Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

If he kicks her out, she'll be an independent that votes with FG, no change at all.

She will not get in as an independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

She has to go 100%.

I won’t be voting FG again as long as she remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pat Kenny yesterday was a hoot :) he had Maria's pr guru on a panel to talk about issues and he refused to talk about that issue so pat went straight to the other panelists who were eager to talk :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Pat Kenny yesterday was a hoot :) he had Maria's pr guru on a panel to talk about issues and he refused to talk about that issue so pat went straight to the other panelists who were eager to talk :)
    More like a Shoot your Foot off guru !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Something I also found interesting in the interview, (I'm not aware of how a compensation claim works, having never had one).

When challenged about the run, the dates etc, Bailey claimed that the documents weren't finalised before going in front of a judge.

As already said, I'm not familiar with the workings of a compo claim, but am I to understand that a claimant can literally lie through their teeth when making a claim, and if the insurance company buckle's first, and pays out, these lies will practically be unquestioned?

Isn't that legalised thievery if you receive a payout based on lies?

Perhaps that is why it was dropped?
    Cannot think of any other reason, she clearly does not do embarassment going by the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why should FG remove her as a member?
    She is not pursuing the claim.

Why does a party remove any member? It happens all the time

Some good reasons here might be

- Going on national radio without telling HQ. SOR asked her had she informed the party general secretary
    - Damaging the “brand”
    - Costing future votes
    - They can get a better candidate in the constituency
    -And lastly she is only a backbencher. If tossing her aside protects a minister it’ll be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

And then the lead story on the news immediately after was quoting him saying I have no comment, I don't want to fan the flames. Comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is there a Hitler movie clip yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jaysus some article in today's Indo about Maria Bailey. Amazing to think this is one of the top stories for the last two weeks. I'd say Eoghan Murphy can't believe his luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

padd b1975 wrote: »
    They had 'A' glass of wine before hopping on the Luas.
    They purchased 'A' drink at the bar which they didn't drink... For some unexplained reason!

Nobody was messing 😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Why does a party remove any member? It happens all the time

Some good reasons here might be

- Going on national radio without telling HQ. SOR asked her had she informed the party general secretary
    - Damaging the “brand”
    - Costing future votes
    - They can get a better candidate in the constituency
    -And lastly she is only a backbencher. If tossing her aside protects a minister it’ll be done

Alistair Campbell was expelled from the Labour party this past week for voting for a lib dem in the UK. Of all the things to expel him for, that's pretty low.

I imagine they won't though as it would lose them another seat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jaysus some article in today's Indo about Maria Bailey. Amazing to think this is one of the top stories for the last two weeks. I'd say Eoghan Murphy can't believe his luck.

The opinion column in the Irish mirror is gold too. :D

Some extracts.
    The Dun Laoghaire deputy even features in a video game where a woman on a swing tries to avoid falling beer and wine bottles while attempting to retrieve a bag of cash.

Bailey claimed she was left injured when she fell off a swing at the hotel on Dublin’s Harcourt Street, but last weekend she officially dropped her claim.

She was looking for more than €60,000 from the establishment because the swing wasn’t supervised but it later emerged she ran a 10km race three weeks later.

Had the legal action not been reported all would have been fine and dandy but news of a Fine Gael TD looking for 60 grand compo at a time when businesses are being crucified with bogus claims doesn’t look good.

Indeed, just last month Neil McDonnell, chief executive of ISME which represents small and medium enterprises, told the Oireachtas Finance Committee that spiralling insurance costs were forcing companies to close.

In short, it wasn’t the actual claim that worried the Taoiseach and his ministers; it was the fact one of their own was involved in what many believed to be a very dubious insurance claim.

It also exposed Fine Gael as a party which is big on spin but which is actually doing very little to clamp down on insurance fraud and that’s why Ms Bailey is in so much bother.

Had she managed to keep her claim under the radar, there wouldn’t have been a cross word, but as it stands her so-called friends in the party are removing photos of her from their Facebook pages.

It’s not a case of what she did, it’s a case of what she got caught doing.

The end piece.
    Her claim that “humanity has been crossed” by the media will live on longer than her dodgy insurance claim against the Dean.

Tory Boy Leo didn’t like it and party bosses were outraged that RTE didn’t warn them she was going on to make a holy show of herself and Fine Gael.

Imagine the arrogance of a party that feels it has the right to be informed by the national broadcaster of who is appearing on a current affairs radio programme.

Her lack of judgment could certainly be called into question but that wouldn’t necessarily come against her as her boss would be the best in that department.

Apparently the party is undertaking an internal review to establish the facts, which is the usual Fine Gael ploy when they don’t want to make a decision.

But the fact the party is worried about reputational damage when it has overseen the near destruction of the health service and is largely responsible for the worst homelessness and housing crisis in the State’s history tells you all you need to know about it.

On the subject of insurance claims, a young lad with an L plate drove into the side of my car during the week, leaving another dent in my old Mondeo.

I caught the accident on my dashcam but as he was only a learner I shook his hand and said he could forget about it.

I should have told him he’s lucky I’m not a member of Fine Gael or his insurance would be going through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, there's something cartoonish about the focus it is getting in the midst of several ongoing issues.

Maybe people were just burned out from heavy stories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Yeah, there's something cartoonish about the focus it is getting in the midst of several ongoing issues.

I think the extra focus is in part brought about by the anger of the other issues and the fact FG just don’t seem to be listening. There’s a vast disconnect between their policies and public mood (shared accommodation wtffffff) and the broadband thing.
    The later alone should have us going full pitch forks. It’s astounding they’re being allowed away with that. Or any of it.

We need an election pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That's one way of looking at it, I'm more inclined to think that it's because it goes deeper than what we can see from the surface.

Things like who was with her, and witnessed it, what is Madigans involvement in it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think the extra focus is in part brought about by the anger of the other issues and the fact FG just don’t seem to be listening. There’s a vast disconnect between their policies and public mood (shared accommodation wtffffff) and the broadband thing.
    The later alone should have us going full pitch forks. It’s astounding they’re being allowed away with that. Or any of it.

If this is the case, I'd sooner people were ticked off and demanding answers/action over Leo's claim that they heard the call for climate action last Friday and yet signed oil exploration rights to a Chinese company on Tuesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

If this is the case, I'd sooner people were ticked off and demanding answers/action over Leo's claim that they heard the call for climate action last Friday and yet signed oil exploration rights to a Chinese company on Tuesday.

This is just it. Can’t help but think he thinks the public are stupid. Literally says one thing in public about hearing the messagexon the environment and then thinking nobody will notice the exploration deal.
    It’s just so flabbergasting.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Alistair Campbell was expelled from the Labour party this past week for voting for a lib dem in the UK. Of all the things to expel him for, that's pretty low.

I imagine they won't though as it would lose them another seat
    If you don’t expel Campbell for Committing Treason and his War Crimes then the Lib Dim thing does seem silly .:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Augme

We just had one and Fine Gael did very well in both of them.

Augme wrote: »
    Not everything was in full “ Swing “ mode then .

Sometimes all it needs is a little Push !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I fail to see an issue here?

We still need gas and oil, that is clear.

Doesn’t mean we can’t pursue other avenues to tackle climate change at the same time.

More outrage over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It’s two minutes since the last comment! Bump!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    We shall be contacting our solicitors forth-with !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Over 3,000 posts and still can't figure out why there's offside in camogie but not in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Until enough people figure out the link between how they vote and what the outcome costs them (bank bailouts, never ending budget over run etc etc) an election won't change much.

For example, a fiver on the pension every year is enough to buy their votes while the same demographic feel the effects of HSE inefficiency the most.

Would be interesting to see odds on Bailey getting re-elected in next election (either in or out of FG), suspect the chances are high.

Defies all logic.

Humanity has been crossed.

What about the young , say on 30,000 that get back less than 1.50 a week in income tax cuts, throw in inflation including property inflation and how much worse off are they becoming ever year?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Idbatterim wrote: »

Do you need a plaster ?

Or maybe €60k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If we don't at least take charge of our resources they will be taken from us, do you think the superpowers will "leave it in the ground"? No they will take it by force.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

It might also have something to do with the fact that she castigated the media, referring to 'one person in particular'.
    That person won't drop the Maria story too soon, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Augme wrote: »

The people spoke alright, and told one particular party where to get off.

The message went something like " If you think you're fit enough for power down here, you better think again. The first principle of employment is turning up for work ".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

That's one way of looking at it, I'm more inclined to think that it's because it goes deeper than what we can see from the surface.

Things like who was with her, and witnessed it, what is Madigans involvement in it etc.

The relationship between the Madigans and the McKillens?
    MB did hint she was collateral damage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement