Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,966 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nobelium wrote: »
    obsessed with gun love and terrorism aren't ye

I ain't spending scarce money building aircraft carriers Nobelium.

The British tried to bully the Chinese over Hong Kong and a legal lease and backed off when the Chinese said they would enforce the lease terms. Fact. The bigger gun won, read Maggie's memoirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

bit hard on the Irish, most of them are not that bad

We have never invaded a single territory on the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

bit hard on the Irish, most of them are not that bad

Mayo invaded the territory of Hill 16 a few years ago. And it worked on the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

shyte, the Irish soldiers and civil servants were quite happy to pillage foreign lands and administer them for the Brits

I ain't spending scarce money building aircraft carriers Nobelium.

The British tried to bully the Chinese over Hong Kong and a legal lease and backed off when the Chinese said they would enforce the lease terms. Fact. The bigger gun won, read Maggie's memoirs.

banging on about guns again, but yeah ye had to hand over your weapons to the bigger gun as well

• Advertisement
    M

shyte, the Irish soldiers and civil servants were quite happy to pillage foreign lands and administer them for the Brits

I suppose besides 'terrorist attacks' trying to retrieve lands seized from us we were in the clear.

Ireland missed out when the UK annexed Rockall under their noses in 1955.
    No point in pissing and moaning about it now.
    You snooze you loose Ireland, including most importantly . . all the mineral and economic rights.

I suppose besides 'terrorist attacks' trying to retrieve lands seized from us we were in the clear.

Irish soldiers and civil servants are remembered as some of the most racist goons the Brits had across their empire.

banging on about guns again, but yeah ye had to hand over your weapons to the bigger gun as well

Eh...nothing was handed over, research dear chap.

Irish soldiers and civil servants are remembered as some of the most racist goons the Brits had across their empire.

janfebmar will insist that those Irish were working for the Empire...like some Irish still are.

• Advertisement
    M

What race would have been around in 1916 to reject? I recall no mention in Joe Duffy's buke so to speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

janfebmar will insist that those Irish were working for the Empire...like some Irish still are.

?? Dunno what you mean there? I just quoted from the net " is estimated that as many as six million people living in the UK have an Irish-born grandparent (around 10% of the UK population). The 2001 UK Census states that 869,093 people born in Ireland are living in Great Britain".

janfebmar wrote: »
    ?? Dunno what you mean there? I just quoted from the net " is estimated that as many as six million people living in the UK have an Irish-born grandparent (around 10% of the UK population). The 2001 UK Census states that 869,093 people born in Ireland are living in Great Britain".

Ireland is in the EU...not the Uk. You can be in the UK if you move.

*and BTW all of Ireland will remain in the EU...if the UK wish to leave the EU.

Eh...nothing was handed over, research dear chap.

At the end of the day the British kept their weapons, the pira and the paramilitaries had theirs confinscated / put beyond use / handed over to be destroyed.

At the end of the day the British kept their weapons, the pira and the paramilitaries had theirs confinscated / put beyond use / handed over to be destroyed.

Yes, the British are still killing to achieve their aims...no argument there.

Ireland is in the EU...not the Uk. You can be in the UK if you move.

*and BTW all of Ireland will remain in the EU...if the UK wish to leave the EU.

It will not actually. N.I. is part of the UK, like it or not. Vat and taxation and everything else in N.I will continue to be administered by the UK. Thanks to Leo the EU will build a border.

Yes, the British are still killing to achieve their aims...no argument there.

Not as many as the those who murder people like the poor journalist in Derry. She was murdered by the people you inspired, not by the British.

Not as many as the those who murder people like the poor journalist in Derry. She was murdered by the people you inspired, not by the British.

So they didn't give up their guns? Make up your mind jan.

It will not actually. N.I. is part of the UK, like it or not. Vat and taxation and everything else in N.I will continue to be administered by the UK. Thanks to Leo the EU will build a border.

If the UK wants a deal..all of Ireland will be in the EU. The last PM just lost her job trying to avoid that after agreeing that would be the case.

So they didn't give up their guns? Make up your mind jan.

The young thugs who murdered the journalist in Derry were not old enough to be paramilitaries when the paramilitaries had their semtex and weapons taken away and destroyed.

• Advertisement

If the UK wants a deal..all of Ireland will be in the EU.
    So the UK is being blackmailed by Ireland. See how that ends. Not good for either side.

So the UK is being blackmailed by Ireland. See how that ends. Not good for either side.

No jan...the UK is going to have to do what they agreed to do. No blackmail..read the Withdrawal Agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Another Tory dimwit who finds it difficult to understand that when it comes to trade, standards, and tariffs, Ireland is the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Yes but you can't do deals outside the EU, you are either in or out, we can't do deals when the UK have left to allow them to sell us parsnips for x price when the rest of the EU has tariffs at y for imported parsnips from outside the EU.

There appears to be reciprical fishing agreements(outside of the EU)currently in place between Ireland and Britain -why can't these continue regardless?

No jan...the UK is going to have to do what they agreed to do. No blackmail..read the Withdrawal Agreement.

To me,the current situation is the WA is dead,the UK will either revoke or leave without a deal which would cause mayhem both sides of the border-we're all fcuked if boris Johnson gets in,the fact that trump likes him is enough to set anyone's alarm bells ringing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

If the UK wants a deal..all of Ireland will be in the EU. The last PM just lost her job trying to avoid that after agreeing that would be the case.

If true, ,that's quite a bold & sobering claim, as it would (in theory) take Northern Ireland out if the United Kingdom, which in turn would be against the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement which states that NI cannot cease to be part of the UK (without the consent of the people living there)!

If asked, would they vote to leave the UK & be part of this country? that is the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

RobMc59 wrote: »
    To me,the current situation is the WA is dead,the UK will either revoke or leave without a deal which would cause mayhem both sides of the border-we're all fcuked if boris Johnson gets in,the fact that trump likes him is enough to set anyone's alarm bells ringing!

Surely the EU will just insist on the backstop in any future trade agreement??

Unless the UK is just not going to trade with the EU into the future??

If asked, would they vote to leave the UK & be part of this country? that is the question.

Does not look like it, 11 of the 18 MPs there are unionist last time I looked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Does not look like it, 11 of the 18 MPs there are unionist last time I looked?

Also voted no to leaving the EU.....funny old business this selective picking of facts

• Advertisement

_blaaz wrote: »
    Surely the EU will just insist on the backstop in any future trade agreement??

Unless the UK is just not going to trade with the EU into the future??

I think the hardline tories truly believe the EU will blink at the last moment and seem unwilling or unable to see the EU holds all the cards.

Advertisement