Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,460 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

recedite wrote: »
    I used it yesterday.

And not one of us will be surprised at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

It's news to me, and I suspect most people, that those were originally the definitions of First, second and third worlds. So it's essentially meaningless, and now obsolete anyway. The cold war ended decades ago. Nobody thinks of Second World, and First world is the western democracies. Third World is Africa and other parts of the developing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

davedanon wrote: »
    It's news to me, and I suspect most people, that those were originally the definitions of First, second and third worlds. So it's essentially meaningless, and now obsolete anyway. The cold war ended decades ago. Nobody thinks of Second World, and First world is the western democracies. Third World is Africa and other parts of the developing world.
    Language and words are powerful and have meaning. It tells us a lot about what someone thinks and feels by the language and words they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

It's news to me, and I suspect most people, that those were originally the definitions of First, second and third worlds. So it's essentially meaningless, and now obsolete anyway. The cold war ended decades ago. Nobody thinks of Second World, and First world is the western democracies. Third World is Africa and other parts of the developing world.*

*I'm ignorant, and so, I assume everyone else is too.

I'd say it's a reasonably good guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Kimsang wrote: »
    This is what I said. If that means 'up in the air' you have a problem with comprehension.

Says the person who dares to ask me questions, and purposeful avoid the bolded question asked of you 3 times which you are still yet to answer.
    Would you call the entire populations of Japan and China racist?

It's not possible to say that, rather obviously. That doesn't mean that Chinese & Japanese racism doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What term would you prefer I used for less well off countries?

Stephen15 wrote: »

"less well off countries" would seem to fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What the fcuk is this thread even about anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Would you call the entire populations of Japan and China racist?
    According to woke people non-whites cannot be racist.
    In fact, it's racist to think that non-whites can be racist.

• Advertisement

What the fcuk is this thread even about anymore?

It's jumped the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,609 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's jumped the shark.

Was probably a fcuking Great White anyway ;)

Not that they seem to be in short supply on this thread :P

Odhinn wrote: »
    "less well off countries" would seem to fit the bill.

That's great whatever you say. Now do you think someone from a third world sorry less well off country can intergrate with ease into a better off country?

That's great whatever you say. Now do you think someone from a third world sorry less well off country can intergrate with ease into a better off country?

Depends on the person. Certainly judging by the staff currently in hospitals from various less well off states "fairly well" would be my generalised answer.

Depends on the person. Certainly judging by the staff currently in hospitals from various less well off states "fairly well" would be my generalised answer.

So working for peanuts and undercutting Irish people is integrating fairly well now I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

It's security risk people shouldn't be allowed hide their identity same way it's not acceptable to wear a balaclava

Irish Nuns watch out, under Stephen's watch you can't walk the streets.
    Or those with large hoodies.
    Or motorcycle helmets.
    Or very large sunglasses.
    Or beards.
    Or a scarf around your face in the winter.

But of course you know it's not about the hiding identity issue that means you are islamaphobic. Security risk my hole.

So working for peanuts and undercutting Irish people is integrating fairly well now I see.

Would you care to give exact details of where foriegn national hospital staff are undercutting irish hospital staff? You might also give me the various nursing and medical unions views on this.

Would you care to give exact details of where foriegn national hospital staff are undercutting irish hospital staff? You might also give me the various nursing and medical unions views on this.

So could you please tell me why eight out of ten nursing graduates were considering emigration in 2017. Pay is better abroad and likewise so are conditions better abroad. Irish nurses are literally voting with their feet and emigrating. But yet how does our healthcare system manage to function at all with so the majority of staff emigrating becuase they are replaced by cheaper labour from abroad. The unions are clearly not doing a

https://www.newstalk.com/news/eight-out-of-ten-nursing-graduates-considering-emigration-539134

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Developing and least developed countries are the recognised terms. The continent of Africa is made up of a mixture of the two.

batgoat wrote: »
    Developing and least developed countries are the recognised terms. The continent of Africa is made up of a mixture of the two.

Does it even matter what term I use you get the gist surely

• Advertisement

So could you please tell me why eight out of ten nursing graduates were considering emigration in 2017. Pay is better abroad and likewise so are conditions better abroad. Irish nurses are literally voting with their feet and emigrating. But yet how does our healthcare system manage to function at all with so the majority of staff emigrating becuase they are replaced by cheaper labour from abroad. The unions are clearly not doing a

https://www.newstalk.com/news/eight-out-of-ten-nursing-graduates-considering-emigration-539134

Sorry, but that article says nothing about staff emigrating "because they are replaced by cheaper labour" - not being offered contracts seems to be the main reason.

Again - exact details of where foriegn national hospital staff are undercutting irish hospital staff? You might also give me the various nursing and medical unions views on this.

There are two reasons nurses are leaving the country. **** pay, staff shortages resulting in crazy hours. Teachers face a very similar scenario and are also leaving the country. So by your rationale, migrants must also be responsible for underpaid teachers. The government is responsible, not migrants and nurses are not blaming them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

biko wrote: »

Notice how woke types refuse to answer this question. It is lose lose for them. If they answer yes, they prove they are racists because they define characteristics based on skin colour.

If they answer no, they are hypocrites.

So these woke types inferring I (a non-white) am racist, is racist. Pappa Dollar, pjohnson,Joey, bagoat... are you guys white?

Because if so inferring a non-white is racist is pretty racist of you...
    How about some other posters here who "don't consider themselves racist" answer?

Kimsang?
    pjohnson wrote: »
    So racists continue to insist nothing is ever racist. I dont get their phobia of the word but its amusing anyway. They try to cling onto some part of the modern "PC" world.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Fair play on the consistency of racism denial. Real shame you cant be proud and admit what you believe but hey ho.
    Yeah it is kind of hilarious really. I wonder if some people around here are just sticking to a National Party handbook instruction of deny racism always.
    Just checked, Kimsang was pretty up in the air on the being Irish stuff with the waffle about being Chinese or Japanese.
    Question for Recedite, Blue shoe, Kim and Stephen.
    Do you think an immigrant of a different culture can bring any cultural or societal value to the country they're emigrating to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

There are two reasons nurses are leaving the country. **** pay, staff shortages resulting in crazy hours. Teachers face a very similar scenario and are also leaving the country. So by your rationale, migrants must also be responsible for underpaid teachers. The government is responsible, not migrants and nurses are not blaming them.

Irish teachers are the 6th highest paid in the world, ridiculous holidays and a huge pension.

Irish nurses 9th highest paid in the world.

The public sector is a greedy, lazy parasite

Does it even matter what term I use you get the gist surely

It does tbh, most of the world falls under developing countries rather than developed. Including the likes of Russia and most of Asia. You seem to think it's just Africa. You want to portray a continent as uncivilised savages..

Notice how woke types refuse to answer this question. It is lose lose for them. If they answer yes, they prove they are racists because they define characteristics based on skin colour.

If they answer no, they are hypocrites.

So these woke types inferring I (a non-white) am racist, is racist. Pappa Dollar, pjohnson,Joey, bagoat... are you guys white?

Because if so inferring a non-white is racist is pretty racist of you...

I already stated that Japan has a pretty well established history of xenophobia. That has been called out by the likes of the UN. They're now pretty desperate for migrants due to aging population.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Irish teachers are the 6th highest paid in the world, ridiculous holidays and a huge pension.

Irish nurses 9th highest paid in the world.

The public sector is a greedy, lazy parasite
    Depends on a lot.There's cost of living in a country and also rate by stage:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/teacher-salaries-by-country-2016-1?op=1&r=US&IR=T

Starting salary is not so good.

Re nurses:
    https://www.careeraddict.com/top-5-countries-with-the-highest-paid-salaries-for-nurses

Not seeing what you're seeing but feel free to share evidence. I love me some evidence.

Your comment about the public sector is beneath you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

biko wrote: »

You're being sarcastic, but you're getting to the point. Whenever you see any conservative type try to apply the word "racist" to non-whites for being ethnocentric or having a preference for their own tribe, they just laugh it off. The word has no effect on them.

When you understand this, you understand that "racist" is an ethnic pejorative that only applies to white people, usually for the crime of wanting to be left alone in a society untroubled by multiculturalism. It's basically the white equivalent of the word "n!gg3r."

It follows that when you're being called "racist," you are in essence being called a "n!gg3r," and very often this name-calling comes from a member of your own race.

(I should add that I don't encourage the use of either of the above dehumanising racial epithets.)

Exactly they are leaving becuase pay and conditions are crap. You are right in saying that the government is responsible. But why is it so that if so many nurses are leaving the health service has yet to collapse entirely becuase foreign nurses are willing to put up with the crap pay and conditions and Irish ones are not they expect better and rightly so.

• Advertisement

Exactly they are leaving becuase pay and conditions are crap. You are right in saying that the government is responsible. But why is it so that if so many nurses are leaving the health service has yet to collapse entirely becuase foreign nurses are willing to put up with the crap pay and conditions and Irish ones are not they expect better and rightly so.

Hang on a tic - a few posts ago it was them "undercutting Irish people".....wheres the evidence?

The majority of nurses in irish hospitals are still Irish, afaik.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement