Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

bilston wrote: »
    Stronger than I expected. Should be good enough for the win.

I guess the view is get the points on the board early this season so we aren't scrambling come April/May and can therefore rotate a bit more for what we hope will be some knockout rugby.

Especially with the cheetahs looking dangerous this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Sexton and Hughes havent made sevens panel unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Sexton and Hughes havent made sevens panel unfortunately.

Graham Curtis another one who doesn’t make it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Was not expecting such a strong side. McCloskey will be flogged soon. Great to see Gilroy in the side.David O Connor on the bench! I was hoping to see Regan or Dalton!

Very strong team but unsurprising imo. Ulster have momentum at the moment and Scarlets are a top team. Should be a good game, will be double screening this and Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Big Chance for Bill Johnson to step up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Big Chance for Bill Johnson to step up

Yeah, he is the person I'm looking forward to seeing tonight. It's also important that he gets to play with Cooney.

I'm also hoping a couple of weeks break will have done Faddes some good.

Fingers crossed Coetzee gets through the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hope Johnson goes well, he deserves a chance to get a run in Pro14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

One way traffic atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This on TV? which channel?

• Advertisement

Baloucoune has been down and holding his knee a few times. Him, Treadwell and Coetzee all going well right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

TBP get them all off

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This on TV? which channel?

I'm watching on premier sports 1

It's been a great half, but it's basically a 3rd string Scarlets. Starting to look really disjointed at times, so I'd like us to shore that up without taking the foot off the gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Bill Johnston's Passing is so crisp and well timed, always hits the right man

Shouldn't that be a penalty against the Scarlet player?

Baloucoune with MOTM. There's a mischievous god somewhere conspiring to never let him and Lyttle be fit at the same time.

On a more serious note, that was a poor second half collectively. Thought we played some nice rugby, but we've got to be more clinical.

5 points, no injuries - I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

5 points, no injuries - I'll take it.

Ludik went off injured.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ludik went off injured.

FFS!! Was following it online.

So we're down to Faddes, Gilroy or Stockdale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

FFS!! Was following it online.

So we're down to Faddes, Gilroy or Stockdale.

I don't know how serious it was. he looked uncomfortable.

I don't know how serious it was. he looked uncomfortable.

Looked more like a precautionary thing to me, but yes he had a slight hobble going off.
    Fingers crossed he's ok, has been in terrific form last match and this one too be fair.

Ludik went off injured.

Moore may have gone off injured. Although he looked ok when he went off, but had been receiving treatment.

The second half was absolute dirt. The first half was just very clinical. But we should have won that game by 50 points.

Still 5 points in the main thing.

Balacoune was excellent. He is just a very good rugby player. We are spoilt with our four frontline wingers. Johnston is a nice passer, although I wonder if we overdid the miss pass tonight.

Treadwell was also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

A back three next week of 15 Gilroy, 14 Balacoune, 11 Stockdale or maybe Faddes will play fullback.

mogwai81 wrote: »
    A back three next week of 15 Gilroy, 14 Balacoune, 11 Stockdale or maybe Faddes will play fullback.

I wouldn't be over keen on Gilroy at fullback. If Ludik is fit, he probably starts somewhere - he's been excellent under the high ball for a few weeks now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Balacoune was class.

Faddes got 2 tries but I am still unconvinced by him.

Johnson did well, but he needs to go to the line more. Too many passes way behind the gain line which doesn't threaten anything.

The pack ate them up in the first half though.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

I wouldn't be over keen on Gilroy at fullback. If Ludik is fit, he probably starts somewhere - he's been excellent under the high ball for a few weeks now.

Ludik was my MOTM.

Me too. I got it into my head Ludik was injured for some reason.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Was not expecting such a strong side. McCloskey will be flogged soon. Great to see Gilroy in the side.David O Connor on the bench! I was hoping to see Regan or Dalton!

Fair point regarding McCloskey. If he plays both games against Harlequins, he'll have played six games in a row. Tough going for someone who carries some much ball for Ulster.
    I would love to see him involved with Ireland but it's of real benefit to Ulster that he isn't. Probably wouldn't be allowed to play so many games continuously if he was playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Balacoune was class.

Faddes got 2 tries but I am still unconvinced by him.

Johnson did well, but he needs to go to the line more. Too many passes way behind the gain line which doesn't threaten anything.

The pack ate them up in the first half though.

Johnston is definitely an upgrade on McPhillips, who to be fair had his moments, particularly the tail end of the horrendous 2017/18 season. He is very vocal and not afraid to get stuck in either. Give it a couple of years and he could turn out to be our best signing this year.

What to make of Faddes? I suppose he didn't do anything wrong last night, which itself is an improvement, he seems.tonhave a nose for the line. He still has some way to go but last night was better from him.

Advertisement