Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

EVGuy wrote: »
    It looks like UFO drive think they will have at least one M3 available on the 2nd of October:

https://booking.ufodrive.com/booking?address=6&carModel=T3002&image=0&location=DUBLINCITY1

They have one already, it's just not Irish registered.

http://imgur.com/a/3N2ap9S

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

All this waiting is not good for a body!

If I could find a car even close to the Model 3 I would take delight in cancelling my order, and never be ever tempted to look at this thread ever again- I am almost addicted to the thread as I seek any tiny scrap of news that would bring some realistic information as to where Tesla are hiding my car. However we are the blind leading the blind with some of us in a panic, some full of anger anger and some calm.

I have rejected other available EVs for the following reasons

Kia E Soul looks like a box to me
    Kia E Niro no lumber support
    Hyundai Kona no smart cruise control
    Nissan Leaf multiple charging issues and no CCS
    I am overstretched with the additional loan if I buy the model 3and just can’t afford the more expensive options. I can’t afford the model 3 either but have promised my other half I will keep it for 10 years unless I decorate a tree or another car with it.

Whatever I buy to replace my wonderful Ioniq it has to be a complete EV.

Now the ask! Any suggestions???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

mouthful wrote: »

Be more patient ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

@mouthful That sounds very familiar - except I'm throwing in the kitchen sync for AWD as the % extra cost is not huge so seems worth it if keeping the car for 10+ years and comparing against other similar performance vehicles.

In my case, if I don't the extra ~5k I feel like I may as well get a leaf, the Kona was likewise a no-go due to the lack of ACC.

I feel like I may as well get a leaf, the Kona was likewise a no-go due to the lack of ACC.
    Save yourself 20k and get an e-Niro? It does have ACC.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Save yourself 20k and get an e-Niro? It does have ACC.

But lacks any form of lumbar support- no good for a ould fella doing long journeys who would like to be able to get out of the car without help after a 4 hour journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

But lacks any form of lumbar support- no good for a ould fella doing long journeys who would like to be able to get out of the car without help after a 4 hour journey.

Ould fella doing semi regular 6 hour long journeys here... with serious lumbar spine issues. Lumbar support would normally be essential. I'm also coming from an Ioniq.

It took about a week to get the seat and steering wheel adjustment right in the Niro, but now it's fine. I have the car since the start of July and have done quite a few long runs without issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

@ mouthful - we are all just as frustrated tbh. I myself would never spend 50k on a car normally - but lets be honest here we are doing it coz the car is unlke any others and we are all fanboys of TESLA.

I went into BMW yesterday and asked them just for the laugh what can i get for 50k and the cars are lovely but i cudnt give a F**K about them, hybrids have 35km on them lol and they will cost be a fortune in fuel and maintenance. The way I see it is it's like when iPhone first came out, people were still buying flip phones..... until everyone realised just how important constant updates and improvements can be. It's even more true for a car if you buy a fancy BMW today it literally only gets worse and more out of date everyday, i don't believe this is one-bit tue for Model 3. The current EV under 50k might be practical but my god if im gonna spend 50k on something i better f**king enjoy driving it!!!

Im have set myself a more realistic timeframe of March 2020 so anything before will be a bonus. Don't give up yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The delay is now quite a blessing, I had shoulder surgery last week so no driving for 8 weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rg_lv

All this waiting is not good for a body!

If I could find a car even close to the Model 3 I would take delight in cancelling my order, and never be ever tempted to look at this thread ever again- I am almost addicted to the thread as I seek any tiny scrap of news that would bring some realistic information as to where Tesla are hiding my car. However we are the blind leading the blind with some of us in a panic, some full of anger anger and some calm.

I have rejected other available EVs for the following reasons

Kia E Soul looks like a box to me
    Kia E Niro no lumber support
    Hyundai Kona no smart cruise control
    Nissan Leaf multiple charging issues and no CCS
    I am overstretched with the additional loan if I buy the model 3and just can’t afford the more expensive options. I can’t afford the model 3 either but have promised my other half I will keep it for 10 years unless I decorate a tree or another car with it.

Whatever I buy to replace my wonderful Ioniq it has to be a complete EV.

Its actually a relief to hear there are others in the same boat as me.
    I almost decided on a Kia Soul EV when the model 3 was being delayed in Aug, but the wife hates the shape. We both could live with the interior but the exterior was a no go for her.
    I have gone through so much of options including getting a 20K diesel and buying a model 3 in a years time. But i feel the new budget will make diesel prices drop.
    Looks like UK has surplus of some model 3's (P-) and tesla is now selling them as inventory
    https://tesla-info.com/UK/inventory.html
    It absolutely makes no sense when they can just ship them across and make money.
    I feel the Oct 8 budget will have some major changes in tax/VRT, which should make buying electric cars a lot more attractive in Ireland, when Tesla applied for grants for 300 + cars i believe they would have been told to hold off until the new budget.
    If my theory is correct on Oct 9th we will get a new invoice and a call asking for payment and we will get our cars by early November.
    This is all speculation- but its the simplest explanation i could think of for the delay.

• Advertisement

Yep, I have arthritis in lots of places and also find the Niro's cabin very button laden, the nav screen seems tiny (the dash on my bike is about the same size!) and I would really like a top end sound system, AWD, performance and the autonomy.

I plan to keep the car for 10+ years, I've had the current one for over 15 so I think proportionally to the functionality, the 20k is well spent.

I think an M3 will age much better than the Niro and coming from a high-performance motorcyle I want have that "dead" feeling when switichin to to a car like the M3 versus a Niro or leaf.

Just for fun, I tried to configure an e-niro and got "page not found, the IP adress can't be reached" when clicking on the config button on the .ie web page. Sigh.
    rg_lv wrote: »
    Looks like UK has surplus of some model 3's (P-) and tesla is now selling them as inventory
    https://tesla-info.com/UK/inventory.html
    It absolutely makes no sense when they can just ship them across and make money.

Sheesh, two cars in my exact spec sitting over there on a lot without assignment and I'm sitting here waiting.

What utter nonsense. :(

If they are waiting for the budget they could tell us, they don't need to give any detail or if they have had hints, just "we are concentrating on the UK for now due to Brexit and are hopeful there will be a lower price for those of you waiting when you get the car which we are confident/hopeful will be in November".

That would help a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

We’re at the service station in birdhill and a UK reg Model 3 has pulled in to charge. Fantastic looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

rduggy wrote: »
    @ mouthful - we are all just as frustrated tbh. I myself would never spend 50k on a car normally - but lets be honest here we are doing it coz the car is unlke any others and we are all fanboys of TESLA.

I went into BMW yesterday and asked them just for the laugh what can i get for 50k and the cars are lovely but i cudnt give a F**K about them, hybrids have 35km on them lol and they will cost be a fortune in fuel and maintenance. The way I see it is it's like when iPhone first came out, people were still buying flip phones..... until everyone realised just how important constant updates and improvements can be. It's even more true for a car if you buy a fancy BMW today it literally only gets worse and more out of date everyday, i don't believe this is one-bit tue for Model 3. The current EV under 50k might be practical but my god if im gonna spend 50k on something i better f**king enjoy driving it!!!

Im have set myself a more realistic timeframe of March 2020 so anything before will be a bonus. Don't give up yet

just to add a bit of fact to the discussion, the new-generation BMW F30 330e now available is sub5 sec 0-60, has better 'AutoPilot' and radically better autopark (that actually works and doesn't kerb alloys) than the Tesla does today, is way better built and more luxurious inside and has better (or par) handling and driving experience.

It also has adaptive LED headlights that are a million miles ahead of Tesla's, and you can be reasonably certain about dealer network and accident repair costs.

and it is 8K or so cheaper than a Tesla SR+

Now on the otherhand

1. Tesla's MAY be updated with better software (although new video games does not represent an 'upgrade' to me) in the future, I am not certain whether BMW has that capability.
    2. as a hybrid, the 330e is going to be much more complex to maintain after warranty (which matters for those who are stretched to even afford a Model3)
    3. Mechanical (as opposed to accident) repair costs are presumably going to be much higher for the BMW.
    4. (the dealbreaker for me) there is no BIK advantage to choosing the BMW, whereas the Tesla is hugely supported by the BIK exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

catharsis wrote: »

8K to buy, but has a much higher cost of ownership, between fuel and mechanical parts.

The rest is debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

catharsis wrote: »
    just to add a bit of fact to the discussion, the new-generation BMW F30 330e now available is sub5 sec 0-60, has better 'AutoPilot' and radically better autopark (that actually works and doesn't kerb alloys) than the Tesla does today, is way better built and more luxurious inside and has better (or par) handling and driving experience.

