Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Sorry, but I have to go back to this.

Exaggerating a claim is fraudulent.

I personally wouldn't be happy if such a high profile case like this isn't investigated by the Gardaí.

If we are to start changing the culture, we have to really lean on the high profile cases, or else we're all as guilty of it.

The problem though is that nobody can prove that the claim was fraudulent.  Not 100%.  You can suspect it was fraudulent but many of the inconsistencies in Bailey's storey could be argued away in court as mistakes and not lies.  I'm not standing up for her by the way.  I think she should be shown the door pronto.

How can the Gardaí prove the claim was fraudulent?  

She did fall off the swing, that's not in question so what can the Gardaí do there?  

She'll have doctors reports to show she was injured.  Doctors are experts in this area, not Gardaí.  The Gardaí can suspect she is exaggerating her injuries but they won't be able to go against the word of a doctor.

She'll say the inconsistencies in the Affidavit were mistakes and not lies.  How can the Gardaí prove anything there? Oops, I meant to type three weeks instead of three months.  I was stressed after the injury and mixed up my dates etc.  Easy enough thing to argue away.

Again, not standing up for her but it's next to impossible to prove she was lying or that her claim was fraudulent.  

Even if the CCTV shows that she fell scuttered from the swing because of her own actions, that still doesn't mean that the claim is fraudulent.

The Guards job is to gather all the evidence and put it to the court,she gets a chance to put her defence and a jury of her peers then get to decide if her "claim" was an attempted fraud or not. At least that's what should happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Guards job is to gather all the evidence and put it to the court, a jury of her peers then get to decide if her "claim" was an attempted fraud or not. At least that's what should happen.

The Gardaí need to have enough evidence to go to the DPP. The DPP then examines the evidence and decides if there is enough evidence to likely achieve a successful prosecution.

The Gardaí can't be going to court with 'flimsy as fcuk' evidence and it's unlikely that they'd even be able to get the flimsiest of evidence.

It's very very very very very difficult to prove that Bailey's case was fraudulent.

We all might suspect that it is, but suspecting and proving are two very different things.

If the Gardaí went after Bailey with fcukall evidence, she might actually be able to take a claim against them for a malicious prosecution due to political pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

We don't need to prove Baileys case was fraudulent.
    "That would have been a case for the judge to adjudicate on ..."
    We know she lied, We know she tried to squeeze €20,000 from the Hotel before continuing with a €60,000 claim in the circuit court. There is nothing you or anyone else can say that will convince me that claim was valid.
    It doesn't matter either.
    Ironic that she would have continued the case all the way had it not been made public, and now it has she and FG want everyone else to stop commenting on what a sh*tty thing it was to try and do to a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The problem though is that nobody can prove that the claim was fraudulent. Not 100%. You can suspect it was fraudulent but many of the inconsistencies in Bailey's storey could be argued away in court as mistakes and not lies. I'm not standing up for her by the way. I think she should be shown the door pronto.

How can the Gardaí prove the claim was fraudulent?

She did fall off the swing, that's not in question so what can the Gardaí do there?

She'll have doctors reports to show she was injured. Doctors are experts in this area, not Gardaí. The Gardaí can suspect she is exaggerating her injuries but they won't be able to go against the word of a doctor.

She'll say the inconsistencies in the Affidavit were mistakes and not lies. How can the Gardaí prove anything there? Oops, I meant to type three weeks instead of three months. I was stressed after the injury and mixed up my dates etc. Easy enough thing to argue away.

Again, not standing up for her but it's next to impossible to prove she was lying or that her claim was fraudulent.

Even if the CCTV shows that she fell scuttered from the swing because of her own actions, that still doesn't mean that the claim is fraudulent.

Good post. And looking deeply into it, I suspect You are 100% right. Your post also highlights something that is fundamently wrong in this dump of a country. Those in the 'know' KNOW they can argue and get away with inconsistencies/fraud. As You point out, even the Gardaí are caught by the balls on this.

Fcuking sickening that MB can and probably will get away with it.

Of course the ONE comfort is that ultimately the electorate have the final say on whether she stays as a TD or she falls on HER OWN self inflicted sword.

Over to You in DLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4401832/leo-varadkar-insurance-companies-premiums-warning/

The arrogance of this man is beyond the beyonds altogether.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4401832/leo-varadkar-insurance-companies-premiums-warning/

The arrogance of this man is beyond the beyonds altogether.

If he delivers then great....unfortuneatly like a lot of thing with Leo it looks like a push this down 6 months and hopefully everyone will have forgot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If he delivers then great....unfortuneatly like a lot of thing with Leo it looks like a push this down 6 months and hopefully everyone will have forgot.....

I wouldn't trust him to deliver a pizza.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The PR lads will have work cut out for them
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/news-opinion/jason-otoole-comment-ditch-maria-18823915

Another article, not sure which paper had Coveney v leo or something like that on front page

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

He's a hologram, absolutely without substance or spine. I taught that odious little runt before him was bad but this consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/news-opinion/jason-otoole-comment-ditch-maria-18823915

Another article, not sure which paper had Coveney v leo or something like that on front page

From the article.
    But Mr Varadkar obviously needs to grow a pair of balls first.

Yep, true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

One of my favorite things about boards, right there in the last 4 posts.

8200 posts about this topic, circling around the issue of fraudulent/spurious/exaggerated insurance claims, several times referencing a report indicating that the cost of payouts (Fraudulent or not) is not even the main factor in rising insurance costs, rather an absolute cartel of thundering see you next tuesdays running the industry. The prime minister of the country finally gets the moxy to address what he is going to be blamed for head on and all of a sudden he is spineless.

I'm 100% certain he is snookered with respect to booting herself to touch, with her connections and conspirators representing enough of a balls-up to bring the government down if he dropped the foot the way a manager would, he is restricted to administrative ball scratching on that foot, knowing full well it would fester and result in a gangrenous mess in the coming months when we would have to extricate the whole lot of them, or face a landslide for the other cohort of useless stool pigeons that have been outside crapping on his car.

He's cooked, he doesn't have party body support as the old hands in councils and constituencies throughout the country will hold fast to cute-hoors whose backs they have scratched and vice-versa over the years, which is why we get stuck with such a gelatinous mess of useless time-wasters over and over while anyone with real potential, drive or savvy gets ground down and sucked into the game until they all realize their full orwellian potential, get their snouts in the trough and suck down the sweet sweet nectar of public funds outside of performance management.

Everyone who has posted on here in the last 8200 messages knows full well that any semblance of what people died for 100 years ago is buried with them and what is left is just a charade of sociopaths, martyrs and greedy god-damned pigs swilling around as our society slowly winds its way back into poverty and ignorance.
    We'll all deny it with some positive news day stories pointing and smiling and shaking our heads at the stories that don't suit our delusional narrative, either way, it all ends up in the bin with the tailings of tomorrows fish supper. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and them that fight it either turn into what they fought or die in the cross-fire.

Same as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's not 'all of a sudden' he is spineless..
    As for him being snookered as to what action or actions he could take to sanction her, Rumour has it that is why he was chosen to be their leader.
    He is supposed to be the one with the know-how and the cojones to deal with unruly members, yet he has shown little if anything in regard to that.
    If he isn't able to do it then he shouldn't have put himself in the running, or should step aside and let somebody else.

Yep, same as it ever was, same as it ever will be unless someone is taken to task every now and then and maybe a bit of disruption caused. Letting her away with it because he is afraid what may happen is frankly pathetic. There are I am sure many ways he coudl have dealt with this and still could without the government crumbling down around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd say Marie Bailey has them over a barrel. I wouldn't be surprised if she promised to spill the beans on Joseph's madigans input if she was kicked out. I'm sure is hoping the electerate will do the job for him.

I see LV has come in for stick in the Sunday Independent also:

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/eoghan-harris-leo-varadkar-has-left-it-too-late-even-to-eat-humble-pie-38372417.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

One of my favorite things about boards, right there in the last 4 posts.

8200 posts about this topic, circling around the issue of fraudulent/spurious/exaggerated insurance claims, several times referencing a report indicating that the cost of payouts (Fraudulent or not) is not even the main factor in rising insurance costs, rather an absolute cartel of thundering see you next tuesdays running the industry. The prime minister of the country finally gets the moxy to address what he is going to be blamed for head on and all of a sudden he is spineless.

I'm 100% certain he is snookered with respect to booting herself to touch, with her connections and conspirators representing enough of a balls-up to bring the government down if he dropped the foot the way a manager would, he is restricted to administrative ball scratching on that foot, knowing full well it would fester and result in a gangrenous mess in the coming months when we would have to extricate the whole lot of them, or face a landslide for the other cohort of useless stool pigeons that have been outside crapping on his car.

He's cooked, he doesn't have party body support as the old hands in councils and constituencies throughout the country will hold fast to cute-hoors whose backs they have scratched and vice-versa over the years, which is why we get stuck with such a gelatinous mess of useless time-wasters over and over while anyone with real potential, drive or savvy gets ground down and sucked into the game until they all realize their full orwellian potential, get their snouts in the trough and suck down the sweet sweet nectar of public funds outside of performance management.

Everyone who has posted on here in the last 8200 messages knows full well that any semblance of what people died for 100 years ago is buried with them and what is left is just a charade of sociopaths, martyrs and greedy god-damned pigs swilling around as our society slowly winds its way back into poverty and ignorance.
    We'll all deny it with some positive news day stories pointing and smiling and shaking our heads at the stories that don't suit our delusional narrative, either way, it all ends up in the bin with the tailings of tomorrows fish supper. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and them that fight it either turn into what they fought or die in the cross-fire.

Same as it ever was.

Could we please teach this post as a subject in our schools.
    It might encourage ethical youngsters to get into politics and dilute the cesspit of politicians currently available to represent us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

walshb wrote: »
    Like I asked, where did he make a claim that she lied.

Accusing someone of lying is quite a serious claim. Always has been.

He was careful with how he worded it, and rightly so...

You understand reconcile? Leo is saying she told press and him different versions which clearly means she was lying to either Leo, or the press, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Read up on what a lie is..

When one person gives different versions of the same event ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Shemale wrote: »

Don't ye know that simply "on mature recollection" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No. It’s a little more detailed than that. If

Hint, intentional deception needs to be present. If so, yes...a lie.

Getting something wrong does not necessarily make something a lie, or someone a liar. Nor does changing your version of an event or story. Changing a version of a story does not automatically make you a liar. There needs to be an intentional meaning to deceive.

Oh, before anyone jumps in. I am not talking about MB here. Just lie/liar in a general sense.

You understand reconcile? Leo is saying she told press and him different versions which clearly means she was lying to either Leo, or the press, or both.

Sorry, but what has this got to do with what I said? Leo did not call MB a liar. That is the claim I made.

• Advertisement

No. It’s a little more detailed than that. If

Hint, intentional deception needs to be present. If so, yes...a lie.

Getting something wrong does not necessarily make something a lie, or someone a liar. Nor does changing your version of an event or story. Changing a version of a story does not automatically make you a liar. There needs to be an intentional meaning to deceive.

Oh, before anyone jumps in. I am not talking about MB here. Just lie/liar in a general sense.

AGAIN, like yesterday, trying to deflect from the topic of THIS thread.

FFS, Will ye STOP trying to deflect from Bailey and Her shenanigans?

Best to use ignore for some people....otherwise the thread will be derailed every day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Actually that's one thing I learned during this thread. I never for one minute thought Fine Gael might have a spin machine team which would monitor social media attempting to quieten any negative commentary. I believe it now. I am not on Facebook or Twitter but I imagine it is rampant there too. Maybe all parties are at it? I find it a bit worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Its the modus operandi of that poster .Best ignore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think you are right. The vast majority of politicians are in it for the money. The salary, the expenses, backhanders, getting friends and family jobs etc

We pay a lot of taxes for such shítty politicians and poor public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Rumor has it that the job was cased!
    It was a big set up......pg this is not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Actually that's one thing I learned during this thread. I never for one minute thought Fine Gael might have a spin machine team which would monitor social media attempting to quieten any negative commentary. I believe it now. I am not on Facebook or Twitter but I imagine it is rampant there too. Maybe all parties are at it? I find it a bit worrying.

It wouldn't surprise me if they paid a PR firm - ran by none other than one of their own. It would tie in with the 'snout in the trough' that they are renowned for, and also the useless job they are making of it.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its the modus operandi of that poster .Best ignore

I think You are right, but I only wish the morons realised by their shenanigans, they are only attracting more negative comments on their beloved party and leader etc.

This thread has 8,219 comments, and 33,893 views. Are they that stupid that they cannot realise this thread and topic ain't going anywhere??

And I hope they realise that once the outcome of MB has been reached, then it's all targeting AF then.

Hold on a second. A poster asked me a question..and in you jump..

Get over yourself.

Nothing to do with deflection...we all know MB is wrong here...

What most, including you don’t seem to know is something so simple: Leo did not call her a liar...

Now, away with ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I only know what I know about Maria Bailey from the news and her speaking. Based on what little I know about her I assume her late father's involvement in politics gave her a foot in the door for FG.
    All political parties want to win as many parliamentary seats as possible. Indeed with Bailey being a woman maybe it also helped FG in fulfilling some do goody quota.
    Clearly she was rattled by the whole insurance claim debacle and it's coming to be public knowledge. Even allowing for that her media interviews gave off an aura of entitlement and a simple lack of humility. Indeed she insisted she was entitled to take a claim despite how ridiculous the claim appeared to be to the general public .
    Her late father wasn't beyond pulling off a stroke himself. So clearly apples don't fall far from the tree. Personality wise she is about as unsuited to be a public representative as it's possible to be. Are TD's suitability for being parliamentarians not screened before selection. In any walk of life you are tested for suitability for any paying role you take on.
    Politically she is finished. It has been very poorly handled by FG and Varadkar in particular. Indeed it's handling shows an element of disconnect from the feelings of the general public.
    The calibre of politician in Ireland is poor. Yes there must be exceptions but I'm struggling to think of any. Pearce Doherty strikes me as a shrewd intelligent operator but he will never fulfil his potential while in SF.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement