Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yeah, a supercharger powered by diesel generator. Tesla, saving the planet, one lie at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

That’s a temporary charger, never seen pallet fork slots on a permanent charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yeah, a supercharger powered by diesel generator. Tesla, saving the planet, one lie at a time.

In Germany, a lot of electricity is still generated from coal fired plants. Here in Ireland, your car is very inefficiently powered by fossil fuel causing lots of harmful emissions. Don't ask what your country or a company has done for you. Ask what you have done to combat extreme climate change. Have you done anything yet?

I have. Most of my hot water is heated by the sun. I produce more electricity for general use than I consume*. Again by the sun. I changed my family car from a gas guzzler to a pure EV.

*apart from my EV, which is exclusively charged at the night rate, where electricity production is highly renewable, up to 75% and rising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

OK motors then so same difference.

No it's not the same difference, they are completely different things...but I'm.not so sure that matters to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

OK motors then so same difference.

So why bother posting here if you have nothing of value to contribute? Stop spamming the thread. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭traco

Looking for ward to seeing some on the roads, I was in Brighton last week and spotted 2 or 3 on the roads. Blue and red and the looked well in traffic compared with the usual stuff.

Nice to see them in an environment more like our own as I've only seen them in the US so far where SUV is king and they dwarf the 3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What have you done to help with Climate Change?
    I suppose your home and car are powered by fairy dust........

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you sure it’s powered by a diesel generator.
    It’s permanent.

It’s also for use around a race track. I dint think it’s any ones intention to save the planet by racing around it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Yes its a temp supercharger for the plaid power train testing there last week. Much more likely ionity will install one there...faster too. Yes its on a genny....pointing that out makes me think people dont know how electricity is generated...maybe its like having to butcher you own meat.

It does give people oppertunity of try forget that a model s plaid did a 7.20 lap....with tweeks they think a 7.05 is possible and the roadster on the plaid powertrain will be the fastest car the world has ever seen..

So when Tesla are winning on the environment say they dont perform on the track and when the are performing on the track say they are not good for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,048 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you sure it’s powered by a diesel generator.
    It’s permanent.
    I've tried to work out the answer but failed.

This is Elon we're talking about. "Permanent" might mean that the chargers are staying but the generator will be replaced with a proper high voltage connection. And it doesn't mean "public" either. I think I read that there's a fast charger going in just down the road.

In any case, it doesn't really matter. Tesla did what was necessary to gather the data required for developing the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,048 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It does give people oppertunity of try forget that a model s plaid did a 7.20 lap....with tweeks they think a 7.05 is possible and the roadster on the plaid powertrain will be the fastest car the world has ever seen..
    I think these times need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Was it a full lap or BTG? I don't know. I'll believe it when I see the in-car camera footage.

The Taycan time isn't "official" either.

Tesla's mostly American audience doesn't really understand the Nordschleife. I've seen a few Youtubers call it the "Nuremburg Ring". Ouch!

Yes its a temp supercharger for the plaid power train testing there last week. Much more likely ionity will install one there...faster too. Yes its on a genny....pointing that out makes me think people dont know how electricity is generated...maybe its like having to butcher you own meat.

So when Tesla are winning on the environment say they dont perform on the track and when the are performing on the track say they are not good for the environment.

Elon said it’s permanent. I’d like to see the roadster do an official lap. But to be honest as the limits are 120kmh in Ireland. I have little interest in what production cats can do.

I was in the Middle East last week and there was lots of supercars moving slowly along the sea front and an EV will never sound as good as the roar from a finely tuned beast of an ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lumen wrote: »
    I think these times need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Indeed. I personally only tend to pay attention to independently timed laps of fully roadworthy standard production cars (without any modifications)

That said, we have some nice competition going on here. Tesla Roadster 2 is bound to be the fastest car the world has ever seen and it should be a good bit quicker than a 2.5 ton 7 seater around the track :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was in the Middle East last week and there was lots of supercars moving slowly along the sea front and an EV will never sound as good as the roar from a finely tuned beast of an ICE.

And isn't it great. Who wants to hear some moron loudly rev their engine spoiling everyone else's peace and quiet at a sea front.

bk wrote: »
    And isn't it great. Who wants to hear some moron loudly rev their engine spoiling everyone else's peace and quiet at a sea front.

Better than listening to the call for pray ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The Abu Dhabi Corniche? Fair enough for an organized rally or meet but the feckers who think its great craic to blip their v6,8,12 every 10 seconds really spoils the beauty of the place. The Lamborghini roar in the evening is nice but during a Saturday its just “white noise” after a while.

krissovo wrote: »
    The Abu Dhabi Corniche? .
    Nope, Muscat

Seeing a single Ferrari go by is fun and exciting....seeing them everywhere, revving and popping is just a drone. If you ever go to the cannonball you realise how boring it gets after 5 minutes. If I am not driving I really have no interest, its just watching people more successful than me flex and bray for attention.

So, they sent two. One broke down, the other had to go for a long nap after..........

Seeing a single Ferrari go by is fun and exciting....seeing them everywhere, revving and popping is just a drone. If you ever go to the cannonball you realise how boring it gets after 5 minutes. If I am not driving I really have no interest, its just watching people more successful than me flex and bray for attention.

You’d enjoy the Middle East then, the guys who drive them aren’t successful, it’s all family/oil money ;)

• Advertisement

So, they sent two. One broke down, the other had to go for a long nap after..........

That’s what happens during testing.... test the limits of new designs and then redesign/ fine tune.

Unless they are production versions , there’s nothing to see...

If you know anything about the Nurburgring nordschleife you know that nothing unusual for any car. Hell thats why they send two cars, or three or four. Even production cars driven for timed laps by pro drivers can be pushed well beyond any reasonable design limits, Nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

Ah....remember the good old days when this thread was about the Tesla Model 3.....seems so long ago now....:p;):p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you know anything about the Nurburgring nordschleife you know that nothing unusual for any car. Hell thats why they send two cars, or three or four. Even production cars driven for timed laps by pro drivers can be pushed well beyond any reasonable design limits, Nice try though.

Could you please provide some examples of these frequent breakdowns by . other manufacturers attempting records.

I'd also like links for these production cars pushed well beyond their design limits. Did they break in half from the G forces - did wheels fall off because of because suspension components failed?

Could you please provide some examples of these frequent breakdowns by . other manufacturers attempting records.

I'd also like links for these production cars pushed well beyond their design limits. Did they break in half from the G forces - did wheels fall off because of because suspension components failed?

Here is two, didnt want to have to go all the way to the second page of a google search. Nice try again. As for production cars, there is a full time tow truck at the ring....ask them, they are plenty busy. Brakes lock up, fluids boil, engines overheats, tires blow, suspension breaks, electronics fail, gear boxes blow up...you name it, it fails especially when you drive flat out for 10-15 minutes around a massive high speed track. If you ever watch motor-racing you see that even purpose built track cars are prone to a failure or two. Its part of the fun.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/NyorM/s1/2015-6108442017-hyundai-equus-spy-photo1.jpg

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/2020-porsche-911-gt3-test-car-breaks-down-in-the-middle-of-a-ring-session/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Got this today for the dashcam - one to add to the stack of accessories awaiting the car!

0z3hD0H.jpg

ohikqli.jpg

oUDvKuO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

bdogg wrote: »
    Got this today for the dashcam - one to add to the stack of accessories awaiting the car!

I bought a raspberry pi to be able to upload the footage to my server, any link to the buying page for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

krissovo wrote: »
    The motors in the M3 are are “permanent magnet motors” rather than using induction (lots of windings) so do not need an electric “excitor” and therefor efficient but pack a punch.

Isn't the front motor on the AWD ones induction so you don't get the (small) lag the PM ones have?

In the S and X Raven they do the opposite, PM up front for economy and induction in the rear for performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

bdogg wrote: »

0z3hD0H.jpg

ohikqli.jpg

oUDvKuO.jpg

Looks good, I've heard good things about the Jeda accessories. I'm holding off on getting mine (hard drive etc) until we have a bit of clarity when it comes to a delivery date.

• Advertisement

Would you not be better with a long life CF rather than an SSD....TRIM issues and reliability on a SSD for such an ammount of writes would worry me. A simple MicroSD to USB adapter with a SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring Card is more reliable...SSD's are not designed for Video monitoring or NAS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement