Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

Get. In.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

McCloskey has to be in contention for Ireland. Still has errors to his game but he's relentless here and central to Ulsters lead.

Who would he replace in the squad?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Who would he replace in the squad?

Like everyone else he would become an option for selection. I just think he's a more realistic option than he was 2-3 seasons ago when he seemed to be discounted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Like everyone else he would become an option for selection. I just think he's a more realistic option than he was 2-3 seasons ago when he seemed to be discounted.

Yes he is an option but unless injuries I think Ireland has better options.....

Incredible tap tackle from Marler. Exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Massive kick, unreal stuff from Cooney.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McCloskey man of the match. Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Great win from Ulster. Had to dig deep and they managed to turn around the result. In a great position now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

We really are making this campaign difficult for ourselves. If we can't scrape any bonus points then we may have to win in France...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus that harlequins sub 9 really took the piss with his time wasting at the base of the ruck. 5 seconds to use the ball after the ref calls it is just too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

AR telling the ref Quins were offside at the last ruck, ignored again by the ref. He’s really out of his depth at this level. I thought it was going to catch Ulster unfairly at the end.

AdamD wrote: »
    Jesus that harlequins sub 9 really took the piss with his time wasting at the base of the ruck. 5 seconds to use the ball after the ref calls it is just too much

Yea that was a joke.

Great game but thought Ulster were poor overall. I think harlequins came over with zero pressure and showed a good deal of freedom and composure. It took a moment of absolute madness to hand the game to Ulster but the visitors did little to justify how close the game ended up being.

Good result but need to be a lot better next week. Ulster still taking a step back at random times during the season - need more consistency.

As much as I enjoy randomly hyping up Baloucoune and Lyttle, I really am beginning to think they should be ahead of Gilroy - he has looked far too hesitant and sluggish in attack recently, and his defence and other intangibles were never to a high standard anyway. When you consider that his line breaking and footwork were what made him a great player, you have to think he's a little lucky to have that starting spot right now.

Was also disappointed in Stockdale. Overplayed the ball at times.

Henderson and McCloskey saved me from crying myself to sleep tonight, roll on next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Realistically, Ulster probably playing for runner up spot. Can they go to Clermont and not lose? I’m not so sure... I think Clermont will top group and Ulster will qualify in 2nd place. Ulster should be better next week and they should beat Bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I would hope we won't be as poor as that again. Our own worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I would hope we won't be as poor as that again. Our own worst enemy.

That was our worst performance of the season, but we got the win...deserved or not...

McCloskey man of the match. He was as good as he was bad today. But I suppose he came good in the big moments.

McBurney continues to close the gap on Herring.

As much as I enjoy randomly hyping up Baloucoune and Lyttle, I really am beginning to think they should be ahead of Gilroy - he has looked far too hesitant and sluggish in attack recently, and his defence and other intangibles were never to a high standard anyway. When you consider that his line breaking and footwork were what made him a great player, you have to think he's a little lucky to have that starting spot right now.

Was also disappointed in Stockdale. Overplayed the ball at times.

Henderson and McCloskey saved me from crying myself to sleep tonight, roll on next week.

Balacoune should definitely be in contention next week.

You say Stockdale was poor, maybe he was, but in the two minutes McCloskey could have put him into loads of space but decided not to pass. I honestly thought McCloskey had some really poor moments today. But I'll need to watch it again I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Very lucky to win today.
    So many unforced turnovers almost cost them dearly.

Agree the lack of BPs will cost them. Clermont def in the driving seat even before this weekend.

bilston wrote: »

You say Stockdale was poor, maybe he was, but in the two minutes McCloskey could have put him into loads of space but decided not to pass. I honestly thought McCloskey had some really poor moments today. But I'll need to watch it again I suppose.

Could be right, my perspective might be skewed a bit because of the try and offload. Definitely had some lowlights to go with the highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Yes, McCloskey made some mistakes but he has obviously been asked to a, carry hard and b, create space and linebreaks in part by offloading.

B, is being advocated by lots of people including myself especially in light of the poor results with the Conservative approach at the wc. B will inevitably lead to errors but also linebreaks and scores. He set up one try and scored one. Teams need players who can cause or make breaks. Quinns 2nd rows were even bouncing off him at times. He should be looked at at Ire camp for sure. For all the hype I'm not sold on Aki being better. He forced a few but without him tonight Ulster would not have won.

Marshall was good.

In terms of Stockdale I thought he did pretty well actually. Team/ Burns didn't use him enough. He has to push his involvement as well of course.

Burns is the man with the crossfield kicks but just passes everything on aside from that. Not much of a threat himself.

Cooney butchered a score with a 2 on 1.

You have to ask whether Gilly is doing enough to be ahead of Bobby B. I thought Gilroy slipped off one or two tackles today. As I said pre match Balacoune maybe doesn't have enough rugby under his belt this season.

Thought Treadwell did well from the bench. Also credit to Faddes. He was only on the pitch briefly but that was his best effort to date. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

You have to ask whether Gilly is doing enough to be ahead of Bobby B. I thought Gilroy slipped off one or two tackles today. As I said pre match Balacoune maybe doesn't have enough rugby under his belt this season.

Thought Treadwell did well from the bench. Also credit to Faddes. He was only on the pitch briefly but that was his best effort to date. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Gilly - fair comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

McCloskey must be knackered. They are flogging him. As physical as he plays it must really be tough getting up the next day. I reckon he's going to be rested up over xmass. Gilroy is just back from a back injury. It will take a few matches to get up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Was at the game. Ulster were some way off their best but showed character in coming back when they looked like they were going to lose. Harlequins IMHO are an average English Premiership side and we should have put them away comfortably. Stockdale should be back on the wing next weekend with Faddes or Ludik at full back and Balacoune on the other wing.

Was at the game. Ulster were some way off their best but showed character in coming back when they looked like they were going to lose. Harlequins IMHO are an average English Premiership side and we should have put them away comfortably. Stockdale should be back on the wing next weekend with Faddes or Ludik at full back and Balacoune on the other wing.

Stockdale got a lot more touches at 15 than he has been getting on the wing. Whether it worked or not I don't know, he didn't play badly, he had a couple of good moments.

Defensively Harlequins numbered up very well, it was hard to break them down, plus they seemed to play fast and loose with the offside line.

We will see how next week goes.

Also when do we start discussing the hooker position. I like Herring, but I just think McBurney has the potential to go all the way to the very top and he is starting to show it consistently from the bench.

McBurney is class. Really abrasive.

Don’t know who started the ruckus after his try but it could well have been him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »
    McBurney is class. Really abrasive.

Don’t know who started the ruckus after his try but it could well have been him.

Im hoping Andy Farrell doesn't try and "play Murray back into form"

This bollocks of players below Murray not being good enough needs to end. A player in better form will offer more.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Im hoping Andy Farrell doesn't try and "play Murray back into form"

This bollocks of players below Murray not being good enough needs to end. A player in better form will offer more.

I agree but not sure McBurney is the answer at 9. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Referee was poor. Harlequins hooker was play acting before what seemed every other lineout and incurred wrath of crowd.

Advertisement