It also has adaptive LED headlights that are a million miles ahead of Tesla's, and you can be reasonably certain about dealer network and accident repair costs.

Now on the otherhand

1. Tesla's MAY be updated with better software (although new video games does not represent an 'upgrade' to me) in the future, I am not certain whether BMW has that capability.
    2. as a hybrid, the 330e is going to be much more complex to maintain after warranty (which matters for those who are stretched to even afford a Model3)
    3. Mechanical (as opposed to accident) repair costs are presumably going to be much higher for the BMW.
    4. (the dealbreaker for me) there is no BIK advantage to choosing the BMW, whereas the Tesla is hugely supported by the BIK exemption.

I dont want to knock BMW tbh I literally have only ever owned BMW's but i honestly feel that once i get a Tesla i will never look back. I have been lucky with my cars only a few issues over the last 10 years but they are so expensive to maintain in fairness. For me to pay more for a car then my mortage literally... i better love it. Im a techie so Tesla wins everyday, think i am their perfect target market to be fair.

I used the configurator to spec up something similar to the TM3 and it came to 58k (well just over 56 if not adding the best headlight option).

No AWD, 300hp vs 450/instant torque and to my eye, it looks much worse than the TM3, I like a short front.
    So taking the 2nd half of your points into account and adding the fact the BMW is still an ICE at heart so more expensive to run on top of the pollution, no thanks. ;)

Agreed that Tesla need to improve auto-park, it will be interesting to see if there is anything on that in V10.

Better headlights are nice to have, but the TM3 at least has pretty good ones in general.

I do like the idea of Netflix and YT etc. being usable when stopped somewhere too. :)

Too much "silver bling" on the inside of the BMW too, that would drive me nuts, at least on the Telsa the horrible chrome (IMO, herself likes it!) is on the outside so you don't see it when driving. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Anyone on this thread saying I am at my limit financially should cancel there order straight away as its madness buying a car no matter what it is when you are at a finance limit.
    Guys it's only a bloody car no matter the make and model don't but yourself at such a financial risk. The question you need to ask is if I lose my job can I pay my car loan for six months with no income coming in if you answer no step away before putting the noose around your neck.
    If you're paying cash do you have at least double the purchase price in savings still left after the car purchase? Be smart people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are not insignificant signs we may be heading into a recession. Not the best time to load yourself with debt. Fine if you are paying cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

There’s a saying round some parts that an old wise billionaire no less once said “if you can’t buy it twice you can’t afford it”.

There’s a saying round some parts that an old wise billionaire no less once said “if you can’t buy it twice you can’t afford it”.

That may be true, but someday I will close to the end of my days, and I do not want to be saying to myself that I missed out on a lot of fun by.buying a car and not a computer on wheels!

So yeah I can’t afford it, and I will be overstretched, and if I lose my job it will be difficult but in between I will be smiling and getting a great buzz from my toy.

If the Tesla yankers delay much longer I will have another thousand saved towards my toy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So passed an English Reg Model 3 on the way past Limerick this morning, then I noticed the Birdhill services so I slowed down and the M3 turned off so I popped in behind to follow up assuming it was going for a supercharge.
    It was :D

Went over to say hello and have a good lookie.
    It was A LOT bigger that what I thought it would be, quite high driving position.
    The screen is a lot bigger than what I thought and much closer to the driver, everything was crystal clear on it. Dash just looked super cool. I would have no problem with the aero wheels.
    Very impressive glass roof. Boot huge, it will not take clubs sideways but it will take them diagonally so happy out.
    Black paint was quite orange peel.
    Owned by an elderly couple, they were quite used to all the queries and people coming over to ask questions etc.

Super car

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

That may be true, but someday I will close to the end of my days, and I do not want to be saying to myself that I missed out on a lot of fun by.buying a car and not a computer on wheels!

So yeah I can’t afford it, and I will be overstretched, and if I lose my job it will be difficult but in between I will be smiling and getting a great buzz from my toy.

If the Tesla yankers delay much longer I will have another thousand saved towards my toy!

But you have ordered a computer on wheels.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Anyone on this thread saying I am at my limit financially should cancel there order straight away.

Your point/sentiment is valid, but when I say I am at my financial limit, that is still with leaving a "safety net" or buffer. i.e. I can still survive fine, I just won't have any spare cash for any other "luxury item" e.g. house updates/holidays etc. The plan is to use the car for holidays and the fuel savings pay for hotels etc.

I can still eat and survive (pay the bills) for a good while with no job.

Plus, in an absolute emergency it could be sold off, even losing 50% in a year (which would be utterly painful) would liquidate money to live on for quite some time if needed.

On the flip side, if buying the car puts you in debt and would mean an instant sale if suddenly out of work, then yes, it's probably not a good idea.

As mouthful says, I don't want to miss out by buying "just a car" instead of this tech wonder. To me, at my age/stage of life/health it makes more sense than just buying a box on wheels. Even if I end up selling it in a year, I plan to get lots of enjoyment while I can.

On top of that, as we get older it may be harder to drive due to various health conditions, so if FSD (L4 or 5) happens in the next few years, it may be the only way to be fully independant for some people versus needed to be chauferred - public transport isn't always an option either.

Everyone's case is likely different and lots of factors need to be weighed up.

There's always the option of renting out the house and living "car life" (van life). :)

We might even be up for a bit of taxi driving and then robo-taxi. :)

FSD and Tesla robo taxis are simply not happening. The promotion of the prospect of these amounts to financial fraud.

I've regretted buying fancy cars but never regretted buying fun cars.

cnocbui wrote: »
    FSD and Tesla robo taxis are simply not happening. The promotion of the prospect of these amounts to financial fraud.

Proof?

Your point/sentiment is valid, but when I say I am at my financial limit, that is still with leaving a "safety net" or buffer. i.e. I can still survive fine, I just won't have any spare cash for any other "luxury item" e.g. house updates/holidays etc. The plan is to use the car for holidays and the fuel savings pay for hotels etc.

I can still eat and survive (pay the bills) for a good while with no job.

Plus, in an absolute emergency it could be sold off, even losing 50% in a year (which would be utterly painful) would liquidate money to live on for quite some time if needed.

On the flip side, if buying the car puts you in debt and would mean an instant sale if suddenly out of work, then yes, it's probably not a good idea.

As mouthful says, I don't want to miss out by buying "just a car" instead of this tech wonder. To me, at my age/stage of life/health it makes more sense than just buying a box on wheels. Even if I end up selling it in a year, I plan to get lots of enjoyment while I can.

On top of that, as we get older it may be harder to drive due to various health conditions, so if FSD (L4 or 5) happens in the next few years, it may be the only way to be fully independant for some people versus needed to be chauferred - public transport isn't always an option either.

Everyone's case is likely different and lots of factors need to be weighed up.

There's always the option of renting out the house and living "car life" (van life). :)

We might even be up for a bit of taxi driving and then robo-taxi. :)

You can’t afford this car based on what you are saying. Insane purchase don’t make the mistake of thinking you can for the love of god. I don’t care what you purchase just trying to give you finance advice. It is just a car don’t make a mistake and think otherwise. House and holidays are important not a bloody car, think what you are saying.

Proof?

navigant_av_ldrbrd_2019_insert.jpghttps://www.sae.org/news/2019/03/2019-navigant-autonomous-leaderboard

A robo taxi requires level 5 automation. Tesla are not going from near last place L2 to first place L5 in less than a year. Musk claimed 1M Tesla robo-taxies by the end of 2020. That is simply not going to happen.

Musk himself was acknowledging the difficulties only last year, and then just a few month later, he's lying his face off and committing financial fraud.
    Elon Musk, who claimed in October 2016 that his firm Tesla would reach full autonomy in 2017, later said in October 2018 that it’s “extremely difficult to achieve a general solution for self-driving that works well everywhere.”
    “There is now a broad recognition that AVs are not going to take over the world in the near term (3-5 years) but will instead be limited to very specific use cases,” Abuelsamid says. “There is also a recognition level 5 automation (that is automation that can operate anywhere and in any weather conditions) is unlikely until at least the late 2020s and likely much later than that.”
    https://www.inverse.com/article/52528-a-tale-of-two-autonomous-driving-timelines-detroit-auto-show-vs-ces

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭goob20s

cnocbui wrote: »
    You shouldn't underestimate Elon and his team with all he's done so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I used the configurator to spec up something similar to the TM3 and it came to 58k (well just over 56 if not adding the best headlight option).

That doesn't include the grants so you can knock off 7500 off that price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement