protesters are specifically targeting 'lamposts'.

But not regular lampposts, these are 'smart' lamposts. Likely loaded with 5G, cameras and FRS surveillance.
    Not even sure how'd they manage to topple such a thing, angle grinders maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One of the interesting stories of the day was that protesters are specifically targeting 'lamposts'.

But not regular lampposts, these are 'smart' lamposts. Likely loaded with 5G, cameras and FRS surveillance.
    Not even sure how'd they manage to topple such a thing, angle grinders maybe?

Depending on how they were actually fixed -

The biggest problem will be Chinese government access to phones , they were recently found out for secretly installing surveillance software apps on to tourist phones on the mainland that gave Chinese intelligence services access to everything on your phone

• Advertisement

The biggest problem will be Chinese government access to phones , they were recently found out for secretly installing surveillance software apps on to tourist phones on the mainland that gave Chinese intelligence services access to everything on your phone

I know people don't realize its really big brother over there. If you have chinese mates don't send them stuff or post on their social media. And if you post a lot of political stuff don't interact with them too much. Partic if you ever go to protests and post it online.

I know it sounds paranoid but that is what my chinese and hongkonger friends have requested from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

I know people don't realize its really big brother over there. If you have chinese mates don't send them stuff or post on their social media. And if you post a lot of political stuff don't interact with them too much. Partic if you ever go to protests and post it online.

I know it sounds paranoid but that is what my chinese and hongkonger friends have requested from me.

This is all ahead of us, when someone like Jeremy Corbyn comes to power(who had very different attitudes towards the visits from Trump and Winnie the Pooh). Just look to these boards and see how many people are in favour of restrictions on speech and thought. Its frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

greencap wrote: »
    Captain history to the rescue!!

With his loyal sidekick ... Billy Tang, of the Hong Kong history society.

05:30

Batman-slapping-Robin-Meme-Blank.jpg

:D UNIIIITY!!
    I'm sorry but you said Hollywood Road divided the island in two. Do you see how small the neighborhood is in that clip?

My point was that you don't seem to know very much about Hong Kong or it's people and culture. A Vox video (that you've misunderstood) doesn't really change that.

I'm sorry but you said Hollywood Road divided the island in two. Do you see how small the neighborhood is in that clip?

My point was that you don't seem to know very much about Hong Kong or it's people and culture. A Vox video (that you've misunderstood) doesn't really change that.

"unofficial/cultural barrier"

culturally.

and it did. now please, just stop.

The video doesn't say that Hollywood Road divided the island in two.....it divided that particular area of Central.

Saying that Hollywood Road acted as any sort of dividing line for the whole island exposes how little someone would know about Hong Kong, and how they'd clear never actually been there. Anyone thinking that a Vox video makes them an expert on a subject is quite typical of a certain type of person on the internet these days.

• Advertisement

Is that right Yurt.

Or should I say ......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTguwzkjacs5SEFzYh_OA6Tanm_BZMTB9p7d72ajWcc-R0UxOghgw

Impotent rage. :eek:

Did you actually go to the bother of digging out that lame cartoon or is it something you have saved on a folder on your desktop to use when you're making an a*s of yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

This happened to my girlfriend who wanted to ask her friend from Beijing albeit he wasn’t over in Beijing at the time. He just said please don’t talk to me about this stuff, it puts him at risk.

I hope western society wakes up that it’s no longer a black mirror episode. It’s real and it’s now. I really fear we will get too comfortable enjoying our freedoms and then it’ll be taken from right under our noses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

These smart posts are more likely to be targetted as they are 5G Facial Recog Systems (requiring high power and hi-bandwidth feeds for 4K video).

Removing a few lamposts won't do squat to a regular GSM/2/3/4G networks.

The video doesn't say that Hollywood Road divided the island in two.....it divided that particular area of Central.

Saying that Hollywood Road acted as any sort of dividing line for the whole island exposes how little someone would know about Hong Kong, and how they'd clear never actually been there. Anyone thinking that a Vox video makes them an expert on a subject is quite typical of a certain type of person on the internet these days.

lame.
    anyway, getting back to the original point, the colonists of this particular part of China lived the good life, overlooking their serf natives in the slums below. literally looking down on them.

Did you actually go to the bother of digging out that lame cartoon or is it something you have saved on a folder on your desktop to use when you're making an a*s of yourself?

Googled it. Took about as much bother as your quote and reply did.

Googled it. Took about as much bother as your quote and reply did.

You're a sad little authoritarian fetishist that made yourself look like a fool on this thread.

Nobody is interested in your strange little cartoons or your bogus YouTube video and Wikipedia 'research.'

You're a sad little authoritarian fetishist that made yourself look like a fool on this thread.

Nobody is interested in your strange little cartoons or your bogus YouTube video and Wikipedia 'research.'

So you keep saying.

greencap, Brits don't run Hong Kong now. Hong Kong society is not dominated by a British colonial elite. The protestors out are not being directed by the British. It's a popular movement where the overwhelming majority of participants are ethnically Chinese. Chinese people who've lived in Hong Kong for generations, many before the Communists took over China.

What does a misstated fact about colonial HK have to do with anything? Particularly, what does it have to do with your wish to see the PLA roll in and put down the protests violently?

greencap, Brits don't run Hong Kong now. Hong Kong society is not dominated by a British colonial elite. The protestors out are not being directed by the British. It's a popular movement where the overwhelming majority of participants are ethnically Chinese. Chinese people who've lived in Hong Kong for generations, many before the Communists took over China.

What does a misstated fact about colonial HK have to do with anything? Particularly, what does it have to do with your wish to see the PLA roll in and put down the protests violently?

You can stop misattributing words to me, massacres, Brits running HK etc. Maybe also concede that theres more ways to divide a society than geographically (culturally, demographically, politically, racially/ethically, economically). Or dont. fck it.
    Your skill(?) as a pedant seems very unequal in its application.

That said, I think if any rioting crowd should enter a parliament and replace the home nations symbols with a foreign flag as a means of asserting authority then violence is likely an inevitability at that point.
    Authority is being claimed. If you want to keep the territory the separatists would have to be suppressed, or if you want to avoid conflict at that point then better pack up your stuff and leave, because civil discourse is long gone.

Are you completely bereft of a sense of history?

Thank you for posting that picture though, its a prime example of why some of these protesters actually do need a boot on their neck.

You didn't say violence was 'inevitable', you wished it upon them. You also said 'you know what would happen if I was in charge of a 2 million man army.' Fetishist and fantasist. You wouldn't be put in charge of a corner shop, never mind an army. You'd try to learn strategy and tactics from wikipedia.

In a free country, people can wave the flag of Papua New Guinea while walking through Stephens Green wearing a sequined kimono if they so wish, and there's not a damn thing saddos on the internet or the Chinese Communist Party can do about it.

If 'the Brits' are gone, why have you spent the past 10 pages prattling on about them?

Authoritarianism to you is fine, just as long as 'the Brits' aren't doing it.

• Advertisement

You didn't say violence was 'inevitable', you wished it upon them. You also said 'you know what would happen if I was in charge of a 2 million man army.' Fetishist and fantasist. You wouldn't be put in charge of a corner shop, never mind an army. You'd try to learn strategy and tactics from wikipedia.

In a free country, people can wave the flag of Papua New Guinea while walking through Stephens Green wearing a sequined kimono if they so wish, and there's not a damn thing saddos on the internet or the Chinese Communist Party can do about it.

If 'the Brits' are gone, why have you spent the past 10 pages prattling on about them?

Authoritarianism to you is fine, just as long as 'the Brits' aren't doing it.

But can they bust into the dail and hang their Papua flag over the tricolor?

And yes I wish violence upon that cnt with the union jack in the HK parliament. I hope they taze some sense into her. lol.

Heres her local counterpart.

And yes I wish violence upon that cnt with the union jack in the HK parliament. I hope they taze some sense into her. lol.

Like I said, you're obsessed with violence. Charming misogynistic language btw.

Like I said, you're obsessed with violence. Charming misogynistic language btw.

but what if she was being a cnt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

They've also shut down MTR stations under pressure from Beijing, yet kept them open to transport police officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The HK police have zero control

meanwhile some warrior on this thread is searching feverishly for some witty animated GIF or video to reply with...

Heres her local counterpart.

Please just stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Have you suggested that about people who live in northern Ireland?

Not to mention women and Gay people in Alabama, Gay people in Uganda and Iran, Indigenous people in the Brazilian Rain forest, Remainers in England, secularists in Poland, India and Turkey, Christians in Pakistan, Shias in the KSA, believers in democracy and Human Rights in Nicaragua, Zimbabwe and Burma....and so on and on and on and on and on...
    China has the moral right to wash away the stink of earlier colonialism.

So the "stink " of colonialism includes the desire not be surveilled all day, every day, freedom of speech and assembly, the right to a fair trial and not secret arraignment before some kangaroo court. Does the UN know about this? Doubtless you also approved of what, say, Robert Mugabe did to wipe away the stink of colonialism in Zimbabwe and Omar al-Bashir did to wipe away the stink of colonialism in Sudan.

• Advertisement

ilkhanid wrote: »
    Not to mention women and Gay people in Alabama, Gay people in Uganda and Iran, Indigenous people in the Brazilian Rain forest, Remainers in England, secularists in Poland, India and Turkey, Christians in Pakistan, Shias in the KSA, believers in democracy and Human Rights in Nicaragua, Zimbabwe and Burma....and so on and on and on and on and on...

So the "stink " of colonialism includes the desire not be surveilled all day, every day, freedom of speech and assembly, the right to a fair trial and not secret arraignment before some kangaroo court. Does the UN know about this? Doubtless you also approved of what, say, Robert Mugabe did to wipe away the stink of colonialism in Zimbabwe and Omar al-Bashir did to wipe away the stink of colonialism in Sudan.

Not of the actions but of the right to choose for themselves.

I dont approve of an alcoholic going to the pub, but i dont presume to tell him/her not to go.

Advertisement