Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Indos hard on for Madigan continues, now theyve even published a handy time line of the whole mess

Note that they title it "The Minister and the Swing case" and that they've been hounding her to answer the questions. They seem to know more than what is known.
    I wonder is that little refresher them coiling their tention, preparing for a big strike.

Is this rabid attack dog approach from the indo to take FG down somehow related to disrupting our stance on brexit?

Bloody Russians.

Who owns the indo now?
    More likely their years of restricted journalism with any story involving FG when they were under a previous owner.

A Belgian group owns them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Is this rabid attack dog approach from the indo to take FG down somehow related to disrupting our stance on brexit?

Bloody Russians.

Who owns the indo now?

For years the likes of RTE and press have been spinning a story on how great FG are.....covering up how poor they are.....its about time they started to tell the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bloody Russians.

Who owns the indo now?
    They used to do with with FF as well. They do tend to do this with stories of "public interest" worry it until when they find a replacement. This one ticks two boxes - government scandal and their unrelenting crusade against insurance claims. The odd piece aside it's a glorified rag these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Suckit wrote: »
    I wonder is that little refresher them coiling their tention, preparing for a big strike.

More likely their years of restricted journalism with any story involving FG when they were under a previous owner.

A Belgian group owns them now.

Will tomorrow morning's newspaper have more?

If Madigan was with Bailey when she fell off the swing, the Indo would be free to report so I assume?

They'd only need to worry about reporting on something that wasn't true, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭golfball37

Leo said 2 weeks to release report. That timeline shows it was 7 weeks. John Bailey death happened early July so that cannot account for the original delay. They knew what was what after a few days ffs.

The fact it took that long to create spin and the resulting spin is so bad is alarming. It says a lot about their abilities and more worryingly their attitude to a privileged position foisted upon them by the people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It definitely reads like that (to me).
    Either that or that they have run out of stuff and are reminding us to date as a filler until they get more information, which could also be the reason for the drip feeding.

I hope it is a bigger story with some cctv footage to boot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The Banks were at fault but so too were the regulators who allowed mad things to go on. It was obvious that people were getting loans way above what they could afford.
    I received several letters offering top-ups which I binned as I knew I’d be struggling if I took one.
    It’s happening again now even with Credit Unions offering loans for any old thing at all.

Remember them sending multiple signed cheques,all you had to do was lodge them :). I never did but I'm certain that many did :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Bloody Russians.

Who owns the indo now?
    Shows the value of free press. Nothing like this would have happened under the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Bloody Russians.

Who owns the indo now?

I would say the Indo is ONLY doing its job. And rightly so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Remember them sending multiple signed cheques,all you had to do was lodge them :). I never did but I'm certain that many did :(

Eh no. Don't remember that at all.

Did it actually happen because I'm thinking it's bull.

Frynge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bloody Russians. Who owns the indo now?

Unless Bailey fell off the swing because a KGB agent released a rabid attack dog in the Dean and startled her, then no.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Frynge wrote: »

Eh no. Don't remember that at all.

Did it actually happen because I'm thinking it's bull.

Frynge
    Me either. I remember the letters saying you are pre approved for 20k etc followed a week later by a letter saying I was pre approved for a credit card with I think 6k limit.
    Signed cheques sounds a bit too dodgy though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And the pre-approved mortgages at about 8 to 10x your annual salary...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

thats fair enough but if someone loses a claim case the business should be able to retrieve costs (people on SW are in the clear) and any suspect cases should be automatically referred to the DPP

Why should people on social welfare not have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Acosta

About bloody time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Mortgage soundbite ****ebaggery from Leo.

If he was so worried about people not getting mortgages he should do something about the REITs snapping up hundreds of properties in one fell swoop, driving up demand and prices

He is happy enough with his 0% mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Shemale wrote: »
    Why should people on social welfare not have to pay?

I think the assumption is that anybody on social welfare would have fcukall assets so there's no point in being awarded costs as you'll never see a penny of them.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And Leo advocating a return to the days of free money" as he advocates for easier mortgages in what is an obvious electioneering stunt :

Loosen up rules on mortgages – Leo tells watchdog

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/loosen-up-rules-on-mortgages-leo-tells-watchdog-38350557.html

As with most stunts though, this one has elements of truth. Mortgages and housing/rental costs are insane at this stage and many people are indeed trapped because they can't put together a deposit, but the answer isn't to give people easier credit (which will only drive prices up further) ... It's to increase supply, change the rules so that rent payments can be taken into account, and stop stoking the obsession with property ownership by calling it a "rent trap".

Not everyone can or should be able to buy a house and that's the reality, but real reform of the rental sector so people can rent a place for decades if they wish and make it a home is also part of the answer.

FG.. The responsible party remember!

Ah, but that is precisely the real answer at the big boys' table, Kaiser. The best thing of all is that if more people can buy houses that will mean that demand for homes will increase, and therefore the price of homes. Thus, the currently stagnating property market can grow again and that will make, well, many FG voters happy. After 8 years of inaction on housing, except for lowering standards and apartment sizes so that developers can make more money (if anybody remembers that), I'm incredibly cynical about the real motivations behind such initiatives on housing (or childcare) from FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Exposing crooked politicians. Keep up the good work The Indo.

Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey wrote to the Dean Hotel seeking €20,000 in compensation after falling from a swing on its premises, the Sunday Independent has learned.

Ms Bailey publicly said she sought €7,000 from the hotel to cover medical costs incurred from her fall in 2015.

However, it has now emerged Ms Bailey wrote to the hotel seeking €20,000 in compensation after she fell from a swing while holding a bottle of beer and reaching for a bottle of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

What’s changed at the Independent group? New ownership?

From terrible reporting and property shilling they now have their staff doing proper investigative journalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

mikemac2 wrote: »
    What’s changed at the Independent group? New ownership?

From terrible reporting and property shilling they now have their staff doing proper investigative journalism

Remember "Quantum research polls"?:D

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think the assumption is that anybody on social welfare would have fcukall assets so there's no point in being awarded costs as you'll never see a penny of them.

But if they lose, they could just stick costs against them, so next cohort case they win....they just take the costs out of previous losses....

That will stop them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

More lies exposed in the Independent today. The game is up ffs. If MB had an ounce of integrity she would resign.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Exposing crooked politicians. Keep up the good work The Indo.

So The Dean is feeding the Indo all this information, was thinking so but this confirms it

What other letters will pop up now?

So the Indo will have the video as well....maybe as story starts to die out someone might make a mistake and release

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭jmreire

BattleCorp wrote: »

Thats very true BattleCorp, but neither should they be allowed off scot free "after rolling the compo dice". Cost's should be awarded against them, if only to set a marker and "discourage" other compo gamblers. Plus , "Justice " is supposed to be blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

SSr0 wrote: »
    I hope them two cnuts are named.

Names and address provided

The country should shun them and their family

F**king disgrace

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Did you read this bit?

In the US, frequent compensation cases by fans struck by baseballs during the Major League season have forced many of the teams to erect nets around their playing areas.

O’Connor said this was unlikely to happen in Ireland, as the courts tended to bear in mind the “social value of sports” in their decisions. He said the law generally offered special protection to sporting bodies because of the good that sports did.

I really hate lazy comments like "Seriously this country is a f**king joke" as it's clear we're one of the best countries in the world by almost any measure you care to use. EVERY country has chancer politicians, and most countries, if they are even lucky enough to have elected or "elected" politicians, have more corrupt politicians than ours. Are ours perfect, no, clearly not... but they are who we deserve, for this I give you the likes of Michael Lowry, the multiple Healy-Raes and the Mick Wallaces.

• Advertisement

Did you read this bit?

[/I]

I really hate lazy comments like "Seriously this country is a f**king joke" as it's clear we're one of the best countries in the world by almost any measure you care to use. EVERY country has chancer politicians, and most countries, if they are even lucky enough to have elected or "elected" politicians, have more corrupt politicians than ours. Are ours perfect, no, clearly not... but they are who we deserve, for this I give you the likes of Michael Lowry, the multiple Healy-Raes and the Mick Wallaces.

What are you waffling about?

Who is talking about a politician, this country is a joke is someone goes to a rugby match and think it’s ok to sue because a ball hit her on the head

Now if it is another politician who is suing after going to match then you comment might make sense? You know something the rest of us don’t?

Your list of politicians seem to forget a few FG pals

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement