Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    snow balls gathering sh!t as it rolls.......

Still better than Fianna Failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They're good enough for Fine Gael anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I love the way that sketch at the Courtmacsharry festival yesterday included Joespha Madigan complete with a crutch and compo file :D

EBM_ofvWkAAhcO_-768x1024.jpg

Meanwhile at Dundrum Shopping Centre they have put a sign up on their swing telling people to "Swing At Your Own Risk"

EBThj0jXkAETBSA?format=jpg&name=small
    EBThj0dXYAIlAGm?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

With the current mess about everything
    Hospital
    Housing
    Insurance
    Brexit

I can't see how anyone can do any worse.....greens, Labour or FF

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    With the current mess about everything
    Hospital
    Housing
    Insurance
    Brexit

I can't see how anyone can do any worse.....greens, Labour or FF

I presume Hospital also means the worsening disaster that is the HSE. Both Leo and Simon achieved nothing there.

Lets not forget Rural Broadband, Irish Water and the Cervical Check mess that continues to unfold. They seem to making a dogs dinner out of Brexit in order to look statesmanlike.

Along with Labour these clowns in FG (who I voted for) had a Government comprising 113 TDs in 2011. Think about that for a minute. A massive majority and no credible opposition. Think about what they could have achieved. And yet they managed to make things worse. They got lucky on the economy after following FF/IMF policy but we still got saddled with 64bn of private banking debt. It really saddens me. New Politics me arse.

Not another red cent....Frankfurts Way or Labour's Way....guff

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I love the way that sketch at the Courtmacsharry festival yesterday included Joespha Madigan complete with a crutch and compo file :D

EBM_ofvWkAAhcO_-768x1024.jpg

I wonder is the guy wearing the white shirt and green tie supposed to represent Leo Varadkar?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I wonder is the guy wearing the white shirt and green tie supposed to represent Leo Varadkar?

I thought he was Alan Farrell.. Holding his back.

holyhead wrote: »
    She doesn't need to be punished by anybody she sadly is well able to inflict the ultimate damage on herself.

No. The case needs to be investigated by the Gardaí, and prosecuted if needs be.

Sick of people not being prosecuted because they're in the public eye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Suckit wrote: »
    I thought he was Alan Farrell.. Holding his back.

Yes. You`re right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

No. The case needs to be investigated by the Gardaí, and prosecuted if needs be.

Sick of people not being prosecuted because they're in the public eye.

It's Ireland she won't be prosecuted. She'll be deemed to have suffered public humiliation etc....

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Compassion in this case is just being used as a substitute for Build a bridge and get over it

Move along. Poor Maria has suffered enough

Do you think her attitude to fraudulent claims represent the Irish people as a whole? If not, she needs to lose her job ASAP. If so, we've got bigger problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No def not

No question she has gotten away with it by just losing a chairpersonship of a dail committee

Her father dying is irrelevant to this story for me but has been used by Leo to justify his decision and others like Alison o'Connor to try to say Bailey has suffered enough and it's time to move on

Lot more to come out in this story for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does anyone know what her own constituency thinks of this? I saw some interviews of locals and the outrage was very low compared to what I've heard in other parts of the country. They may have been selective interviews.
    It's not unusual for locals to rally behind their own TD when they are under pressure, it happens all the time in Ireland.
    Can we expect more of the same when the next GE rolls around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Compassion in this case is just being used as a substitute for Build a bridge and get over it

Move along. Poor Maria has suffered enough

Do you think her attitude to fraudulent claims represent the Irish people as a whole? If not, she needs to lose her job ASAP. If so, we've got bigger problems.

Yes I do. We have bigger problems. Ethics are not strong in the corridors of Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

walshb wrote: »
    No. It’s a little more detailed than that. If

Hint, intentional deception needs to be present. If so, yes...a lie.

Getting something wrong does not necessarily make something a lie, or someone a liar. Nor does changing your version of an event or story.

Though at no point did she mention / infer that she was having a difficulty recollecting the incident and subsequent timeline of events. She also said she had a bottle in one hand and in the very next she mentions also having a bottle of wine.

From Cambridge:
    lie verb
    "to say or write something that is not true in order to deceive someone"

deceive verb
    "to persuade someone that something false is the truth, or to keep the truth hidden from someone for your own advantage"

Its painfully clear that Bailey has has been telling lies from the outset.

* She claimed serious injuries but sought plasters(to get into incident book) instead of ambulance - to her advantage
    * She claimed she couldnt run for 3 months but was running at least 3 weeks after - to her advantage
    * She said on SOR she was only claiming for €6k to €7k for injuries - to her advantage (conflicts with letter by her / on her behalf seeking €20k and the court proceedings were issued on)

There must be some serious discrepancies told to Leo for him to mention it, purely for self preservation should they make it to the publuc domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

walshb wrote: »
    No. It’s a little more detailed than that. If

Hint, intentional deception needs to be present. If so, yes...a lie.

Getting something wrong does not necessarily make something a lie, or someone a liar. Nor does changing your version of an event or story. Changing a version of a story does not automatically make you a liar. There needs to be an intentional meaning to deceive.

Oh, before anyone jumps in. I am not talking about MB here. Just lie/liar in a general sense.

when you say you only asked for 7000 and you actually asked for 20,000 that is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kingstevii

when you say you only asked for 7000 and you actually asked for 20,000 that is a lie.

She admitted having health insurance. Why was she looking for 6 or 7k?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

kingstevii wrote: »

greed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

tuxy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what her own constituency thinks of this? I saw some interviews of locals and the outrage was very low compared to what I've heard in other parts of the country. They may have been selective interviews.
    It's not unusual for locals to rally behind their own TD when they are under pressure, it happens all the time in Ireland.
    Can we expect more of the same when the next GE rolls around?

Way back at the start they had an interview with an older lady and shewas "ahh she has learned her lesson"

They also asked a local business owner who if I remember correctly warned her not to show up at her door next election.

It would be interesting if they actually interviewed a bit of a age profile. I would expect the older voter will just go with Bailey because "he fixed the road" attitude. I voted for her father blah blah blah

Younger people I would expect have long dropped that attitude...

Even in my estate which is a lot of older people, hopefully moving on soon, they where sending emails round last night about the wonderful local politician because he stuck up a sign at the end of our road to warn traffic to slow down....it still is a death trap but sure we have a sign now:P

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She wasn't. She was looking for 20k.
    She just said 6 or 7k to make it sound less greedy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Way back at the start they had an interview with an older lady and shewas "ahh she has learned her lesson"

They also asked a local business owner who if I remember correctly warned her not to show up at her door next election.

It would be interesting if they actually interviewed a bit of a age profile. I would expect the older voter will just go with Bailey because "he fixed the road" attitude. I voted for her father blah blah blah

Younger people I would expect have long dropped that attitude...

Even in my estate which is a lot of older people, hopefully moving on soon, they where sending emails round last night about the wonderful local politician because he stuck up a sign at the end of our road to warn traffic to slow down....it still is a death trap but sure we have a sign now:P

I just had a look at the last election results she got in on the 7th count which means she relied heavily on transfers. I would think transfers are the most likely votes to disappear on her along with FG voters giving their first preference to the other FG candidate. I’d say she would really struggle to get over the line again as it wouldn’t take much for her to not reach the quota.
    They had 2 candidates in 16 and Sean Barrett returned automatically. Even the second candidate might be tarnished with the FG brush by transfers and really struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

salmocab wrote: »
    I just had a look at the last election results she got in on the 7th count which means she relied heavily on transfers. I would think transfers are the most likely votes to disappear on her along with FG voters giving their first preference to the other FG candidate. I’d say she would really struggle to get over the line again as it wouldn’t take much for her to not reach the quota.
    They had 2 candidates in 16 and Sean Barrett returned automatically. Even the second candidate might be tarnished with the FG brush by transfers and really struggle.
    I think if they drop Bailey or she steps aside there's a reasonable chance they will be competitive. They had a vote share of about 36% in 2016 and 2011, which will probably fall in a real 4 seater contest but even if that falls away to the low 20s, a second seat is possible. Hanafin is probably the only one definitely competing for a seat, which she should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The real question is how she could rack up 7k in physiotherapy costs.
    Unless she was admitted to hospital , these costs seem excessive - to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think if they drop Bailey or she steps aside there's a reasonable chance they will be competitive. They had a vote share of about 36% in 2016 and 2011, which will probably fall in a real 4 seater contest but even if that falls away to the low 20s, a second seat is possible. Hanafin is probably the only one definitely competing for a seat, which she should get.

I think she is too right wing catholic for the DL electorate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Chiparus wrote: »
    Unless she was admitted to hospital , these costs seem excessive - to say the least.

I think we all know she didn’t rack up anything of the sort. She needed a figure large enough when she was talking nonsense on SOR to justify court and that’s the figure she landed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

She thought she was above the general public and now the general public are reminding her daily that she's one of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kingstevii

Chiparus wrote: »

I'd love to see the receipts for said costs..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yeah I am curious about that. I have received many sports injuries during a 20 year failed hurling/football career and I have spent a small fortune on X-rays, MRI, drugs and many many physio sessions. Having VHI I would have really struggled to spend 7000 Euro (that's 140 physio sessions and you get 50% back for a set number of sessions). Never mind 20,000 Euro.

Given she could run a decent time in a 10k only 3 weeks later, what the hell was she spending all this money on? I think it's more lies and greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd actually worry about twitter pile ons and the amount of ridicule she is getting from a mental health perspective.

Lol, she is so full of her own self importance and entitlement it wont bother.

Its ****ing disgusting using mental health as a reason to stop the deserved ridicule she is getting, she is an adult who is an elected TD that claimed she cannot use a swing and tried extort a business / insurance company.

She has brought this whole episode to her own door with her lying, coniving, self entitled, self important attitude, she could resign if its too much for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Given she could run a decent time in a 10k only 3 weeks later, what the hell was she spending all this money on? I think it's more lies and greed.

Yes but it took her one minute longer than her personal best, how do you explain that? She even told Sean her time was poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement