Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Yeah i dont think there is much point trying to argue this point... people have their minds made up here. All it takes is a few years in a country... you walk into the citizenship ceremony romanian, nigerian, or pole get handed a piece of paper and come out Irish.

Simple as that....

Is that yourself again Stephen?

They can see the difference, but they're pretending they don't.

What you're getting into here is the question of ethnicity, and whether it matters to nationality. Clearly it does.

Hazel Chu, for example, is supposed to be as Irish as the rest of us, but we can all see that she isn't. Her Chinese-ness is the major theme of every interview she gives. She even refers to her daughter as Irish-Chinese. The child's father is Irish, so clearly the Chinese part came from Hazel Chu. She was born in Ireland, but she is still Chinese.

If she went to China and perfected the language, she would fit in perfectly, and nobody would ask her where she came from. Ethnicity matters. The Chinese know it, Africans know it, Hispanics know it - and if you visit any of their vast territories and try to fit in, they will be quick to let you know that you will never be one of them because you can never change the colour of your skin.

We can carry on with this citizenship-based nationality, but it won't work. When enough non-native ethnics take up residence in a country it will simply break up along racial lines, citizenship be damned.

Bit rich coming from someone who fawns over a theory from an English ****ehawk who considers the Irish an inferior race

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What you're getting into here is the question of ethnicity, and whether it matters to nationality. Clearly it does.

Hazel Chu, for example, is supposed to be as Irish as the rest of us, but we can all see that she isn't. Her Chinese-ness is the major theme of every interview she gives. She even refers to her daughter as Irish-Chinese. The child's father is Irish, so clearly the Chinese part came from Hazel Chu. She was born in Ireland, but she is still Chinese.

Yeah, unlike those whatdo you call thems? The Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Mexican Americans, German-Americans, Norwegian Americans.....
    We can carry on with this citizenship-based nationality, but it won't work. When enough non-native ethnics take up residence in a country it will simply break up along racial lines, citizenship be damned.

Yep, like that America place. They've resorted to cannibalism so its said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah i dont think there is much point trying to argue this point... people have their minds made up here. All it takes is a few years in a country... you walk into the citizenship ceremony romanian, nigerian, or pole get handed a piece of paper and come out Irish.

Simple as that....

Am I irish? "Planted "here after the Cromwellian invasion

Whats wrong with "lord jesus" ? Do you have a problem with the catholic faith? Would you make fun of muslims?

Doubt it.

I take the piss out of the Muslim guys I work with and they do the same to me, so yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Am I irish? "Planted "here after the Cromwellian invasion

Im not sure if you are serious or not, are you saying your people came here during the plantations?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If she went to China and perfected the language, she would fit in perfectly, and nobody would ask her where she came from. Ethnicity matters. The Chinese know it, Africans know it, Hispanics know it - and if you visit any of their vast territories and try to fit in, they will be quick to let you know that you will never be one of them because you can never change the colour of your skin.

Ethnicity is not nationality.

Ethnicity is determined by your genes. Nationality is determined by your culture and your identity. Citizenship is determined by law. They are different things.

The Irish should have learned this well be now. With the GFA, we broke down the barriers between nationality and citizenship and territory.

You portray your conclusion as definitive, but it is a very 1960s view of the world. Times have changed.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    I take the piss out of the Muslim guys I work with and they do the same to me, so yeah.

Thats fair enough and well done on not being a hypocrite. But there are plenty that will lambaste the catholic faith (rightly so) but wouldnt dare criticise judaism or islam.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Is that yourself again Stephen?

Who is Stephen and why are you asking?

Im not sure if you are serious or not, are you saying your people came here during the plantations?

Yes
    But due to availing of your womens I'm catholic

• Advertisement

Yes

Im not sure what are argument you are trying to make here with me. You were born on this island yes?

Im not sure what are argument you are trying to make here with me. You were born on this island yes?

I was indeed

I was indeed

So you were born here and your family came here 100s of years ago... You are Irish or British then. What part of Ireland are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So you were born here and your family came here 100s of years ago... You are Irish or British then. What part of Ireland are you from?

Did he state his family came there centuries ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So by your logic, one isn't truly Irish until they have hundreds of years of heritage? That pretty much excludes plenty of Irish. Do you view Paul McGrath as Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He isn't necessarily Irish or British.

He could have married a Spaniard and taken out Spanish citizenship. He may have spent childhood years in Australia and identify as Australian.

Ethnically, he is most probably Irish because over the centuries we didn't really inter-breed with other ethnicities.

Overheal wrote: »
    Did he state his family came there centuries ago?

The poster is being very vague, not sure what hes trying to achive here. Plantations started in the 16th century, he claims his family were planters.

blanch152 wrote: »
    He isn't necessarily Irish or British.

He could have married a Spaniard and taken out Spanish citizenship. He may have spent childhood years in Australia and identify as Australian.

Ethnically, he is most probably Irish because over the centuries we didn't really inter-breed with other ethnicities.

So basically, hes Irish. He can swap around citizenships all he likes and identify as Icelandic if he wants it means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Here's the essential point. Nobody cares where anyone is from.

Except racists.

davedanon wrote: »
    Here's the essential point. Nobody cares where anyone is from.

Except racists.

Has no one ever asked you where you are from, or do you have any sort of human contact in the real world?

• Advertisement

Has no one ever asked you where you are from, or do you have any sort of human contact in the real world?

Hazel Chu walks up to you and states she’s from Ireland. So she’s Irish. Problem?

Of course they have. But I'm white. When someone asks me where I'm from, they're wondering if I'm from Dublin, or whether I'm southside or northside.

It's not some cheap dogwhistle racism, like it can be when someone isn't 'fully white'.

Hazel Chu walks up to you and states she’s from Ireland. So she’s Irish. Problem?

furrowed brow. "Yeah no, but, where are you really from???"

Ive no idea why you think i should know who she is. Havent a clue. Ill google her shortly.

davedanon wrote: »
    Of course they have. But I'm white. When someone asks me where I'm from, they're wondering if I'm from Dublin, or whether I'm southside or northside.

It's not some cheap dogwhistle racism, like it can be when someone isn't 'fully white'.

So are you saying i shouldnt ask black people where they are from? I have done plenty of times, ive worked with black people. I ask everyone where they are from when i first meet or are getting to know them whether that be in a work or social enviroment.

Im not seeing the issue here at all.

So are you saying i shouldnt ask black people where they are from? I have done plenty of times, ive worked with black people. I ask everyone where they are from when i first meet or are getting to know them whether that be in a work or social enviroment.

Im not seeing the issue here at all.

Black guy says he’s from Australia, or Ireland. End of the conversation no?

Black guy says he’s from Australia, or Ireland. End of the conversation no?

No it wouldnt be the end of the conversation. Anymore questions?

No it wouldnt be the end of the conversation. Anymore questions?

Why wouldn’t it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,408 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why wouldn’t it be?

Needs an indepth analysis of his complete genealogy obviously. Maybe a DNA test aswell.

• Advertisement

Why wouldn’t it be?

Why would that be the end of the conversation? What type of conversations do you have lol

Stop beating around the bush or at least put some thought into the questions you are firing at me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement