Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,934 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's over folks. Sturgeon was pushed out to tacitly surrender.
    There will now follow a quiet little agreement and things will continue as they have.
    The toys(rubber ducks?) are back in the UK pram. Poor Britannia can't even rule their own waves these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

RobMc59 wrote: »
    You're all doomed!!!
    https://youtu.be/ESsVydlq8cM

Come out an fight me ye black and tan! I am not afraid of Rab C Nesbit my da drinks more than him! And he has a job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You're all doomed!!!
    https://youtu.be/ESsVydlq8cM
    Beware the Ladies From Hell, as the Germans used to call them.
    A number of authors state that the regiment was given the nickname "Ladies from Hell" ("Die Damen aus der Hölle") by German troops, allegedly on account of their kilts and fighting qualities

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Personally I hope this can be sorted out amicably as I believe Ireland and Britain should work together to safeguard their joint fishing grounds-if anyone should be told to stop fishing there it should be Denmark and Iceland.
    I'm also surprised Scotland are making such a fuss about this as they may need Ireland's backing over joining the EU in the event of independence-unless there's oil under rockall or something.

The SNP don't really have the vote of Scotland's fishing communities. This is simply an attempt to get them on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The SNP don't really have the vote of Scotland's fishing communities. This is simply an attempt to get them on board.

Well it backfired now!

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »

A number of authors state that the regiment was given the nickname "Ladies from Hell" ("Die Damen aus der Hölle") by German troops, allegedly on account of their kilts and fighting qualities .

It could equally refer to the skirted lady you pick up with the hope of a bit of canoodling, only to find, 'her eyes! her thighs! SURPRISE!'

The first description sounds like the victors version :pac:

I think trade and economics will be the new battlefield now. I don't think the UK will risk upsetting an EU country. There's a lot of bluster there about no-deal Brexit but outside of old Etonians there's not an appetite for that.

Well it backfired now!

I think the Irish government are being the most sensible on this. It's an inhabited rock with no exclusion zone. No offense to any royalists reading this but having the queen plant a flag on a rock hundreds of miles away from the coast of any country doesn't really fly with anyone anymore. Especially when you're no longer a superpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If it's an infographic it has to be true.

Ok wise guy, what’s the distances then?? Jesus Christ some people on boards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So I just measured it, and Rockall is 300km to St Kilda, and 420km to Tory Island (these are the exact points to measure to, being the nearest inhabited parts of each country).

“The uninhabited rocky outcrop lies around 230 nautical miles northwest of Donegal and 240 miles west of Scotland in the North Atlantic.”

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0609/1054357-rockall/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ok wise guy, what’s the distances then?? Jesus Christ some people on boards :mad:

what part of scotland are they measuring it from? the nearest inhabitable part of scotland is St Kilda which is 303Km from Rockall.

steddyeddy wrote: »

The relative intelligent can see that.

For some though, it’s British imperialism brought about by Westminster and using their puppet state in Holyrood

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I blame Mel Gibson ! He gave those Scots Notions !

vicwatson wrote: »
    “The uninhabited rocky outcrop lies around 230 nautical miles northwest of Donegal and 240 miles west of Scotland in the North Atlantic.”

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0609/1054357-rockall/

i'd love to know what part of donegal they measure that from to get 368KM. It is 423KM to Tory Island.

Aegir wrote: »
    The relative intelligent can see that.

While Steddyeddy is correct that this whole Rockall business has much more to do with the SNP need to assuage Scottish fishing communities/domestic politics, it also points to those communities being very naïve to believe that any Brexiteer government is *not* going to sell Scottish fishing rights out for greater British rights to other areas of the EU market.

It will sell Scottish fishermen out, even if they wrap the sell-out in Union Jacks and fine speeches supported by the oligarch-owned, Tory-supporting "free press". Fishing is just not a big enough industry in Britain to be anything more than a bargaining chip. That is the long and the short of this. Not one of the mendacious guttersnipes who constitute the pro-Brexit lobby have the integrity to be honest about this reality of the post-Brexit UK state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

i'd love to know what part of donegal they measure that from to get 368KM. It is 423KM to Tory Island.

Nautical miles.

For some though, it’s British imperialism brought about by Westminster and using their puppet state in Holyrood

Ironically, though - and you're not going to like this at all - this entire Brexit business is highlighting the essentially de facto imperial status of the relationship between Scotland and England in 2019.

In the 2014 Scottish referendum the pro "Remain in the UK" side sold UK membership to the Scots by saying remaining in the UK will ensure Scotland stays part of the EU. The Scots voted to remain in the UK, and then, in 2016, to remain in the EU.

Now, nevertheless, they must do as they're told and leave the EU because the English want to "take back control". Given the Scottish majority vote against Brexit in 2016, there's not much "taking back control" for the Scots - in reality, Brexit has resulted in an overthrow by the majority of the English electorate of the wishes of the majority of the Scottish electorate. As long as the Scots are a perpetual minority in the English-gerrymandered state of the "United Kingdom" the Scots will always be marching to the wishes of the English. Brexit has shown that for as long as Scotland remains in the UK the democratically expressed wishes of the Scots can be, and will be, overthrown by the democratically expressed wishes of the English. "We're better together" indeed.

Are the 2 million conservative Scots, 55% of the electorate, who voted for UK membership/English rule in 2014 now very embarrassed by how naïve they were?

Nautical miles.

It doesnt matter what units you use there is no part of donegal that is closer to rockall than St Kilda in scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Ironically, though - and you're not going to like this at all - this entire Brexit business is highlighting the essentially de facto imperial status of the relationship between Scotland and England in 2019.

In the 2014 Scottish referendum the pro "Remain in the UK" side sold UK membership to the Scots by saying remaining in the UK will ensure Scotland stays part of the EU. The Scots voted to remain in the UK, and then, in 2016, to remain in the EU.

Now, nevertheless, they must do as they're told and leave the EU because the English want to "take back control". Given the Scottish majority vote against Brexit in 2016, there's not much "taking back control" for the Scots - in reality, Brexit has resulted in an overthrow by the majority of the English electorate of the wishes of the majority of the Scottish electorate. As long as the Scots are a perpetual minority in the English-gerrymandered state of the "United Kingdom" the Scots will always be marching to the wishes of the English. Brexit has shown that for as long as Scotland remains in the UK the democratically expressed wishes of the Scots can be, and will be, overthrown by the democratically expressed wishes of the English. "We're better together" indeed.

Are the 2 million conservative Scots, 55% of the electorate, who voted for UK membership/English rule in 2014 now very embarrassed by how naïve they were?

None of that will matter when the Scots open a can of whoopass:)

good man, you never fail to disappoint.

How is the UK gerrymandered?
    Did everyone that voted no in the Scottish referendum a Tory?
    Why is being part of a union where Scotland has 59 out of 650 parliamentary seats worse than being part of a union where it would have 13 out of 751 seats?

• Advertisement

It doesnt matter what units you use there is no part of donegal that is closer to rockall than St Kilda in scotland.

If you measure East to West?

How is the UK gerrymandered?

Seriously? Let's see. Putting the Scots in an English parliament at Westminster where the English are a perpetual majority, for starters. Having a UK-wide vote where there will always be far more English voters voting for English interests than Scottish voters...

Did everyone that voted no in the Scottish referendum a Tory?

Presumably they all didn't support the Tories, but in that 2014 referendum on whether to keep the United Kingdom, they were all certainly Unionists when they voted to keep it.

If you measure East to West?

i really hope this is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oh, I know. I think they've been sneaky with their wording there, 230 nautical miles (425 kilometres) is more than 240 "normal" miles (386 kilometres). They never claimed that Donegal is 368 km from Rockall, just being very liberal with their measurement units for some bizarre reason.

Oh, I know. I think they've been sneaky with their wording there, 230 nautical miles (425 kilometres) is more than 240 "normal" miles (386 kilometres). They never claimed that Donegal is 368 km from Rockall, just being very liberal with their measurement units for some bizarre reason.

i didn't notice that. that is deliberately misleading from RTE.

So i have emailed RTE to ask if that was a deliberate attempt to mislead or did their reporter simply not understand the difference between nautical miles and miles. I await their reply with baited breath.

Seriously? Let's see. Putting the Scots in an English parliament at Westminster where the English are a perpetual majority, for starters. Having a UK-wide vote where there will always be far more English voters voting for English interests than Scottish voters...

there hasn't been an English parliament 1707.

If you are referring to the Parliament of the United Kingdom, where Scotland is over represented and is able to vote on matters that only affect England and over turn many of the laws they aren't happy with, then how is that gerrymandering?
    Presumably they all didn't support the Tories, but in that 2014 referendum on whether to keep the United Kingdom, they were all certainly Unionists when they voted to keep it.

Considering Labour and the Lib Dems were also campaigning heavily for a no vote, I would say that your "Presumption" is actually a "Certainty".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

RTE must be using Irish miles for measuring from Donegal and imperial miles for Scotland...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_measure

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    RTE must be using Irish miles for measuring from Donegal and imperial miles for Scotland...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_measure

Understandable considering - the relative measure for each country. Makes sense.

• Advertisement

Understandable considering - the relative measure for each country. Makes sense.

we haven't used irish miles for 200 years.

Advertisement