Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Because we would be sent back on the next plane.

Go away with your famine rethoric thank whoring.

What are you on about??

Your reply makes no sense whatsoever?

Too much sherry tonight??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

cookie1977 wrote: »
    But what has all that got to do with migration? Migrants either flee poverty or persecution. Why would the majority of Irish or Westerners flee to poverty? Your premise makes no sense. Of course they'd for the most part pick Australia. Here's a lollipop for being correct.

Ok so I will to try to break down your agrument please hear me out. The point I was making was that Westerners may have the same difficulty intergrating into a society which suffers from poverty which I would generally refer to as a third world country as a migrant from a third world country would have intergrating into a first world western country.
    The emigrant Irish have returned home and done this country proud. Migrants often often return home long after fleeing there home to restart anew. Returning migrants can help develop their countries. Reducing emigration from said countries (see Ireland as an example)

Can you please clear up what you are referring to Irish people who moved to America or Australia returning to Ireland? I would personally like to see migrants either return to their own countries in order to help build up their own countries and improve them. It can't be good for those countries to see a large proportion of their young talent emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I haven't been to Australia myself but I have heard some bad things from people who have been there likewise the US but even though I would not want to leave Ireland I would probably prefer to emigrate to those countries than poorer countries that don't speak English like Bangladesh.

Have you spent time in many places out side of Ireland? Whereabouts have you experienced yourself?

(I think English is compulsory in schools and colleges in Bangladesh, I've never been to Bangladesh myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Too much sherry tonight??

Another thank whore rhetoric.

Have you anything original to say?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Have you spent time in many places out side of Ireland? Whereabouts have you experienced yourself?

I have never been outside of Europe but within Europe I have visted the UK (numerous times), Germany (numerous times), Italy (numerous times), France (numerous times) and Portugal (just the once).

• Advertisement

Another thank whore rhetoric.

Have you anything original to say?

Still no idea what you're talking about?

We would have been sent back on the plane from where?

Btw during the famine we didn't take planes. :D:D:D

I have never been outside of Europe but within Europe I have visted the UK (numerous times), Germany (numerous times), Italy (numerous times), France (numerous times) and Portugal (just the once).

He hasn't been to Bangladesh either but some how presumes his opinions his better than yours.

Cool, all places I've enjoyed! And could you see yourself settling in in France say?

Still no idea what you're talking about?

We would have been sent back on the plane from where?

Btw during the famine we didn't take planes. :D:D:D

That's some leap you done there.

Because we would be sent back on the next plane.

Go away with your famine rethoric thank whoring.

I'm still awaiting your explanation for the above??

We would have been sent back on the next plane from where exactly????

• Advertisement

He hasn't been to Bangladesh either but some how presumes his opinions his better than yours.

Are you talking about me?

Cool, all places I've enjoyed! And could you see yourself settling in in France say?

Because you think you have a big gotcha moment and say sure they don't speak English there. :rolleyes:

That's some leap you done there.

Again, explain what "we would have been sent back on the next plane" then????

You're really making an eejit of yourself now.

I'm off to bed, suggest you do the same before you make even more of a show of yourself.

Again, explain what "we would have been sent back on the next plane" then????

You're really making an eejit of yourself now.

I'm off to bed, suggest you do the same before you make even more of a show of yourself.

Good night now.

Because you think you have a big gotcha moment and say sure they don't speak English there. :rolleyes:

I don't know what your talking about.

I don't know what your talking about.

Yes you do.

Perhaps but right now I'm happy where I am here in Ireland and will likely remain here for the foreseeable future. I have no plans to emigrate at this moment in time.

Perhaps but right now I'm happy where I am here in Ireland and will likely remain here for the foreseeable future. I have no plans to emigrate at this moment in time.

Same as myself.

I even feel a bit disconnected in places like France, walking around not knowing the language. Signs / tv / radio/ newspaper stands etc.

Yes you do.

Please stop. Thanks.

Please stop. Thanks.

You should stop also.

• Advertisement

Same as myself.

I even feel a bit disconnected in places like France, walking around not knowing the language. Signs / tv / radio/ newspaper stands etc.

So do I a bit which why would feel even more disconnected in a place like Bangladesh which is completely alien to here.

While I don't particularly agree with Gemma it seems Youtube are using her as a precedent and have now shut down another Youtube channel called the Iconoclast which had over 200k subscribers and they have yet to give any reason I also have not seen any evidence that this channel has broken Youtube's terms of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

batgoat wrote: »
    Just checked, Kimsang was pretty up in the air on the being Irish stuff with the waffle about being Chinese or Japanese. Do you believe she's Irish? You're also claiming to have not seen the video? Really?
    3. I just did some research it seems she was born in Ireland so she passes my test for being Irish. But Irish is a subjective term to many. Many tie it in ethnically to race, like the Japanese and Chinese for example.

This is what I said. If that means 'up in the air' you have a problem with comprehension.
    Don't you dare come back at me with your nonsense until you've answered the questions posed to you.

Says the person who dares to ask me questions, and purposeful avoid the bolded question asked of you 3 times which you are still yet to answer.
    Would you call the entire populations of Japan and China racist?

At least one honest poster came and said they would call the entirety of Japan racist. That at least advances the conversation somewhat.
    Do you think an Irish person can be black? Do you think non white Irish people "weakens Irish culture"? That's a term you've used.

The question has been asked and answered repeatedly already. To continue asking these questions is making an implication, its ridiculous. Is this a debate forum or a day care centre? These days it resembles more of a turd flinging contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Ok so I will to try to break down your agrument please hear me out. The point I was making was that Westerners may have the same difficulty intergrating into a society which suffers from poverty which I would generally refer to as a third world country as a migrant from a third world country would have intergrating into a first world western country.
    It's been a few decades since people used the term "Third World". Do you understand how and why economic migration (and refuge) works? Why are you talking about westerners migrating to poorer economies??
    While I don't particularly agree with Gemma it seems Youtube are using her as a precedent and have now shut down another Youtube which had over 200k subscribers and they have yet to give any reason I also have not seen any evidence that this channel has broken Youtube's terms of service.

No, no, no, no, no, no. You're going to have to talk to someone else now. You dont ever give evidence and you dont answer questions you dont like/cant answer. And the passive aggressive thing is wearing thin :cool:

It's been a few decades since people used the term "Third World". Do you understand how and why economic migration (and refuge) works? Why are you talking about westerners migrating to poorer economies??

Well my most sincere apologies that I am not using the politically correct terms such as developing world but I'm not sure what issue is with the term and I still hear it being used fairly regularly. I am using the analogy of people from first world countries migrating to the third world to put the social and cultural differences between first and third world countries into perspective.

I'm trying to prove the point that if people from the first world would have difficulty intergrating into third world countries then so would third world migrants relocatingbto the first world it generally works both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Well my most sincere apologies that I am not using the politically correct terms such as developing world but I'm not sure what issue is with the term and I still hear it being used fairly regularly. I am using the analogy of people from first world countries migrating to the third world to put the social and cultural differences between first and third world countries into perspective.

I'm trying to prove the point that if people from the first world would have difficulty intergrating into third world countries then so would third world migrants relocatingbto the first world it generally works both ways.
    It's pretty relevant. The first world is nations aligned with Nato, the second world is nations aligned with the Soviet Bloc and the third world is those aligned with neither. Since there is no longer a Cold War, the terms are pretty meaningless. Whoever you hear using it, likely doesn't understand the meanings of the terms. Sweden, Ireland and Finland meet the definition of the third world btw. ;)

It's pretty relevant. The first world is nations aligned with Nato, the second world is nations aligned with the Soviet Bloc and the third world is those aligned with neither. Since there is no longer a Cold War, the terms are pretty meaningless. Whoever you hear using it, likely doesn't understand the meanings of the terms. Sweden, Ireland and Finland meet the definition of the third world btw. ;)

I didn't know that it's a new one to me. But these days I would generally regard the third world and the developing world as the same thing. You know what I mean surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

While I don't particularly agree with Gemma it seems Youtube are using her as a precedent and have now shut down another Youtube channel called the Iconoclast which had over 200k subscribers and they have yet to give any reason I also have not seen any evidence that this channel has broken Youtube's terms of service.
    Gemma really isn't that significant in the global context. YouTube have dealt with many of these channels in recent years, and will deal with many more.

Is the Iconoclast that you don't see any problem with the guy who described himself as "Right-wing hate preacher. Literally Hitler"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I didn't know that it's a new one to me. But these days I would generally regard the third world and the developing world as the same thing. You know what I mean surely?

Don't worry, everyone knows what you *mean*.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It's been a few decades since people used the term "Third World"...:cool:
    I used it yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement