Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

bdogg wrote: »
    They are miles ahead of any autos who currently have to oursource all their battery manufacture - this is why they can't get price and supply sorted.

As per my previous post - this competitive advantage won't last long:
    https://electrek.co/2019/09/23/volkswagen-battery-cell-production-electric-cars-pilot-line/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

wcooba wrote: »
    As per my previous post - this competitive advantage won't last long:
    https://electrek.co/2019/09/23/volkswagen-battery-cell-production-electric-cars-pilot-line/

Call me skeptical, but when it comes to promises from VW, I'll take it with a pinch of salt. Talk is cheap. It's easy to build prototypes and small runs. Volume manufacture is where none of the big autos have ever gone with electric.

There is a Tesla battery and powertrain investor day coming up soon which will be interesting to see how close the pack are to Tesla. Maxwell capacitor acquisition and new electrolyte chemistry for a 1 million mile battery using existing cells rumoured from recent patents filed.

Anyway, back to topic - Model 3! Friday delivery person - very jealous! Happy motoring and throw up a few pics please!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s half the price for a reason there is way less involved to make it.

Far from it. The M3P has a lot of R&D to pay back. New factories to pay for.

The others are from brands they have been building variants of the car for the past 40+ years

True but in terms of what went into it there’s not much bar the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

s8n wrote: »
    Picking up on Friday

So lucky! So who did you go with for insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

True but in terms of what went into it there’s not much bar the software.

Where do you get that idea from? Their motors alone are ahead of the competition and must have taken a lot to develop.

Go and watch a few Sandy Munroe videos about the topic and come back to us and let us know if you still think that, look at the "super bottle" specifically.

In addition, the software is absolutely critical, the battery management is software - these cars require good software, it's not optional and software takes a lot of work to make too.

Anyway, this is going off topic again - is this why V1 of the thread was closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,132 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lumen wrote: »
    Tesla is too expensive for that. The market cap is $43bn.

That's nothing. Apple could pay that in cash, pay back the Irish tax payer the €13 bn we are owed in cash, and still have over $100bn in cash left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

unkel wrote: »
    That's nothing. Apple could pay that in cash, pay back the Irish tax payer the €13 bn we are owed in cash, and still have over $100bn in cash left.

Apple topped out at nearly $300bn in cash before the buy backs and repatriation tax breaks under Trump. So at Tesla’s highest rice circa Dec 2018 Apple could had bought them 5 times over. I think Alphabet is the most cash rich company now due to Apple’s reductions.

EVGuy wrote: »
    Where do you get that idea from? Their motors alone are ahead of the competition and must have taken a lot to develop.

Go and watch a few Sandy Munroe videos about the topic and come back to us and let us know if you still think that, look at the "super bottle" specifically.

In addition, the software is absolutely critical, the battery management is software - these cars require good software, it's not optional and software takes a lot of work to make too.

Anyway, this is going off topic again - is this why V1 of the thread was closed?

I'm getting it from the fact that the Model 3 is one or two turbines with some software and four wheels thats all no big deal in that.

Just saying there is a lot less going on with a model 3 than an ICE car and in particular a high end one theres way less engineering gone into them bar the software. Its why they are cheap for what you get I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I'm getting it from the fact that the Model 3 is one or two turbines with some software and four wheels thats all no big deal in that.

Turbines, what u smokin junior?
    One or two turbines, which is still faster than the BMW M3 and Audi RS. Ohhhhh

Do you have experiance of either of these cars?

S8N congratulations...look forward to some pics.

Not the M3 or RS4 end but plenty of normal Audi, Mercedes and BMWs, I don't have to have driven them anyway I was speaking about the interiors! the point I am making is the Model 3 is pushing people here into finance/spending cash they cannot really afford on the basis of the model 3 being a life changing piece of technology - a BMW M3 or RS4 for half price - and that it will save them "a fortune"...which is rubbish.

• Advertisement

jusmeig wrote: »
    Turbines, what u smokin junior?
    One or two turbines, which is still faster than the BMW M3 and Audi RS. Ohhhhh

OK motors then so same difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just saying there is a lot less going on with a model 3 than an ICE car and in particular a high end one theres way less engineering gone into them bar the software. Its why they are cheap for what you get I suppose.
    You are clearly trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Sorry now your a total waffler. Just because you think something in your head does not make it true. The tech in a tesla is immense, the battery and motor efficiency and weight are leagues ahead of the competition, the Halbach array orientation is very optimised and cannot be reversed engineered.

Just because you dont know anything about it doesnt mean there is nothing there.

You are clearly trolling

No I'm not. Is it not true that is what goes into an electric car Motors and Batteries.

Sorry now your a total waffler. Just because you think something in your head does not make it true. The tech in a tesla is immense, the battery and motor efficiency and weight are leagues ahead of the competition, the Halbach array orientation is very optimised and cannot be reversed engineered.

Just because you dont know anything about it doesnt mean there is nothing there.

The Tech is good but its software, motors and batteries I get that they are way ahead of everyone right now but at a basic level that is what goes into the car.

That is a fact call that waffle if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The Tech is good but its software, motors and batteries I get that they are way ahead of everyone right now but at a basic level that is what goes into the car.

Well it would be a bit stupid if it had a ICE engine wouldnt it....you are a troll.

Well it would be a bit stupid if it had a ICE engine wouldnt it....you are a troll.

I'm not a troll at all just because someone doesn't agree with you or have the same viewpoint on this is clearly upsetting you fanboys or whatever you call yourselves.

This thread was going into the topic of people who could not afford to buy these cars and are still going ahead with it. Thats my interest in this, people buying a 50K car for the first time that never bought new before because of the tech in this car.

Petrol , spark plugs and pistons. Is an ICE any difference?

Petrol , spark plugs and pistons. Is an ICE any difference?

Look thats not what I am interested in here at all (I've a limited enough knowledge of what actually makes a Tesla go as proven above in the nicest way by a couple of people), my interest is really more what I have posted above.

This is still just a car at the end of the day and people are going to go broke getting them by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Look thats not what I am interested in here at all (I've a limited enough knowledge of what actually makes a Tesla go as proven above in the nicest way by a couple of people), my interest is really more what I have posted above.

This is still just a car at the end of the day and people are going to go broke getting them by the looks of it.

I’m sure people are buying them because they are considering a car in the price range already.

Why spend 50k on a 520d if a Tesla M3 can be got?

• Advertisement

So buy a Dacia...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I'm not a troll at all just because someone doesn't agree with you or have the same viewpoint on this is clearly upsetting you fanboys or whatever you call yourselves.

This thread was going into the topic of people who could not afford to buy these cars and are still going ahead with it. Thats my interest in this, people buying a 50K car for the first time that never bought new before because of the tech in this car.

Your ignorance does not exclude you from being a troll I am afraid.

kceire wrote: »
    I’m sure people are buying them because they are considering a car in the price range already.

Why spend 50k on a 520d if a Tesla M3 can be got?

I hope so.
    So buy a Dacia...

I'm planning on buying a Tesla.

krissovo wrote: »
    Your ignorance does not exclude you from being a troll I am afraid.

I'd not meant to offend anyone the thread was gone onto the topic of affordability which is a fair enough topic to be honest with this car in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Think this thread is getting off topic. Can we get back to stalking maritime traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Think this thread is getting off topic. Can we get back to stalking maritime traffic?

Agreed , wasting all our time reading some recent posts

eddhorse wrote: »
    Agreed , wasting all our time reading some recent posts

Time waits for no man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I'd not meant to offend anyone the thread was gone onto the topic of affordability which is a fair enough topic to be honest with this car in particular.

Ok then to give you the benefit of doubt, in summary Tesla while it may appear simple with a Battery > Battery management > Motor > Power output what they have done with the M3 is bring the technology up to the next level.

Batteries - Tesla has the highest power density output by size. Example if you compare the size of say two leaf 30kwh batteries with the Tesla 60kwh it would be much smaller & efficient. A good example is the I3 which also has a good battery, it started with a ~22kwh battery in 2015 but now in the same space has doubled in output to ~40kwh with only a small increase in weight.

The motors in the M3 are are “permanent magnet motors” rather than using induction (lots of windings) so do not need an electric “excitor” and therefor efficient but pack a punch.

Battery management - in short fast charging. Tesla with their new supper chargers are approaching speeds that could be considered as catching up with filling up with petrol. 75 miles in 5 mins for the V3 charger (250kw) which is 4 times faster than a leaf, Kia & I3, 2x faster than Audi.

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Apple topped out at nearly $300bn in cash before the buy backs and repatriation tax breaks under Trump. So at Tesla’s highest rice circa Dec 2018 Apple could had bought them 5 times over. I think Alphabet is the most cash rich company now due to Apple’s reductions.

I'd say Alphabet have no interest in buying Tesla. That said, they should have done so 10 years ago :p

• Advertisement

mondello need to install a supercharger :D

They must be listening. Tesla just installed a supercharger at the Nürburgring this week :cool:

EEw-yqcWwAIE_Mi?format=jpg&name=900x900

I bet you are already planning a trip over there in your Model 3 P :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement