Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

janfebmar wrote: »
    Your memory that bad you never know the day of the week it is?

More like even though I'd know the day if I was in agreement with Trump the shock would be such I'd have to check it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

More like even though I'd know the day if I was in agreement with Trump the shock would be such I'd have to check it :pac:

You are in good company, the likes of Hitler and col. Bacardi and Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein used to say the same thing, if they were ever in agreement with the elected president of the usa and he said the day of the eeek, they would check the calendar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

But, if Trump said today was Thursday I'd still check the calendar.

Trump would be correct. Does that carry any weight with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,935 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Your memory that bad you never know the day of the week it is? At least Trump could remember to tell Leo and the world that the US-UK special relationship was the greatest alliance the world had ever seen. Francis thought that was the Libya-Ira alliance. Leo though the world's greatest alliance was between him and Kylie Minogue because he wrote a letter to her.

The 'greatest alliance' if the terms of reference are running around like a lapdog riding shotgun for US interests around the globe.

I'd prefer the alliance that gives us two days of access to one of the most powerful economies worth billions in trade and tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They kissed and made up after that, AFAIK, and back to fishing in the relative waters.
    I'd only heard about them complaining about the 12 mile limit, but shouldn't it even be allowed within the 0-6 miles regardless IF they claim Rockall is part of Scotland?
    IF Rockall is considered the same as any other part of Scotland and IF the gentleman's agreement is back on again, and IF the Scots are inclined to include themselves in it, then yes.

Irish trawlers should be allowed within 6 miles of Rockall as long as Scotland is still in the EU, and right up to the rock IF the Scots are feeling generous.

Scots tend to be as tight as a Rockall codfish's hole though.

• Advertisement

The 'greatest alliance' if the terms of reference are running around like a lapdog riding shotgun for US interests around the globe.

Riding shotgun with a partner is better than not riding with the partner at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

taking back control

I'd prefer the alliance that gives us two days of access to one of the most powerful economies worth billions in trade and tourism.

The UK will have the best of both worlds post Brexit. Are you still wishing for an independent Scotland? Not sensing much love from them towards the RoI.

Ha ha ha...who mentioned 'partner'...partner infers equality. The UK and the US 'equals'???

'catch yerself on', as they'd say in Belfast.

Berserker wrote: »
    The UK will have the best of both worlds post Brexit. Are you still wishing for an independent Scotland? Not sensing much love from them towards the RoI.

Sure they will Beserker...sure they will!

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha...who mentioned 'partner'...partner infers equality. The UK and the US 'equals'???

Every President of the USA and British PM for generations.

Except that the UK have debased themselves to such an extent they are now a compliant lapdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

RobMc59 wrote: »
    You mean his SCOTTISH mother.

And he certainly treated the Scottish people well with his golf course business.

Trump would be correct. Does that carry any weight with you?

A stopped clock is correct twice a day, but still not trustworthy.

:D:D:D 'equal' partners? :D:D:D

Partners the same way Bolivia was a partner of the allies in WW2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Interesting spot on Newsnight about the actual power the UK holds on the world stage. Former adviser for the US state department states here that the UK has long been a medium power in the world and that was only because they were part of the EU. The Brexit decision has changed that for the worse. I particularly like the line "what you think of British strengths are really only thought of as strengths inside Britain."

Partners the same way Bolivia was a partner of the allies in WW2 :D

Or Winston was when he was begging Roosevelt to rescue them in 1940? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Or Winston was when he was begging Roosevelt to rescue them in 1940? :rolleyes:

At least the British knew who they could rely on...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Republican_Army_%E2%80%93_Abwehr_collaboration_in_World_War_II

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

Britain were an enemy to the ira,so whats your point?

• Advertisement

Quick...look over there! :rolleyes:

Quick...look over there! :rolleyes:

Your hatred and loathing of Britain is almost comical

Your hatred and loathing of Britain is almost comical

I never made any secret of my hatred and loathing of what Britain has done and continues to do in pursuit of it's aims.
    I have no hate for Britain and it's people otherwise. Many British people are ashamed of empire days and continued aggression and imperialist pursuits too.

Britain were an enemy to the ira,so whats your point?

I know that and any decent Irish person like yourself would probably have no time for the IRA but some here idolise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Interesting spot on Newsnight about the actual power the UK holds on the world stage. Former adviser for the US state department states here that the UK has long been a medium power in the world and that was only because they were part of the EU. The Brexit decision has changed that for the worse. I particularly like the line "what you think of British strengths are really only thought of as strengths inside Britain."

Strange definition of 'medium power'. Their economy is approx top 8 in the world, they are a nuclear power with a UN security council seat. Their armed forces are not large in numbers but are advanced in tech.
    They are not a 'superpower', and have not been in the first rank of powers since WWII but they are certainly in the next rank.
    It's a pointless remark without knowing rankings of other countries. There must be very few 'medium' powers in the world if UK isn't one of them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know that and any decent Irish person like yourself would probably have no time for the IRA but some here idolise them.

Who here idolises them?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Who here idolises them?

Imo francie does if you're asking

Imo francie does if you're asking

Have you morphed into janfebmar?

I never idolised anyone, much less the IRA. I'm appalled that there was a reason for the IRA to exist and primarily blame the British and partition for what happened in northern Ireland.
    Don't mistake that for idolising.

I never idolised anyone, much less the IRA. I'm appalled that there was a reason for the IRA to exist and primarily blame the British and partition for what happened in northern Ireland.
    Fair enough-I can understand that.

• Advertisement

In the same way fanatical Muslim extremists never idolized Isis or the 9/11 hijackers. They were appalled there was a reason for Al Queida to exist and primarily blame America and the west for happened in the middle East.

Advertisement