Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,239 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lola85 wrote: »
    There are no other parties big enough for what you want.

So it's impossible for a small party ever to grow into a big party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Kind of agree but cant also.
    Look at the turnout for marriage equality alone.
    Youth vote and older vote was huge.

Put a socially progressive referendum in front of the Irish people and you’ll see a win.

We’re good at referenda and it’s brilliant that we get to even have a say.

That was a referendum....nothing to do with FF or FG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Odder still to bring it up in a thread about FG fraudster Maria Bailey and the inept handling of same by FG Taoiseach Leo Varadkar.

I’ll go slowly.

As Taoiseach he told us there’d be a tree planted for every citizen in the country.

Decades later he’s now on several boards one of which is coailte selling off carbon credits to other elements.
    He ‘planted the trees to make money’.

He committed fraud also hes just infinitely better at getting away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I’ll go slowly.

As Taoiseach he told us there’d be a tree planted for every citizen in the country.

Decades later he’s now on several boards one of which is coailte selling off carbon credits to other elements.

Why are you constantly posting about Bertie?

Not part of the topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Shefwedfan wrote:

Deflection, can't defend Bailey's behaviour so the next obvious choice is an attempt to derail the thread.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Not part of the topic

Just found it odd the minute I dismissed ff there was an outcry. Read back.

I hate both of them no skin off my nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

So it's impossible for a small party ever to grow into a big party?

Of course not.

I meant at the moment.

People are very sensitive in this thread and jump down posters throats??

Deflection, can't defend Bailey's behaviour so the next obvious choice is an attempt to derail the thread.

Hardly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Agreed. I'm going with SF and holding my nose. FG and FF have both shown they are utterly incapable of running our country.

Speaking of the spinners, they are awfully quiet on this topic, aside from Doherty. But I haven’t heard a whimper from their leader on this circus.

mike_cork wrote: »
    The Indo look to me like they have the inside scoop of what really went on here.
    As you say, the increased spotlight from the paper on Madigan suggests they know she had a deeper involvement than let on to date.
    If Madigan is one of the mystery friends Maria referred to in the night in question, and (hypothetically) was the friend who's bottle of wine she was reaching for... Yet advised Maria to lodge a claim regardless, well there's no telling what way this might go.

Am I right in saying the hotel also have CCTV of the whole incident? If so, I am sure at sometime soon.

Yipppeeeeeeee

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Believe me,that video will never make it into the public domain.......
    Money solves a lot of problems in politics...

I wouldn’t count on that for one minute.

Am I right in saying the hotel also have CCTV of the whole incident? If so, I am sure at sometime soon.

The Dean refused to accept PIAB dealing with the claim and was content to challenge the case in court citing they had CCTV footage and were going to use it. Bailey filled her togs and cancelled her claim. The hope was the Calum would be settled on the steps. Bailey clearly didn't know who owned the Dean.
    It's reported the Dean is pursuing Bailey for their legal costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was away for a couple of days, so I missed a bit, but reading back over some of it looks to me like Madigan was happy with the review from a legal perspective, not as a public representative. That's just the way I read it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Suckit wrote: »
    I was away for a couple of days, so I missed a bit, but reading back over some of it looks to me like Madigan was happy with the review from a legal perspective, not as a public representative. That's just the way I read it now.
    Hmmm she was well able to tell the public she was happy with the report, yet the public can't see said report she's commenting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Dean refused to accept PIAB dealing with the claim and was content to challenge the case in court citing they had CCTV footage and were going to use it. Bailey filled her togs and cancelled her claim. The hope was the Calum would be settled on the steps. Bailey clearly didn't know who owned the Dean.
    It's reported the Dean is pursuing Bailey for their legal costs.

Seeing as it didn't go to court, I don't know how The Dean would be able to pursue Bailey for their legal costs.

JeffKenna wrote:
    Hmmm she was well able to tell the public she was happy with the report, yet the public can't see said report she's commenting on.

You should have heard what that clown Finian McGarth said. He was impressed with the report but admitted he had not seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I’ll go slowly.

Did he fall out of one of the trees and then sue Coilte for injuries, even though he had a pint of Bass in one hand? And then claim he couldn't get out of bed when he was seen at Croke Park? Then wtf are you mentioning it?
    Maybe you need to go less slowly to try to catch up with what this thread is about.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

JeffKenna wrote:

You should have heard what that clown Finian McGarth said. He was impressed with the report but admitted he had not seen it.
    That's tipp for ya... Finian McGrath, Michael Lowery etc...
    In fairness Una Healy is savage.

BattleCorp wrote:
    Seeing as it didn't go to court, I don't know how The Dean would be able to pursue Bailey for their legal costs.

No idea if they can or not, but I certainly would like to see a large dent in Bailey's bank account for her fraudulent behaviour.

That’s fair. Good points.

Brexit is more important by far than an internal Irish scandal.
    Especially such a petty but toxic one.

You are joking, right? I would say what Mb, AF, and suspectedly JM have done is critical to the insurance policies and ultimately every person in this country, not to mention the entertainment industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭banie01

mikhail wrote: »
    (Emphasis mine.) Freudian slip there?

Probably, but would you believe it's the second time I've made that very slip.

No idea if they can or not, but I certainly would like to see a large dent in Bailey's bank account for her fraudulent behaviour.

Wishful thinking. The only dent in her bank balance would be if the good people in her constituency gave her the old heave-ho at the next election. But I wouldn't bet a weeks wages on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Richard Bruton said something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Wishful thinking. The only dent in her bank balance would be if the good people in her constituency gave her the old heave-ho at the next election. But I wouldn't bet a weeks wages on it.

Walt a minute, are you saying that anyone can attempt to sue a business/individual for personal injuries they claim came about due to their negligence, the people being sued must get lawyered up etc, spend thousands (tens, or even hundreds of thousands) on their defence, and once called out on shenanigans, the person can drop it before it reaches court leaving the other party to pick up the tab they incurred due to the other party taking questionable action to begin with?

Serious question by the way.

If so, that's a thundering disgrace.

BattleCorp wrote:

I can see her and that other numpty (AF) being deselected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I can see her and that other numpty (AF) being deselected.

Even a deselection now is too late to even mitigate the damage that letting this run since May has caused FG.
    Farrell was bad, then to compound that with the crack handed manner they have dealt with Bailey along with Madigan's involvement and likely presence at the incident the claim arose from in the 1st place!!!
    That the incident itself raises questions over the judgement of a Minister and one of FG's best TD's is bad enough.

That it was allowed drag into the farce it has become and they tried to bury the "sanction" under BoJo, raises serious questions about the leadership and the lack of any actual accountability in the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

He described the report as "excellent" before admitting he hadn't read it and saying he "had a kind of preliminary kind of synopsis of it".
    Mr McGrath said he did not believe Ms Madigan had any questions to answer about her role in advising Ms Bailey. link
    Richard Bruton said something similar.

“I haven’t read the [Fine Gael] report so I haven’t been privy to the evidence involved.”
    "That issue has been deal with in the way that is proper, in my view.” link

facepalm.gif

Walt a minute, are you saying that anyone can attempt to sue a business/individual for personal injuries they claim came about due to their negligence, the people being sued must get lawyered up etc, spend thousands (tens, or even hundreds of thousands) on their defence, and once called out on shenanigans, the person can drop it before it reaches court leaving the other party to pick up the tab they incurred due to the other party taking questionable Antin to begin with?

Serious question by the way.

Serious answer. Yes.

And I know I'm not popular for having earlier voiced my opinion but the fact that Bailey fell off the swing is enough for her to take a claim.

Now we can argue whose fault it was and how badly she was injured but the fact she fell is enough to take a claim. Pretty much everyone reckons she might have been 'gilding the lily' but it's very difficult to prove that someone is exaggerating.

Incidentally, I don't think The Dean wouldn't have racked up substantial costs at this stage. It's a Circuit Court case so costs would be a lot lower than the High Court. I'd be surprised if The Dean had spent €10k on this case to date. Frustrating for The Dean but I think they are lucky that Bailey dropped her claim due to the bad publicity, because I think Bailey had a chance of winning her case in court, and that would have cost them a whole lot more.

I'm in agreement with you, it's poxy that businesses have to spend money to defend dodgy claims, but there's no other option if they don't want to keep paying out. And what's absolutely tragic is that sometimes for businesses it's cheaper to settle a claim than to actually fight it and win it in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That's tipp for ya... Finian McGrath, Michael Lowery etc...
    In fairness Una Healy is savage.

I think you are confusing Finian with Matty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

is_that_so wrote: »
    AFAIK they can't use Dail stationery for personal use and it's the expenses that cover all that but they do get a stash of pre-paid envelopes.

Did Kylie not get her fan letter on official government stationery?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement