Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

A British and Irish League has been talked about for years. I think the difference now is the involvement of CVC so it is a real possibility now. I still think it will be a few years away though.

Regards Ulster, we just have a mental bloc when it comes to Leinster in Dublin. It's like how Ireland used to be when going to France in the 80s and 90s, even the 00s with the exception of 2000 when BOD scored a hat trick

• Administrators Posts: 53,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    A British and Irish League has been talked about for years. I think the difference now is the involvement of CVC so it is a real possibility now. I still think it will be a few years away though.

Regards Ulster, we just have a mental bloc when it comes to Leinster in Dublin. It's like how Ireland used to be when going to France in the 80s and 90s, even the 00s with the exception of 2000 when BOD scored a hat trick

When was the last time Ulster sent a strong selection to the RDS for a regular season fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    When was the last time Ulster sent a strong selection to the RDS for a regular season fixture?

Probably back when Clancy was determined to play on for a week to ensure Leinster won

bilston wrote: »
    Probably back when Clancy was determined to play on for a week to ensure Leinster won

Was thinking the same, that was 2013 I think.

These fixtures should be the highlight of the pro14 season, instead they're a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Still making my mind up on whether to go or not.

Your home province playing on your doorstep and you’re not going to attend? I know it was miserable last year, but I’d imagine it will be a better contest this year. McFarland seems to have instilled a backbone this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    Your home province playing on your doorstep and you’re not going to attend? I know it was miserable last year, but I’d imagine it will be a better contest this year. McFarland seems to have instilled a backbone this season.

Hard to blame awec when Ulster are set up to fail.
    I wouldn't go to see Ulster vs Munster in Ravenhill for the same reason.

Depends what sort of team we send. If it's the usual watered down selection, then it's going to be the usual comfortable home win.

Someone posted on the Ulster supporters facebook that they saw Stockdale go off on his holidays today at the airport, so fair to say that it's likely we're giving those guys this week and next week off.

Depends what sort of team we send. If it's the usual watered down selection, then it's going to be the usual comfortable home win.

Someone posted on the Ulster supporters facebook that they saw Stockdale go off on his holidays today at the airport, so fair to say that it's likely we're giving those guys this week and next week off.

Doubt any of out internationals will be playing much over the Xmas either. Also likely we will be starting with either Frawley or Harry Byrne for all the inter pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The RWC players are on an IRFU mandated 2 week break. I must say I disagree with this crap. Players get better by playing, they don't get f*cking tired. They are young professional athletes ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

jacothelad wrote: »
    The RWC players are on an IRFU mandated 2 week break. I must say I disagree with this crap. Players get better by playing, they don't get f*cking tired. They are young professional athletes ffs.

They haven't had as much time off this year because of the world cup. They deserve the break.

• Advertisement

Doubt any of out internationals will be playing much over the Xmas either. Also likely we will be starting with either Frawley or Harry Byrne for all the inter pros.

Yes, but Leinster minus their internationals is a totally different prospect than Ulster minus their internationals (or any other province, for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

How are the understudies supposed to improve? It's an opportunity for Rea, Timoney, Bill Johnson etc. They will get important minutes!. It's where the lads will learn and develop.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    How are the understudies supposed to improve? It's an opportunity for Rea, Timoney, Bill Johnson etc. They will get important minutes!. It's where the lads will learn and develop.

They improve by playing alongside the best players. Not instead of them.

Am I missing my count or are there only 5 players affected for Ulster?

Clancy for Friday.

We're stuffed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clancy for Friday.

We're stuffed.

you can start a game with o Toole, McBurney, moore, O Connor, Threadwell, coetzee, Rea, Reidy, cooney, burns (possibly), McClosky, Marshall, Balacoune, Faddes, Ludik, with gilroy, johnson, shanahan, etc on the bench.....

apart from connacht, you actually have the least disruption from internationals being rested....

but yeah, your still gonna get stuffed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Nah. Use the weans. Rest everyone. Concentrate on home game, Clermont and Bath.

Nah. Use the weans. Rest everyone. Concentrate on home game, Clermont and Bath.

yes you absolutely should... but lest be clear, that's ulsters decision, not IRFUs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

If we can even draw in Clermont, we should come top of the group. Go hell for leather for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

jacothelad wrote: »

Be interested to see your S&C degree there Jaco :pac:

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    you can start a game with o Toole, McBurney, moore, O Connor, Threadwell, coetzee, Rea, Reidy, cooney, burns (possibly), McClosky, Marshall, Balacoune, Faddes, Ludik, with gilroy, johnson, shanahan, etc on the bench.....

apart from connacht, you actually have the least disruption from internationals being rested....

but yeah, your still gonna get stuffed :D

I would be amazed if Cooney, Coetzee and Burns play on Friday.

I would be amazed if Cooney, Coetzee and Burns play on Friday.

i don't expect them to....

but i wouldnt be blaming IRFU player welfare programme if they dont.... and then bemoaning the point swapping xmas interpros.

i don't expect them to....

but i wouldnt be blaming IRFU player welfare programme if they dont.... and then bemoaning the point swapping xmas interpros.

I would.

I'd rather play Cooney, Coetzee and the likes in these big games against Leinster, Munster etc and rest them in games against the Kings, Dragons and the other dross where we'll not miss them.

But the way the fixtures are scheduled (deliberately) it is setup so we have to rest them against interpro rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Be interested to see your S&C degree there Jaco :pac:

It's also worth noting that the players got less than 2 weeks off after the RWC and before that had only 2 (?) weeks off prior to the RWC prep. So since the start of the calendar year theyve had less than 4 weeks off. They wont be getting another break now until July. So that's 5-6 weeks in 18 months. Theres a human element to this as well let's not forget.

I would.

I'd rather play Cooney, Coetzee and the likes in these big games against Leinster, Munster etc and rest them in games against the Kings, Dragons and the other dross where we'll not miss them.

But the way the fixtures are scheduled (deliberately) it is setup so we have to rest them against interpro rivals.

The IRFU have no hand, act or part to play in when cooney, coetzee, burns et al play.

That's purely an ulster decision

The IRFU have no hand, act or part to play in when cooney, coetzee, burns et al play.

That's purely an ulster decision

Who do you think schedules these interpros back to back at Christmas time?

not at all the point....

the IRFU do not decide when the likes of coetzee, cooney or burns play... thats what the point is.

the can dictate when the likes of henderson etc can play (as RWC panelled players) but of course when you accept than, and accept that both munster and leinster are actually without more first team players than ulster... you would have to face the uncomfortable truth that if ulster wanted, they could play a strong side for this leinster game

instead, they are picking their battles, deciding what games are more important, and planning accordingly.

which is completely fine.... but you have to accept that is completely within the remit of ulsters decision making, not IRFUs

That’s to minimize travel over the Christmas period and suits the entire league.

not at all the point....

the IRFU do not decide when the likes of coetzee, cooney or burns play... thats what the point is.

the can dictate when the likes of henderson etc can play (as RWC panelled players) but of course when you accept than, and accept that both munster and leinster are actually without more first team players than ulster... you would have to face the uncomfortable truth that if ulster wanted, they could play a strong side for this leinster game

instead, they are picking their battles, deciding what games are more important, and planning accordingly.

which is completely fine.... but you have to accept that is completely within the remit of ulsters decision making, not IRFUs

You're missing my point.

Ulster could not play their strongest team against 7 weeks in a row. It's impossible.

Yes, Ulster pick their team every week and it's up to them, but these fixtures are deliberately scheduled at a time when teams have absolutely no choice but to rotate players in and out.

Ulster must rest players in the interpros because the IRFU decided they have to play 3 interpros sandwiched between 4 euro games.

To suggest the IRFU have no hand in the teams selected for these games is more than a bit disengenuous.

• Advertisement

You're missing my point.

Ulster could not play their strongest team against 7 weeks in a row. It's impossible.

Yes, Ulster pick their team every week and it's up to them, but these fixtures are deliberately scheduled at a time when teams have absolutely no choice but to rotate players in and out.

Ulster must rest players in the interpros because the IRFU decided they have to play 3 interpros sandwiched between 4 euro games.

To suggest the IRFU have no hand in the teams selected for these games is more than a bit disengenuous.

do you think the welsh are complaining that they don't have to travel at christmas?? the scots? italians or boks?

if everyone of the stakeholders of the Pro14 are happy then why is it the IRFUs fault?

i fully get your point, though i dont agree with it.

whats stopping Ulster putting out as strong a team as possible this weekend, and playing a weakened leinster team in dublin?

pragmatism and injuries are the only things stopping them.
    the IRFU certainly are not.

Advertisement