Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

With due respect that's meaningless. Have you seen Rockall (clue is in the name). If the Icelandic, Faroe and Irish put some fertiliser together this would go away overnight.
    I've not read the whole thread, what has skellig got to do with it. While it did sustain a population at a point in time it'd be hard to take seriously as an island even if it's hundreds of times the size of Rockhall.
    So just to clarify, what's your basis for saying an uninhabited island can't have a territorial limit measured off it?
    Or are you saying it can, but a rock can't?
    In which case, you need to explain how you differentiate between a rock and an island. That's why I mentioned Skellig. Just for comparison. Its an example of a rock that is also a small island, is not inhabited, but it is normally considered part of our national territory.

recedite wrote: »
    So just to clarify, what's your basis for saying an uninhabited island can't have a territorial limit measured off it?
    Or are you saying it can, but a rock can't?
    In which case, you need to explain how you differentiate between a rock and an island. That's why I mentioned Skellig. Just for comparison. Its an example of a rock that is also a small island, is not inhabited, but it is normally considered part of our national territory.

One that can be inhabited and self sustainable. Skellig was that at one time, and possibly could again. Not that I'd live there.

Open to interpretation...
    Indeed, it always better to win the war, than to win a battle.

Indeed, it always better to win the war, than to win a battle.

Or be on the same side as the Ruskies :pac:

One that can be inhabited and self sustainable. Skellig was that at one time, and possibly could again. Not that I'd live there.
    But when I search your UN link for "inhabited" nothing comes up.
    Nothing for rock either, but reef is mentioned.

• Advertisement

But when I search your UN link for "inhabited" nothing comes up.
    Nothing for rock either, but reef is mentioned.

Article121

Regime of islands

1. An island is a naturally formed area of land, surrounded by water, which is above water at high tide.

2. Except as provided for in paragraph 3, the territorial sea, the contiguous zone, the exclusive economic zone and the continental shelf of an island are determined in accordance with the provisions of this Convention applicable to other land territory.

3. Rocks which cannot sustain human habitation or economic life of their own shall have no exclusive economic zone or continental shelf.

So it seems Rocks are entitled to the 12 mile limit. :) But, where Ireland come into this is that the rock is irrelevant and does not recognise the UK sovereignty of Rockhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Cod Wars ... Iceland Vs Britain

https://youtu.be/hv0Kdd3Mqv8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Phoney war is over. The Irish Navy swinging into action.

D8t-Bd-MLXUAIisv-I.jpg

Don't mention it swinging or it may give him an idea about a claim. The taxpayer paying the army deafness compo thing a few decades ago was bad enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

And all the help the FCA gave them with Braveheart awhile back .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Given the difficulty we are having with the Rock of Gibraltar... the Scots probably dont need to lose any sleep over Rockall.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

So it seems Rocks are entitled to the 12 mile limit. :) But, where Ireland come into this is that the rock is irrelevant and does not recognise the UK sovereignty of Rockhall.
    That is the situation alright. But if Rockall had been in our EEZ, you can be sure the Irish interpretation would be very different ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

It will be interesting to see if the Scottish send a warship and arrest fishermen as Ireland did earlier this year in Dundalk bay.
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17697474.irish-fishermen-defiant-after-scottish-government-arrest-warning-in-rockall-dispute/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RobMc59 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if the Scottish send a warship and arrest fishermen as Ireland did earlier this year in Dundalk bay.
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17697474.irish-fishermen-defiant-after-scottish-government-arrest-warning-in-rockall-dispute/

scotland do not have any warships under their control.

scotland do not have any warships under their control.

Yet....,

Aegir wrote: »
    Yet....,

as long as they are part of the UK they won't.

Yet....,

If you look for Rockall on google maps there is what looks like a royal marines sea-king helicopter in the picture,although it was taken a couple of years ago.

If you look for Rockall on google maps there is what looks like a royal marines sea-king helicopter in the picture,although it was taken a couple of years ago.

that was probably when the SAS nutter tried to live on and had to be rescued.

RTÉ News: Scottish minister warns Irish vessels fishing around Rockall could be boarded

The Irish Times: 'Scotland risks antagonising Brussels with Rockall row -Irish Government is right to respond calmly but firmly to Scotland’s unexpected ultimatum'

Facing mounting international pressure, Scotland has decided to send one of its ships, the HMS Cromwell, to Rockall to extirpate the Irish from the area. Expect a pitstop in Drogheda along the way.

large_000000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Of all the names for the ship sent after Irish people.......

that was probably when the SAS nutter tried to live on and had to be rescued.

He did not just try to live on it, he did live on it from May 1985 to July 1985. When he left he left by boat, as was the plan. He set a record for living on it at the time.

• Advertisement

Facing mounting international pressure, Scotland has decided to send one of its ships, the HMS Cromwell, to Rockall to extirpate the Irish from the area. Expect a pitstop in Drogheda along the way.

large_000000.jpg

Very witty.

I bet you spent ages looking for HMS Black and HMS Tan.

janfebmar wrote: »
    He did not just try to live on it, he did live on it from May 1985 to July 1985. When he left he left by boat, as was the plan. He set a record for living on it at the time.

you're right. i was thinking of the attempt a couple of years ago. that was cut short though they still beat mccleans record.

Very witty.

thought it was quite funny myself. took me a second or two to realise it was a ww2 ship so long scrapped.

you're right. i was thinking of the attempt a couple of years ago. that was cut short though they still beat mccleans record.

He also was the first person to row the Atlantic from west to east. It must take a special type of person to want to do that, or stay camped on Rockwall for a few months.

I had a salesman call to my house last night trying to sell me a set of encyclopedia and I couldn't head off to invade Scotland Rockhall.

Anybody else go?

Nice little video in that link showing the various shallow reefs in the vicinity.
    There must be loads of similar ones in the southern bank within the Irish EEZ, where we could easily build Rockall II.
    A few tonnes of concrete and some old rubble... there ya go, job done.

Our very own private fishing grounds with own 12 mile territorial limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,921 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    He also was the first person to row the Atlantic from west to east. It must take a special type of person to want to do that, or stay camped on Rockwall for a few months.

Why didn't he pick a rock off America when he got there and declare it part of Britain?

Nice little video in that link showing the various shallow reefs in the vicinity.
    There must be loads of similar ones in the southern bank within the Irish EEZ, where we could easily build Rockall II.
    A few tonnes of concrete and some old rubble... there ya go, job done.

Our very own private fishing grounds with own 12 mile territorial limit.

Personally I hope this can be sorted out amicably as I believe Ireland and Britain should work together to safeguard their joint fishing grounds-if anyone should be told to stop fishing there it should be Denmark and Iceland.
    I'm also surprised Scotland are making such a fuss about this as they may need Ireland's backing over joining the EU in the event of independence-unless there's oil under rockall or something.

Very witty.

hehe. I actually just sat there and said to myself "I bet you the brazen fúckers named a ship after Cromwell!". A second of googling "HMS Cromwell" and sure enough they didn't disappoint. It seems Winston "Let's gas the Kurds" Churchill proposed it - at least twice - to the English king who said 'No' both times because apparently Cromwell was a bit of a buachaill dána to some profligate ancestor of his.

Breaking News: 'Rockall: Scotland Launch Tennents Airstrike On Ireland'

• Advertisement

Why didn't he pick a rock off America when he got there and declare it part of Britain?

Because Rockall is closer to Scottish territory than it is to Irish or American territory, and because some other British lads in the early 1800's managed to land there and declared it for Britain. He just decided to do a spot of camping there from May to July one year, jolly quiet spot to do so if you ask me old chap. Those dastardly British were always a bit eccentric, what what? I do not think anyone from Ireland even spent one night on it, we have too much sense, sure what would be the pleasure in it when there is no pub on it?

Advertisement