Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Grand,so i,ll stick a plague on a big mansion in dalkey and that means it will be mine,happy days

Maybe Leo could go out and be the first Irishman to land on the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

janfebmar wrote: »
    Only if it was yours to begin with and on your property since 1810. Rockall is closer to Scotland than to Ireland or Iceland. Every other piece of land at that latitude in the world belongs to some country. It is land.

No, I saw an info graphic today that showed Rockall/Scotland 460 Kms and Rockall/Donegal 430 Kms

• Registered Users Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

vicwatson wrote: »
    No, I saw an info graphic today that showed Rockall/Scotland 460 Kms and Rockall/Donegal 430 Kms

If it's an infographic it has to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,938 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

recedite wrote: »
    That would be a foolish assumption.
    What election BTW? Their next parliamentary election is not due until 2021.

The UK has been in election mode for sometime. The SNP are anxious to claw back votes that have gone to the Tories.

It's all calmed down today. Sturgeon's language today was very much the language of a climb down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

Only if it was yours to begin with and on your property since 1810. Rockall is closer to Scotland than to Ireland or Iceland. Every other piece of land at that latitude in the world belongs to some country. It is land.

Ok so by that logic the malvinas are closer to argentina than the uk so......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

There are no natives on rockall to be "civilised" so why would the uk want it anyway.i thought their usual modus operandi was not to steal land but to take it just to civilise the natives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The UK has been in election mode for sometime. The SNP are anxious to claw back votes that have gone to the Tories.
    The only election I know about is the one for a new leader within the Tory party.

From wiki, and lots of other websites: Its approximate distances of Rockall from the closest large islands are:

301.3 kilometres (187.2 miles; 162.7 nautical miles) west of Scotland;
    The nearest permanently inhabited place is North Uist, an island in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland, 370 kilometres (230 mi) to the east.

423.2 kilometres (263.0 miles; 228.5 nautical miles) northwest of Ireland;

and 700 kilometres (430 mi) south of Iceland.

By that logic the Canaries are closer to Morocco than Spain so....

The only election I know about is the one for a new leader within the Tory party.

You would want to have slept through the last 2 years to have missed the talk of a GE.
    Anything is possible in the UK chaos atm.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/11/general-election-brexit-parliament

• Advertisement

By that logic the Canaries are closer to Morocco than Spain so....

So what????

So what????
    Do pay attention Francis. I was replying to the point:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I see yer Ma was on the Buckfast again.

https://twitter.com/conalrs/status/1138024839317508097

You would want to have slept through the last 2 years to have missed the talk of a GE.
    Just as well I wasn't holding my breath. Will it be long now?

I see yer Ma was on the Buckfast again.

https://twitter.com/conalrs/status/1138024839317508097

She is not my Ma. Fear not, Francie has plans to re-educate her though once the reunification comes, won't be long now.:D

Do pay attention Francis. I was replying to the point:

Yes. And the question was ; So what does it mean that the Canaries is closer to Morocco than Spain?

So I just measured it, and Rockall is 300km to St Kilda, and 420km to Tory Island (these are the exact points to measure to, being the nearest inhabited parts of each country).

Just as well I wasn't holding my breath. Will it be long now?

You do know what it means to be on an 'election footing'?

Around these parts we knew one was possible when a FG TD smiled or spoke to you.
    They have all been on election footing in the UK.

Yes. And the question was ; So what does it mean that the Canaries is closer to Morocco than Spain?

It means the Canaries are Spanish and the Falklands are British.

droidman123 had said:
    so I replied to that. Do pay attention in the back of the class Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So I just measured it, and Rockall is 300km to St Kilda, and 420km to Tory Island (these are the exact points to measure to, being the nearest inhabited parts of each country).

It's an uninhabited rock. No one has ownership.

• Advertisement

It means the Canaries are Spanish and the Falklands are British.

droidman123 had said:
    so I replied to that. Do pay attention in the back of the class Francis.

Somebody just put their foot in their mouth yet again...:D:D:D

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It's an uninhabited rock. No one has ownership.

Any other uninhabited rocks at that or these latitudes in the world are owned.

What about when it was inhabited by Maclean and others? Who owned it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Any other uninhabited rocks at that or these latitudes in the world are owned.

What about when it was inhabited by Maclean and others? Who owned it then?
    You should move there permanently to claim ownership for Britain.

Unfortunately there's no internet so, unless you train the periwinkles to carry messages, we will have to do without your complete lack of knowledge on any subject whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The only way the issue can be resolved is by war.

Plus it would be entertaining to have a funny little war in the North Atlantic between Scotland and Ireland over a rock :)

If it's decided by a shooting war Scotland will win, but if it's decided by insults,snide remarks and chest thumping Ireland will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

archer22 wrote: »

Plus it would be entertaining to have a funny little war in the North Atlantic between Scotland and Ireland over a rock :)

If it's decided by a shooting war Scotland will win, but if it's decided by insults,snide remarks and chest thumping Ireland will win.

LET'S ROLL!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This has nothing to do with Fishing or a stupid rock.

Its a declaration of war on the negotiations.

The British are sly and the Scottish are biddable to them.

They have no shame.

They have threatened to board Irish ships by force.

That isn't something you do to a neighbour its something you do to an enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,947 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This has nothing to do with Fishing or a stupid rock.
    Its a declaration of war on the negotiations.
    The British are sly and the Scottish are biddable to them.
    They have no shame.
    They have threatened to board Irish ships by force.
    That isn't something you do to a neighbour its something you do to an enemy.

I guess we got our retaliation in first then when we detained two Northern Irish vessels?

https://www.thejournal.ie/dup-on-the-attack-over-heavy-handed-tactics-after-naval-service-detains-two-uk-registered-trawlers-4518726-Mar2019/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

archer22 wrote: »

Only problem is they have the fourth most powerful navy in the world. It used to be the most powerful 60 or 70 years ago but at least it's heading in the right direction now, according to Francis. Could we just keep them in the EU for another few decades and then go to war?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not to mention when we f***** up the Brexit negotiation on them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

LET'S ROLL!

:cool:

You're all doomed!!!
    https://youtu.be/ESsVydlq8cM

Advertisement