Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I seen that. I could only laugh at it.

Marler was being an idiot at the lineout to I noticed and did I see Sinkler waving his arms when Cooney was taking a kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    McBurney is class. Really abrasive.

Don’t know who started the ruckus after his try but it could well have been him.

McBurney could start a row in an empty room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »
    You have to ask whether Gilly is doing enough to be ahead of Bobby B. I thought Gilroy slipped off one or two tackles today. As I said pre match Balacoune maybe doesn't have enough rugby under his belt this season.

Thought Treadwell did well from the bench. Also credit to Faddes. He was only on the pitch briefly but that was his best effort to date. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Also agree Re. Gilroy, think Baloucoune should start, but Gilroy’s experience and B’s match fitness is keeping him back. Baloucoune just seems so natural and his work rate if he makes a defensive mistake is unreal!

In fairness to O’Connor he has gone up a gear this season. always thought Treadwell would be a head of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

mfceiling wrote: »
    McBurney could start a row in an empty room.

A lot has been said about his temperament, attitude etc, but I'm just glad we seem to have a decent young hooker that can throw a good lineout and throw himself about in open play. At least the coaches finally seem to have the confidence to give him minutes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

A lot has been said about his temperament, attitude etc, but I'm just glad we seem to have a decent young hooker that can throw a good lineout and throw himself about in open play. At least the coaches finally seem to have the confidence to give him minutes now.

It may have been his temperament holding him back in the past. To me he has a lot of good attributes. He is a good thrower, he is a dynamic ball carrier and he looks to be very good at the breakdown as well.

I haven't seen him enough of him defensively and I haven't a clue how strong his scrummaging is. He isn't the biggest guy in the world either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

So... Roddy, then. Couldn't find stats on the Euro Rugby homepage, but it feels to me like our lineout has really found its feet in the last few weeks. Think quite a few of our wins are due to nuts and bolts setpiece improvements.

So... Roddy, then. Couldn't find stats on the Euro Rugby homepage, but it feels to me like our lineout has really found its feet in the last few weeks. Think quite a few of our wins are due to nuts and bolts setpiece improvements.

I thought we were in for a long year when the cheetahs picked out lineout apart. Maul has looked very usable as well recently.

The lineout has been good, it's heresey to say it but we have better lineout throwers this season!

The lineout has been good, it's heresey to say it but we have better lineout throwers this season!

Och, I know what you're getting at, but our lineout has been very poor before with Herring throwing. And there was a lot of very apparent miscommunication.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Maul has looked very usable as well recently.

Maul has definitely improved from Dan took over.

• Advertisement

Och, I know what you're getting at, but our lineout has been very poor before with Herring throwing. And there was a lot of very apparent miscommunication.

Henderson has got better at calling the lineout as well, plus Carter may have had some input. It is noticeable to see Roddy working with the pack in the warm ups though so I'm sure he's had a big impact.

Ulster injury update:
    https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2019/12/squad-update-10-dec-2019/
    Baloucoune is injured so won't play this weekend, and I'm going to pretend that's why he wasn't selected ahead of Gilroy in our last game. He was definitely holding his leg a few times in his first game back against the scarlets, no luck that boy.

No mention of Coetzee being injured or anyone else who went off. Probably the same team as before, then there's a question of who gets rested for which interpro.

Ulster injury update:
    https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2019/12/squad-update-10-dec-2019/
    Baloucoune is injured so won't play this weekend, and I'm going to pretend that's why he wasn't selected ahead of Gilroy in our last game. He was definitely holding his leg a few times in his first game back against the scarlets, no luck that boy.

No mention of Coetzee being injured or anyone else who went off. Probably the same team as before, then there's a question of who gets rested for which interpro.

I think everyone will be rested for Leinster away, which devalues it a lot, but what choice do they have with three Inter Pros in 2 weeks sandwiched inbetween 4 European pool matches.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think everyone will be rested for Leinster away, which devalues it a lot, but what choice do they have with three Inter Pros in 2 weeks sandwiched inbetween 4 European pool matches.

I'm sure the IRFU will have it all worked out. Ulster instructed to send the B team to Dublin, Leinster instructed not to pick too strong a team so it sort of looks like a competitive fixture for a while.

The whole thing is a big charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Ulster:

15. Jacob Stockdale
    14. Matt Faddes
    13. Luke Marshall
    12. Stuart McCloskey
    11. Louis Ludik
    10. Billy Burns
    9. John Cooney

1. Eric O’Sullivan
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Marty Moore
    4. Kieran Treadwell
    5. Iain Henderson (captain)
    6. Sean Reidy
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. Marcell Coetzee

Replacements:

16. Adam McBurney
    17. Andrew Warwick
    18. Tom O’Toole
    19. Alan O’Connor
    20. Matthew Rea
    21. David Shanahan
    22. Bill Johnston
    23. Craig Gilroy

Harlequins:

15. Ross Chisholm
    14. Vereniki Goneva
    13. James Lang
    12. Francis Saili
    11. Cadan Murley
    10. Brett Herron
    9. Martin Landajo

1. Santiago Garcia Botta
    2. Elia Elia
    3. Kyle Sinckler (captain)
    4. Stephan Lewies
    5. Tevita Cavubati
    6. Will Evans
    7. Semi Kunatani
    8. Alex Dombrandt

Replacements:

16. Jack Musk
    17. Nick Auterac
    18. Simon Kerrod
    19. Dino Lamb
    20. James Chisholm
    21. Niall Saunders
    22. Paul Lasike
    23. Travis Ismaiel

Seems to be a weakened Harlequins team, hopefully Ulster can come away with the win!

Coaches a little bit ruthless with Gilroy there, good to see. Interesting they went for Stockdale at Fullback instead of Faddes. All in all we have a stronger team, and honestly I think we should be targeting four tries if we want to have a shot at the knockout stages.

Brett Herein? Yikes.

Just read over the Harlequins team properly again and woah, they are pretty much throwing it aren't they? They had a lot of players injured to start with, but they're also resting Ibitoye, Smith, Robshaw, Marler and Care.

Off topic, but given our recent problems at scrumhalf Niall Saunders on the Harleqiuns bench could be an option in the future. Thought he was very good in limited game time for Ireland u20's a couple of years ago. He signed a two year deal with Harlequins recently but was in talks with us as well, so hopefully he might keep us in mind. If UAFC is to be believed then Stewart might be leaving at the end of the season, so our scrumhalf depth is going to be tested to say the least..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is that THEE Brett Herron?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Yep. Left Ulster, went to Jersey and signed for Quins this year. They are putting a weak team out, big opportunity for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Would prefer Ludik at fb. Stockdale on the wing. Big opportunity for a win. Quins throwing in the towel?
    Hopefully a big Ulster victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Herron's actually gone alright in the games he's played for Quins this season at 10. I mean it's definitely a weakend side and he's no match for Smith, but he's nowhere near as bad as he was for Ulster.

Also -

Ulster A team to play Connacht Eagles, Friday 13th December, Galwegians RFC (2pm kick-off):

(15-9) Ethan McIlroy, Luke Pollock, Hayden Hyde, Stewart Moore, Conor Rankin, Bruce Houston, Lewis Finlay.

(1-8) Callum Reid, Tom Stewart, Peter Cooper, Matthew Dalton, Jack Regan, Joe Dunleavy, David McCann (Capt.), Azur Allison.

Replacements: Zack McCall, George Saunderson, Paul Mullen, Conor McMenamin, Matthew Agnew, Nathan Doak, Greg Hutley, Ben Moxham, Ben Power.

Pretty tasty A team

Stewart Moore, Tom Stewart and David McCann would be the most talented for me. Reid, McIlroy and Allison would be the others to watch out for I think. Quite a few of those lads might've thought they would be seeing provincial derby time in the pro14 at this stage, and will really want to be showing some improvement this year if they're to push for a senior contract.

Ben Moxham is an interesting inclusion. I've only seen a little of him, but he's a fairly big lad for a centre and he looked decent in limited time. Wanted to see more of him but he's had a few injury problems I believe, as is the Ulster way. Still only u19.

Just read over the Harlequins team properly again and woah, they are pretty much throwing it aren't they? They had a lot of players injured to start with, but they're also resting Ibitoye, Smith, Robshaw, Marler and Care.

Off topic, but given our recent problems at scrumhalf Niall Saunders on the Harleqiuns bench could be an option in the future. Thought he was very good in limited game time for Ireland u20's a couple of years ago. He signed a two year deal with Harlequins recently but was in talks with us as well, so hopefully he might keep us in mind. If UAFC is to be believed then Stewart might be leaving at the end of the season, so our scrumhalf depth is going to be tested to say the least..

They really did back the wrong horse in Jonny Stewart.

Stewart Moore, Tom Stewart and David McCann would be the most talented for me. Reid, McIlroy and Allison would be the others to watch out for I think. Quite a few of those lads might've thought they would be seeing provincial derby time in the pro14 at this stage, and will really want to be showing some improvement this year if they're to push for a senior contract.

Ben Moxham is an interesting inclusion. I've only seen a little of him, but he's a fairly big lad for a centre and he looked decent in limited time. Wanted to see more of him but he's had a few injury problems I believe, as is the Ulster way. Still only u19.

Missing Marcus Rea as well. Nathan Doak has already been training with seniors.

Missing Marcus Rea as well. Nathan Doak has already been training with seniors.

Doak might’ve been training with the seniors because we might not have a third choice scrumhalf next year. Thought he went quite well in the summer for the A’s in fairness but throws the occasional howler of a pass. Still in school so it’s to be expected.

• Advertisement

Some of them may be involved against Leinster next week. Moore would be someone I'd be keen to see get a game and McCann as well, although McCann is still pretty young, especially for a forward.

Advertisement