Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    What’s the obsession with hay?
    Surely well wilted silage is better feed value than hay and far less stressful on the farmer and his machinery? It doesn’t take up shed space either.
    Seems some farmers like hardship..

It’s cheap to conserve. If you have a shed it keeps for years, and is easily transported in times of shortage. It’s great for sheep in that there’s no listeriosis risk , great for calving cows. If anything I can’t understand the fascination with silage bales when a silage pit is so much easier and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Surely well wilted silage is better feed value than hay and far less stressful on the farmer and his machinery? It doesn’t take up shed space either.

you should try square bales of hay. :o however your getting a premium price for the product . working out at approx. €50 per round bale if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

you should try square bales of hay. :o however your getting a premium price for the product . working out at approx. €50 per round bale if not more

On average how many square bales would be in a round bale of Hay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

Hay is a fantastic crop when saved well. Hay and rain of any sort does not mix end of story. If you can save it and store it in round bales it's like old gold as they say. The small bales are a premium but they are not called idiot bricks for nothing.
    To be able to read the weather and not panic is an advantage. I saved mine in the dry spell at end of May when ppl thought I was mad. I honestly don't think we are going to get enough dry and sunny days together to make hay in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    Hay is a fantastic crop when saved well. Hay and rain of any sort does not mix end of story. If you can save it and store it in round bales it's like old gold as they say. The small bales are a premium but they are not called idiot bricks for nothing.
    To be able to read the weather and not panic is an advantage. I saved mine in the dry spell at end of May when ppl thought I was mad. I honestly don't think we are going to get enough dry and sunny days together to make hay in 2020.

Grass was late this spring around here, we were feeding sheep up to early may and even after that there was poor growth so you were lucky to have grass to cut
    I used to make a lot of hay up to 1978, but on the bad years I reckoned that the value of hay rotted and wasted would build silage pits for a lot of farms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

wrangler wrote: »
    Grass was late this spring around here, we were feeding sheep up to early may and even after that there was poor growth so you were lucky to have grass to cut
    I used to make a lot of hay up to 1978, but on the bad years I reckoned that the value of hay rotted and wasted would build silage pits for a lot of farms
    I had mine closed off on 1st April and only got two thirds of what the crop would be but a bird on the hand and all that. The other side too was I had badly needed after grass when no-one had it. Have to say the stuff I made was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hay can be a fantastic crop to give to cows as a kind of pre calfing feed, especially good for Springer's in calf to a big bull. I'd love to have some if I had the storage for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    I had mine closed off on 1st April and only got two thirds of what the crop would be but a bird on the hand and all that. The other side too was I had badly needed after grass when no-one had it. Have to say the stuff I made was excellent.

It'd have to be good, surely over 70% DMD. Traditionally hay would be grown till end of june, probably only 60% DMD. That's the reason it suits suckler cows, At 60% DMD They'd have to eat a lot of it before they'd put on any weight, either on themselves or the calf in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Went up on donedeal at 930 on a Friday night . I called him and he called me back 10am next morning. bought by 1130am.

Yes farmer owned from new, he was moving to pit silage and had put in a brand new slab. Its in very good condition in fairness to him. Yard was well kept and saw a few bales he had made with it.

the week before I bought a 11000 bale McHale BE wrapper so all sorted myself

Throw up a pick when you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭50HX

Jjameson wrote: »
    It’s cheap to conserve. If you have a shed it keeps for years, and is easily transported in times of shortage. It’s great for sheep in that there’s no listeriosis risk , great for calving cows. If anything I can’t understand the fascination with silage bales when a silage pit is so much easier and cheaper.

Re pit v silage it depends on system

For finishing stores hard to beat bales for high dm as grass can be cut when suitable v waiting for a bulk crop for pit

We were always pit but changed to bales as a reduction in numbers ment pit was starting to go off

I think price of bales v pit is another big talking point at times

I cut& ted & stack myself, with a wilt it averages at (8 bales/acre = 56euro baled +plastic+draw

My draw is near and can get them into the yard with a 10 pack working out at a euro/bale

Diesel & time ....put a price on that?

The more of tbe country i travel the more i can't understand big dairy herds with bales, outside of the cost thewinter labour of 2k+bales is high
    I was always of the opinon if pit quality was down substitute it with concentrates

Any dairy lad i talk they all say the same - bales=higher quality=more milk

Spent alot time on the road in limerick and cork and most bigger lads are pit
    Anyone near me with 100cows is all bales

I have sucklers so i can't compare

If i go back up in numbers i think the best value for me may be with the wagon.....and no not the wife:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

50HX wrote: »
    ....and no not the wife:D
    :D:D:D

Any thoughts on the New Holland square balers.
    Given a choice between Welger/JohnDeere/New Holland all things being equal is it the John Deer again?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

50HX wrote: »
    Re pit v silage it depends on system

For finishing stores hard to beat bales for high dm as grass can be cut when suitable v waiting for a bulk crop for pit

We were always pit but changed to bales as a reduction in numbers ment pit was starting to go off

I think price of bales v pit is another big talking point at times

I cut& ted & stack myself, with a wilt it averages at (8 bales/acre = 56euro baled +plastic+draw

My draw is near and can get them into the yard with a 10 pack working out at a euro/bale

Diesel & time ....put a price on that?

The more of tbe country i travel the more i can't understand big dairy herds with bales, outside of the cost thewinter labour of 2k+bales is high
    I was always of the opinon if pit quality was down substitute it with concentrates

Any dairy lad i talk they all say the same - bales=higher quality=more milk

Spent alot time on the road in limerick and cork and most bigger lads are pit
    Anyone near me with 100cows is all bales

I have sucklers so i can't compare

If i go back up in numbers i think the best value for me may be with the wagon.....and no not the wife:D

I be much the same quality of bales is better and cost for a small operator is as low or lower than pit. I take two cuts one about 24-27th of May ideally and a second cut late July/early August.

Contractor cuts, bales and rakes for 10/bale plastic worked out a 3.1/bale this year at 5 layers on first cut average 7 bales/acre.

It was a bit back off what I expected due to drought, it was down about 48 hours and I drew in myself. That is less than 90/acre and the cost of drawing in. I am lucky as draw is handy enough. I see small lads like me getting a contractor in to do pit it could be snowing and they have to let the contractor do it and they would be little or no wilt.

I be very reluctant to change to pit, it would take a week to get across the face of the pit and feeding would be no faster.

With the new balers a bale planted in front of a feed barrier will last the pen 2.5-3 days.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭White Clover

ChuckieEgg wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Any thoughts on the New Holland square balers.
    Given a choice between Welger/JohnDeere/New Holland all things being equal is it the John Deer again?

All the ones you mention are good, the Welger being the best imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Well, is anyone going to chance cutting a few acres ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Well, is anyone going to chance cutting a few acres ??

cut 2 acre glas meadow on sunday, cut with disc mower so safe enough. will ted today if sun comes out. make this meadow in small square bales every year as handy to have

That’s the JD578 and jones

I’m terrible uploading pictures so apologised in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That’s the JD578 and jones

I’m terrible uploading pictures so apologised in advance

No pic ya cabbage

Reggie. wrote: »
    No pic ya cabbage

I added 3 pictures and boards doesn't recognise the credentials :rolleyes:

Get onto Mods

I added 3 pictures and boards doesn't recognise the credentials :rolleyes:

Get onto Mods

Couldn't blame boards for that. Your dodgy at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Planned to cut Monday morning. Hasn't stopped raining since.

• Advertisement

The day has turned up to be a good dry evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

The day has turned up to be a good dry evening

Yea nice day here. Good wind and a bit of sun at times. Neighbour out turning his hay he cut Sunday. More rain given for Friday though. Next week looks reasonable . Dry and pleasant but not that warm. Think I might cut tomorrow and leave untouched Friday Saturday and turn out Sunday .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I think it’s promised good for 5 days after Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I think it’s promised good for 5 days after Saturday

I won't hold my breath. Had 6mm in the last 3 days.
    35mm this month alone

cut 2 acre glas meadow on sunday, cut with disc mower so safe enough. will ted today if sun comes out. make this meadow in small square bales every year as handy to have

I cut out 30ac today. I'll see what happens

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I cut out 30ac today. I'll see what happens

Big dice to roll. Currently Tedding about 50 acres for lads atm.

Big dice to roll. Currently Tedding about 50 acres for lads atm.

Shook it out and all. There's no fert spread on it so it should come in quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Well today mucked things up for a lot of people :(

On a separate note has anyone experience of a wuffer/fluffer/ swath lifter?
    Are they gentler than a tedder for wilting silage?
    I've red clover silage for the first time this year and I'm afraid the tedder will damage the leaves in dry weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

On a separate note has anyone experience of a wuffer/fluffer/ swath lifter?
    Are they gentler than a tedder for wilting silage?
    I've red clover silage for the first time this year and I'm afraid the tedder will damage the leaves in dry weather?

Well today was a bit wetter than was given. Hope the few dry days early next week hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

Is there any way back for Hay that was fairly well saved that got that savage rain today is the question ?

Advertisement