Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Agree with all above bar the rye grass element robson. Any variety of grass makes quality feed if got at the right stage of growth, Timothy makes lovely sweet hay as does meadow fescue if young and growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Robson99

Jjameson wrote: »
    Agree with all above bar the rye grass element robson. Any variety of grass makes quality feed if got at the right stage of growth, Timothy makes lovely sweet hay as does meadow fescue if young and growing.

Fair point. Always like Timothy and rescue in hay but more for horses than feed value for beef or milk.
    But a lot of old meadows have a lot of poor quality grasses and weeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Any one in the West with hay down or goin to cut soon? I'm half temped to cut monday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Check the agri forecast at 1pm RTE tomorrow, not sure has the 'hay window' passed. Long range forecasts suggest might be a window in early July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Water John wrote: »
    Check the agri forecast at 1pm RTE tomorrow, not sure has the 'hay window' passed. Long range forecasts suggest might be a window in early July.
    Ya I was too late with fertiliser. Hasn't grown much lately. Might just cut Monday and see. Sure I can wrap if weather turns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone else with Hay on the ground hoping for weather later this week to get it baled.
    I wrapped the headlands on Saturday and possibly should have wrapped it all but left it to try and save some Hay ?
    Anyone optimistic the weather might be ok from Wednesday on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

round baled hay for a lad on Saturday evening in north Westmeath . it was light enough but he said he needs it all he is way down on fodder

Same lad bought 100small square bales I made in late May 2020 off me.

round baled hay for a lad on Saturday evening in north Westmeath.

Jas when was that cut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭White Clover

round baled hay for a lad on Saturday evening in north Westmeath . it was light enough but he said he needs it all he is way down on fodder

Same lad bought 100small square bales I made in late May 2020 off me.

What kind of Baler have you got Lakill?

Sami23 wrote: »
    Jas when was that cut ?

No idea, he asked me Thursday about baling it

• Advertisement

What kind of Baler have you got Lakill?

Jones M12 square baler and JD578 round baler

Jones M12 square baler and JD578 round baler

Fair play. You're well set up so. Them John Deeres are a good Baler.
    Westmeath is a great county for the machinery!

Fair play. You're well set up so. Them John Deeres are a good Baler.
    Westmeath is a great county for the machinery!

No issues with the JD yet thankfully but only 11000 bales on it since new so will do me. Its grand doing my own bit and baled a few hundred bales for others so far in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Hoping to cut 30ac for ourselves towards the end of the week. Got no fert so it should save quick. Have a lot of other hay to cut for other farmers around the area too

No issues with the JD yet thankfully but only 11000 bales on it since new so will do me. Its grand doing my own bit and baled a few hundred bales for others so far in the evenings.

Jeez, how did you fall across that gem? Was it farmer owned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i have 5 acres of hay down since thursday night im not touching it tomorrow because of raiin given, its not far off now, very green, should bale friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Tileman

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i have 5 acres of hay down since thursday night im not touching it tomorrow because of raiin given, its not far off now, very green, should bale friday

Did u turn it out

Dickie10 wrote: »

What part of country are you located and do you think you will get enough sun to save it this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Sami23 wrote: »
    What part of country are you located and do you think you will get enough sun to save it this week ?

Hope so. A local fella here has 20 acres down

Reggie. wrote: »

Forecast doesn't look good at all - feck all sunshine in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »

Jeez that’s optimistic.
    I’d be rolling and wrapping it given them forecast is very variable at present.

_Brian wrote: »
    Jeez that’s optimistic.

Agree - next week now looks broken too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

its turned 4 times since last friday, twice friday, once saturday and once sunday, got a drop of rain sunday night so didnt touch it yesterday and a bit of rain forecast today so wont go near it. its not far off now, giving no rain here from tomorrow on,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm still waiting on my field to be cut. He was hoping for fine weather from last Friday. Had rain up to Thursday and mixed ever since.

I believe July 29 2030 is looking promising

_Brian wrote: »
    Jeez that’s optimistic.

Hard to know this fella does be lucky enough. Grass was half dead when he cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What’s the obsession with hay?
    Surely well wilted silage is better feed value than hay and far less stressful on the farmer and his machinery? It doesn’t take up shed space either.
    Seems some farmers like hardship..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Tileman

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Surely well wilted silage is better feed value than hay and far less stressful on the farmer and his machinery? It doesn’t take up shed space either.

For people selling a bit extra meadow there is decent money in hay if you get it. Deck all money in silage but I agree there is allot less hardship with silage than going demented looking at weather apps. Unfortunately the weather is not as settled as us like. Still they are giving Wednesday and Thursday to be warm and dry so if people have it down a few days it should be ok for them . Nothing as missed able as looking at wet hay on the ground

BENDYBINN wrote: »

This man is a horsey fella

Tileman wrote: »
    Unfortunately the weather is not as settled as us like. Still they are giving Wednesday and Thursday to be warm and dry so if people have it down a few days it should be ok for them. Nothing as miserable as looking at wet hay on the ground

Will there be enough sun on those days is the question ?

As the saying goes "make Hay while the sun shines....."

• Advertisement

Jeez, how did you fall across that gem? Was it farmer owned?

Went up on donedeal at 930 on a Friday night . I called him and he called me back 10am next morning. bought by 1130am.

Yes farmer owned from new, he was moving to pit silage and had put in a brand new slab. Its in very good condition in fairness to him. Yard was well kept and saw a few bales he had made with it.

the week before I bought a 11000 bale McHale BE wrapper so all sorted myself

Advertisement