Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Protests In Hong Kong.

Options

Comments

greencap wrote: »
    Right. So because you would ****ing hate to be under the rule of a low life mass murderer like Winnie the Pooh, and because the creeping fascism in China is very concerning that makes Chinas territorial and political claim to land on its coast void.

Sorry China. The Dazzler from boards has decided that you dont get to say how your own country is run because you're not up to Dazzlers 2am standards.
    I'm sure China would like to have the west turn a blind eye whilst they crush the Hong Kong people. You are a GREAT cheeky monkey for the homeland:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Kimsang wrote: »
    They weren't allowed. Under the two party system they were allowed to live in the UK a maximum of 6 months out of the year I believe. Where else could they legally emigrate to?

A flight to Oireland or UK and dump their passport in the toilet en route, easy fix or just fly in to either country and declare yourself as a fella fellaette not finding HK cool anymore or play any type of 100 plus discrimination cards that will get you in to the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

And no, HK constitutes around 2% of China's economy at this point, after a long consistent downward trajectory.

I think you have made your position pretty clear, and there's no changing your mind because of... history... but I implore you to think about people under 30 years old in Hong Kong who have never known anything but freedom, wealth and safety now being threatened by a communist regime, they never had a choice to leave.

Your point about HKs contribution to China's economy is moot considering that's largely how money flows in and out of China. It literally loses its biggest hub to the outside world.
    The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong is Asia's third-largest in terms of market capitalization behind the Tokyo Stock Exchange and Shanghai Stock Exchange, and the fourth single largest stock market in the world. As of 2018, it has 2,315 listed companies with a combined market capitalization of HK$29.9 trillion.[1] It is reported as the fastest growing stock exchange in Asia.

Take a look at this list of companies from the HKEX and see how many are Chinese companies there are

Chinese companies will no longer have a fair stock exchange to funnel money in and out of China.
    Unlike the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, the Shanghai Stock Exchange is still not entirely open to foreign investors and often manipulated by the decisions of the central government. This is due to tight capital account controls exercised by the Chinese mainland authorities.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Stock_Exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Irish people sitting at home telling ethnically Chinese people in Hong Kong that they don't know what's for their own good, their protests have no valid concern and that they hope the PLA roll in and start a massacre is the worst sort of paternalist, authoritarian nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

A flight to Oireland or UK and dump their passport in the toilet en route, easy fix or just fly in to either country and declare yourself as a fella fellaette not finding HK cool anymore or play any type of 100 plus discrimination cards that will get you in to the EU.

People in Hong Kong are mostly pretty wealthy, and would not put up with nonsense like that. I'm sure they would much prefer to do things legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Kimsang wrote: »
    People in Hong Kong are mostly pretty wealthy, and would not put up with nonsense like that. I'm sure they would much prefer to do things legally.

If they have that level of money they should either get out of the place or live by Chinese rules.

If they have that level of money they should either get out of the place or live by Chinese rules.
    But Hong Kong literally has different rules to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This was new information to him up until a few days ago so it still hasn't sunk in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have you suggested that about people who live in northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

You mean to the rest of China.

And thats going to change. Sure

Will it interfere with some peoples lives/plans? Sure.
    Will it be bad for the economy? Yes very probably.

But these are side issues.
    This land is owned by the Chinese people and govt, how they choose to run it is their choice alone, and shouldnt be ... and wont be... influenced by the preferences of a dead thatcher and a dead empire.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    This was new information to him up until a few days ago so it still hasn't sunk in yet.

It really wasnt. And again ill remind you, dont try the low road on this one, you cant win.

I'm sure China would like to have the west turn a blind eye whilst they crush the Hong Kong people. You are a GREAT cheeky monkey for the homeland:)

Mods... does the constant name calling have to continue.

It really wasnt. And again ill remind you, dont try the low road on this one, you cant win.

You were proven in this very thread to have known next to nothing about it.

Bluffer. Troll. Bully. Authoritarian fetishist obsessed with violence and weaponry.

"Salty tears" "Boots on necks" high road indeed.

You were proven in this very thread to have known next to nothing about it.

Bluffer. Troll. Bully. Authoritarian fetishist obsessed with violence and weaponry.

"Salty tears" "Boots on necks" high road indeed.

well no, you found one incorrct date and a missing punctuation space.
    then asked me about green hats.

as with every second person still around today i would have watched the handover on the news back in 97. also lately i watched some videos on the history of hk, and ive been generally aware of the basics of whats going on there for some decades. and of course ive been repeatedly reading about the place in the newspapers/online lately.

that you might be more interested in the finer details doesnt cancel out the fundamentals.

btw i found one little detail interesting. Hollywood road was the sort of unofficial/cultural barrier within HK which divided the island in two. One side for the white/europeans/elite and the other side squalid poverty for the serf native chinese/non-whites.

well no, you found one incorrct date and a missing punctuation space.
    then asked me about green hats.

as with every second person still around today i would have watched the handover on the news back in 97. also lately i watched some videos on the history of hk, and ive been generally aware of the basics of whats going on there for some decades. and of course ive been repeatedly reading about the place in the newspapers/online lately.

that you might be more interested in the finer details doesnt cancel out the fundamentals.

btw i found one little detail interesting. Hollywood road was the sort of unofficial/cultural barrier within HK which divided the island in two. One side for the white/europeans/elite and the other side squalid poverty for the serf native chinese/non-whites.

People can read the thread you know. You didn't have a clue about its contents, the context it was negotiated in, the year it was signed, and the fact it's an international treaty deposited at the UN.

Aye your Latin and spelling is sh*te. Wouldn't have pointed it out only that you were trying to be a smartar*se when you were and are proven to be wrong throughout the whole thread.

Go look up what to wear a green hat is in Chinese for yourself, for fear you might learn something. Congratulations on your Wikipedia binge btw, I guess it's a start.

People can read the thread you know. You didn't have a clue about it's contents, the context it was negotiated in, the year it was signed, and the fact it's an international treaty deposited at the UN.

Aye your Latin and spelling is sh*te. Wouldn't have pointed it out only that you were trying to be a smartar*se when you were and are proven to be wrong throughout the whole thread.

Go look up what to wear a green hat is in Chinese for yourself, for fear you might learn something. Congratulations on your Wikipedia binge btw, I guess it's a start.

no i dont think i will thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vincent van Gogh

terribly poor events but so emboldening to witness the bravery of these men and women, boys and girls, to fight such a gargantuan task that is their fight for freedom. they have everything to gain and everything to lose.

terribly poor events but so emboldening to witness the bravery of these men and women, boys and girls, to fight such a gargantuan task that is their fight for freedom. they have everything to gain and everything to lose.

As opposed to the snarky tiresome "contextual commentary" from other goujos and Muppets on this thread.

How many Hong Kong people do you know, greencap?

You talk about the "Chinese people" owning Hong Kong..... it's ethnically Chinese people who are protesting, who don't want increased Mainland control. It's very possible to be against British colonialism, and to support the aims of the protestors in Hong Kong.

Not if you tolerate a bunch of separatists waving union jack flegs in the local parliament like 'NO SURRENDAR!!' woman.

PRI_72786655.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=748%2C498&ssl=1

Cant be havin that.

• Advertisement

Hollywood Road as a dividing line? In what way, that everything north of it was "squalid poverty"? What about east and west of Hollywood Road? And when was this supposed to be true until?

The Brits definitely lived on the Peak and Mid-Levels, yes. But don't see how Hollywood Road could have been "dividing" HK Island in any way.

Hollywood Road as a dividing line? In what way, that everything north of it was "squalid poverty"? What about east and west of Hollywood Road? And when was this supposed to be true until?

The Brits definitely lived on the Peak and Mid-Levels, yes. But don't see how Hollywood Road could have been "dividing" HK Island in any way.

Yes thats right, the British and Europeans occupied the peak and upper areas. Their house on the hill.

Chinese on the lower tiers.

The content of your posts really implies that you don't know very much about Hong Kong at all; its geography, people or culture.

Not if you tolerate a bunch of separatists waving union jack flegs in the local parliament like 'NO SURRENDAR!!' woman.

PRI_72786655.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=748%2C498&ssl=1

Cant be havin that.
    It's more about their rights to have personal freedom. Was Ireland right to rebel against English occupation?

The content of your posts really implies that you don't know very much about Hong Kong at all; its geography, people or culture.

I can go through my watch history and find the video that states this if you really want. But you'll have to put something on the line to make your humiliation worth my effort.

Do what you like. The Peak and mid-levels had rich Brits and colonials. But have a look at the geography of HK yourself; how could Hollywood Road possibly have been "dividing the island"?

It's more about their rights to have personal freedom. Was Ireland right to rebel against English occupation?

The two are intertwined.

I sympathize with their change in regime/lifestyle/environment, but they are on the wrong side of history.

China has the moral right to wash away the stink of earlier colonialism.

The two are intertwined.

I sympathize with their change in regime/lifestyle/environment, but they are on the wrong side of history.

China has the moral right to wash away the stink of earlier colonialism.

Captain History who has never been to Hong Kong (or likely outside his postcode), and knows fanny all about the place here to tell us who's on the right side of history. And it just so happens to be the side that will decimate the independent judiciary, the last remnants of democracy and ancillary freedoms that the natives of the city wish to preserve.

Because... Brits, some stuff he read on Wikipedia, and a dynamite video timestamp he claims he watched that will say something about Hollywood Road (also a place he's never been and couldn't point to on a map of Hong Kong).

Take a bow greencap, you're winning at losing here.

Do what you like. The Peak and mid-levels had rich Brits and colonials. But have a look at the geography of HK yourself; how could Hollywood Road possibly have been "dividing the island"?

Captain history to the rescue!!

With his loyal sidekick ... Billy Tang, of the Hong Kong history society.

05:30

Batman-slapping-Robin-Meme-Blank.jpg

:D UNIIIITY!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Someone needs to Irish rail .

Thread has turned into a train wreck

Advertisement