Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Augme wrote: »
    We just had one and Fine Gael did very well in both of them.

Yes but don't you see what this Swing story does in our political system? I think people miss it.

Corruption/Fraud stories like this just serve to accelerate the rehabilitation of Fianna Fail. It's pretty obvious that FF are gaining credibility and popularity again year by year. Unbelievably so.

FF were almost dead and buried 8 years ago and rightly so. With FG folks equally fond of the political pig trough and wasting taxpayer money, FF's wrongdoings are being whitewashed over time. In the vacuum of a credible opposition (SF aint it), FF are now getting more votes than anyone else. Hard to fathom given what they did. Well done FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

mattser wrote: »

The people spoke alright, and told one particular party where to get off.

The message went something like " If you think you're fit enough for power down here, you better think again. The first principle of employment is turning up for work ".

And if you are a FG solicitor that work might very likely involve processing dodgy insurance claims. We would all be better off if some people didn't turn up for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Augme

Yes but don't you see what this Swing story does in our political system? I think people miss it.

Corruption/Fraud stories like this just serve to accelerate the rehabilitation of Fianna Fail. It's pretty obvious that FF are gaining credibility and popularity again year by year. Unbelievably so.

FF were almost dead and buried 8 years ago and rightly so. With FG folks equally fond of the political pig trough and wasting taxpayer money, FF's wrongdoings are being whitewashed over time. In the vacuum of a credible opposition (SF aint it), FF are now getting more votes than anyone else. Hard to fathom given what they did. Well done FG.

Ah it's not that hard to fathom. Most Irish people love money and there main ain is too make as much as possible, as quickly and as easily as possible. Hence the reason are politicians are the same and why we don't have a big issue with that.

There are very little morals among Irish politicians because there are very little morals among Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I'd say the government will be only too happy to looking into "policing" social media after the suggested "bullying" of one of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Over a week after the scandal breaks, Saint Fintan O'Toole of Drimnagh ascends his lofty pulpit and informs us (in today's Irish Times) in a verbose manner that we are all to blame!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Over a week after the scandal breaks, Saint Fintan O'Toole of Drimnagh ascends his lofty pulpit and informs us (in today's Irish Times) in a verbose manner that we are all to blame!
    Bishop Tin-Ear O’Toole would have fitted in perfectly on Craggy Island .

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Also, apparently Leo has been briefed that the letter was seeking compensation for personal injury, loss, damage and inconvenience.

I wonder if the letter was sent either by a solicitor, signed off by a solicitor, or on the advice of a solicitor?

That sounds like the standard Letter of Claims which is mandatory requirement before PI proceedings are issued. Yes a Solicitor would have advised on that requirement since MB is "not a legal person"!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I fail to see an issue here?

We still need gas and oil, that is clear.

Doesn’t mean we can’t pursue other avenues to tackle climate change at the same time.

More outrage over nothing.

It's the semantics of it. Just a few days after Greens had a very popular election and Leo said he recognized that.

I suspect the FG green policy will be limited to carbon tax "because that is what the people want" the revenue of which will not be used to support green initiatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It's the semantics of it. Just a few days after Greens had a very popular election and Leo said he recognized that.

I suspect the FG green policy will be limited to carbon tax "because that is what the people want" the revenue of which will not be used to support green initiatives.

And the incoming broadcast charge

Something has to pay for that broadband fiasco

The Simpson’s episode ‘monorail’ comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Chiparus wrote: »
    So he had a beer in her when she went up the lift and her friend had a bottle of wine?

1 Where did they acquire the beverages.
    2 did her friend have a glass , or was she "necking" the wine

Did you listen to any of the interview?

• Advertisement

Pat Kenny yesterday was a hoot :) he had Maria's pr guru on a panel to talk about issues and he refused to talk about that issue so pat went straight to the other panelists who were eager to talk :)

She certainly seems to surround herself with clowns. That alone tells a story on her judgment .

brooke 2 wrote: »
    The relationship between the Madigans and the McKillens?
    MB did hint she was collateral damage.

Would she see herself as collateral damage if she got €60k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

She certainly seems to surround herself with clowns. That alone tells a story on her judgment .

"Pat I'm not giving it any more oxygen ok"

"Pat I'm not giving it any more oxygen ok"

:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Pat Kenny yesterday was a hoot :) he had Maria's pr guru on a panel to talk about issues and he refused to talk about that issue so pat went straight to the other panelists who were eager to talk :)

Beautifully summarised by Her Lordship in today's Irish Times:-
    "Pat Kenny followed up with a delicious interlude with PR man Paul Allen, who accompanied Maria to RTÉ for that lamentable chat about why she sued over falling off a swing, then withdrew her action.

Allen turned up as a talking head on Kenny’s Friday gathering. As a media savvy guy, he must have known why Pat invited him on as a guest. Or so you would have thought.

“You were in the news yourself. Normally the PR man sort of steps back,” began Pat.

“Nothing like a good old Friday gathering, eh?” replied Paul.

“Yeah. But normally, you’re a player. You just kind of facilitate the play,” countered the veteran broadcaster.

“Sure, and what are you referring to?”

“Eh, Maria Bailey,” chuckled Pat. “You were in her company when she went to Sean O’Rourke.”

Paul Allen said he was, because Maria and her family are his friends. She phoned him the night before the interview and asked him to go with her to RTÉ and he went as a friend.

“Did you advise [her]?” wondered Pat, not unexpectedly.

‘Tearing your hair out’
    “Well to be honest, I don’t really want to fan the flames of this story any further. I think we’ve all had a lot of it and while it’s where it is at the moment I don’t really want to get into any more of that.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-pr-man-takes-a-swing-on-behalf-of-maria-bailey-1.3911352

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

At this stage I'm wondering did she include the cost of all her alcohol as a constituency expense and we, taxpayers, were paying for it? If so, she had plenty of reasons to be having a great time.

If we had something called investigative journalism in Ireland, we could find the answer to this out.
    I'd be fairly certain that there's teams of journalists digging for anything to keep her front and center.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I'd be fairly certain that there's teams of journalists digging for anything to keep her front and center.

The claim against aer Lingus for €160k which has magically disappeared from the site

Bizarre it hasn’t been brought up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It hasn't disappeared from anywhere.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    At this stage I'm wondering did she include the cost of all her alcohol as a constituency expense and we, taxpayers, were paying for it? If so, she had plenty of reasons to be having a great time.

If we had something called investigative journalism in Ireland, we could find the answer to this out.
    I'd say there is more than her worried about what might show up in tomorrow's papers.

mickdw wrote: »

I can’t recall the name of the site but there’s a website full of the listings of claims etc possibly law society?
    The entry for her claim was deleted this week.
    Someone posted about it earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement

The cash must have disappeared at least, looks like she needed a top up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

jon1981 wrote: »
    I'd say the government will be only too happy to looking into "policing" social media after the suggested "bullying" of one of their own.

I fear that's an agenda they may pursue and particularly Leos spin Government. Whilst there is always nasty trolls with social media much of the "keyboard warriors" outrage has been very justified in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can’t recall the name of the site but there’s a website full of the listings of claims etc possibly law society?
    The entry for her claim was deleted this week.
    Someone posted about it earlier in the thread.
    I think it was established a few posts later that it was only the link posted that was no longer working or timed out and the record was still there if searched direct.

I think it was established a few posts later that it was only the link posted that was no longer working or timed out and the record was still there if searched direct.

Ah right thanks. Didn’t see that part.
    It came up same time as RTÉ being instructed to take down the interview.
    I’m not sure if that did or didn’t happen either.
    But I wouldn’t be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

https://youtu.be/TZqRZ8D800A
    Anyone remember this pleb.
    It's up there with car crash radio interviews

Is this thread still rocking backwards and forwards? :D

Is this thread still rocking backwards and forwards? :D

Keep on rocking in the free world.

Swing low sweet chariot coming forth to carry me home

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Girls keep swinging