Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    Surely this is to do with claims that did go through rather than one that didn't? An insurance company didn't pull out because of someone that almost sued them.

You're attributing something to Maria Bailey here that definitely isn't her fault. You're saying she should get fired because of a bunch of other claims other people made.

It's not logical.

just because her little attempt at fraud was unsuccessful does not make it any more acceptable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Surely this is to do with claims that did go through rather than one that didn't? An insurance company didn't pull out because of someone that almost sued them.

You're attributing something to Maria Bailey here that definitely isn't her fault. You're saying she should get fired because of a bunch of other claims other people made.

It's not logical.
    Insurer exits market due to ongoing claims culture.
    Politician who should be amending laws to discourage bogus claims is found to have lodged a bogus claim.
    Of course it is related.
    Oh i'm sure the hotel wont release it. they would be crazy to. that doesn't mean somebody else hasn't got hold of a copy.
    That would be GDPR breach and Bailey could potentially sue the data controller (i.e. the hotel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

just because her little attempt at fraud was unsuccessful does not make it any more acceptable.

It doesn't make it more acceptable, but she's only responsible for what she did - not what a bunch of other people who committed similar actions did.

Why would she be held responsible for every single hotel compensation claim rather than just her own?

Your reading comprehension is not very good- you have to read the *whole* sentence. I said we should show the women compassion *because* her dad died. The compassion is due to the fact that she has recently lost a close family member, not because she’s a woman. If she were a man, I would say show him some compassion as he’s lost his dad.

I don’t know how to break that down any more simply for you, but I suspect I don’t need to because you are deliberately choosing to misunderstand my words.

Surely you would have said “show HER some compassion” seeing as you’ve stated you wouldn’t say “show the man some compassion”

The way you worded it does stand out, Kiki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

Surely you would have said “show HER some compassion” seeing as you’ve stated you wouldn’t say “show the man some compassion”

The way you worded it does stand out, Kiki.

You're choosing to look at that one word in isolation rather than the sentence as a whole to infer what you want to infer. If you read the whole sentence, it's clear that the compassion is for having lost her father, not that you should feel sorry for her because she's a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It doesn't make it more acceptable, but she's only responsible for what she did - not what a bunch of other people who committed similar actions did.

Why would she be held responsible for every single hotel compensation claim rather than just her own?

Is she? as far as i can see she is being held responsible for her own part in the crisis in the insurance industry. and rightly so. the fact that she failed in her attempt at fraud is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

You're right that she shouldn't be held responsible for all such claims, but she's a political lightning rod here. The fact that she attempted to make what many clearly to see to a bogus claim while being a TD shows that she's part of the problem, not the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pretty serious stuff
    AIG said that it will renew cover for its existing customers in the hotel sector this year, but that it will not in 2020.

Increase In Claims Costs
    The Sunday Times quotes the company as saying, "Due to the increase in claims costs in liability insurance, AIG has suffered significant losses resulting in changes to our risk appetite."

AIG added, "We will keep the situation under review and remain hopeful that ongoing efforts to reduce claims costs will enable us to widen our appetite to a broader number of hotels in the future."
    https://www.hospitalityireland.com/hotel/aig-stop-proving-78604

This is all part of the compo culture in Ireland and within Fine Gael. It is crystal clear now that Leo is okay with insurance fraud and ambulance chasing solicitors which results in insurance companies leaving the market and small businesses getting hit with job losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry but she is responsible.

This is the age old attitude of "sure everyone is at it why don't I...."

She is a public representative and FG will harp on about been a party of ethics and showing the public what they should do.

This case would still be ongoing only she got caught, even after she got caught she didn't cancel the case till the s**t hit the fan. It was running for at least over a week before she pulled out.

Then went on radio to tell everyone she had a legitimate claim and she only wanted 6-7k. All of these are lies.

So no she isn't responsible for every claim but she is setting a precedent. Anyone thinking of sticking in a dodgy claim now can use her as a reference case, she got caught but in reality f**k all was done and she walked away without any issue. No legal fee etc.....

The government should nail her to the wall. She should pay full legal fees for the Dean Hotel. She should be fired on the spot for bringing the party into disrepute and if she wants to run again next time, let her off....thats her decision

Also the solicitors stuck in the middle of this, they should be put under review for submitting false cases to the courts.....

And while FG are at it, release the report.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I agree that she should be held to a higher standard. I think it's a bit mad that she didn't lose the whip at the very least.

I would have no problem with people writing a letter to the Chair of FG in Dun Laoghaire, or even the office of the Taoiseach, or Maria Bailey's own office expressing the view that she should step down. Write to your own TDs and tell them you want a motion of no confidence in her. That's all perfectly reasonable.

I try never to post anything here that I couldn't stand by if someone put my name to it. I think we should all do the same.

An unlimited amount of anonymous online vitriol however, I'm not on board with. Again, as I said above, aside from anything else, it serves no one.

But it does. These people's careers flourish or flounder at the behest of the public. Their decisions are judged, who they are as people is judged. That's their position. People like her and right wing youth leader Herr Foley-Walsh need to know some behaviour isn't acceptable and outside of elections, people will discuss such things, now we have social media platforms to do so. Also FG seem pretty savvy in that regard having party members scanning and adding to the discourse on social media.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Should you show a woman some compassion because her dad died? I think so.

How would you feel if she slit her wrists over it and died too? It’s not so long since Shane McEntee killed himself over constituency pressures.

How long does that compassion have to last? Does she get a free pass for life because her father died? Everyone’s parents die should no one be held to account for things now?
    Her father dying is irrelevant to this, she shouldn’t suffer a different outcome because her father died.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My father died during a project i was working on and I was told anything that surfaced while i was out was ok for compassionate reasons....but once back i was accountable again!

Should you show a woman some compassion because her dad died? I think so.

Are we all in primary school or something?

I work for a living, if someone dies then you get time off(maybe 2-3 days depending on relative)....believe me once I walk back in the door that is it done with. I am expected to work as I would have before......

Life is tough, get on with it

How would you feel if she slit her wrists over it and died too? It’s not so long since Shane McEntee killed himself over constituency pressures.

To be honest that is an awful thing to post on a forum.....disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

salmocab wrote: »
    How long does that compassion have to last?

Me personally: Try to always have compassion. So, a lifetime I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Compassion in this case is just being used as a substitute for Build a bridge and get over it

Move along. Poor Maria has suffered enough

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Compassion in this case is just being used as a substitute for Build a bridge and get over it

Move along. Poor Maria has suffered enough
    No. This should not be anything to do with her level of suffering or us showing compassion.
    It is unfortunate that she lost her father but his death is irrelevant to the discussion.
    She is simply not fit to be a TD, no ifs or buts. She should not still be a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

100% correct

His death has absolutely nothing to do with Swing gate a part from being used as an excuse for not punishing her more / move along people nothing more to see here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The SOR interview really exposed her view of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Just shows how low FG will go to make this mess go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

walshb wrote: »
    Me personally: Try to always have compassion. So, a lifetime I guess...

So to take what the poster was saying to it’s logical conclusion we should just move on from what she was trying to do over several years because her father died recently?
    She shouldn’t get a free ride for any of this because her father died as I’ve said it’s just irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Floppybits

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Just shows how low FG will go to make this mess go away.

Standard operating procedure for FG. I remember Regina Doherty making an outrageous statement about one of the atrocities in the North on LMFM when involved in a debate on the station with Gerry Adams in the run up to the 2011 (I think) General election. The public turned on her for the statement, low and behold next thing ya know poor Regina claimed she was getting death threats and was reporting it to the Gardai and nothing else was ever heard again. There are few other examples of this sort of carry on from FG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I asked this question here weeks ago , but it still blows my mind. How are the useless guards , not investigating a blatant case of attempted fraud ?!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I asked this question here weeks ago , but it still blows my mind. How are the useless guards , not investigating a blatant case of attempted fraud ?!

Too hard to convict.....

But now if it was you or me and we sued Maria Bailey you can be sure we would be standing in court no matter how flimsy the evidence was

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The story is already over.

She dropped the claim, she’s not going to face any criminal charges, Varadkar demoted her. Whenever the next election is called my guess is she won’t be selected, she’ll run as an independent, and she’ll probably be re-elected.

You can spend another six months on here saying “well I think it’s a disgrace” if you want to, the story has run it’s course.
    How many times have we been told that the story is already over, only to have a new leak?
    Also, as long as people are still talking about it, it's not over. And it won't be for a long time.
    If she runs as independent, that is up to the people of Dún Laoghaire to vote her in, her display of greed and arrogance was enough to ensure she wouldn't get my vote. Not sure why Dún Laoghaire would want her either.

"The story has run it's course"

https://entertainment.ie/trending/cork-wins-best-fancy-dress-2019-swing-gate-412510/

https://twitter.com/Gwhizz365/status/1158139143412748288

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Suckit wrote: »
    How many times have we been told that the story is already over, only to have a new leak?
    Also, as long as people are still talking about it, it's not over. And it won't be for a long time.
    If she runs as independent, that is up to the people of Dún Laoghaire to vote her in, her display of greed and arrogance was enough to ensure she wouldn't get my vote. Not sure why Dún Laoghaire would want her either.

"The story has run it's course"

https://entertainment.ie/trending/cork-wins-best-fancy-dress-2019-swing-gate-412510/

https://twitter.com/Gwhizz365/status/1158139143412748288

This tweet sums it up, not much more to be said really.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PieceofPi55/status/1158439005165367298

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Her father's death is relevant to her mental health and wellbeing. Losing a parent is a landmark moment in a person's life especially if they are close to them as she seems to have been. At the same time as losing her father she is subject to nationwide lampooning. It all feeds into the mix of a person's emotional well being.

As an adult she is of course responsible for her words, choices and actions.

1. She took at best a flimsy case against a hotel only aborting when asked to do so by her party.
    2. She did an interview with Sean O'Rourke which would make Padraig Flynn look like a consummate media performer.
    3. She showed indifference to the public opinion of what she did.
    4. She failed to take proactive steps to acknowledge her claim was nonsense and show contrition.

She has mucked up on every concievable level. Yes she has brought mental anguish on the owners of the hotel and all for nothing. Indeed she should be made to pay them the expected payout she thought she'd get as a tangible proof of regret for taking a nonsense claim against them.

At the end of the day she is a human being flawed like the rest of us.
    Her only noble way out of this is to

1. not run for public office in any capacity in the future,
    2. publicly acknowledge that her case was a nonsense,
    3. pay distress money to the hotel,
    4. fade away into the background,

She doesn't need to be punished by anybody she sadly is well able to inflict the ultimate damage on herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

boombang wrote: »
    Regarding some posts regarding Maria Bailey, online ridicule and her mental health.

I think if you're a public representative you should expect public attention. If you can't stand the ridicule you've brought upon yourself, then you should resign and do something else. End of story.

I brought up the mental health and sorry I did as it is a topic very close to my heart. I have been critical of Maria Bailey and her actions from the outset and voiced my criticisms through all the right channels.

Saying that, I think most of the commentary here is bang on the money and not nasty. It's justified. I was moreso referring to twitter where people can post some absolutely horrendous stuff with little moderation.

She needs to resign ASAP. Livliehoods are being ruined all over the country and its all down to FG ineptitude. They could do something about it and choose not to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

To be honest I think this story has moved to Madigan now. She has so many questions to answer. Her account will be fascinating. Unfortunately she has the yellow jersey in the hide-and-seek world cup so is not available for comment. I am sure the press will find her eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Saying that, I think most of the commentary here is bang on the money and not nasty. It's justified. I was moreso referring to twitter where people can post some absolutely horrendous stuff with little moderation.

Very important it stays bang on the money and doesn't veer into that kind of territory.

Nothing more FG media handlers would like right now then for somone to voice something that should be left unsaid (remember Monica Leech) and use it as an excuse to circle the wagons around Maria Bailey.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement