Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,319 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Yes, i know.

of course gemma did not know that but neither did she care. she just wanted her little bit of public racism for the day.

Again - why would he be "unlikely" to be named Ryan?

Plenty of black and/or mixed race people have lived in Ireland, and have been Irish. For decades. Obviously many have Irish names:

Christine Buckley
    Cyrus Christie
    Chris Hughton
    Phil Lynott
    Clinton Morrison
    Paul McGrath
    David McGoldrick
    Kevin Sharkey

You could add Chris De Burgh to the list, born in Argentina to an English dad and Irish mother, spent most of his early life in various countries before settling in Ireland.

Something tells me however that he wouldn't be an issue with some posters who need the above list

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Again - why would he be "unlikely" to be named Ryan?

Plenty of black and/or mixed race people have lived in Ireland, and have been Irish. For decades. Obviously many have Irish names:

Christine Buckley
    Cyrus Christie
    Chris Hughton
    Phil Lynott
    Clinton Morrison
    Paul McGrath
    David McGoldrick
    Kevin Sharkey

lol, david mcgoldrick, clinton morrison, cyrus christie and chris hughton arent Irish....

Morrison had to be corrected when he thought Ireland was part of the UK ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Being the kid of an Irish citizen means you're Irish.

Being the kid of an Irish citizen means you're Irish.

If yer granny was Irish you can get a passport. Means nothing. Its a piece of paper. Not one of those mentioned would ever have pursued Irish citizenshiship if they were good enough to play for England.

A passport doesnt make you Irish imo. Tony Cascarino had an Irish passport and he had no family links to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

A passport doesnt make you Irish imo.

An opinion at odds with the Department of Foreign Affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭8-10

A passport doesnt make you Irish imo

It's not a matter of opinion though, it's how it is

If yer granny was Irish you can get a passport. Means nothing. Its a piece of paper. Not one of those mentioned would ever have pursued Irish citizenshiship if they were good enough to play for England.

A passport doesnt make you Irish imo. Tony Cascarino had an Irish passport and he had no family links to Ireland.

Bottom line is Cartman's claiming that "Ryan" would be an "unusual" surname for a non-white Irish person, when clearly there's no basis for that at all. And he's gone all quiet now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I actually assumed that the Ryan family were actors, too. I'm delighted to find out they are a real family.

davedanon wrote: »
    I actually assumed that the Ryan family were actors, too. I'm delighted to find out they are a real family.

I know it's advertising and many advertisers play fast and loose with things they can get away with - but it's literally illegally to make a false statement in an advert.

If a Lidl advert says "The Ryans saved €xxx a month by moving their shopping to Lidl" then there has to be a real Ryan family who saved €xxx by moving their shopping to Lidl and the pictures they use have to be of the Ryan family - or, at least, carry a very specific disclaimer (such as "The Ryans were paid a gratuity for their time making this ad.")

Like, there's an ad on Nova at the moment with a guy giving a testimonial about a business, and there's a "small print" voiceover at the end saying something like "This is a real testimonial but voiced by an actor."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭randd1

There was an article about how the Islamic society are pursuing the route of establishing an Islamic orientated secondary school in Dublin.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/islamic-foundation-in-bid-for-first-postprimary-school-with-muslim-ethos-38479457.html

This maybe the thing that has Gemma come out in full white hooded robes and burning cross mode, more than usual anyway.

Get the popcorn ready, the meltdown and following "debate" may be spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bottom line is Cartman's claiming that "Ryan" would be an "unusual" surname for a non-white Irish person, when clearly there's no basis for that at all. And he's gone all quiet now...

as I've asserted, its not actually the guys name, its her families name, they exaggerated how much was saved by using the figure from her extended family with her parents (named Ryan) the real guy is not named Ryan. Him and his partner (the daughter) returned hime from abroad, so its not even that he's new Irish,

my point was literally that a black lad (not mixed) from a foreign place who had no connection to Ireland before getting with an Irish girl in some country that is not Ireland, is unlikely to be named Ryan.

this is in no way a defence of Gemma but pointing out that she wasn't wrong in saying that he isn't named Ryan , but she was right for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

#PrayForLidl

The lunatic shouting "LORD JEEEESUS" at 52 seconds makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭tigger123

The Nal wrote: »
    #PrayForLidl

That's bat****.

Is Gemma O'Doherty with them?

8-10 wrote: »
    It's not a matter of opinion though, it's how it is

Nah im not having that. I have friends that hold Australian passports. Nothing Australian about them, in the country 6-7 years thats it. None of them are Australian. They are Irish.

#PrayForLidl

Whats wrong with "lord jesus" ? Do you have a problem with the catholic faith? Would you make fun of muslims?

Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,157 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nah im not having that. I have friends that hold Australian passports. Nothing Australian about them, in the country 6-7 years thats it. None of them are Australian. They are Irish.

Yet they are passport holders and thus Australian citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whats wrong with "lord jesus" ? Do you have a problem with the catholic faith? Would you make fun of muslims?

Doubt it.

Yep, I think all religions are silly.

That aside, a group of people praying to a night security guard outside of a tech giants office because someone got banned from live streaming is incredibly silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

#PrayForLidl

"everybody nail".....there is a joke in there about jesus but I wont bother...

Overheal wrote: »
    Yet they are passport holders and thus Australian citizens.

Doesnt make them Australian though does it? Anyone can become a citizen of a country. It doesnt make them Australian like someone who was born there. Surely you can see the difference?

• Advertisement

Doubt it.

Two things. It's not the words, or the sentiment, as such. It's just the way he says them.

Second, anyone unfortunate to have been raised Catholic damn well has every right to mock his or her own religion. Mocking someone else's is a different matter altogether, because it is obviously very important to people: although I do also think all religions are inherently silly, and of course they collectively have the blood of millions on their hands. This is just like how some white people can't understand how black people are allowed to use the 'N' word, and they're not.

Doesnt make them Australian though does it? Anyone can become a citizen of a country. It doesnt make them Australian like someone who was born there. Surely you can see the difference?

They're Australian citizens and per your outlook their children will be Australian. The Australian government swore them in as citizens and as Australians on behalf of the Australians the government represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

You can be born in Australia and not be a citizen.

A person can be born in Ireland and not be a citizen. What, precisely, are the criteria that govern whether someone is Irish? If they have lived here since they were 10, are 30 now, but haven't gotten citizenship...are they Irish? Since you seem to consider 'time spent in country' as the requirement.

I'm one of those Australians, by the way. I'm a citizen, and thanks to regular interaction with my family over there I feel some kinship with the country. Definitely more Irish than Aussie, but thanks for telling me that I'm not.
    Overheal wrote:
    They're Australian citizens and per your outlook their children will be Australian. The Australian government swore them in as citizens and as Australians on behalf of the Australians the government represents.
    Nyeeh...some other criteria have to be fulfilled. You have to actually apply for one thing, it's not automatic if you're born to australian parents overseas. Being born to Australian parents isn't enough - I should know, I was born overseas to an Aussie parent. It's not difficult, it's just a pain in the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

is incredibly silly.
    What do you expect from grown adults that worship a reanimated corpse?

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

What do you expect from grown adults that worship a reanimated corpse?

allegedly reanimated...

....unless by reanimated corpse you meant Gemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

On the third day she ranted on and on according to the twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

They can see the difference, but they're pretending they don't.

What you're getting into here is the question of ethnicity, and whether it matters to nationality. Clearly it does.

Hazel Chu, for example, is supposed to be as Irish as the rest of us, but we can all see that she isn't. Her Chinese-ness is the major theme of every interview she gives. She even refers to her daughter as Irish-Chinese. The child's father is Irish, so clearly the Chinese part came from Hazel Chu. She was born in Ireland, but she is still Chinese.

If she went to China and perfected the language, she would fit in perfectly, and nobody would ask her where she came from. Ethnicity matters. The Chinese know it, Africans know it, Hispanics know it - and if you visit any of their vast territories and try to fit in, they will be quick to let you know that you will never be one of them because you can never change the colour of your skin.

We can carry on with this citizenship-based nationality, but it won't work. When enough non-native ethnics take up residence in a country it will simply break up along racial lines, citizenship be damned.

gmisk wrote: »
    On the third day she ranted on and on according to the twitter

That’ll teach us G O’D-less heathens

• Advertisement

They can see the difference, but they're pretending they don't.

What you're getting into here is the question of ethnicity, and whether it matters to nationality. Clearly it does.

Hazel Chu, for example, is supposed to be as Irish as the rest of us, but we can all see that she isn't. Her Chinese-ness is the major theme of every interview she gives. She even refers to her daughter as Irish-Chinese. The child's father is Irish, so clearly the Chinese part came from Hazel Chu. She was born in Ireland, but she is still Chinese.

If she went to China and perfected the language, she would fit in perfectly, and nobody would ask her where she came from. Ethnicity matters. The Chinese know it, Africans know it, Hispanics know it - and if you visit any of their vast territories and try to fit in, they will be quick to let you know that you will never be one of them because you can never change the colour of your skin.

We can carry on with this citizenship-based nationality, but it won't work. When enough non-native ethnics take up residence in a country it will simply break up along racial lines, citizenship be damned.

Yeah i dont think there is much point trying to argue this point... people have their minds made up here. All it takes is a few years in a country... you walk into the citizenship ceremony romanian, nigerian, or pole get handed a piece of paper and come out Irish.

Simple as that....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement