Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Lumen wrote: »
    The idea of spending 50-60k on a car to save money is ridiculous. If you want to save money you can run a car for a few thousand a year, including depreciation.

I think you miss the point entirely - it saves money COMPARED TO an equivalent (and likely much lower) performance ICE car of a similar price.

I.e. if someone wants to buy a BMW M3 or Jaguar F-Pace, Audi S5 etc. anyway, the Tesla will be cheaper overall.

If saving money is your only concern you buy a €200 bicycle which has very low maintance costs too.

Veering off topic again, is there another thread for "general finance and car discussions"?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭batts_not_incl

another truck carrying model 3s is pulled up at sandyford according to a guy on owners club group on facebook.
    pic showing 1 x blue and 1 grey with performance wheels and 1 white with aeros.

sorry seems i didn't notice the models correctly there's an s and an x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

another truck carrying model 3s is pulled up at sandyford according to a guy on owners club group on facebook.
    pic showing 1 x blue and 1 grey with performance wheels and 1 white with aeros.

Any links?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Any links?

it's a private group, but here's a screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If I had 50 k to spend my interest in 330es would be somewhere around zero.

There is nothing brand new at 50 k that gives the cool factor Model 3 offers imo.

Hybrids at over 40 k also start getting meh very very quickly. Hybrid is grand if you are looking for reliability on A to B transport .

And if you get too deep into getting the best out of a plug in hybrid you might as well buy a full electric .

• Advertisement

actuallyu, i'm wrong about the model, oops, sorry didn't look properly

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

The white one looked like a 3?

A thought, could these all be for "business customers"?

Is there a chance the budget might do something with a reduction in VAT for EVs and thus they are only fulfilling customers who are VAT registered and would not be affected by that post-budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

White one is a 3 definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

Old diesel wrote: »
    White one is a 3 definitely

Happy to take that one!

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

EVGuy wrote: »
    I think you miss the point entirely - it saves money COMPARED TO an equivalent (and likely much lower) performance ICE car of a similar price.

I.e. if someone wants to buy a BMW M3 or Jaguar F-Pace, Audi S5 etc. anyway, the Tesla will be cheaper overall.

If saving money is your only concern you buy a €200 bicycle which has very low maintance costs too.

Veering off topic again, is there another thread for "general finance and car discussions"?

The Model 3 is not in the same league as the BMW M3 or Audi S car, have you been in one? The build is nowhere near as good nor is the engineering anywhere near as close there is just less to the cabin all round in the Tesla its just one big screen with seats and batteries.

The Model 3 is going up against A4/3 Series, not S5, M3s, any Jaguar you are not spending A4 money here and getting an alternative to a 70K BMW. It might be as quick but its still not the same thing. The fact that there are 200 about to arrive in ROI (ball park) when there are probably 5 BMW M3s and the same S5 or RS5 sold each year proves that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭PaulRyan97

The fact that there are 200 about to arrive in ROI (ball park) when there are probably 5 BMW M3s and the same S5 or RS5 sold each year proves that.

2 RS5, 0 M3s and S5 so far this year according to SIMI stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

The Model 3 is not in the same league as the BMW M3 or Audi S car, have you been in one? The build is nowhere near as good nor is the engineering anywhere near as close there is just less to the cabin all round in the Tesla its just one big screen with seats and batteries.

The Model 3 is going up against A4/3 Series, not S5, M3s, any Jaguar you are not spending A4 money here and getting an alternative to a 70K BMW. It might be as quick but its still not the same thing. The fact that there are 200 about to arrive in ROI (ball park) when there are probably 5 BMW M3s and the same S5 or RS5 sold each year proves that.

Same league in terms of interior, agreed...if u like buttons and crap. The M3 and Audi S are not in the same league as the Model 3, in terms of performance. They are slower...and smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The thing I most like about the model 3, particularly the Performance, is the thought of all the mental breakdowns it must be causing in the civil servants, who have so successfully managed to prevent Irish people acquiring fun levels of performance, those in the UK have taken for granted for decades.

I suspect there must be an ambulance pulling up to Revenue once a fortnight to cart away the latest poor sod tasked with trying to find a way to reconcile the need to encourage and promote low CO2 emission vehicles, with the decades long practice of making cars with any degree of performance, as unaffordable as possible.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken they're geo-fenced, so it won't work unless they have extensive mapping of the area. You can drive on Autopilot almost anywhere, and it will only get better.

The mistake you made is that Waymo aka Google aka Alphabet are the world leaders there is no question about that. It’s not even close.

jusmeig wrote: »
    Same league in terms of interior, agreed...if u like buttons and crap. The M3 and Audi S are not in the same league as the Model 3, in terms of performance. They are slower...and smell.

Teslas are not even close in terms of finish when compared to any German car.

The Model S is worse than than the 3 in fairness to the Model 3. The Model S still has the switch gear from old Mercs.

The Model 3 is no faster than an M3 or RS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TCP/IP wrote: »
    The mistake you made is that Waymo aka Google aka Alphabet are the world leaders there is no question about that. It’s not even close.

World leaders in what? Making bubble cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

The Model S is worse than than the 3 in fairness to the Model 3. The Model S still has the switch gear from old Mercs.

I agree. The was not impressed with the build quality of the model 3. Lots of little annoying things.
    I test drove the m3 recently which was the sr+ model and the performance was similar to my 330e.
    I have an m3 on order but I think if Bmw offered future upgrades the way Tesla do, I’d probably start with Bmw.

ted1 wrote: »
    World leaders in what? Making bubble cars?

Autonomous driving but you know what we are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Autonomous driving but you know what we are talking about.

I thought we were talking about the Model 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

cnocbui wrote: »
    The thing I most like about the model 3, particularly the Performance, is the thought of all the mental breakdowns it must be causing in the civil servants, who have so successfully managed to prevent Irish people acquiring fun levels of performance, those in the UK have taken for granted for decades.

I suspect there must be an ambulance pulling up to Revenue once a fortnight to cart away the latest poor sod tasked with trying to find a way to reconcile the need to encourage and promote low CO2 emission vehicles, with the decades long practice of making cars with any degree of performance, as unaffordable as possible.
    I can imagine the meeting table featuring revenue, the rsa, garda, civil servants in a conference call to Musk pleading with him to fit a 1.2l engine into it to save us from ourselves.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    I thought we were talking about the Model 3.

Yes and a large part of the reason people are purchasing the Model 3 is autonomous driving try and keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

It is yeah, Top gear said so...them lads know everything

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I believe that the Model 3 out accelerates both, in LR AWD form, let alone Performance.

I found this comparison interesting and persuasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

M3P is quicker than 2016 560bhp M5 Upto about 140mph, so I'd say it would give the M3 a hiding on most roads,.......that is if you could get your f#*king hands on one

Lumen wrote: »
    I believe that the Model 3 out accelerates both, in LR AWD form, let alone Performance.

I found this comparison interesting and persuasive.

BMW M3 top speed is 200km h or so? the Tesla 225 kmh or that makes so little difference in real world use, how many people actually go to a track day to use that sort of power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

BMW M3 top speed is 200km h or so? the Tesla 225 kmh or that makes so little difference in real world use, how many people actually go to a track day to use that sort of power!

The BMW M3 top speed is electronically limited to 155mph or 249km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

BMW M3 top speed is 200km h or so?

someone is confusing Miles and Kilometers :-)

... actually the limiter can be set to 280kmh/174mph and with the limiter removed the M3 could be expected to get closer to 200MPH or thereabouts (last gen M5 was 198 IIRC)

of course there is no M3 for the new generation BMW 3-series yet, so all the comparisons being made are to the F80 M3, which is discontinues for a few years now... and much more importantly - the M3 has never been about being fast in a straight line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have a m4 and a model 3p on order
    The m4 is my 3rd m car and my 8th bmw.
    God there is some bollox being spouted on this thread by people who watch too much top gear and pretend to know the preferences of performance car owners.

The model 3 puts the m4 even remapped in the shade for acceleration by a long margin. Also the 4wd makes the acceleration usable. The interior is on a par in quality once you get over the minimalist thing. The model 3p is half the price and 80% less running ccosts. If the new BMW m3 can do 3.2 to 60 I will be amazed given the x4m results. Also the model 3 makes the BMW look stupid and old fashioned.

I keep a e46 m3 for nostalgia I am not immune to the charms of an ice engine. But only a noob can overlook the way things are going.

Eva dont suit all use cases but BMW, Porsche, Audi etc have now.answer at.the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-3-performance-irish-car-192-plate/23050857

Tesla Model 3 Performance Irish Car 192 Plate

"THIS IS A NEW TESLA MODEL 3, PERFORMANCE UPGRADE, LONG RANGE, ALL WHEEL DRIVE, SOLID BLACK PAINT, 20 INCH PERFORMANCE WHEELS, ALL BLACK PREMIUM INTERIOR, AUTOPILOT"

Price

€67,950

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Autopilot is the 6.5k extra? How are they selling it cheaper than list, I thought Tesla don't do discounts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement