Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Did Kylie not get her fan letter on official government stationery?

She did, and iirc he tried to stop it from being released a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Marcusm wrote: »
    JeffKenna wrote: »
    That's tipp for ya... Finian McGrath, Michael Lowery etc...
    In fairness Una Healy is savage.

I think you are confusing Finian with Matty!
    Ah so I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,253 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lola85 wrote: »
    Of course not.

I meant at the moment.

People are very sensitive in this thread and jump down posters throats??

Well the other poster said they wanted to see a non-FF/FG government in their lifetime, so they can afford to take a long-term view. Unless they are Simon Coveney's centenarian granny, which is unlikely for various reasons...Anyway, as I've pointed out before, out PR-STV system allows the voter to do the short-term fix and the long-term project on the same ballot paper. So you can give your first preference to your ideal party, no matter how insignificant they currently are, and a lower one to whichever of FF or FG you regard as the lesser evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That's tipp for ya... Finian McGrath, Michael Lowery etc...
    In fairness Una Healy is savage.

Thought Finian was from Galway and represents Dublin North?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Serious answer. Yes.

And I know I'm not popular for having earlier voiced my opinion but the fact that Bailey fell off the swing is enough for her to take a claim.

Now we can argue whose fault it was and how badly she was injured but the fact she fell is enough to take a claim. Pretty much everyone reckons she might have been 'gilding the lily' but it's very difficult to prove that someone is exaggerating.

Incidentally, I don't think The Dean wouldn't have racked up substantial costs at this stage. It's a Circuit Court case so costs would be a lot lower than the High Court. I'd be surprised if The Dean had spent €10k on this case to date. Frustrating for The Dean but I think they are lucky that Bailey dropped her claim due to the bad publicity, because I think Bailey had a chance of winning her case in court, and that would have cost them a whole lot more.

I'm in agreement with you, it's poxy that businesses have to spend money to defend dodgy claims, but there's no other option if they don't want to keep paying out. And what's absolutely tragic is that sometimes for businesses it's cheaper to settle a claim than to actually fight it and win it in court.

So if I fall off the bar stool tonight in the local I can make a claim......a hell of a lot of claims I could have made so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

It is entirely possible that the legal profession is a barrier to any root and branch reform of our compensation culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Taken from the journal today.

Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty told TheJournal.ie these figures again demonstrate that the “spin” from the insurance industry about claims “doesn’t stand up”.

“The compo culture doesn’t exist here in the way the industry would like us to believe,” he said. “They are trying to exaggerate it and put the burden on a large section of policy holders, increasing their premiums.”

Again I can’t get my head around the whole insurance thing?

On the one hand we’re told from insurance companies claims are the reason for high premiums then Pearse Doherty tells us that’s all lies?????

I dunno what to believe anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

lola85 wrote:

You have been called out on this multiple times, no need for me to elaborate.

Deleted my post, then noticed post above..
    Yeah, that makes sense as I realised I was posting info that has been mentioned numerous times in this thread. Pearse Doherty calling out the Insurance Companies went viral.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Suckit wrote: »
    Deleted my post, then noticed post above..
    Yeah, that makes sense as I realised I was posting info that has been mentioned numerous times in this thread. Pearse Doherty calling out the Insurance Companies went viral.

Pretty simple. We have an Insurance cartel on one side, a corrupt legal system in the middle and a compo culture on the other side.
    And the 'people who get up in the morning' who pay for above which keeps the wheel spinning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Pearse is wasted in SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

You can believe that the likes of FG TD's Bailey and Farrell's actions and Vradkar's complete lack of leadership are most certainly part of the problem and definitely not the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Serious answer. Yes.

And I know I'm not popular for having earlier voiced my opinion but the fact that Bailey fell off the swing is enough for her to take a claim.

Now we can argue whose fault it was and how badly she was injured but the fact she fell is enough to take a claim. Pretty much everyone reckons she might have been 'gilding the lily' but it's very difficult to prove that someone is exaggerating.

Incidentally, I don't think The Dean wouldn't have racked up substantial costs at this stage. It's a Circuit Court case so costs would be a lot lower than the High Court. I'd be surprised if The Dean had spent €10k on this case to date. Frustrating for The Dean but I think they are lucky that Bailey dropped her claim due to the bad publicity, because I think Bailey had a chance of winning her case in court, and that would have cost them a whole lot more.

I'm in agreement with you, it's poxy that businesses have to spend money to defend dodgy claims, but there's no other option if they don't want to keep paying out. And what's absolutely tragic is that sometimes for businesses it's cheaper to settle a claim than to actually fight it and win it in court.
    thats fair enough but if someone loses a claim case the business should be able to retrieve costs (people on SW are in the clear) and any suspect cases should be automatically referred to the DPP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

thats fair enough but if someone loses a claim case the business should be able to retrieve costs (people on SW are in the clear) and any suspect cases should be automatically referred to the DPP

That would reduce the claims, one judge pushed the legal costs back onto couple after they lost

They all sat crying in court with solicitor pleading because they wouldn’t be able to pay.

It needs to happen if they don’t win they pay all legal fees, this no win no pay culture is awful because it just means they have 3-4 cases going st once

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Seeing as it didn't go to court, I don't know how The Dean would be able to pursue Bailey for their legal costs.

I imagine the cctv footage would add a little incentive for Marie Bailey to cough up if the Dean asked nicely.

They’ve been 10 steps ahead of Marie all the way through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I imagine the cctv footage would add a little incentive for Marie Bailey to cough up if the Dean asked nicely.

That’s not very hard

Remember the stupid cow fell off a swing and thought it would a good idea to sue

You can believe that the likes of FG TD's Bailey and Farrell's actions and Vradkar's complet lack of leadership are most certainly part of the problem and definitely not the solution.

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And Leo advocating a return to the days of free money" as he advocates for easier mortgages in what is an obvious electioneering stunt :

Loosen up rules on mortgages – Leo tells watchdog

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/loosen-up-rules-on-mortgages-leo-tells-watchdog-38350557.html

As with most stunts though, this one has elements of truth. Mortgages and housing/rental costs are insane at this stage and many people are indeed trapped because they can't put together a deposit, but the answer isn't to give people easier credit (which will only drive prices up further) ... It's to increase supply, change the rules so that rent payments can be taken into account, and stop stoking the obsession with property ownership by calling it a "rent trap".

Not everyone can or should be able to buy a house and that's the reality, but real reform of the rental sector so people can rent a place for decades if they wish and make it a home is also part of the answer.

FG.. The responsible party remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I

Which says a lot about the caliber of person we elect to represent us.

Greedy vultures!!!!

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not everyone can or should be able to buy a house and that's the reality.

Why though? If I've paid 16,500 a year on rent, for the last 5 years, why can't I get a mortgage for that amount (or indeed less)? (330,000 over 20 years)

It's insanity that rent over 5 years isn't a factor in mortgage approval.

Why though? If I've paid 16,500 a year on rent, for the last 5 years, why can't I get a mortgage for that amount (or indeed less)? (330,000 over 20 years)

It's insanity that rent over 5 years isn't a factor in mortgage approval.

I agree with that (as referred to above). I'm talking about the glory days of 100% mortgages (which per that article is how Leo got his place), shenanigans to pass the stress tests, and the ridiculous prices this all led to - all to come crashing down a few years later.

I agree with that (as referred to above). I'm talking about the glory days of 100% mortgages (which per that article is how Leo got his place), shenanigans to pass the stress tests, and the ridiculous prices this all led to - all to come crashing down a few years later.

110% in some cases.

Now 10,000s can’t pay it back and we are in a mess with arrears.

Seems people are forgetting all this already.

It was bonkers.

110% in some cases.

Now 10,000s can’t pay it back and we are in a mess with arrears.

Seems people are forgetting all this already.

It was bonkers.

I would say that, as a country, we've learned almost nothing from the last decade, particularly where property is concerned.

Were it not for the stricter lending rules that were imposed upon us, you can guarantee that we'd be right back in the Tiger era of "free money" now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The only difference I can see between FG and FF is the name. Varadkar is out of his depth. Simon Coveney I believe would have made a better Taioseach

• Registered Users Posts: 51,658 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Banks were at fault but so too were the regulators who allowed mad things to go on. It was obvious that people were getting loans way above what they could afford.
    I received several letters offering top-ups which I binned as I knew I’d be struggling if I took one.
    It’s happening again now even with Credit Unions offering loans for any old thing at all.

That's 1,150,000 in pennies or red cents.. I bet that she would be counting them.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would defend this. Even if they were born into voting FG. They must surely see the damage this is doing to the party and more obviously how ridiculous the whole case was and the type of person/people they are defending.
    I can understand the spinbots defending, they get paid to do that.
    Other than that, must just be blind following which is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    So if I fall off the bar stool tonight in the local I can make a claim......a hell of a lot of claims I could have made so!

You can certainly make a claim. Whether or not you'd win is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Indos hard on for Madigan continues, now theyve even published a handy time line of the whole mess
    Timeline: The minister and the swing case
    May 23, 2014: Fine Gael's Josepha Madigan and Maria Bailey win seats on Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

July 10, 2015: Maria Bailey falls off a swing in The Dean Hotel.

August 3: Ms Bailey runs 'The Bay 10k' in 53 minutes. Despite this, later court papers from the claim say that she "could not run at all for three months post-accident".

February 26: Both Ms Madigan and Ms Bailey are elected to the Dáil. During Ms Madigan's time as a backbench TD she gave Ms Bailey initial legal advice and helped her with a Personal Injuries Assessment Board application.

2017: Ms Madigan leaves Madigans Solicitors in June and is appointed minister in November.

May 20, 2019: The Irish Independent reveals how Ms Bailey lodged a compensation claim against The Dean Hotel.

May 21: Ms Madigan refuses to comment on the Bailey case for the first time.

May 25: The Irish Independent reveals details of Ms Bailey's 10km run and it emerges later that day that Ms Bailey is dropping the case.

May 27: Ms Bailey's infamous interview with RTÉ's Sean O'Rourke. She says that she took legal advice and was "told I had a clear-cut case". She refuses to say if Ms Madigan was involved in advising her.

May 29: Taoiseach Leo Varadkar brings in senior council David Kennedy to investigate Ms Bailey's claim.

May 30: Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin calls on Ms Madigan to be "candid" on any role she played.

July 10: Ms Madigan says she is "very satisfied" with what Mr Kennedy's report says about her but won't comment on the case due to "client-solicitor confidentiality".

July 23: The Taoiseach releases a statement on Mr Kennedy's report into the Bailey case. He 'demotes' Ms Bailey from her position as Housing Committee chair.

July 24: Ms Madigan declines to answer a series of questions posed by the Irish Independent about her involvement in the case.

July 25: The Cabinet meets in Donegal. Ms Madigan ignored journalists as she arrived.

Note that they title it "The Minister and the Swing case" and that they've been hounding her to answer the questions. They seem to know more than what is known.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Is this rabid attack dog approach from the indo to take FG down somehow related to disrupting our stance on brexit?

Bloody Russians.

Who owns the indo now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement