Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Fixed that for you.

if thats what you want to call it, Names and what people derive from them have a huge impact on many aspects of society, if that one subconscious derivation makes somebody a racist then about 75% of the world is racist. There are numerous peer reviewed studies on how having unfamiliar, foreign sounding or unpronounceable names impacts how most people respond to you or what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,244 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

if nobody cares who's in these family advertising photos, why arent they all all-white straight families like they all were 20 years ago here, sure it doesn't matter, why not just re-use the old model.

Because, and believe this or not.. *whispers* there are some people MARRIED to a different race! Shock horror, eh?

So maybe, and this is so far out there, perhaps all white familes don't necessarily represent the entire nation.

What a world!?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Because, and believe this or not.. *whispers* there are some people MARRIED to a different race! Shock horror, eh?

So maybe, and this is so far out there, perhaps all white familes don't necessarily represent the entire nation.

What a world!?

but I thought it didn't matter and 'nobody gave a f***' as you put it.

are you saying that if all ads were only white families that it would be a problem worth caring about , but pointing out any issue with an ad featuring a diverse family isn't worth giving a f*** about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,244 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

but I thought it didn't matter and 'nobody gave a f***' as you put it.

are you saying that if all ads were only white families that it would be a problem worth caring about , but pointing out any issue with an ad featuring a diverse family isn't worth giving a f*** about ?

It matters when people complain about an advert not being "all white".

And if you need me or anyone else to explain the connotation then there's no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,041 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

if nobody cares who's in these family advertising photos, why arent they all all-white straight families like they all were 20 years ago here, sure it doesn't matter, why not just re-use the old model.

Because the straight white nuclear family doesnt reflect most peoples reality nowadays. Whats the big deal?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Whats wrong with the family being called the Ryan family? Afaik children from unmarried couples take the mothers name the vast majority of the time so they would be the Ryan family?

Is it the potential child out of wedlock that causes the scandal?

Fook nowadays even in all white married couples women keep their maiden name.

Because the straight white nuclear family doesnt reflect most peoples reality nowadays. Whats the big deal?

theres no deal, Fan of netflix thought a black guy looked out of place in an an post ad, which to be fair it kind of does , its just not a good photo. But asking that everlast insisted that it didnt matter who was in the photo, my point is that clearly everyone cares being some people want diversity reflective of Ireland, some want that stuff gone and some like gemma are convinced that its being forced as some giant conspiracy.

but yet again, companies do only white ads and people these days complain that theres not enough diversity and as you point it out, its not as dominant anymore as it once was, but heaven forbid a user dares raise a point that one ad looks a bit awkward or something and its the usual 'shut up talking about things like that, its all about just getting all the skin colours in there even if it just looks really badly staged'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

theres no deal, Fan of netflix thought a black guy looked out of place in an an post ad, which to be fair it kind of does , its just not a good photo. But asking that everlast insisted that it didnt matter who was in the photo, my point is that clearly everyone cares being some people want diversity reflective of Ireland, some want that stuff gone and some like gemma are convinced that its being forced as some giant conspiracy.

but yet again, companies do only white ads and people these days complain that theres not enough diversity and as you point it out, its not as dominant anymore as it once was, but heaven forbid a user dares raise a point that one ad looks a bit awkward or something and its the usual 'shut up talking about things like that, its all about just getting all the skin colours in there even if it just looks really badly staged'

But why cant they be the Ryan family? Are you unfamiliar with how last names work?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,468 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why?

pjohnson wrote: »
    But why cant they be the Ryan family? Are you unfamiliar with how last names work?

while that man would be unlikely to be named ryan (unlikely, not impossible) unlikely is the only word ive used, Gemma thinks that the name is part of a forced agenda , obviously is incorrect as i discovered with a quick search of the advert, but as I further explained, if it wasn't ryan , the chances of an ad agency re naming them to ryan is pretty high.

• Advertisement

Why?

the guy doesnt look old enough to be the mothers partner, is definitely not the father of the daughter, doesn't resemble most mixed race people so its unlikely the woman is his mother, theres no father in the picture at all which might of explained kid from previous relationship etc... they tried to convey a photo of a family unit, a family together having the craic to peddle post services. but while im sure somebody could absolutely find a case of a black kid adopted by a single white woman with a daughter and a cat, its really not representative of 99.98% of family situations in Ireland and in this context doesn't convey what im sure an post wanted to. It just feels like 'throw a token minority into a smiley mother and daughter pic'

• Registered Users Posts: 40,319 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gemmas husband was Italian wasn't he?

white foreigners are ok to oul gems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

while that man would be unlikely to be named ryan (unlikely, not impossible) unlikely is the only word ive used, Gemma thinks that the name is part of a forced agenda , obviously is incorrect as i discovered with a quick search of the advert, but as I further explained, if it wasn't ryan , the chances of an ad agency re naming them to ryan is pretty high.

I'm not really sure why it would be particularly unlikely. Paul McGrath and Phil Lynnott's surnames are improbable according to your logic.... Gemma is pushing more than a claim of a forced agenda, she's pushing a white supremacist conspiracy theory. Their surname surname is entirely irrelevant and should not be the matter up for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Lidl should have more sense than to be exposing their 97000 Twitter followers to G'ODs bull****. They're only doing it to get attention for their own ad campaigns, but they're boosting her profile in the process, just like the Green Party were doing lately. Chemtrail is small enough that she can be ignored. Her most likely way of getting new headlines and new followers is getting into public rows with Hazel Chu, Panty Bliss, Lidl, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

gmisk wrote: »
    She is now ranting about a cat because it is a mix of black and white.....not joking....lol

Is there any chance she's been playing some kind of elaborate practical joke over the last few years, along the lines of when Joaquin Phoenix pretended to go a bit dotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

It’s quite possible it’s all an act, having a large number of people following you on the internet can be quite lucrative.

What was her body of work like when worked for the independent? Has anyone digged up stuff she wrote before she turned into a nut job? Was she even a real journalist? I only heard of her a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Ruxjit wrote: »
    It’s quite possible it’s all an act, having a large number of people following you on the internet can be quite lucrative.

What was her body of work like when worked for the independent? Has anyone digged up stuff she wrote before she turned into a nut job? Was she even a real journalist? I only heard of her a couple of months ago.

Sorry but if you only heard of her a couple of months ago you must not follow current affairs very closely.

She was definitely a real journalist and in fact was regarded as a courageous one. She left the Independent because of her doorstepping a former Garda Commissioner and her employer didn't stick by her IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Again - why would he be "unlikely" to be named Ryan?

Plenty of black and/or mixed race people have lived in Ireland, and have been Irish. For decades. Obviously many have Irish names:

Christine Buckley
    Cyrus Christie
    Chris Hughton
    Phil Lynott
    Clinton Morrison
    Paul McGrath
    David McGoldrick
    Kevin Sharkey

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Should they tell actors/models that go for jobs that they cant have them because they are black?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Should they tell actors/models that go for jobs that they cant have them because they are black?

Who?

What jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Whitehouse correspondent April Ryan wants a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

According to some comments on Reddit Ireland, a guy there says he worked on the campaign and the people in the photos are actual families, and not professional models/actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sonics2k wrote: »
    According to some comments on Reddit Ireland, a guy there says he worked on the campaign and the people in the photos are actual families, and not professional models/actors.

Who cares? Its a low budget ad for a discount supermarket chain. This is a political party shes running we're being lead to believe.

People must be so bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Yes, Lidl had a followup tweet that they're in contact with the family as it's an incredibly uncomfortable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

why should we even question it

The Nal wrote: »
    Who cares? Its a low budget ad for a discount supermarket chain. This is a political party shes running we're being lead to believe.

People must be so bored.

Would you like your family being spoken about in the way gems and her ****knuckles do?

Personally I wouldn't be the type of person to take part in an advertising campaign but for whatever reason some people do and if there all to be targets for idiots, why not the ones where the da thinks he's a Viking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

why should we even question it

Because its not common. Most of these ads, they use unrelated actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,319 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Because its not common. Most of these ads use unrelated actors.

the ad that gemma commented on are a real family.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

the ad that gemma commented on are a real family.

Yes, i know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement