Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    Yes, she brought it on herself but didn’t your Mam teach you that two wrongs don’t make a right?

Oh christ, really?

Its wrong to criticize a insurance scammer becase they are an insurance scammer? Rapists and murders are a great bunch too, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Chiparus wrote: »
    I think she is too right wing catholic for the DL electorate now.
    She's been reelected councillor so there are clearly some votes going her way. She was runner-up in 2016 and well ahead of the rest. I'd still see her as having a reasonable chance of a seat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

kingstevii wrote: »
    I'd love to see the receipts for said costs..

You can be damn sure they do not exist.

So many questions still...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, I will say one thing for Bailey. She has a hard bloody neck. Obvious that all this vitriol isn't that damaging, seeing as she is still clinging on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

walshb wrote: »
    Well, I will say one thing for Bailey. She has a hard bloody neck. Obvious that all this vitriol isn't that damaging, seeing as she is still clinging on.

She’ll cling on till the bitter end. She won’t want to lose her pay and I think but am not sure doesn’t a TDs pension level have something to do with length of time served. Not sure what she did before politics but I doubt it’s as well paid as it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

is_that_so wrote: »
    She's been reelected councillor so there are clearly some votes going her way. She was runner-up in 2016 and well ahead of the rest. I'd still see her as having a reasonable chance of a seat.

Hanafin wont get elected, even if she forces herself on the card, it would also be poisonous to FF - 90% pro choice on the election in DL.

Catholic nut jobs are on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Indeed she has a hard neck. Through her actions she has destroyed the credibility of her party and lost many lifetime voters. Would want to have a hard neck for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Their mental health matters too. It’s not a binary choice.

Maria Bailey did something wrong, we’re all agreed on that. She’s a human being who made a bad, greedy decision. That radio appearance was a farce, I don’t know what else to say about that.

As a result, she has been front page news regularly for months, she’s taken a ton of abuse online, and she’s been demoted.

On top of all that, she’s lost her Dad. I think anyone can see it’s been an extremely difficult year for her.

She put herself in this position, there’s no denying that much.

But it was a dodgy insurance claim, it wasn’t murder. I’ve seen rapists get away with fewer headlines. A bit of perspective at this point would be appropriate.

And YES, I know businesses all over the country are shutting down because of insurance. Here’s the thing, that’s not actually Maria’s fault. It’s down to a culture of people like her, but she’s only responsible for the claim she has made. She’s a symbol of a wider problem - not the problem itself.

Her mental health issues are entirely on her own head.

She made a bad decision, no doubt aided and abetted by her pal. She compounded the issue by not taking responsibility for her actions.

She hasn't taken any abuse. She a politician, she should just put on her big girls panties and take personal responsibility.

She lost her dad, that's nothing to do with the issue. Wonder what he told her to do ?.

She is responsible for her part in the claims culture in the country. She should be slung out on her ass.

If she had succeeded in getting a big payout, I wonder would she have used any of her ill gotten gains on psychiatric help for her mental health problems.?

So how many months of headlines do you think we should go for? 8, 12, a year, five years?

That's her department. Leo seems to be incapable of doing fuk all.

I said you should show her some compassion because her dad died, not because she is a woman?

Get a life.

• Advertisement

The story is already over.

She dropped the claim, she’s not going to face any criminal charges, Varadkar demoted her. Whenever the next election is called my guess is she won’t be selected, she’ll run as an independent, and she’ll probably be re-elected.

You can spend another six months on here saying “well I think it’s a disgrace” if you want to, the story has run it’s course.

The story is far from over. Varadkar bottled it,barely demoted her. He will soon know what a mess hes made of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Where did these mental health issues come from? Was anything mentioned about her mental health or did somebody here say something and people just ran with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Suckit wrote: »
    Where did these mental health issues come from? Was anything mentioned about her mental health or did somebody here say something and people just ran with it?

Some rando was looking to invent the new 'this story is dead, move on' thing.
    She's happily still engaging in Irish political life, chancer that she is.

Maybe if she'd fallen on her neck this story would never have happened ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bailey isn't in politics to help people, she's in it to help herself, in fairness she was an unknown to me before this controversy, but you can see from her past that she's a woman who flirted with the limelight, once elected obvs considered herself to be a bit of a celebrity (check out some of the photos of her and other female FG TDs posing in shots).

The apple didn't fall far from the tree, she prob seen what kind of moolah daddy was able to pull in via his position and seen a money making opportunity rather than a willingness to change society or help people.

Even in her interview, the only time I really heard her feeling any way emotional was with her "Sean.....Sean..... I have worked too hard to get where I am" spiel - when she prob was contemplating what it would mean to have her cushy position taken from her..

Make no bones about it, considering she's such a nobody, and considering what she has brought upon the party, it wouldn't surprise me, if she would have been made toast except for the fact that she has made Leo know that if it is taken away, she'll spill the beans on Madigan or whatever other dirty secrets she's privy to.

She's the epitome of a self serving, self important charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

A lot of them are like that, but looking over FG since they got in, and since Leo took over, they seem to be convinced that they are celebrities to entertain us first, politicians last.
    The group selfie at LCD Soundsystem still sticks out. (Not sure if that was a pathetic attempt at showing us how hip they are).
    I'm not sure FG themselves know what they are supposed to be any longer. Their spin doctors seem to have spun them into some sort of politicool mess.

So hip and trendy. The 'make your pitch' thing was just cringy too.
    https://www.finegael.ie/recruitment-landing/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

This is it wrote: »
    Sent an email to a local FG member, letting them know I won't be voting FG due to this. Don't get me wrong, I know it means very little, I just hope there's enough from others too for them to think "Oh fûck, we've made a right mess of this".

Hard to have insurance reform as a policy when you literally have it in your party.

Got a reply to this. Brief but the jist of it was;

"Take it from me that your frustration is certainly shared."

It makes no odds really but it's good to know they're being put under pressure by the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Suckit wrote: »
    A lot of them are like that, but looking over FG since they got in, and since Leo took over, they seem to be convinced that they are celebrities to entertain us first, politicians last.
    The group selfie at LCD Soundsystem still sticks out. (Not sure if that was a pathetic attempt at showing us how hip they are).
    I'm not sure FG themselves know what they are supposed to be any longer. Their spin doctors seem to have spun them into some sort of politicool mess.

So hip and trendy. The 'make your pitch' thing was just cringy too.
    https://www.finegael.ie/recruitment-landing/

Wow, I hadn't come across this 'Make your pitch' before - untold levels of cringe. What are they thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Wow, I hadn't come across this 'Make your pitch' before - untold levels of cringe. What are they thinking

Reality, selfie, sock image branding. The young and hip, with no substance. Reality TV meets politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well, I will say one thing for Bailey. She has a hard bloody neck. Obvious that all this vitriol isn't that damaging.

That's probably why she didn't chance a whiplash claim ;)
    seeing as she is still clinging on.

The irony of her managing to "cling on" to a seat when the whole cause of this furore is that...
    She couldn't :D

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    Hanafin wont get elected, even if she forces herself on the card, it would also be poisonous to FF - 90% pro choice on the election in DL.

Catholic nut jobs are on the way out.
    And yet she keeps getting returned. She's on the ticket and got 11% FPVs in 2016. Never come across her "Catholic nut job" views. Do you have any evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭golfball37

Hanafin wouldn't want to be throwing too many stones in Maria's direction come campaign time. When she was Minister for Education she gave out about compo culture in the schools destroying the playground, all the while her own mother was suing the state for slipping in the Dail when there as a guest of her daughter.. You couldn't make up some of the stuff in this state sometimes.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Hanafin wouldn't want to be throwing too many stones in Maria's direction come campaign time. When she was Minister for Education she gave out about compo culture in the schools destroying the playground, all the while her own mother was suing the state for slipping in the Dail when there as a guest of her daughter.. You couldn't make up some of the stuff in this state sometimes.
    I don't see anyone even mentioning her, if she's on the ballot. They'll leave it up to the good people of DL to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Must mention that to the poor cratur, when she comes around.

Wow I never heard that story before. Mad but true.

Hanafin's mother got 30,000 for falling in Leinster House.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/30000-for-hanafin-mum-after-leinster-house-fall-26657826.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Shefwedfan wrote: »

It's good the article shows how much were paid out in legal costs. Ms Hanafin got one big payout but the solicitors are collecting sizeable payouts throughout the year, every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why do I constantly feel cheated and not represented properly by my politicians?

Why do I constantly feel cheated and not represented properly by my politicians?

I know. When you stop and think about it, its just too damn depressing. As soon as they get into government, the greed takes over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I know. When you stop and think about it, its just too damn depressing. As soon as they get into government, the greed takes over.

And to think Ireland has one of the lower corruption index scores :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement