Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Actually and I quote "Jonathan Swift was an Anglo-Irish satirist, essayist, political pamphleteer, poet and cleric who became Dean of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin".

His name was Jonathan,his title wad Dean !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Writer of Gulliver's Travels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

So will we have to wait 30 years now for the report to be released?
    Looks like it now; Sat Times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

mikeymouse wrote: »

So we can take it that the reality is worse than the speculation that's out there.

The one thing we can be sure of is if the report was in any way positive it would be getting sent to every sympathetic hack in the country for publication.

No surprise really, however I am looking forward to the FG propagandists coming along to attempt to justify this decision and blame the mob and the system and "the people" and anyone else they can think of.

Will the official position be that Bailey and Farrell are just the best of people who were led astray by the the evil insurance companies like the minister said or have they come up with anything a little more creative?

Just rember when election time rolls around, ABFG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Can a paper or the dean itself maybe apply to see the report under FOI ?

• Advertisement

So we can take it that the reality is worse than the speculation that's out there.

The one thing we can be sure of is if the report was in any way positive it would be getting sent to every sympathetic hack in the country for publication.

No surprise really, however I am looking forward to the FG propagandists coming along to attempt to justify this decision and blame the mob and the system and "the people" and anyone else they can think of.

Will the official position be that Bailey and Farrell are just the best of people who were led astray by the the evil insurance companies like the minister said or have they come up with anything a little more creative?

And when you have to pay your next insurance premium, and the one after that and the one after that...

Just imagine all those FG legal families who would suffer financially if their party got serious about tackling the Maria Baileys and Alan Farrells of Ireland. And we know how FG have rejected repeated OECD and IMF warnings that Irish legal services badly need reform, along with repeated warnings from our own competition authorities that they do, and instead got the Irish barrister and solicitor organisations to essentially rewrite the proposed reform of their own professions so that it doesn't actually undermine their closed-shop industry (more on this incredible FG "reform" of barristers and solicitors here).

Nothing surprising in FG brushing this under the carpet asap as the Maria Baileys of Ireland keep this uniquely protected magic money tree for barristers and solicitors alive. Corrupt as fúck, but with delusions of ethical and moral superiority over other political parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

This was my post:
    Shemale wrote: »
    Leo is a stonewall cert to be re-elected, FF and FG are always elected due to the age of the electorate who always voted for one or the other.

In his constituency more than likely, back again as Taoiseach? No hope.

I said elected, so a TD, he mightn't even be FG leader never mind Taoiseach.
    Since the story broke FG odds drifted from 1/2 to 10/11 ,that's an 14 point drift.
    FF odds shortened from 6/4 to 4/5 ,that's a 15 point diff.
    FF are now bookies favourite, the bookies rarely get it wrong!

That is irrelevant to my post, Leo will still be returned as a TD.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Off with you to Paddy Power if he's a stonewall cert...

Does someone have to gamble to be right...
    Do you have the odds...
    You can bet on mobile these days...

Seeing as you are trying so hard to be smart tell me who will take his seat in Dublin West, Coppinger and Burton are more vulnerable to O Connor. Dublin West is always a really tough constituency and FG tend to be nailed on for a seat, do you think Catherine Noone will usurp Leo for the FG seat?

2016 general election: Dublin West[20]
    Party Candidate
    Fine Gael Leo Varadkar
    AAA–PBP Ruth Coppinger
    Fianna Fáil Jack Chambers
    Labour Party Joan Burton
    Sinn Féin Paul Donnelly
    Independent David McGuinness
    Green Party Roderic O'Gorman
    Independent T J Clare
    Fine Gael Catherine Noone
    Renua Jo O'Brien
    Independent Dermot Casey

Paddy Power have odds for United Ireland by 2024 of 15/2 and it's 20/1 we have a leave EU referendum by the end of the year, the odds are beyond ****e as neither are going to happen.

Varadkar is 8/11 to be Taoiseach ffs, built in to that is that A) he gets elected, B) FG have a majority and are in government and C) FG still want him as leader. To be elected he must be 1/10, fools odds.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Leo is a disaster, last time they voted in Enda.

Leo hasn’t faced a proper vote bar the local elections and got his ass kicked in those

He has the look of a man who knows the gig is up and FG are just using him as the scape goat, hush up the report Leo because if you don’t it won’t just bring you down it will bring the whole thing down

Children hospital -disaster
    Broadband - disaster, Eir coming out and saying they can do for 1 billion after he gave them back hand earlier in negotiations is another knife in back
    Insurance - disaster, his RTÉ film by prime time is seen as just waffle....he has long enough now to fix it

At this stage he just looks like an incompetent fool, even the Healy-Raes look better than him, and they are criminals at this stage if they ever reviewed the carry on with those two

All I said he would be elected because of the demographics in his constituency, I think he is a **** show and not a hope I will be voting for him. To highlight my point this is a link to the local election results, with gains for FG in Fingal. Dublin West includes Blanchardstown - Mulhuddart, Castleknock and Ongar :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/local-elections/fingal-county-council-results-greens-gain-three-seats-as-20-year-old-student-is-elected-1.3890429

Shemale wrote: »
    Paddy Power have odds for United Ireland by 2024 of 15/2

Interesting! Star Trek will be impressed!

This arrogant Fine Gael TD got a superb job in Europe despite his ineptness.

That is the Fine Gael way, screw the Irish people get jobs in Europe, everyone wins, except the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Indo just printing a random CCTV compo culture related article, or a thinly veiled threat against the gouging party?
    Mr McDonagh, an outspoken critic of Ireland's 'compo culture', has released CCTV of a recent incident where a customer photographed a wet bathroom floor and then appears to stage a fall at a branch in the midlands last October

link

• Advertisement

Smell of bull**** off this:

“I don’t believe so, but I haven’t read it or received it so I’ll have to make that decision,” he said.

How could you read something you don't have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Can a paper or the dean itself maybe apply to see the report under FOI ?

I would not think so. It’s the Fine Gael party paying for it, not a government department

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The Indo just printing a random CCTV compo culture related article, or a thinly veiled threat against the gouging party?

link

Fair play to him, a man that has fought and beaten the global giant McDonalds in court, he employs over 2,700 people in over 100 restaurants and the biggest threat to his business is false compensation claims which he continues to fight.

A true patriot.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Just another point on the insurance part, FF spent all the 3% Government Levy collected over the years and when Quinn collapsed there was no money to pay the claims, so it came from the public coffers, FF then increased the levy to 5% in 2010.

Using this link Report On Insurance they state annual Gross Written Premium of €3.51 billion, this possibly includes marine, life and aviation to which the levy doesnt apply.

Using €2 billion per year (rough guestimate) over the 4 years gives €8 billion to which the levy would apply or a government fund of €400 million in the event they have to pay claims of a failed insurance company.

In 2014 Setanta insurance collapsed FF(1 year) and FG(3 years) had spent the original 3% levy and the 2% put on after Quinn collaped which they could have kept for it's intended purpose.

The insurance companies have a fund used for claims involving uninsured drivers the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland (MIBI), FG tried to make them pay the €20 million claims and the High Court ordered the state had to pay the claims, seeing as they are meant to. If they were successful you would be paying even more for insurance because FG have been using the insurance money for something else.

On top of this the government have been trying to make the insurance companies pay for flood claims even though a lot of claims are due to planning being given in stupid areas.

This levy always drove me mad, if the govenments could keep their hands off it it wouldn't need to be 5% and we would all save money.

If they keep the 5% for a few years, putting €100 million in the coffers a year (based on €2 billion premium) they could easily pay claims for a failed company (which should be less likely with EU solvency requirements) and all the flood claims and then could then reduce the levy back to 2% without forcing up premiums. As I see it the next time there are floods / failed insurance company they will try up the levy again.

Look at climate change, rather than try deal with it they paid about €80 million iirc (might be €60 million) of tax money to buy carbon credits off other countries. They are also including a carbon tax on fossil fuels of €50 a ton (whatever the **** that means) which will be going onto our gas and electricty bills so rather than say to the energy companies meet green targets or we will fine you they would rather buy tax credits and make us pay more tax.

FG really don't give a **** about the citizens, they are just monkeys for the faceless Europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

And when you have to pay your next insurance premium, and the one after that and the one after that...

Just imagine all those FG legal families who would suffer financially if their party got serious about tackling the Maria Baileys and Alan Farrells of Ireland. And we know how FG have rejected repeated OECD and IMF warnings that Irish legal services badly need reform, along with repeated warnings from our own competition authorities that they do, and instead got the Irish barrister and solicitor organisations to essentially rewrite the proposed reform of their own professions so that it doesn't actually undermine their closed-shop industry (more on this incredible FG "reform" of barristers and solicitors here).

Nothing surprising in FG brushing this under the carpet asap as the Maria Baileys of Ireland keep this uniquely protected magic money tree for barristers and solicitors alive. Corrupt as fúck, but with delusions of ethical and moral superiority over other political parties.

So no report for us to see yet we're told by them that tax cheats and insurance cheats cheat us all and they want us to rat out neighbours etc.they can shove their insincere campaigns up their holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did someone say something about the report being leaked?

No public interest in publishing the Bailey report, FG leader insists
    There are voices within the party saying that Mr Kennedy's report should be published. One minister said: "Refusing to publish the report will create a clamour and enough people will have it so it will eventually leak."

An article about CCTV footage exposing compo culture, followed by an article about how Varadkar shouldn't be keeping the report secret, and how it'll end up being leaked anyway.

The indo have the Gougers by the balls, and they're twisting them. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The Independent have gone way, way up in my estimation for the way they have taken a stance on this debacle.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Id be curious to know why they so interested to keep this report quiet

Its an internal party matter alright,but acknowlging the existance of the report and refusing to release it....

Is stalin levels of secrecy......and given their tradional use of social media suggest they dont trust their supporters with the info even

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

_blaaz wrote: »
    Id be curious to know why they so interested to keep this report quiet

Its an internal party matter alright,but acknowlging the existance of the report and refusing to release it....

Is stalin levels of secrecy......and given their tradional use of social media suggest they trust their supporters with the info even

In ths indo today Leo said that the public would not be interested in the report:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

In ths indo today Leo said that the public would not be interested in the report:)

Its a complete car crash....telling people not to look will only make them look more

I had only a vague passing interest in this...but coming out and effectively censoring content going the public has made me now want to see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

His arrogance knows no bounds.

Arrogance and incompetence - A dangerous combination..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Fair play to him, a man that has fought and beaten the global giant McDonalds in court, he employs over 2,700 people in over 100 restaurants and the biggest threat to his business is false compensation claims which he continues to fight.

A true patriot.

It would be very interesting to see what percentage of claimants in personal injury claims are members of the traveling community??

Another conveniently hidden fact by RTÉ and other cloud cuckoo land Dublin PC heads .

smurgen wrote: »
    So no report for us to see yet we're told by them that tax cheats and insurance cheats cheat us all and they want us to rat out neighbours etc.they can shove their insincere campaigns up their holes.

Did you not get the memo? That was last week when it was poor people they were going after.

This week in true Orwellian style the story has changed.
    Compensation is seen as “easy money” that tempts even the “best of people” into making unwarranted claims, the minister responsible for reforming the sector admits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

FG are showing massive contempt for the electorate. Its without a doubt damage limitation now. That's how it is appearing.

We are not fools Leo and this will not go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »

I bet he'll be voting ABFG next election.

No public interest in publishing the Bailey report, FG leader insists

Leo can cling to his delusion, the rest of us in the real world reject fraudsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

He said it was not a public inquiry funded by public money and "it's never been our practice to publish such reports nor I think has it been the practice of any other political party".

Does that mean that somebody else paid for the inquiry with their own money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

seligehgit wrote: »
    But these lawsuits are still costing his business a fortune. 76 currently ongoing.

This case was a clear-cut example of fraud; yet nothing will happen to the fraudster. Fine Gael, after promising us a dedicated Garda unit to tackle this epidemic, scrapped the plan a few weeks ago (very quietly after the Bailey news broke).

I've said it before: If there were negative consequences to people who brought fraudulent claims to court, then the numbers filing lawsuits would dramatically fall ......... as would our insurance costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Dammo

Kivaro wrote: »
    But these lawsuits are still costing his business a fortune. 76 currently ongoing.

This case was a clear-cut example of fraud; yet nothing will happen to the fraudster. Fine Gael, after promising us a dedicated Garda unit to tackle this epidemic, scrapped the plan a few weeks ago (very quietly after the Bailey news broke).

I've said it before: If there were negative consequences to people who brought fraudulent claims to court, then the numbers filing lawsuits would dramatically fall ......... as would our insurance costs.

Surely this is a no brainer. Take a legitimate claim and you either win or lose, fair enough. But a clearly fraudulent claim has to be met with a serious deterrent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement